Noah Juulsen | #47 | RD

-AJ-

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Juulson's best game as a Canuck against the Avs. Very apparent that Foote is working with him. 

True. If he keep this up, I'll happily eat crow. Was a very competent 3RD last night.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, -AJ- said:

True. If he keep this up, I'll happily eat crow. Was a very competent 3RD last night.

I would love to hear the conversation between RT and Foote about Juulson. Drafted 1st round #26 by Montreal in 2015. D+2 he played 54 games split between the Habs and the AHL. In the fall of 2018 he took 2 pucks to the face in the same game with the last one being very serious. There were vison related after effects. To that point his progress had been steady improvement within the Habs org. A 200 pound RD who likes the physical side and has a decent 1st pass out of the d-zone. 3 orgs have seen value in Juulson, the Habs, Florida and Canucks. 

As I said before with Juulson it might come down to reps and the over emphasis on making mistakes. With 15 minutes of TOI he might settle into a viable 3RD. Even if it is not with the Canucks at 26 years old another org might like him enough to claim him off waivers. Very likely the reason he stays with the Canucks. Freidman is a steadier d-man but is older and has more NHL games under his belt. Juulson is a bigger option. It will be very interesting to see how he develops. The Soucy injury gives Juulson an opportunity. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

I dunno. Although his last game was quite decent, I haven't seen enough of good play from him that indicates to me that he's a solid option as a 3rd pairing defender on a regular basis. I've been happier with Friedman - though even he is ideally a 7th D. We need Tanev. He can pair with Hughes, bumping everyone else down 1 spot, which dramatically improves our depth. Hronek moves to man the 2nd D pairing (and the pp), leaving the remaining 3 spots to be manned by whoever is working out best between Cole, Soucy (when back), Juulsen, Friedman and Myers. Realistically, it would make sense to include one of those guys in going back in the trade...

10 minutes ago, Reznor said:

I dunno. Although his last game was quite decent, I haven't seen enough of good play from him that indicates to me that he's a solid option as a 3rd pairing defender on a regular basis. I've been happier with Friedman - though even he is ideally a 7th D. We need Tanev. He can pair with Hughes, bumping everyone else down 1 spot, which dramatically improves our depth. Hronek moves to man the 2nd D pairing (and the pp), leaving the remaining 3 spots to be manned by whoever is working out best between Cole, Soucy (when back), Juulsen, Friedman and Myers. Realistically, it would make sense to include one of those guys in going back in the trade...

Agreed. I've liked Friedman more than Juulsen, but I'll grant that Juulsen played quite well against the Avs. Time will tell if that was a one-off or if he's actually making strides. He should get another chance to prove that it's genuine improvement.

21 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Agreed. I've liked Friedman more than Juulsen, but I'll grant that Juulsen played quite well against the Avs. Time will tell if that was a one-off or if he's actually making strides. He should get another chance to prove that it's genuine improvement.

I suggest that Juulson gives us more size and physicality. He is younger than Friedman and has more upside. His play has improved steadily over the past 5 games as he gets reps. Not sure if PA thinks this is enough or not. Hronek-Meyers-Juulson on the right side is working but is not a serious playoff lineup. Obviously Foote and Gonchar have helped Meyers and Juulson steady their games. It is a win/win for PA as their stronger play gives him more options. I dream of the game when Meyers makes 2 - 3 solid hits and becomes the Chara of the Nucks. 

3 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I suggest that Juulson gives us more size and physicality. He is younger than Friedman and has more upside. His play has improved steadily over the past 5 games as he gets reps. Not sure if PA thinks this is enough or not. Hronek-Meyers-Juulson on the right side is working but is not a serious playoff lineup. Obviously Foote and Gonchar have helped Meyers and Juulson steady their games. It is a win/win for PA as their stronger play gives him more options. I dream of the game when Meyers makes 2 - 3 solid hits and becomes the Chara of the Nucks. 

He's been a mixed bag to me. He makes a number of good plays, but seems to make at least one or two terrible plays a game. Last night, he had some fantastic blocks, but also had a terrible giveaway that led to a very high quality Kraken chance.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

He's been a mixed bag to me. He makes a number of good plays, but seems to make at least one or two terrible plays a game. Last night, he had some fantastic blocks, but also had a terrible giveaway that led to a very high quality Kraken chance.

He has his moments. Has he played 75 NHL games yet? I just looked. He has 78 games. I noticed RT had him PK'ing a fair amount. 

