2024 Entry Draft

On 9/24/2023 at 4:09 PM, Hammertime said:

I'll probably be attending several Rockets games this year looking forward to seeing Tij in action. 

Medicine Hat and Brandon are the two teams I have circled on my proverbial calendar for draft fans this year in the Dub. For the Tigers Gavin McKenna seems to be odds on favorite for first overall 2026 so far, and Lindstrom should go top 10 or 15 at least in 2024. And for the Wheat Kings Roger McQueen looks like top 10 for 2025 easy, and Charlie Elick should be a 2024 first rounder, and of course Nate Danielson should be back.

I would strongly encourage everyone interested in this year's draft class to have a look at Trevor Connelly. @isam would always give me shit for basing an evaluation on one tournament, but have a look at USA games from Hlinkas. P35 Sports has them on youtube. He's not the dependable, mature two-way force Celebrini is, nor the explosive athletic freak Cole Eiserman is, but I'd rank the top three pure dynamic skill players this year as Catton, Demidov, Connelly. While the former two are a little more timid in traffic, Connelly is tenacious, intense, ferocious - a little bit of a dog-on-bone mentality. He doesn't have the two-way IQ of a Catton or Celebrini, but I'd put his offensive creativity and cunning up there with anyone in this draft. He's not gonna have a lot of great exposure this season as all eyes are on NTDP internationally from here on. I guess he'll be at WJAC (U19s), but it's worth checking out those Hlinka games/clips.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...

Since we're in the market for over agers there are few guys that might be worth a 2nd look this year. We definitely need to add size that can play. Sometimes these bigger guys take a little while to gain coordination and break out later. 

German Tochilkin  6'3 180 lbs FWD from the small amount I've seen he's looked great in the VHL, and seems to have done well for Kunlun in the K last year. he's got some wheels for his size. 

Daniil O. Ivanov 6'5 210 lb LHD having a whale of a start to the year in the VHL.

Ethan Whitcomb 6'4 205 RW He fluidly dekes through opponents upon receiving passes, and even manipulates their feet first. Inside-driven, he drives the net, but knows when to cut back or pass for a better look. He has the vision to spot teammates through layers and the creativity connect. And he’s always looking to win body positioning on opponent. -EliteProspects 2023 NHL Draft Guide

Artyom Kashtanov 6'6 LHD At 6-foot-6, Kashtanov skates well for a player his size, and uses his reach to his advantage. He runs around defenders with his long strides, all while using his reach to keep the puck away from them. -EliteProspects 2023 NHL Draft Guide

And I'll leave you with probably my favorite undrafted player from last year Tommaso De Luca I really thought highly of the Italian as a late round gem out of the Dub and could have seen him go as high as the 3rd. This year it's back to the Swiss NL for him where he seems to be holding his own so far getting his feet wet playing 2nd line which ain't half bad at all. Look for him to demolish the u20 elit if he struggles with the NL. 

Edited by Hammertime
  • Cheers 1

19 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Is Anton Silayev for real, a 17 year old 6'7" Dman with 7 point in 17 games in the KHL? 

12 hours ago, Jim Tim said:

He's really cooled down since his hot start as far as stats go, anyone been watching the games?

Yeah I've watched a few and it's really tough to say. I've compared his upside to the like of Zdeno Chara or Dustin Byfuglien, but as of yet I'm not very sold that he'll get there. There's nothing very special about him outside of his size, power and physicality. But that doesn't mean he's another John Scott. Nothing very special, but he seems to skate fairly well for his size, and plays a well-rounded game. I mean for guys like Chara and Buff as well, they weren't all that highly regarded as prospects, but they did enough well enough that the size/power/physicality combination could be a major separating factor in itself, and the skill level was never elite but wasn't holding them back. And he doesn't look quite as lanky as some of these huge kids you see at this age; kid is going to be a monster when fully grown.

