Sam Lafferty | #18 | C/W

-AJ-

9 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Stats may be McSorley's but we do not want or need a player like him. We don't need an out of control player that gets suspended for a year after what he did to Brashear. He never played in the NHL again after that.

Oh... you are talking about 37 year old Mcsorley! 

53 minutes ago, Mikeyman109 said:

Oh you think he could keep up with the game today we need a Pavel Bure more than a Mc Sorely. If you are going to bring back players lets look at good ones.

37 year old Bure? He retired 5 years before, we don't want quiters on our team!!!!

Am I doing it right?

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Bane said:

He plays like a homeless man's Nathan Mackinnon which would probably be one of the best bottom six forwards in the league. The speed and offence he brings is worth a lot more than a 5th rounder. 

He's definitely been a great pick up and nice surprise. 

What were the Laffs thinking? Haha! 

44 minutes ago, Barn Burner said:

He's definitely been a great pick up and nice surprise. 

What were the Laffs thinking? Haha! 

They were definitely in cap trouble. I think they knew he was worth more than that, but they needed to get under the cap and Allvin took advantage.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

20 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

They were definitely in cap trouble. I think they knew he was worth more than that, but they needed to get under the cap and Allvin took advantage.

Savvy management move. 

I did know that they were more than likely going to lose him on waivers, so getting a 5th is better than nothing.

But, our win. The guy's got great wheels and plays hard. 

From a TSN article that is mostly about the Leafs:

The cap-strapped Leafs traded forward Sam Lafferty to the Canucks on the eve of the season in exchange for a fifth round draft pick. 

"Big pick-up for us," said Tocchet. "Our scouting report said he was a good skater, but I didn't know he was that good of a skater through the neutral zone. But also the intangibles. He's only been here a month, he's a well-liked guy. Guys love him."

Lafferty has three goals and three assists while averaging 13 minutes of ice time per game. 

"He puts a lot of pressure on the other teams and he's chipped in here and there," Hughes noted. "The first and second line, they've been playing great, but when the third and fourth lines come over, they've been working teams, and that helps our top two lines when they can come over and have momentum."

Lafferty was acquired by the Leafs from the Chicago Blackhawks in February. He's due to become an unrestricted free agent at the end of this season.  

"He's bounced around a little," said Tocchet. "This could be a spot maybe he could hang around a while, because I love Laffs. He's a Canucks player, a player that we need. Hopefully he's a guy who can be here for a bunch of years. He's given us a lot of juice."

• Cheers 1

• 4 weeks later...

One player has literally hard-worked his way to a winning team's first line.  His replacement in Toronto has been nothing short of a complete and utter disaster.  Steve Dangle is begging for Keefe to bench him and has already discussed buyout options in his podcast.

2 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

One player has literally hard-worked his way to a winning team's first line.  His replacement in Toronto has been nothing short of a complete and utter disaster.  Steve Dangle is begging for Keefe to bench him and has already discussed buyout options in his podcast.

I have cautioned against acquiring "tough" guys for a long time, teams seem so addicted to getting fast goons and it's crazy to see it still happening in today's NHL. The years of the Clutterbucks are well and truly over. You need speed, you need to defend well and if you can score that's a bonus. No one needs a hitter or a fighter anymore who will just get eaten alive defensively.

This goes way back to the Virtanen days but it's a shame because every now and then you'll get a monster top-6 forward like Lucic who has some success and drives everyone insane to the point where they're making stupid decisions like this. Good on Allvin for going for skill, defence and speed over goonery. When he acquired Blueger and Suter I thought the same thing - we have a relatively small bottom-6 but boy do they do well and play good roles across the board. Great penalty killers, good at faceoffs, all are great defenders and we've got some real speed there. We don't have a monster hitter or fighter but look how good our team defence has been. Lafferty sums that up well.

Obviously he's doing well with Petey on our top line right now and that'll change loads over the course of the season, but the bottom line is that he can skate, defend well and very impressively go straight to the net where he seems to be cashing in on rebounds.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/11/2023 at 4:02 PM, Satchmo said:

From a TSN article that is mostly about the Leafs:

The cap-strapped Leafs traded forward Sam Lafferty to the Canucks on the eve of the season in exchange for a fifth round draft pick. 

"Big pick-up for us," said Tocchet. "Our scouting report said he was a good skater, but I didn't know he was that good of a skater through the neutral zone. But also the intangibles. He's only been here a month, he's a well-liked guy. Guys love him."

Lafferty has three goals and three assists while averaging 13 minutes of ice time per game. 

"He puts a lot of pressure on the other teams and he's chipped in here and there," Hughes noted. "The first and second line, they've been playing great, but when the third and fourth lines come over, they've been working teams, and that helps our top two lines when they can come over and have momentum."

Lafferty was acquired by the Leafs from the Chicago Blackhawks in February. He's due to become an unrestricted free agent at the end of this season.  

"He's bounced around a little," said Tocchet. "This could be a spot maybe he could hang around a while, because I love Laffs. He's a Canucks player, a player that we need. Hopefully he's a guy who can be here for a bunch of years. He's given us a lot of juice."

endorsed by the head coach himself. Lafferty's going to be back. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Lafferty seemed more physically engaged last night against LA than he has in a long time.  It feels like he's slowly recovering from a lingering injury or something.  Hopefully that's the case and we can look forward to him getting back to his hard-hitting, strong-pressuring and net-driving play very soon.