Will the ‘Nucks make the playoffs this year?

Playoffs, yes.

104 point finish... barring major injury to the core for prolonged periods (knock on wood.) I'm with Rutherford on that. Depth is a bit lacking, but with a healthy Demko, and better backup, better systems play, improved d core, better pkers they could surprise some people this year...at least they better. i got 100.00 riding on a bet with @Dumb Nuck they're making it  😉

2 hours ago, Rubik said:

I think it's going to be really close, but a lot depends on whether Calgary can bounce back or not. If not, I think the Canucks take the last wild card spot.

btw, you should at least include a poll...

I don’t think Huburdeau will suck as bad, dude had like a 55% decline which points to coaching/systems. 
  I think the Canucks made the right moves in terms of addressing their weak defence and historically low penalty kill, as well as addressing their backup situation should Demko go down. Desmith has shown potential with periods as a NHL starter. 
I would guess that Canucks will be competitive for 3rd in pacific. 

Yes to playoffs, but also, I don’t expect them to make any noise in the playoffs as they seriously lack grit. 

• Like 1

This year (baring injuries) has the potential for the Canucks to finally make the post season.  I'm thinking Edmonton, Calgary, LA, Vegas, etcetera,

may well take enough of a step backward, to leave the Canucks as serious contenders.

I've looked at the schedule and it looks somewhat more favorable then usual.

Not sure. 
Our structure looks better but think we will definitely struggle to score enough, especially 5v5. 
Feel like mismatch between coaching and our forward group. Tocchet desperately wants some size on every line but is saddled with a pack of Lilliputians in the top 9.  Work in progress.  
The D though is looking better though loosing Soucy already hurts. Wouldn’t be a Canuck UFA signing if didn’t get injured early. 
End of the day thinks it really comes down to one thing, the same thing we have bet any Stanley Cup hopes on, the health of Demko. 
I would say three teams head and shoulders above us in the Pacific and 2 in the Central. That leaves us fighting for WC with a lot of middling teams. 
October is really tough for us, 2 week road trip and brutal schedule. We could be out of playoff contention Nov 1 again but if can hang around 500 in October we are looking decent for playoff run. Would be refreshing to not be out of it a couple weeks into season. 

Edited by DrJockitch

Maybe?

A lot of things will have to go right.

Most importantly the team has to storm out of the gate. And have a winning record with a difficult schedule.

Basically to try to catch the division unawares.

As tough as it sounds, try to minimize losses to eastern conference teams. Maximize wins against western conference opponents.

There can be no bad losses to teams we should beat.

• Cheers 1

We should be there. 100+points

i dont think Calgary looks very good. Karma might get them for posting 10 on our AHL squad.

Vegas will be there

Coilers will be there

LA should be there but its still unproven

We could easily be the next up

Seattle prolly regresses a bit.

The Central could ice 4 or maybe 5 playoff teams but we should be in a dog fight right into April. I say we make it. Let it start with beating the coilers in both games to start the year off. Go Canucks go.

I really would like them to make it since the team has decided on this direction. Like many have pointed out in order for us to make playoffs almost everything has to go right for us, especially staying healthy which is a bit of a concern already with Soucy out week to week. And I'm not so sure if we have we improved the team enough to pass both Calgary and Seattle. Things have to go very wrong again for Calgary and for Seattle they would have to show last year was a total fluke. 

If we have a good first 15 games start to the season then I'll have more belief on our playoff chances. 

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Canuckle said:

Playoffs, yes.

104 point finish... barring major injury to the core for prolonged periods (knock on wood.) I'm with Rutherford on that. Depth is a bit lacking, but with a healthy Demko, and better backup, better systems play, improved d core, better pkers they could surprise some people this year...at least they better. i got 100.00 riding on a bet with @Dumb Nuck they're making it  😉

Just got home from Vegas, put $20 on us making the SCF, pays $750 or so if they do and thats in USD.

Dunno, depends on health and whether the additions actually pan out. Also depends on whether players like Pettersson, Hughes, Miller, and Kuzmenko can replicate last year or if they regress. 

I think they just miss, but that they'll be in the mix for a wildcard spot.

I will say yes depending on Demko,  the defense holding up, and if Hughes stays healthy as well as if they find a left winger to play on the top two lines. As much as I love Diguiseppe. There is a reason teams have moved on from him. He shouldn't be on either of the top two lines.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82