I guess one thing that stands out positively is how involved he gets deep in the offensive zone, helping his team to win board battles and gain or maintain offensive zone possession. And then as far as getting back, he's not a great skater per se but he's decent enough that with his length he can cover a lot of ground pretty quick once he gets going. Maybe Jamie Oleksiak would be kind of a floor, but he does seem to be a better passer and playmaker than I remember Oleksiak ever being around that age. His rankings in and around the 5-10 range seems a little bit knee-jerk to me and may be based more on the stats than eyeball tests. He's in my top 15 right now but so far I'd have Levshunov, Jiricek and Dickinson ahead of him for defensemen.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

On 9/17/2023 at 8:09 PM, MatchesMalone said:

I caught the MHL Loko - SKA match last night / this morning. Wanted to see Arseni Ilyin vs. Yegor Surin but got an unexpected bonus as it turns out Daniil But had just been sent down and was playing for Loko. Can't get over what an under-rated playmaker he is. Unreal. Came away with a goal and assist in 19 minutes. He's way too good for that league but not quite ready for KHL. Not sure why they're not sending him to their VHL affiliate Molot Perm.

My first time seeing Arseni Ilyin, who isn't NHL draft-eligible until 2026 as a December 24 birthday 2007. Looking at the stats it seems like he could be one of the best prospects to come out of Russia in recent years. Looked just ok in this one, but he's the youngest player in the entire league, among players up to around 5 years older. Won some battles, forced a couple turnovers, but I was expecting to see a little more flash from him.

But back to the 2024 draft, Yegor Surin is '24 eligible, and the only way to describe him is he's a heat-seeking missile. Listed at just 5'10 but he looks like a stocky young man, and he hits everything that moves. He finished the game credited with nine hits, and not one of them did the stat-keeper have to think twice about. Sure to be a fan-favorite for an NHL team some day. Other than that he looked pretty strong in the corners and protecting the puck down low.

Though I'm thrilled MGMT took their shot on a RHD, I really wanted But at that pick. I think-with/hope-with Lekkerimaki and Willander/Hunter Alvin is taking the long game approach. stealth rebuild if you will. I don't get the impression these guys will be rushed like we saw with all of our former prospects. If our scouting can continue to dig guys like Hirose, McWard, Bains etc they will eventually dig a gem. I'm cautiously optimistic.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

4 hours ago, Hammertime said:

Though I'm thrilled MGMT took their shot on a RHD, I really wanted But at that pick. I think-with/hope-with Lekkerimaki and Willander/Hunter Alvin is taking the long game approach. stealth rebuild if you will. I don't get the impression these guys will be rushed like we saw with all of our former prospects. If our scouting can continue to dig guys like Hirose, McWard, Bains etc they will eventually dig a gem. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Lol so much for sending him to the VHL. He did look pretty lost those first couple games of the year in KHL. I dunno if it was mostly just nerves or confidence or what, but holy man I watched some of his past couple games and he looks unstoppable at times. I talked about this a lot with Miro his draft year but that's the biggest adjustment from MHL to KHL for this type of player, is in junior you can get away with relying mostly on skill and smarts, which But has in spades and so never needed to play much of a power game at that level. I was expecting it would take a couple years for him to really find that element to his game and use his size to his advantage, but he's showing serious flashes that he's finding it already, leaning on guys and protecting the puck, and doing it with pace. Veteran KHL defenders are already having trouble handling him.

It was no secret how high I was on But late last season (had him 7th overall), and he's only exceeding expectations. But honestly I was never very hopeful at all that the Canucks would take that risk. I prefer But to Willander as prospects, but given the geopolitical situation I'm more than happy the Canucks took Willander.

I caught the Novgorod game this morning. Thought it was hands-down the worst game I've seen from Silayev yet. Just one of those games it seems like everything he does is wrong. Worth noting that they were almost all skill-related and not errors in decision-making: mishandled pucks, flubbed passes, losing an edge. Maybe just fatigue accumulating for a young player playing a lot of minutes at a physical level he's not accustomed to.

