Noah Juulsen | #47 | RD

-AJ-

• -AJ- changed the title to Noah Juulsen | #47 | RD
  • 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Cromeslab said:

Maybe he needs reps in Abby,what about waivers?

Pretty sure he's eligible for waivers. Problem is, we need a 7th defenseman, so if we send him down, we'd have to call someone else up. There's always gotta be someone who's a healthy scratch.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/19/2023 at 1:31 AM, -AJ- said:

I struggle to see why he plays over Friedman:

image.png

He hits a ton and does nothing else very good.

I struggle to see why he's in the NHL.

He should not be ahead of Friedman, Hirose, Wolanin, McWard and Irwin.

EDIT: Forgot to add Breezer, but I think he's still injured right now.

Edited by Nucks n Pucks

On 11/19/2023 at 4:01 AM, -AJ- said:

Agreed, honestly.

Gonchar and Foote have spent a lot of time with Juulson at this point. I have a lot of respect for how they have improved the d-side game. If they are continuing to play Juulson then they must see something there. Often it is all about reps. Maybe they are thinking Juulson can improve and that the team might need players like him in the spring. The team's standing gives them some latitude. From what I see Juulson's biggest issue is reading the play and his reaction time. I like his physicality and his passing out of the d-zone.   

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Gonchar and Foote have spent a lot of time with Juulson at this point. I have a lot of respect for how they have improved the d-side game. If they are continuing to play Juulson then they must see something there. Often it is all about reps. Maybe they are thinking Juulson can improve and that the team might need players like him in the spring. The team's standing gives them some latitude. From what I see Juulson's biggest issue is reading the play and his reaction time. I like his physicality and his passing out of the d-zone.   

Can’t teach hockey IQ. Juulsson is a dough head. He’s the opposite of Hirose. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Can’t teach hockey IQ. Juulsson is a dough head. He’s the opposite of Hirose. 

He may be a "dough head," but he does play a reasonably steady game, hits hard and adds an element sorely missed on this team - the ability to stand up for himself and his teammates. If anything, he's worth keeping as a 7th D. 

The other thing I noticed last game was, he was out on the PK, which is either because Soucy isn't available, or the coaches have confidence in him. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Barn Burner said:

He may be a "dough head," but he does play a reasonably steady game, hits hard and adds an element sorely missed on this team - the ability to stand up for himself and his teammates. If anything, he's worth keeping as a 7th D. 

The other thing I noticed last game was, he was out on the PK, which is either because Soucy isn't available, or the coaches have confidence in him. 

I will say, the only defensive metric he looks decent in is on the PK. I suppose he doesn't need to move as rapidly there, so maybe his poor skating doesn't hurt him as much there. He's too slow for even strength NHL hockey IMO though. As much as I like the guy's physicallity, his other attributes are too poor to make up for that positive aspect. He's a detriment to the team when he's playing IMO. I'd rather play Friedman or even McWard over Juulsen.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I agree with this post. I too like Juulson's physicality and his quick simple passing out of the D zone. He will probably not be more than a bottom pairing defenseman but I said the same thing about Kyle Burroughs. Kyle now plays in the top 2 pairings and plays the powerplay. Admittedly for a bad team. Sometimes a player needs playing time and confidence before he can progress.

We have 5 bona fide NHL defensemen when there are no injuries. One reason why I was not on the "We gotta trade Schenn" bandwagon last year, though fans are excited by the 3rd round pick we got for him. It would appear that we will have the opportunity to rotate a number of players through the openings. If nothing else, it will give us a chance to see what we have with our AHL defensemen. If we progress past the first round of the playoffs, we may need a double digit number of defensemen and it would be good if they all had a little time with the big club.

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

True Alf but Juulson is what 40 pounds heavier than Hirose and plays the RD. Not a competition really. 

Not a competition for RD obviously. Juulsen's RD competition is mostly just Friedman, unless McWard or Woo challenge.

