2024 Entry Draft

I hope that Tocc has sat down with mgmt and put the bug in their ear that we need to get some physical prospects in the pipe who can play with skilled players. win board battles and dominate below the hashes and some complementary D with teeth who can shoot we have some guys who can play but we really don't have a shooter with snarl. 

So far my favorite prospects that I hope I can influence people into checking out are...

Tij Iginla Yes Jerome's son and it shows he's on a tear too with 13g 21pts through 12 games with kelowna. He's a nasty piece of business when push comes to flying flippers.

Bryce Pickford RHD he has a lethal wrister and will go toe to toe with anyone even if he gives up 40 lbs he's 6' now and will grow.. The kid can snipe and has enough speed to create a scramble where Pete Hughes thrive. The scoring hasn't shown up much yet but watch out for him down the stretch into the playoffs. This kids a fire cracker. 

The other 2 are

Simon Zether 6'3 C  I don't know there is a better right shot C below the hashes in this draft class. Hage is the other Right shot C of note. 

John Whipple LD 6'1 Hits hard plays safe and can really complement a roving D partner. I think the goals will come as he has a knack for threading pucks through. 

In my early rankings I would be thrilled with either of Iginla/Zether in the mid 1st and Whipple/Pickford in the 2nd if we get one. 

The 3rd and beyond I would love to see  1 of Adam Jecho, Tyler Thorpe. The 3rd is a crap shoot you never know who's going to be available (Ex:Hunter)

I'm grateful 4 of them are in the WHL so that makes this draft a bit more fun as a fan. 

Edited by Hammertime
  • Cheers 1

On 10/26/2023 at 7:06 PM, Hammertime said:

I'm personally not blown away by many of the euro's this year. Some look promising for sure mostly Russians. I'm not painting with a roller though. I feel like this year most of the best players will be coming from NA and I'd extend that into the 2nd round too. The CHL and especially WHL have some promising talent this year and of course the NTDP and USHL look strong. 

Yeah I'd more or less agree on that. This has long been expected to be a near-historic class for Western Canada. Even despite losing Celebrini it's still a ridiculous class for the Dub. But it's also a pretty ridiculous class for Ontario. Last year was rock-bottom for the Q without a single first rounder. It's now not really open for debate that the USHL has surpassed the QMJHL, and it seems to be closing the gap on the Dub and O too, but I don't think it's there yet.

Looks like a pretty average draft for Finland and Russia, and a little below average for Sweden and Czechia. Slovakia has come back down to earth a bit after a few unrealistic draft classes. Norway and Germany look to be on the upswing for the next couple drafts/

Edited by MatchesMalone
  • Cheers 1

I know it's early but...

Man, I'd love for the Canucks to land Cayden Lindstrom in this year's draft. The better he plays the higher in the draft he'll go though.

Big, mobile center with speed, skill and some snarl. If I had to split hairs it's that he's a lefty instead of a righty. (which we could use)

14GP - 13 Goals, 7 Assists. He also has 26 PIM. 

Edited by Blitz-Pix
  • Cheers 1

On 10/28/2023 at 5:38 PM, Blitz-Pix said:

I know it's early but...

Man, I'd love for the Canucks to land Cayden Lindstrom in this year's draft. The better he plays the higher in the draft he'll go though.

Big, mobile center with speed, skill and some snarl. If I had to split hairs it's that he's a lefty instead of a righty. (which we could use)

14GP - 13 Goals, 7 Assists. He also has 26 PIM. 

Yeah every year I try to predict early on who will be the heavy two-way centers that NHL scouts will love and will go earlier on draft day than expected. If I'm being honest I'm about as hit or miss as anyone. Had Svechkov, Berniers, Sillinger ranked early before mostly anyone, but I was late on McTavish, Kasper, and and I liked Calum Ritchie over Nate Danielson for most of last year.

That said, Lindstrom and Cole Beaudoin are my early picks this year to fly up the rankings. Folks who liked Nate Danielson last year will love Cole Beaudoin - heavy center, smooth skater, strong defensive hockey sense and work ethic. Lindstrom doesn't have Beaudoin's defensive acumen, but Lindstrom has better puck skills. Beaudoin probably plays a bit more of a physical game as far as looking for hits and getting to the dirty areas, but Lindstrom plays a heavy offensive game, leaning on defenders, and has the size to do it at the next level.

• Cheers 2

Caught a few WHL games tonight. First PG (W Terik Parascak) vs Brandon (D Charlie Elick). Then Regina & Tanner Howe vs the PA Raiders & Ryder Ritchie. And lastly the Medicine Hat game to see Cayden Lindstrom. So some thoughts;

- Elick didn't play much from what I saw, couldn't get a great read. Moved fairly well. Not much to else say. Big RHD so I'd like to see more. 

- Parascak was out in all situations for PG, but honestly wasn't impressive. I don't know if he's just not a great skater or what but he wasn't moving his feet or getting involved much. Was expecting more from a guy who's started so well. Pretty much a non-factor. (maybe an off game?)