Artamonov is continuing to grow on me. I said before I liked what I saw from him but wasn't sure how much should be attributed to playing on a line with the best player in KHL. Kovalenko has been out hurt and Artamonov continues to impress. Nothing too flashy about him but he plays an intelligent, mature offensive game with a little bit of skill. Best early guess is he goes in the 3rd-4th round range.

2024 NHL Draft Notebook: Sam Dickinson, Tomas Galvas, and Beckett Sennecke

Sam Dickinson, Tomas Galvas and Beckett Sennecke are three talented prospects and after impressive showings recently, their stock could be set to climb, writes Tony Ferrari.

As we begin another year of draft analysis and prospect evaluations, I look to give more insight into the process of how I track draft-eligible players throughout the year. Through numerous views, both live and in person, I do my best to evaluate what I see on the ice with players from their big flashy plays and highlight reel goals or assists, to minor details such as board play or off-puck tracking.

In this new bi-weekly series, I will open up my notebook to give you a peek behind the curtain. Throughout the season, I maintain a “notebook” with scouting reports on players throughout the year. While I don’t write a game report for every game I watch of a player, I attempt to do so for the majority of the views I have on a player. This provides me with an excellent chance to track a player's development throughout the season and note improvements or shortcomings in their play.

In the first notebook of the year, we will look at London Knights’ defenseman Sam Dickinson, Czech defender Tomas Galvas, and Oshawa Generals’ winger Beckett Sennecke.

Sam Dickinson, LHD, London (OHL), 6-foot-3, 194 pounds

September 30, 2023 - Dickinson was a force at both ends of the ice in this game, putting up a goal and two assists offensively and thwarting just about every chance defensively. He was on the ice for a goal against while on the penalty kill but it was a bit fluky. He had his man tied up on the back side and an opponent shot the puck off of the London goalie’s back from the goal line on the opposite side of the crease.

His gap control was excellent when defending the rush, using his stick to dislodge the puck and jump onto it quickly to move it up ice. His skating was simply fantastic. Dickinson was unshakable for the opposing attackers, staying with them whenever they tried to evade or stop and start in an effort to lose him. He used his edges effectively to evade pressure with the puck on his stick. His elusiveness when dealing with a forecheck was impressive as well, reading where they were attacking and sneaking out into space.

Dickinson’s transition ability and speed were evident throughout the game. He attacked downhill, pushing defenders back onto their heels while overwhelming them with his agility at top speeds. Dickinson’s shot was a big presence in this game as he was more than willing to send a booming slap shot on net from time to time, setting himself up to fake it with a windup and then move laterally before firing a snapshot from a better spot. His lateral mobility allowed him to open shooting and passing lanes throughout the offensive zone, attacking down the wall or penetrating the slot. On a couple of occasions, he stared down the goaltender to draw in the attention and eyes of defenders and the netminder alike before sending an east-west pass across the slot. One assist came on a play like this. His other assist came as he joined the offensive play late with speed, attacking down the slot and then sending a hook pass back to a lone teammate in front of the net. Dickinson was simply a force of nature in this game. He was the best player on the ice and it really wasn’t close.

Tomas Galvas, LHD, Liberec (Czech), 5-foot-10, 148 pounds

September 27, 2023 - It was immediately apparent in this game that Galvas plays the game at a higher pace than most players in the Czech league. His skating is upper echelon and he used it so effectively in all facets of the game. Galvas closed gaps quickly, got into the body of the attacking players when defending transition and forced mistakes regularly. Galvas was so quick to jump on a loose puck in the defensive and neutral zones.

Galvas’ entire game is built upon his impressive skating. In transition, Galvas is a slick passer and a more than willing puck carrier. He has the puck skill and handling ability that allow him to evade traffic and make space for himself. In the offensive zone, he is slick and agile. He moves incredibly well laterally and understands spacing in the attacking zone at a high level. He jumps into skating lanes and activates down the wall. Galvas has precise passing and he looks to find teammates in high danger. He reads the very well, exploiting seams and penetrating the slot. Galvas scored a goal by joining the rush, getting behind defenders, and receiving a pass to get in on his own before burying the puck from in tight. Galvas was buzzing all over the ice in this game and it kicks off his scouting coverage at a big-time high.