Hirose's competition is Wolanin.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Barn Burner said:

Juulsen is too slow and a poor skater for the NHL. Unlike Schenn, he doesn't have the hockey IQ and nor soft hands to make up for lack of speed/skating. He is a 8th Dman at best. His hard hits are outweighed by his poor play. It also seems to be a shift where we are hemmed in with him on the ice.

In the games we saw Hirose last year, he appeared smart, composed, and possessed adequate speed and skating ability. He might not be a big physical Dman, but he offers us a better chance to win shifts that he is on the ice for. In my opinion, he is worthy of the 3rd pair FT...with the ability to play up on the 2nd if required. Not sure why we haven't seen him yet with the injury to Soucy. As soon as Soucy exited the ice, I would have had him called up.

And, the "standup" and "physical" card is played way too much. This team is among the leaders in hits, and we have tons of guys that play with edge. The old "tough guy" is dead; it just gets you instigator penalties. I like the game our team plays; if a team wants to be stupid, take a penalty and we'll fill the net.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Not a competition for RD obviously. Juulsen's RD competition is mostly just Friedman, unless McWard or Woo challenge.

Hirose's competition is Wolanin.

Yes, but with the Soucy injury, we have a LHD spot open. In addition, I'd rather play Cole on his off hand right now than AHLer that plays right.

Also, Bris is better than Wolanin. If Bris were healthy, him and Hirose would be !A/1B for callup. They play a different game, but are both effective. Wolanin and Juulsen...not so much. I don't mind Juulsen in the pressbox, as it allows Hirose to play. Having said that, when the injury is greater tahn a game, Hirose should have played.

Edited by BC_Hawk

16 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

Yes, but with the Soucy injury, we have a LHD spot open. In addition, I'd rather play Cole on his off hand right now than AHLer that plays right.

Also, Bris is better than Wolanin. If Bris were healthy, him and Hirose would be !A/1B for callup. They play a different game, but are both effective. Wolanin and Juulsen...not so much. I don't mind Juulsen in the pressbox, as it allows Hirose to play. Having said that, when the injury is greater tahn a game, Hirose should have played.

Personally, I think Wolanin is a pretty big step up over Hirose. Brisebois, not as sure. I've never really been impressed by his NHL game and I can't recall how many times I've seen him play in Abbotsford, but Wolanin was the AHL defenseman of the year, so unless his game crumbles under NHL pressure (and watching him last year and in this year's pre-season, I don't think it does), there's a good chance he's our best LD other than our regular crew. The main difference between Wolanin and Hirose is potential--Wolanin is at his career peak right now, but Hirose is still 24, so could have a bit more room for improvement.

I will agree that I'd rather play Cole on off-hand than an AHL guy for sure. 

35 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

Juulsen is too slow and a poor skater for the NHL. Unlike Schenn, he doesn't have the hockey IQ and nor soft hands to make up for lack of speed/skating. He is a 8th Dman at best. His hard hits are outweighed by his poor play. It also seems to be a shift where we are hemmed in with him on the ice.

In the games we saw Hirose last year, he appeared smart, composed, and possessed adequate speed and skating ability. He might not be a big physical Dman, but he offers us a better chance to win shifts that he is on the ice for. In my opinion, he is worthy of the 3rd pair FT...with the ability to play up on the 2nd if required. Not sure why we haven't seen him yet with the injury to Soucy. As soon as Soucy exited the ice, I would have had him called up.

And, the "standup" and "physical" card is played way too much. This team is among the leaders in hits, and we have tons of guys that play with edge. The old "tough guy" is dead; it just gets you instigator penalties. I like the game our team plays; if a team wants to be stupid, take a penalty and we'll fill the net.

I don't disagree, but tell that to the coaches. 

12 hours ago, Alflives said:

I’m referring to the iq part of the game. Juulsson is quite a bit below in thinking the game than Hirose. 

Your probably right but I want to see Hirose play more. I prefer he play most of the season in Abby and have a strong Calder run. Juulson is a now type player. He is spotting in because of injury but will be in the stands as soon as Soucy returns. As I mentioned before the Canucks do have options other than Juulson. Either Gonchar and Foote think they can work with him to improve or PA doesn't want to risk losing what he has in Abby to waivers once Soucy returns.