(Sidenote; I forgot about Ty Young at first but he made a nice save in OT stretching the leg when Danielson dangled Parascak, got in alone, & went backhand)

- Howe's the captain this year in Regina now that Bedard is gone. Smart player & has a great motor. I'd say his skill is closer to good than great (though he has very good hands & IQ) but he plays all 200ft & doesn't take shifts off. Forced some turnovers, won some battles, made good passes, played W & C. Just a good straightforward player. Regina doesn't seem like a great team again.

- Ritchie was impressive. He didn't takeover the game but you see flashes of his high skill level. Very good skater when he wants to be, both speed & quickness. When he gets the puck he's very patient as a playmaker surveying his options, even under pressure he's not fazed. Showed off his quick hands with some dangles & a heavy shot ringing one off the bar. Had a nice assist late on the PP by going behind the net then quickly throwing a pass back infront before he got fully behind catching the defenders off guard.

- Now Lindstrom from Medicine Hat; Really good skater & quick hands, showed a willingness to throw the body around, but I was left wanting more offensively. He was getting himself in positions off-puck to receive it but I didn't think he was all that dangerous with the puck. Maybe it just wasn't his sharpest game. 

Out of all the players I'd say Ritchie impressed me most. 

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 2

On 10/27/2023 at 4:43 PM, Hammertime said:

I hope that Tocc has sat down with mgmt and put the bug in their ear that we need to get some physical prospects in the pipe who can play with skilled players. win board battles and dominate below the hashes and some complementary D with teeth who can shoot we have some guys who can play but we really don't have a shooter with snarl. 

So far my favorite prospects that I hope I can influence people into checking out are...

Tij Iginla Yes Jerome's son and it shows he's on a tear too with 13g 21pts through 12 games with kelowna. He's a nasty piece of business when push comes to flying flippers.

Bryce Pickford RHD he has a lethal wrister and will go toe to toe with anyone even if he gives up 40 lbs he's 6' now and will grow.. The kid can snipe and has enough speed to create a scramble where Pete Hughes thrive. The scoring hasn't shown up much yet but watch out for him down the stretch into the playoffs. This kids a fire cracker. 

The other 2 are

Simon Zether 6'3 C  I don't know there is a better right shot C below the hashes in this draft class. Hage is the other Right shot C of note. 

John Whipple LD 6'1 Hits hard plays safe and can really complement a roving D partner. I think the goals will come as he has a knack for threading pucks through. 

In my early rankings I would be thrilled with either of Iginla/Zether in the mid 1st and Whipple/Pickford in the 2nd if we get one. 

The 3rd and beyond I would love to see  1 of Adam Jecho, Tyler Thorpe. The 3rd is a crap shoot you never know who's going to be available (Ex:Hunter)

I'm grateful 4 of them are in the WHL so that makes this draft a bit more fun as a fan. 

Watching Iginla tonight & his intelligence stands out. He's a really detailed player, and you can see he has some strength + talent.

Doesn't seem like much of a puck carrier but being smart & strong (along with good hands) should put him on track to the NHL in a middle 6 role.

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Watching Iginla tonight & his intelligence stands out. He's a really detailed player, and you can see he has some strength + talent.

Doesn't seem like much of a puck carrier but being smart & strong (along with good hands) should put him on track to the NHL in a middle 6 role.

Always wanted Jerome on the Canucks. Maybe this would make up for it. If he has half the heart and class as his dad he will be an impactful player in the league 

2 hours ago, Rypien-Punch said:

at the rate we have been winning games, where do you people project we end up picking in the first round? And who are some decent prospects available in that range?

careful, this is how they cancelled Don Cherry.

e: but if the Canucks continue to win at their current rate then it's only fair to assume other teams do as well, in which case they draft 30th before the playoffs.

Edited by 112
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Rypien-Punch said:

at the rate we have been winning games, where do you people project we end up picking in the first round? And who are some decent prospects available in that range?

They’ll be drafting 32nd and in typical Alvin Canucks tenure fashion we’ll be picking best Swede available in the 1rst round!

On 10/27/2023 at 10:10 PM, MatchesMalone said:

It's now not really open for debate that the USHL has surpassed the QMJHL, and it seems to be closing the gap on the Dub and O too, but I don't think it's there yet.

So I haven't spent any time in this thread yet and I saw this comment, and I was just wondering if you are referring to the entire USHL as a whole or just, more specifically, the USNTDP?

7 hours ago, 204CanucksFan said:

So I haven't spent any time in this thread yet and I saw this comment, and I was just wondering if you are referring to the entire USHL as a whole or just, more specifically, the USNTDP?

The USHL in general. I wouldn't have a clue how to compare a team to a league. It has long been on the rise as more and more players are choosing the NCAA path over major junior, but this season's draft is going to be the positive proof that the USHL is the real deal. Trevor Connelly could have been right there alongside Eiserman and Hagens as the superstars of this year's NTDP, but instead he's playing on just a regular club team in Tri-City. Some of the very best Canadian prospects from both east and west chose the USHL/NCAA route over CHL (Macklin Celebrini, Michael Hage, Sacha Boisvert), as well as some of the top foreign prospects (Artyom Levshunov, Matvei Gridin and 2025-eligible Sascha Boumedienne).