Beckett Sennecke, RW, Oshawa

(OHL), 6-foot-2, 181 pounds

October 1, 2023 - The Oshawa Generals are relying on Sennecke to be an important part of the squad right now and he is showing well in the expanded role. His ability to layer his skills is impressive considering none of his individual skills are overly impressive in their own right. This allows Sennecke to generate more of an impact overall. His two assists in this game came from maintaining a high compete level while using his passing skill to advance play. His second assist in particular was impressive even if it was a secondary assist. Gathering the puck in the offensive zone, he got tripped to his knees. He steadied himself by extending one leg as he corralled the puck and then passed to his teammate in the high slot while down on his knee.

Sennecke’s intelligence was shown throughout the game as he would arrive to his spots on time, on the right side of the puck, and provide his teammates with support when needed. He was consistently providing his defenseman with an outlet for the breakout, staying low along the boards or cutting into open space for a pass. Sennecke understood the need to hunt down loose pucks, maintain possession, and force opponents into mistakes as well. There were a number of times when his neutral zone pressure would lead to a puck being dumped in without support or a turnover that can be turned up ice quickly. Overall, Sennecke put together a nice showing early in the draft season.

Tony Ferrari

https://apple.news/ATPZXMKPwSEiU5g9y_cbEoQ

2024 NHL Draft rankings: Two-horse race forming at the top

There's no Connor Bedard in the 2024 NHL Draft class, as two players are emerging as candidates to go first overall.

A new scouting cycle is well underway for the 2024 NHL Draft, and while there is no Connor Bedard among this cohort, there is a lot to be excited about.

Macklin Celebrini and Cole Eiserman seem like a two-horse race for first overall at this point, but Russian Ivan Demidov provides an intriguing third option up front. The top half of the opening round is also heavy with defense prospects, perhaps none more intriguing than 6-foot-7 Anton Silayev.

It’s a well-balanced draft class that seems to drop off around pick 15, but there are plenty of intriguing prospects who will find their way into first-round discussions.

Here’s Yahoo Sports’ top-25 NHL Draft rankings for October:

1. Macklin Celebrini, C (Boston University, NCAA)

As a 17-year-old NCAA rookie, expectations are still high. Celebrini had a stellar season in the USHL, scoring 46 goals as a 16-year-old, and 15 points in seven games at the U-18 World Championships for Canada. He projects as a dynamic two-way center who could be a top-line player in the NHL for years to come.

His start to his NCAA career was as expected, as he scored a goal and an assist in his first career game. Following the path of Adam Fantilli last year in the NCAA, Celebrini looks like he’s capable of big things.

2. Cole Eiserman, LW (USNTDP)

The NCAA was put on notice after Eiserman decommitted from Minnesota and committed to join Celebrini at Boston University. His shot is Eiserman’s best asset, as he can beat goaltenders and evade defenders with a quick and deceptive release. Eiserman toppled the 100-point mark last season with USA’s national team development program, and was dynamic for Team USA at the U-18 Worlds.

He’s on pace for another 100-point season and projects as a top-line producer in the NHL, and it could turn out to be a dealer's choice whether Celebrini or Eiserman end up going first overall.

3. Ivan Demidov, RW (SKA St. Petersburg, KHL)

Welcome to this year’s Matvei Michkov. He’s not as dynamic as Michkov, but the situation rings similar. Demidov is a strong two-way player with a high compete level who attacks with speed, but it’s hard to see his full offensive potential in the KHL, where he’s buried or scratched.

He produced in the MHL last season at an impressive rate, but found himself off to a slow start bouncing between the KHL, VHL, and MHL this season. Demidov is under contract with SKA St. Petersburg through 2024-25, so the wait is not as severe as it was for Michkov. His skill is top end, and would make him a top three lock, but will the Russian factor see him slide?

