Sam Lafferty | #18 | C/W

-AJ-

I say its a no risk option to get a bit more size, a right hand center and face off guy and a bit more grit to the bottom 6.

Toronto fans say hes a good player that they will miss. Sooner or later we have to get away from the smurf mentality and play the game like it has to be played in the playoffs to have success. Every player cannot be Mc David as they are proving in Edmonton you really need a much more balanced lineup to win a cup.

Hughes is awesome but the rest of the D men cant be small skaters they need to be large and in charge.

Size with skill. More Bertuzzis less Garlands and Hoglanders. You can have a Ronning on your team but you have to surround them with players that can protect them and/or create space for them. Yes the game has changed. We dont need Mcsorleys and Brashears but players that can crash the net, win board battles and punish the D men on other teams still has not gone away. Lafferty may just be another big body to fit the bill.

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

17 minutes ago, Mikeyman109 said:

I say its a no risk option to get a bit more size, a right hand center and face off guy and a bit more grit to the bottom 6.

Toronto fans say hes a good player that they will miss. Sooner or later we have to get away from the smurf mentality and play the game like it has to be played in the playoffs to have success. Every player cannot be Mc David as they are proving in Edmonton you really need a much more balanced lineup to win a cup.

Hughes is awesome but the rest of the D men cant be small skaters they need to be large and in charge.

Size with skill. More Bertuzzis less Garlands and Hoglanders. You can have a Ronning on your team but you have to surround them with players that can protect them and/or create space for them. Yes the game has changed. We dont need Mcsorleys and Brashears but players that can crash the net, win board battles and punish the D men on other teams still has not gone away. Lafferty may just be another big body to fit the bill.

Good post.  Players like Lafferty are the type that Tocchet want.  

They're harder to come by because teams like to hang on to them if they can.  

• Cheers 2

17 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

We benefit from the leafs cap problems. Now if we dont want to have more of our own a move of Garland would be beneficial but he does bring some snarl above his size.  Surround the smurfs with some big nasty players and they will be much more effective. Tocchett gets it. we cant have a team where they all want to be 100 point players.

Some have to be the worker bees.

11 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

It’s been pretty clear reading between the lines of many Tocchet comments that he’s found certain elements of this team lacking. So yeah, this move has Tocchet fingerprints all over it. Personally doesn’t move the needle much for me, but I’m willing to let things play out before making a sort of judgement on it. I will say that I’ve found, much like Tocchet, that this team lacks a certain amount of juice, so perhaps this fella will help.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Certainly haven't had any great ones recently, but oddly enough, we have had a fair bit of success in the 5th round. Gaudette, Forsling, Hutton, Corrado. Four fringe NHL guys (or better in Forsling's case) in five consecutive years of drafting.

I was just about to say the same before I saw your post. It is a funny oddity about the Canucks' drafting.

Edit: Maybe Truscott and Young are the next couple to make it to the NHL. Obviously other than Forsling, Lafferty seems to be more of an impact player than the rest but it is still funny.

Edited by Diamonds
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

It’s been pretty clear reading between the lines of many Tocchet comments that he’s found certain elements of this team lacking. So yeah, this move has Tocchet fingerprints all over it. Personally doesn’t move the needle much for me, but I’m willing to let things play out before making a sort of judgement on it. I will say that I’ve found, much like Tocchet, that this team lacks a certain amount of juice, so perhaps this fella will help.

I honestly think he will. I don’t know much about him. But I did watch him in Chicago last year. They were an interesting team because they were absolutely gutted offensively. So lots of guys got to play way bigger minutes than they ever have before there. Lafferty is one guy that realtor out to me last season. He was a pest to play against, I loved his energy…I stopped following him once he went to Toronto…because, well I hate the Leafs…never watch em lol. 

I like the pick up, he’s definitely a hard worker and kinda gives me Phil DiGuisseppi vibes. 

11 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

That's right, they do want more juice.  More grit, harder to play against.  It's upper management who wants this.  Allvin and Rutherford have said as much.  The coaching changes that have been made:  Tocchet and by extention, Gonchar and Foote, attract better players to the team.  Tocchet has been promoting players like Joshua, PDG up the line up because they are the few who have the juice that really helps the highly skilled guys and that buy them time and space.  Does anybody really think that PDG is a top line forward?  No.  But he adds something that the top line needs and if he keeps his stick on the ice, a few pucks might bounce off it and into the net 😄

• -AJ- changed the title to Sam Lafferty | #18 | C/W
2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

I know he won't average a point a game for long, but seems to be a 5th well spent so far.

He doesn't even have to come close to a point a game.  It's the character/grit intangibles that he brings to the team, which every winning team needs to have(especially in the playoffs), that makes him clearly worth more than a 5th round pick.  

6 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Thrilled to be very wrong about Lafferty so far. Far more exciting than I would've imagined.

I loved him in Chicago, he's a great example of a long time AHL'er finally getting his due. Basically he's what we've always wanted to see out of our old # 18...fast, hard working, chippy, good shot, goes to the net with reckless abandon...great addition to our team!

We don't have enough players like Lafferty, I wonder what Toronto were thinking trading him for a 5th? Big guy, drives to the net, plays a hard game. He's like Joshua/PDG but may have even more offensive ability. Big guys with good hands. Suddenly we've got a whole bunch of them, and it's nice to scatter them across our lineup on different lines to complement the skilled guys.

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

We don't have enough players like Lafferty, I wonder what Toronto were thinking trading him for a 5th? Big guy, drives to the net, plays a hard game. He's like Joshua/PDG but may have even more offensive ability. Big guys with good hands. Suddenly we've got a whole bunch of them, and it's nice to scatter them across our lineup on different lines to complement the skilled guys.

It's Treliving. It wasn't a former Canuck so he got confused. 

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

They were in a cap crunch...l I believe they paid a 2nd for him to CHI no?

PA out Going others with a sneaky good pick up taking advantage of other cap strapped teams, amazing he was able to add Suter and Lafferty and clear cap while getting DeSmith, very very smart.

On 10/9/2023 at 9:58 AM, Mikeyman109 said:

Yes the game has changed. We dont need Mcsorleys and Brashears but players that can crash the net, win board battles and punish the D men on other teams still has not gone away. 

We don't need a dman that puts up 15 goals, 41 points and beats the hell out of everything that moves? One that lead the league in plus minus one year?

Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF

• Cheers 1

On 10/15/2023 at 11:12 AM, Coryberg said:

We don't need a dman that puts up 15 goals, 41 points and beats the hell out of everything that moves? One that lead the league in plus minus one year?

Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF

i said the game has changed we need a D man that can defend in our end. Hughes Hronek have the offensive skill set for our D we need some size that can play in our end. and some up front like i said.I never once said we dont need Defenders

35 minutes ago, Mikeyman109 said:

i said the game has changed we need a D man that can defend in our end. Hughes Hronek have the offensive skill set for our D we need some size that can play in our end. and some up front like i said.I never once said we dont need Defenders

Hughes and Hronek are brilliant defensively. They just happen to be gifted offensively too. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Mikeyman109 said:

You said we don't need players like Mcsorley. Those stats I showed were Mcsorleys.

Edited by Coryberg

3 hours ago, Coryberg said:

You said we don't need players like Mcsorley. Those stats I showed were Mcsorleys.

Stats may be McSorley's but we do not want or need a player like him. We don't need an out of control player that gets suspended for a year after what he did to Brashear. He never played in the NHL again after that.

• Like 1