Sam Lafferty | #18 | C/W

-AJ-

Another fact: Studnicka is on waivers today (along with Wolanin).

Possibility 1: There is  another move on the way.

Possibility 2: The Canucks see Lafferty as an upgrade on Studnicka. Period. Their cap situation has not changed significantly. Right now, they can be cap compliant with a 22-man roster. If someone goes on LTIR, they can have a full 23-man roster.

Some notes:

- Based on TOI, he's a 4th liner, playing 13:15 per game with the Leafs and about 15:00 with the Hawks last year.

- Production suggests you should expect 20-30 points if he plays the full season.

- 28 years old

- Slightly bigger than average at 6'2" and 205 lbs

- Was about 52% in the dot in Chicago, but plummeted in his shorter stint with the Leafs. Averaged about 51% over the year.

- Seems to hit quite a bit.

- Odd amounts of PIM (37 last year) suggest that he's not afraid to drop the gloves, though his total PIM numbers aren't that high.

- Moderate shot blocking

- Okay takeaway/giveaway ratio

- Reasonably responsible on the penalty front

- Played a small role on the TOR PK and was quite good.

- Was a huge part of the Blackhawks PK (first unit, I suspect) and was pretty solid

- Played a little on the PPs for both the Leafs and Hawks, but was terrible on both teams' PP.

- Worst puck possession numbers on the Leafs forward group, but heavily used defensively with a 26.3% OZ%

- Was also used very defensively in Chicago with a 40.2% OZ%. CORSI was quite a bit better in Chicago, though still not amazing

- 0 career shootout attempts

All in all, a pretty boring player, but seems to be growing into a defensive role. Might end up being more useful than I'm thinking, but not overly inspired right now.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I like the profile for our bottom 6. Decent size great speed and need a right handed faceoff guy badly. 
I definitely don’t like the constant trickle out of draft pics we see every year of the re-tool/build.

We haven’t developed a right shot D in 15 years. What was the last good bottom 6 forward we developed internally, Hansen?

At least he cost less than Studnicka. 

Edited by DrJockitch

18 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

funny, when we had rafferty, i thought we should get lafferty too, so announcer could had fun with rafferty to lafferty i know, i'm weird.

i'ld like to know managements rational in the trade? hope he is an upgrade on somebody.

Reveal hidden contents

I think they have room for him and be cap compliant with the move to waive Studnika and, IMO, a better player for that position. Maybe a late trade in the works to make room for Mikheyev as well but guess we shall see.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

That's the part most posters don't seem to get.......

Exactly. We're a small team. If every trade we make replaces guys by an inch or two higher, a bit more weight, a bit quicker, than it's a win. Lafferty is a legit bottom six who annoys the opposition, finishes checks, kills penalties with speed and tenacity, and isn't flashy, but makes the team just a little bit bigger.

• Cheers 4

Good pickup off waivers.  I see that Lafferty's 1st NHL season was '19-'20 with Gonchar as an Assistant

coach.  He also played in Chicago '21-'22 When Colition was the head coach.  Good connections!

He is an upgrade on the 4th line and might even move up to the 3rd.  Very flexible player who can

play all FW positions.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

Some notes:

- Based on TOI, he's a 4th liner, playing 13:15 per game with the Leafs and about 15:00 with the Hawks last year.

- Production suggests you should expect 20-30 points if he plays the full season.

- 28 years old

- Slightly bigger than average at 6'2" and 205 lbs

- Was about 52% in the dot in Chicago, but plummeted in his shorter stint with the Leafs. Averaged about 51% over the year.

- Seems to hit quite a bit.

- Odd amounts of PIM (37 last year) suggest that he's not afraid to drop the gloves, though his total PIM numbers aren't that high.

- Moderate shot blocking

- Okay takeaway/giveaway ratio

- Reasonably responsible on the penalty front

- Played a small role on the TOR PK and was quite good.

- Was a huge part of the Blackhawks PK (first unit, I suspect) and was pretty solid

- Played a little on the PPs for both the Leafs and Hawks, but was terrible on both teams' PP.

- Worst puck possession numbers on the Leafs forward group, but heavily used defensively with a 26.3% OZ%

- Was also used very defensively in Chicago with a 40.2% OZ%. CORSI was quite a bit better in Chicago, though still not amazing

- 0 career shootout attempts

All in all, a pretty boring player, but seems to be growing into a defensive role. Might end up being more useful than I'm thinking, but not overly inspired right now.

Seems like he plugs a hole tho with our lack of right shot faceoff guys, and adding another good pk guy is great imo. It will certainly help against mcbaby.

Plus he was cheap to get and can be buried in the AHL if it goes sideways

Pretty low risk.

Edited by Bob Long
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

18 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Good pickup off waivers.  I see that Lafferty's 1st NHL season was '19-'20 with Gonchar as an Assistant

coach.  He also played in Chicago '21-'22 When Colition was the head coach.  Good connections!

He is an upgrade on the 4th line and might even move up to the 3rd.  Very flexible player who can

play all FW positions.

Alas, was not a waiver pickup. We traded a 5th rounder for him.

1 hour ago, smithers joe said:

if he is good at board battles, he'll be a tocchet kind of guy. i'm still puzzled why studnika was waived. thought he was playing well?

Too little too late.... I'm guessing the coaching staff don't feel confident he can translate his preseason form into regular season games!!

21 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

Now here's a super importation question...... will someone in the organization tell Lafferty to not pick #28??

Imagine Cole avoids it only for Lafferty to wear it. What a riot that would be.

I'm ok with the trade now that I've done my homework on it. Rh shot, can play center, can be physical, fight and add a few points. All things that bring value to our team. 5th round picks don't concern me too much either. Guess Studnicka didn't add enough to stick with the club. Welcome to the team Sam. 

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

3 hours ago, RakuRaku said:

Too little too late.... I'm guessing the coaching staff don't feel confident he can translate his preseason form into regular season games!!

Lafferty has better production and about 35 lbs.  The Canucks get bigger, more physical and better offense

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 2

18 minutes ago, RawkDrummer said:

except Canuck 5th round picks. they all have the potential to be stars according to our posters

Certainly haven't had any great ones recently, but oddly enough, we have had a fair bit of success in the 5th round. Gaudette, Forsling, Hutton, Corrado. Four fringe NHL guys (or better in Forsling's case) in five consecutive years of drafting.

• Upvote 1