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

He has his moments. Has he played 75 NHL games yet? I just looked. He has 78 games. I noticed RT had him PK'ing a fair amount. 

Yeah, he's been decent on the PK. He doesn't have much NHL experience, but he's also not that young a player now, at 26 years old. He's likely just starting to enter his prime now. If he was 22, I'd say he's got a ton of room to grow, but given his age, I don't expect more than a bottom pairing guy at best. For now, I still think he's probably a 7D.

2 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Been observing Juulson since he was inserted into the lineup this year. To me, it would appear that he improves his play a little with each successive game. At 26 he is just entering his prime. After watching our defensemen play the last few games, I don't believe that Juulson is the least capable defender out there. Not to point fingers at any particular defenseman but Ian Cole, over the last few games, seems to be having some difficulties with his passes and with the pace of opposing players off the rush.

In all fairness Juulson was not the only defenseman with an egregious giveaway. I noticed the same from Cole, Meyers, Hronek and Hughes.

To me, it would appear that Juulson is about to become a legit 3rd pairing defenseman. Who knows if he will progress beyond that.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Artemus said:

Been observing Juulson since he was inserted into the lineup this year. To me, it would appear that he improves his play a little with each successive game. At 26 he is just entering his prime. After watching our defensemen play the last few games, I don't believe that Juulson is the least capable defender out there. Not to point fingers at any particular defenseman but Ian Cole, over the last few games, seems to be having some difficulties with his passes and with the pace of opposing players off the rush.

In all fairness Juulson was not the only defenseman with an egregious giveaway. I noticed the same from Cole, Meyers, Hronek and Hughes.

To me, it would appear that Juulson is about to become a legit 3rd pairing defenseman. Who knows if he will progress beyond that.

It seems like fans wait for a mistake and then write Juulson off. Yes, he makes mistakes but as you pointed out they are fewer and fewer. As AJ suggested a #7 who can play when required. He has some time until Soucy returns or PA makes a deal. I just enjoy watching his progress. 

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Artemus said:

I would agree that Cole has been a bit suspect. I was super excited for him this year and generally, he's been solid, but he also tends to make a few bad mistakes most games.

• Cheers 1

I'm still seeing a number of boneheaded mistakes from Juulsen each game. I remain unconvinced that he's fully there. He's taken some strides, but needs to avoid losing the puck so many times, especially in high danger situations.

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

I'm still seeing a number of boneheaded mistakes from Juulsen each game. I remain unconvinced that he's fully there. He's taken some strides, but needs to avoid losing the puck so many times, especially in high danger situations.

Noah Juulsen is one of those unique players who is so defensively oriented that he'd rather surrender the puck so he can show off his strength and defensive skills.  After all, why bother stickhandling if you can just deliver bone-crushing hits instead?  Last night was one of those instances, where he completely panicked with the puck on his stick.

He is a hammer, and literally everything he sees looks like a nail.  Defend, and hit.  Defend, and hit.  If he gains possession, give it up so you can go back to defending and hitting.  You have to admire that kind of singlemindedness. 

Edited by Miss Korea
  • Haha 2
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Sure he makes mistakes but I don't think they should be overstated. Many were calling for Friedman to play last night yet RT stuck with Juulson. Other than his d-side gaffes he still throws nice passes out of the zone and can deliver physicality on a consistent basis. With the arrival of Zad and the eventual return of Soucy the time Juulson has to solidify his game are numbered. It is obvious to me that Juulson is a NHL d-man whether with the Canucks or another org. The question might be whether he survives within the org as a #7 or 8 going into a playoff run. He is affordable and IMO a better d-man than Friedman. He likely has more durability than Friedman. Juulson absolutely needs game time reps and will likely get them until Soucy's return. 

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

5 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Sure he makes mistakes but I don't think they should be overstated. Many were calling for Friedman to play last night yet RT stuck with Juulson. Other than his d-side gaffes he still throws nice passes out of the zone and can deliver physicality on a consistent basis. With the arrival of Zad and the eventual return of Soucy the time Juulson has to solidify his game are numbered. It is obvious to me that Juulson is a NHL d-man whether with the Canucks or another org. The question might be whether he survives within the org as a #7 or 8 going into a playoff run. He is affordable and IMO a better d-man than Friedman. He likely has more durability than Friedman. Juulson absolutely needs game time reps and will likely get them until Soucy's return. 

Juulsson processes the game too slow. He can survive in a very controlled system. 

