Noah Juulsen | #47 | RD

-AJ-

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

And he's 4 inches taller and about 47 lbs heavier.

Which has no impact on his skating, puck handling, or thinking. Zadorov is primarily better because of characteristics other than his size. If he was the exact same size as Juulsen, he'd still be better.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Which has no impact on his skating, puck handling, or thinking. Zadorov is primarily better because of characteristics other than his size. If he was the exact same size as Juulsen, he'd still be better.

I'm well aware of Zadorov's capabilities and natural skill, thanks though. 

• Cheers 1

On 12/8/2023 at 11:04 AM, -AJ- said:

So he should be. Zad has been in the NHL for many years now. Juulson doesn’t have 75 games yet. I think the question might be where Juulson will be in March? Bieksa commented on how far he has come to date. Punishing hockey is CUP hockey and Canucks need his type of game. At least PA will have options. I just think with reps Juulson will be a low cost RD who can PK and give the team 15 minutes of TOI. 

• Cheers 2

11 hours ago, Boudrias said:

So he should be. Zad has been in the NHL for many years now. Juulson doesn’t have 75 games yet. I think the question might be where Juulson will be in March? Bieksa commented on how far he has come to date. Punishing hockey is CUP hockey and Canucks need his type of game. At least PA will have options. I just think with reps Juulson will be a low cost RD who can PK and give the team 15 minutes of TOI. 

If we make the playoffs and if we can hold on to him he could be an asset come playoff time as a depth role.Hes getting coached,that’s all you can ask for imo

• Like 1

Another strong game by Juulson. Again I think he has 5D potential. As he gets more reps you can see his ability to move the puck under pressure. He has much more ability to grow his game into next spring. His CAP hit allows PA to make moves on the trade front knowing his 3rd pairing is solidifying. Juulson is the right age and was a 1st rounder. 

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Another strong game by Juulson. Again I think he has 5D potential. As he gets more reps you can see his ability to move the puck under pressure. He has much more ability to grow his game into next spring. His CAP hit allows PA to make moves on the trade front knowing his 3rd pairing is solidifying. Juulson is the right age and was a 1st rounder. 

He's definitely got the potential. Needs to clean up the occasional glaring errors, but outside of the big errors, he has some good skills. If I imagine Juulsen without the major mistakes, he's definiltely a #5 based on how he played last night.

• Cheers 2

57 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

He's definitely got the potential. Needs to clean up the occasional glaring errors, but outside of the big errors, he has some good skills. If I imagine Juulsen without the major mistakes, he's definiltely a #5 based on how he played last night.

The core talent is there for him to become our middle pairing, RD. If he can just keep his game simple for now, he skates well, he hits hard, he has a decent shot. He just needs to keep the course and not try doing too much out there.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I realize that the deployment is different but when it comes to brain cramps it is still Meyers who scares me. What was it the 2nd period last night when he threw a puck from behind the net to the front of Demko. Demko had to make a save. On the whole both Juulson and Meyers are benefiting from the Foote/Gonchar coaching. RT must have dreams about a Meyers/Zad shutdown pairing. Big, physical a wing spans that cover the d-zone. If Meyers was a tad more physical it would be perfect. Meyers/Zad and Juulson/ Cole as PK'ers. When Soucy returns watch out. The TOI for Hronek and Hughes was down last night. RT talked about banking their TOI for later. Loved it. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Boudrias said:

I realize that the deployment is different but when it comes to brain cramps it is still Meyers who scares me. What was it the 2nd period last night when he threw a puck from behind the net to the front of Demko. Demko had to make a save. On the whole both Juulson and Meyers are benefiting from the Foote/Gonchar coaching. RT must have dreams about a Meyers/Zad shutdown pairing. Big, physical a wing spans that cover the d-zone. If Meyers was a tad more physical it would be perfect. Meyers/Zad and Juulson/ Cole as PK'ers. When Soucy returns watch out. The TOI for Hronek and Hughes was down last night. RT talked about banking their TOI for later. Loved it. 

Yes, the mistakes that Myers and Juulsen make are eerily similar, but both players can be very effective when they minimize them. Juulsen has the benefit of being vastly cheaper than Myers, so the criticism is likely a lot less as a result.

3 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Yes, the mistakes that Myers and Juulsen make are eerily similar, but both players can be very effective when they minimize them. Juulsen has the benefit of being vastly cheaper than Myers, so the criticism is likely a lot less as a result.

Myers would be a fan favourite at 2M.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Boudrias said:

If we were to compare his game from last season to the few games he's played this season, it's like night and day. Folks keep forgetting that he's had many injuries very early in his NHL career, and just now seems to be getting off on the right foot. The sad thing is, he probably slots in at #7 on the depth chart once Soucy comes back. Who was it that joined the Canuck bench in the first period? I didn't think you could trade players mid game.

Edited by Johngould21

16 minutes ago, Johngould21 said:

If we were to compare his game from last season to the few games he's played this season, it's like night and day. Folks keep forgetting that he's had many injuries very early in his NHL career, and just now seems to be getting off on the right foot. The sad thing is, he probably slots in at #7 on the depth chart once Soucy comes back. Who was it that joined the Canuck bench in the first period? I didn't think you could trade players mid game.

Not sure what you mean about someone coming on the bench?

In the last 5 games Juulson's TOI keeps going up. 10:48 against NJD to 16:32 against FLA. +2 over that stretch. The stats say no shots on goal but I seem to remember 1 shot last night. We have to assume 7D when Soucy returns but we all know the history of the injuries to our d-men.  

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

In the last 5 games Juulson's TOI keeps going up. 10:48 against NJD to 16:32 against FLA. +2 over that stretch. The stats say no shots on goal but I seem to remember 1 shot last night. We have to assume 7D when Soucy returns but we all know the history of the injuries to our d-men.  

I was being a smart ass, Juulson put a Panther in the Canuck bench.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Juulsson gets more ice in the third when we are up big. When Soucy is back, Juulsson is eating popcorn. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Tocchet has shown the guys playing the best will get the ice time. 

He's also said that he prefers pairing right shooters with left shooters in his D pairings, which he has very rarely strayed from in his time with the Canucks.  That being said, if and when all the D are healthy, I don't think he'll be able to avoid playing two LHD on one of his pairings.

Always liked Juulsen, even when he was a MTL prospect. He had a lot of promise but obviously didn't get to a higher level of consistency (I think mostly due to injury problems), though he's doing enough to show that he deserves to be in the NHL, at least in a depth role. He could still carve out a career on a bottom pair, although I would be the first to say that I would hope the Canucks can field a top-6 without him in it as I think he's still better suited as a reserve depth D (even if he has been playing much better over the last stretch of games). Good thing for him at this point in his career is that there's less pressure on all parties about sitting him for long stretches as he's more or less a known commodity now. Happy to see Juulsen have some success with the Canucks, and hope he can be a contributor to the team's success as the season progresses.

Looked at some advanced stats and noticed that Juulsen is particularly excellent on the PK, though I think he does have the benefit of playing on PK2 often against PP2. Still nice to see.

When Soucy gets back it’s not a given that Juulsen is the one sitting.  Zadorov has clearly outplayed Cole and Cole is a lefty, so he may not be able to play as effectively on the right side as Juulsen who is already a righty.  I would say if I had to bet that they will give Cole a game or two on the right side and if he can’t cut it then Juulsen will be the #6 Dman.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1