4. Berkly Catton, C (Spokane, WHL)

Catton’s production is hard to deny both in the WHL and as Canada’s leader at the Hlinka Gretzky Cup, where he tallied eight goals in five games.

He’s on pace to reach 100 points in the WHL, which will lock him into a top-10 spot in the draft given the variety of methods he uses to produce and drive offense. Catton can create in tight, but can also beat defenders on the rush.

5. Artyom Levshunov, RHD (Michigan State University, NCAA)

The 6-foot-2 right-shot defender has the unteachable tools of size and being right-handed that could cause some general managers to look at him before similarly talented defenders. Levshunov, a Belarusian, showed his inclination to join the attack in the USHL last season, and is already playing key minutes, including on the power play for Michigan State.

One factor NHL teams will look at with Levshunov is that he’s a lot closer to NHL-ready than most in this draft.

6. Sam Dickinson, LHD (London, OHL)

Incredibly mobile given his 6-foot-3 frame, Dickinson plays a puck-moving game, reading lanes well and choosing his opportunities. He can transport the puck himself, but his first pass is what jumpstarts the play whenever he is on the ice.

There’s a ton of upside here, and Dickinson looks like a low-risk pick in the opening half of the first round.

7. Adam Jiricek, RHD (Plzen, Czechia)

Jiricek thrives in an up-tempo system where he can freely join the attack. At the same time, he’s an effective defender using his 6-foot-2 frame to close lanes. He’s splitting time this season between Czechia’s U-20 league and the top pro league in the country, which will give him seasoning against tougher competition.

If you need to picture his game, imagine David Jiricek — his older brother drafted sixth overall in 2022 — but with slightly less offensive output.

8. Anton Silayev, LHD (Torpedo Nizhny Novgorod, KHL)

There’s a block of defenders with top-10 potential and Silayev is another who is playing significant minutes as a teenager in the KHL and producing offensively. Oh yes, and he’s 6-foot-7.

Silayev could climb this list again, and when his contract expires in 2025-26, he’d be an immediate addition — if all goes as planned — to an NHL roster.

The assets he brings have scouts drooling; how those parts come together as a whole will decide his ceiling.

9. Konsta Helenius, RW (Jukurit, Liiga)

With almost a full season in Liiga already under his belt as a 16-year-old last year, Helenius looks stronger and more capable in Liiga already this year, using the speed and physicality he displayed against his peers to challenge defenders.

By the time all is said and done, Kelenius could find himself on a Leo Carlsson trajectory, fighting his way up this list.

10. Henry Mews, RHD (Ottawa, OHL)

Some like their defenders to play with an element of risk, others not so much. If you’re in the former category, the six-foot, right-shot Mews is for you. Mews loves to join in on the rush and slide down in the offensive zone. As he learns to choose those spots better and better, his impact will grow and grow.

Right now, Mews has the speed and compete level to make up for the times he’s wrong. How that adapts at the pro level will define what he’s able to do.

11. Zayne Parekh, RHD (Saginaw, OHL)

If you can’t spot the trend, the parade of talented defenders continues with Parekh, who scored 21 goals as a rookie defender in the OHL last season. He distributes the puck well, but also loves to shoot, finding lanes and accurately getting pucks through net-front chaos.

He’s a good skater who thrives in a fast-paced game.

12. Trevor Connelly, C (Tri-City, USHL)

Connelly is off to a strong start to his second USHL campaign, scoring at more than a point-per-game pace.

He’s headed to Providence College next season, and loves to play a puck-possession game. When the puck is on his stick, Connelly can be deceptive, and while he loves to shoot, he can also dish.

13. Aron Kiviharju, LHD (HIFK, Liiga)

Few names have been tied to the 2024 NHL Draft as long as Kiviharju. His jump to Liiga as a young teen likely hurt his progression, as the 5-foot-10 blueliner took his lumps. Meanwhile, against peers at U-18 and U-20 competitions, he flashed top-five potential.