Of course one needs to consider that the USHL loses most of their best 19 year olds and the very best 18 year olds to college, so at the top end of the "depth chart" the CHL will have the better players, but lower down teams' lineups, the NAHL is really the only other option in the States, while Canada spreads our talent between 60 teams across 3 leagues, and not to mention some pretty respectable junior A leagues, led by BCHL, but the AJHL, CCHL and OJHL are all reasonable routes for lower-end would-be CHLers.

5 hours ago, MatchesMalone said:

The USHL in general. I wouldn't have a clue how to compare a team to a league. It has long been on the rise as more and more players are choosing the NCAA path over major junior, but this season's draft is going to be the positive proof that the USHL is the real deal. Trevor Connelly could have been right there alongside Eiserman and Hagens as the superstars of this year's NTDP, but instead he's playing on just a regular club team in Tri-City. Some of the very best Canadian prospects from both east and west chose the USHL/NCAA route over CHL (Macklin Celebrini, Michael Hage, Sacha Boisvert), as well as some of the top foreign prospects (Artyom Levshunov, Matvei Gridin and 2025-eligible Sascha Boumedienne).

Of course one needs to consider that the USHL loses most of their best 19 year olds and the very best 18 year olds to college, so at the top end of the "depth chart" the CHL will have the better players, but lower down teams' lineups, the NAHL is really the only other option in the States, while Canada spreads our talent between 60 teams across 3 leagues, and not to mention some pretty respectable junior A leagues, led by BCHL, but the AJHL, CCHL and OJHL are all reasonable routes for lower-end would-be CHLers.

I agree with most of what your saying, and I'm not overly familiar with the top prospects coming out of the USHL this season but I don't think I'd put the USHL ahead of any CHL leagues just yet. The USNTDP, however, is absolutely ahead of the QMJHL, in my opinion but I consider the USNTDP a completely seperate entity from the USHL.

I fully understand the affiliation between the two and that the NTDP competes as part of the USHL but the way the NT operates in relation to the USHL doesn't seem fair to consider them a team on par with the others in the USHL. If you seperate the NTDP from the USHL and go back through the last 5 drafts, which includes the Jack Hughes draft where 7 of the top 15 picks came from the NTDP, the number of 1st Rd picks from each league looks like this:

QMJHL: 13

USHL (not including USNTDP) 6

USNTDP: 21

There were also 7 players drafted directly out of the NCAA in those drafts, but even among those 7, only 2 players went the USHL route as opposed to NTDP or BCHL/AJHL.

8 hours ago, 204CanucksFan said:

I agree with most of what your saying, and I'm not overly familiar with the top prospects coming out of the USHL this season but I don't think I'd put the USHL ahead of any CHL leagues just yet. The USNTDP, however, is absolutely ahead of the QMJHL, in my opinion but I consider the USNTDP a completely seperate entity from the USHL.

I fully understand the affiliation between the two and that the NTDP competes as part of the USHL but the way the NT operates in relation to the USHL doesn't seem fair to consider them a team on par with the others in the USHL. If you seperate the NTDP from the USHL and go back through the last 5 drafts, which includes the Jack Hughes draft where 7 of the top 15 picks came from the NTDP, the number of 1st Rd picks from each league looks like this:

QMJHL: 13

USHL (not including USNTDP) 6

USNTDP: 21

There were also 7 players drafted directly out of the NCAA in those drafts, but even among those 7, only 2 players went the USHL route as opposed to NTDP or BCHL/AJHL.

Yeah I dunno, I'm not gonna argue too hard on this one. I've been closely tracking league quality/rankings for years. Last time I did a really deep dive was 2019 and at that time I still had the Q ahead of USHL but already then it was getting very close. I'm convinced that the USHL is ahead by now, but I don't have much to support that claim. I do appreciate that you made the effort to come up with some stats to support your point, but I had already agreed in my previous post that (outside NTDP) the top end players would be better in the CHL leagues, which is all those stats really show.

The reality is, trying to make sense of league quality is so much more complicated than it might appear through a few simple stats. Great examples of this are CHL vs USports and NCAA vs ECHL. Not a lot of NHL players come out of USports or ECHL, but there is a strong argument to be made that they're the better overall leagues than their younger counterparts. Both comparisons share the same basic principle - the vast majority of USports players are former CHLers, and a significant majority of ECHLers are former NCAAers, but whereas the CHL and NCAA obviously have much better NHL prospects and the truly elite talents at the tops of lineups, USports and ECHL are made up almost entirely of players who were formerly top 6 forwards and top 4 D in CHL/NCAA, but are now years older, bigger, stronger, faster, better.

• Cheers 3

8 hours ago, Ilunga said:

November mock draft 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10097183-br-nhl-mock-draft-update-1-month-into-the-2023-24-season

Yet another Petersson coming our way ? 

I'm surprised they have Eiserman all the way down at 5. I think he's going to be challenging Celebrini for 1st overall.