7 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Yeah. I can see where you are coming from. There were a couple of times when Juulsen had me cringing. When the puck slid off his stick resulting in an odd man rush the other way and when he put the puck over the glass at the end of the game which resulted in a quick power play goal against. Those two misplays were glaring and obvious.

But, I see a lot of good plays. Seems to be a staple on the penalty kill for RT. I like how, on the kill, that Juulsen is able to pin players on the boards and take the puck away from them. I also noticed that the TV announcers were, on occasion, talking about good plays by Juulsen. So, not all bad.

Last night was not one of Juulsen's better games. He had some bad bounces. I believe that he will continue to progress but that he will also have some less than stellar games. Pretty much can be said about all 3rd pairing defensemen.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Artemus said:

Yeah. I can see where you are coming from. There were a couple of times when Juulsen had me cringing. When the puck slid off his stick resulting in an odd man rush the other way and when he put the puck over the glass at the end of the game which resulted in a quick power play goal against. Those two misplays were glaring and obvious.

But, I see a lot of good plays. Seems to be a staple on the penalty kill for RT. I like how, on the kill, that Juulsen is able to pin players on the boards and take the puck away from them. I also noticed that the TV announcers were, on occasion, talking about good plays by Juulsen. So, not all bad.

Last night was not one of Juulsen's better games. He had some bad bounces. I believe that he will continue to progress but that he will also have some less than stellar games. Pretty much can be said about all 3rd pairing defensemen.

He is at around 75 NHL games. 

12 hours ago, NorthWestNuck said:

Juulson at this point is in my opinion a valuable #7-8 dman who can jump onto that 3rd pair smoothly. I still feel more comfortable with him on the ice then the Giraffe, and for a much cheaper rate, but both can get into trouble when pushed higher up in the line up.

This exactly. The positives with Juuls is his physical play and that he's a RHD. He seemingly is improving with more NHL time with the big club. A depth call up in the fullest sense. Will he turn out to be more?!?!?!? Who knows, but probably not.

Hmmmmm.......can Woo be this guy for us? Who knows. Probably not.

Hope and glass 1/2 full is good.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sativika said:

This exactly. The positives with Juuls is his physical play and that he's a RHD. He seemingly is improving with more NHL time with the big club. A depth call up in the fullest sense. Will he turn out to be more?!?!?!? Who knows, but probably not.

Hmmmmm.......can Woo be this guy for us? Who knows. Probably not.

Hope and glass 1/2 full is good.

What 6 hits against the Devils. I don't think he was on the ice for a goals against. As you said he is improving. All about reps IMHO. He has played about 75 NHL games yet gets dumped on when he makes mistakes. 

• Upvote 1

My regular props to Juulson's game against Minny. Less than 13 TOI but I thought he outplayed Meyers. 71 NHL games now and he takes flack beyond what is due. IMHO he has 5D potential. He has the physicality that the Canucks will have to have come April. Patience by RT and Foote are giving this 26 year old the reps he has to have. Fans want Bear but I am questioning what he will give at the cost. The CAP might end up being better spent on  a forward. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Boudrias said:

My regular props to Juulson's game against Minny. Less than 13 TOI but I thought he outplayed Meyers. 71 NHL games now and he takes flack beyond what is due. IMHO he has 5D potential. He has the physicality that the Canucks will have to have come April. Patience by RT and Foote are giving this 26 year old the reps he has to have. Fans want Bear but I am questioning what he will give at the cost. The CAP might end up being better spent on  a forward. 

Love the physicality that he brings to the game, he just needs to work on decisions of when to use it.

He's getting better, I think Foote is having a very positive influence on Juulsen. He just needs to keep his game simple and I think he can become a solid bottom pairing guy.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

Love the physicality that he brings to the game, he just needs to work on decisions of when to use it.

Definitely this. He's a good hitter, but a lot of the time, he's way out of position after going for a hit and other linemates need to cover for him. From the little I've seen, a guy like Zadorov fills the same role as Juulsen, but does it much better. He skates better, handles the puck better, and thinks faster and smarter, so he's less likely to get in trouble.

• Cheers 1

Just now, -AJ- said:

Definitely this. He's a good hitter, but a lot of the time, he's way out of position after going for a hit and other linemates need to cover for him. From the little I've seen, a guy like Zadorov fills the same role as Juulsen, but does it much better. He skates better, handles the puck better, and thinks faster and smarter, so he's less likely to get in trouble.

And he's 4 inches taller and about 47 lbs heavier.