Kiviharju suffered a serious injury in practice to open the 2024 season and will miss four months. From a draft stock that was already sliding, Kiviharju could find himself at the end of the first round — or out of it entirely — but his skill and upside are immense. He is a top-10 player when healthy.

14. Ryder Ritchie, RW (Prince Albert, WHL)

Ritchie leans toward a playmaking game, but he has a hard shot that he freely utilizes from anywhere. One of the most exciting parts of Ritchie’s game is his creativity, as he doesn’t shy away from trying things offensively that others would be afraid to do.

Scoring more than a point per game early in the WHL, Ritchie will be a season-long player to watch to see if his output can reach new heights.

15. Igor Chernyshov, LW (Dynamo Moscow, MHL)

Another Russian player who combines size, speed, and unpredictability, Chernyshov belongs somewhere in the opening round. How high he's selected will depend on how his season progresses as he splits time between the MHL and KHL, and again how GMs feel about picking Russian players.

Chernyshov has an advantage as he’s only under contract through next season.

16. Maxim Massé, RW (Chicoutimi, QMJHL)

17. Emil Hemming, RW (TPS, Liiga)

18. Cole Hutson, LHD (USNTDP)

19. Michael Hage, C (Chicago, USHL)

20. Zeev Buium, LHD (University of Denver, NCAA)

21. Michael Brandsegg-Nygard, RW (Mora, Allsvenskan)

22. Tanner Howe, LW (Regina, WHL)

23. Carter Yakemchuk, RHD (Calgary, WHL)

24. Charlie Elick, RHD (Brandon, WHL)

25. Sacha Boisvert, C (Muskegon, USHL)

Next Up: EJ Emery, RHD (USNTDP) Veeti Väisänen, LHD (KooKoo, Liiga), Cole Beaudoin, C (Barrie, OHL), Will Skahan, LHD (USNTDP), Anthony Cristoforo, RHD (Windsor, OHL) Beckett Sennecke, RW (Oshawa, OHL), Cayden Lindstrom, C (Medicine Hat, WHL), Christian Humphreys, C (USNTDP)

Ian Kennedy

Sat, October 14, 2023 at 6:00 AM PDT

https://ca.yahoo.com/sports/news/2024-nhl-draft-rankings-two-horse-race-macklin-celebrini-cole-eiserman-130039817.html

Edited by RWJC
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Controversial take but if I have the first overall pick im rolling the dice and taking Eiserman at the moment. 

I really don't think it's that controversial. They're pretty damn close. Personally I have Connelly number one at the moment, just based on pure upside. Obviously a lot riskier than Celebrini or Eiserman but at this stage in the game who cares? We're just shooting the shit. He has the full season to tidy up his decision-making and show he can play a more mature, translatable game, and if he can do that he deserves to be right there in the mix with those guys.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, MatchesMalone said:

I really don't think it's that controversial. They're pretty damn close. Personally I have Connelly number one at the moment, just based on pure upside. Obviously a lot riskier than Celebrini or Eiserman but at this stage in the game who cares? We're just shooting the shit. He has the full season to tidy up his decision-making and show he can play a more mature, translatable game, and if he can do that he deserves to be right there in the mix with those guys.

You win, yours is way more controversial haha.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

You win, yours is way more controversial haha.

Man he's gonna be a fun one to follow. Not sure if you've seen him but think Trikozov on Speed. He doesn't have Trikozov's power element, but he's not a tiny dude at 6'1, though still pretty skinny. He's a fierce competitor, tenacious on pucks, and ultra skilled. Like Trikozov he's got that willingness to attack defenders with speed, and has the ability to beat people both with his stick skills at pace and also to lower his shoulder and use his body to protect the puck without losing a step. At the USHL and Hlinka levels he goes one-on-two successfully at least once or twice a game on average. But that's also the Trikozov and Stranges (in different ways) curse - when they're feeling it, their linemates might not touch the puck for entire shifts at a time. I said similar things about kids like Stranges, Kent Johnson, Trikozov early in their drafts cycles. Some figured it out quickly, others the jury is still out on. When Connelly does choose to pass the puck, I like his playmaking creativity over Trikozov or Eiserman, or Demidov, but probably not Celebrini. If Connelly can prove to scouts that he can settle his game down a bit over the course of the year, he should easily go top 3 to 5. If he keeps up his shenanigans he could easily fall out of the first round.

From the tops of the faceoff circles in, give me Eiserman over anyone in the past five drafts not named Bedard. For the whole of the ice when his team has the puck, give me Connelly for this year. But for the whole of ice on both sides of the puck, I'll take Celebrini or Levshunov.

Edited by MatchesMalone
  • Cheers 1

There are some real players of interest in the dub this year. IMO some great options for the Canucks I recommend everyone get out to watch these kids when they come to your town. 

Tij Iginla F Rockets we couldn't get his dad but Tij looks like an apple that didn't fall far. And maybe one day we get to see Jerome in a Canucks jersey after all. 

Tanner Howe C Pats  he's taken over the C from Bedard and is running with it. 19 points through his 1st 12 games.   

Terik Parascak Cougs RW Seems to be scoring at will. Sure he's got some great line mates but 12g in his first 10 games it's worth taking a good look at him. 

Ryder Ritchie Raiders RW was a Hilinka standout. Offspring of Canuck legend Byron. 

Adam Jecho Oil Kings behemoth RW with a knack for clapping bombs. Somehow we need a 2nd for this kid. 

Charlie Elick RHD Wheat Kings we should be taking a flyer on him with our first. He ticks all the boxes if he's there at our pick MGMT makes their way to the stage like their on Soul train. 

Any Giants fans in the house? Let's get a lil hype going for Thorpe / Titlbach could be real 3rd round gems there. 

And of course these 2 will probably be going top 10 Carter Yakemchuk RHD Hitmen and F Berkly Catton Spookaine  I don't think we'll have a chance to draft them. 

The Canucks could be well served by heavily scouting players in our own backyard this year.

• Cheers 2

Since we will most certainly be taking Swedes at the draft. Kids to watch.

Simon Zether is the guy to me that cuts cleanly away from the pack as a 1st rounder. Yes yes Nygard (from Norway), Zetterberg, and Wallenius are interesting but I don't see them as 1st rounders probably good 2nd's which we don't have I' digress i"ll eat my words later I'm sure. But I'm not pounding the table rn for them over.

If we are digging for gold in the late rounds I would like to bring up. 

Lucas Pettersson 

Because of course! But seriously this kid can play. I think there's good middle 6 upside there, time will tell. But I think his hockey sense makes him very valuable at the C position. There could be a core piece in the making with him. if Zether is the bride Pettersson is the bridesmaid for us unless we somehow get a 2nd. 

Noel Fransen is the other 13 G in 17 games J20 The kid can shoot how fricking badly do we need a point shot yes yes he's also good at other thing's and has decent size. Did I mention he scores goals from the point! With our 3rd I like this kid. 

Edited by Hammertime
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

As usual I'll be tracking stats vs NCAA DI opponents for some top prospects from the NTDP U18s. They're already 4 games game into their DI tour this year.

Cole Eiserman 3-5-2-7  +2

James Hagens:  3-2-2-4  0

Christian Humphreys 4-2-2-4  -5

Teddy Stiga 4-1-4-5  +2

Kamil Bednarik 3-2-3-5  -1

Austin Baker 4-1-2-3  -3

Cole Hutson 4-2-3-5  -2

Logan Hensler 4-0-3-3  -2

Edited by MatchesMalone
  • Cheers 1

11 hours ago, MatchesMalone said:

As usual I'll be tracking stats vs NCAA DI opponents for some top prospects from the NTDP U18s. They're already 4 games game into their DI tour this year.

Cole Eiserman 3-5-2-7  +2

James Hagens:  3-2-2-4  0

Christian Humphreys 4-2-2-4  -5

Teddy Stiga 4-1-4-5  +2

Kamil Bednarik 3-2-3-5  -1

Austin Baker 4-1-2-3  -3

Cole Hutson 4-2-3-5  -2

Logan Hensler 4-0-3-3  -2

Do you follow many of the prospects in Major Junior?  Cayden Lindstrom looks like an intriguing potential 1st round prospect.

Rare breed of speed and size and plays a little gritty. He's the kind of player Tocc would love (IMO).   

Don't let the name fool you, he's not Swedish (BC boy) so Alvin probably wouldn't consider him. LOL

Canucks have done a good job stocking the cupboards with (high-potential) defensive prospects.

I feel we should try restocking our Center depth in the next draft. If the Canucks make the postseason Lindstrom might be available.   

17 years old - 6'5 - 215lbs 

Plays Center - Left shot  

Team: Medicine Hat Tigers 

GP 12 - 10 Goals - 5 Assists 

Ranked #26 by CONSOLIDATED RANKING

Ranked #25 by THE HOCKEY NEWS

Ranked #19 by TSN/CRAIG BUTTON

• Cheers 1

Just found this (Below) in one of your previous posts, so you can disregard my inquiry. LOL

Medicine Hat and Brandon are the two teams I have circled on my proverbial calendar for draft fans this year in the Dub. For the Tigers Gavin McKenna seems to be odds on favorite for first overall 2026 so far, and Lindstrom should go top 10 or 15 at least in 2024. And for the Wheat Kings Roger McQueen looks like top 10 for 2025 easy, and Charlie Elick should be a 2024 first rounder, and of course Nate Danielson should be back.

• Cheers 1

16 hours ago, Blitz-Pix said:

Just found this (Below) in one of your previous posts, so you can disregard my inquiry. LOL

To be honest I do watch more NCAA and European pro than I watch any kind of junior leagues, except when I see the Blades live. I try to watch as much as I can of the different international tournaments, like the U17 Challenge and Hlinka Cup, which is where I saw Lindstrom. U17s is always the first time I see a lot of the new prospects, but usually I'll have a few players to keep an eye on from perusing stats on EP. Lindstrom was not at all on my radar, but he caught my attention pretty quickly. DIdn't even notice quite how tall he was but noticed him leaning on people, protecting pucks, winning battles, but also flashing some pretty good puck skill. And last year we had a lot of debate about some of the bigger forwards - Carlsson, But, Wood, Honzek, "but is he a center?". Lindstrom is a pure center.

Some other CHLers I like are forwards Ryder Ritchie, Cole Beaudoin, Beckett Sennecke, Nathan Villeneuve, Carson Wetsch and on defense Charlie Elick, Ben Danford and Anthony Cristoforo.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

On 10/26/2023 at 3:55 AM, MatchesMalone said:

To be honest I do watch more NCAA and European pro than I watch any kind of junior leagues, except when I see the Blades live. I try to watch as much as I can of the different international tournaments, like the U17 Challenge and Hlinka Cup, which is where I saw Lindstrom. U17s is always the first time I see a lot of the new prospects, but usually I'll have a few players to keep an eye on from perusing stats on EP. Lindstrom was not at all on my radar, but he caught my attention pretty quickly. DIdn't even notice quite how tall he was but noticed him leaning on people, protecting pucks, winning battles, but also flashing some pretty good puck skill. And last year we had a lot of debate about some of the bigger forwards - Carlsson, But, Wood, Honzek, "but is he a center?". Lindstrom is a pure center.

Some other CHLers I like are forwards Ryder Ritchie, Cole Beaudoin, Beckett Sennecke, Nathan Villeneuve, Carson Wetsch and on defense Charlie Elick, Ben Danford and Anthony Cristoforo.

I'm personally not blown away by many of the euro's this year. Some look promising for sure mostly Russians. I'm not painting with a roller though. I feel like this year most of the best players will be coming from NA and I'd extend that into the 2nd round too. The CHL and especially WHL have some promising talent this year and of course the NTDP and USHL look strong. 

Edited by Hammertime
  • Cheers 1