Noah Juulsen | #47 | RD

-AJ-

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

When Soucy gets back it’s not a given that Juulsen is the one sitting.  Zadorov has clearly outplayed Cole and Cole is a lefty, so he may not be able to play as effectively on the right side as Juulsen who is already a righty.  I would say if I had to bet that they will give Cole a game or two on the right side and if he can’t cut it then Juulsen will be the #6 Dman.

Two weeks ago, I would've called you crazy, but this might be a good plan. Cole has probably been our worst D lately--which isn't to say he's been bad, but Juulsen has stepped up his game so much that he's pushed Cole down to #6.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

When Soucy gets back it’s not a given that Juulsen is the one sitting.  Zadorov has clearly outplayed Cole and Cole is a lefty, so he may not be able to play as effectively on the right side as Juulsen who is already a righty.  I would say if I had to bet that they will give Cole a game or two on the right side and if he can’t cut it then Juulsen will be the #6 Dman.

It's that beautiful thing called depth, EP.  It's been a long time since we've seen our team with

this kind of depth on defence.  The ability to slip players in an out of the lineup, keeps them

fresh, lessens the likelihood of injuries and keeps them hungry to play.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, higgyfan said:

It's that beautiful thing called depth, EP.  It's been a long time since we've seen our team with

this kind of depth on defence.  The ability to slip players in an out of the lineup, keeps them

fresh, lessens the likelihood of injuries and keeps them hungry to play.

Other than Soucy the regular march to the infirmary by Canuck d-men has not been happening a lot. The stronger the 3rd pairing the more able RT can cut some minutes off Hughes/Hroneck. A better rested 1st pairing will help in CUP play. I like AJ's read on how the d-core shakes out. Cole is a LD by trade. He has experience but reps are building Juulson's game. Tonight's game will be interesting.  

On 12/22/2023 at 8:02 AM, -AJ- said:

Two weeks ago, I would've called you crazy, but this might be a good plan. Cole has probably been our worst D lately--which isn't to say he's been bad, but Juulsen has stepped up his game so much that he's pushed Cole down to #6.

This is what the organization needs. For the younger players to push out the veterans, before they can be given a more prominent role. I agree that earlier in the year, I would've said you'd be nuts if Juulsen was the #6, but his play has been improved so much the last little while, and has been consistent, that he's earned the opportunity to prove whether he can sustain that level of play. 

Honestly, I like Cole, but at 3M, he's quite an expensive depth piece. If he comes back, he'd be needing to take much less to return as a Canuck. 

17 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Other than Soucy the regular march to the infirmary by Canuck d-men has not been happening a lot. The stronger the 3rd pairing the more able RT can cut some minutes off Hughes/Hroneck. A better rested 1st pairing will help in CUP play. I like AJ's read on how the d-core shakes out. Cole is a LD by trade. He has experience but reps are building Juulson's game. Tonight's game will be interesting.  

I didn't get to watch the game tonight against SJ, how did Juulsen look tonight?

16 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I didn't get to watch the game tonight against SJ, how did Juulsen look tonight?

I didn't watch him too closely most of the time, but when I was watching him, he played quite well.

7 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Juulson had another strong game IMO. 16 - 17 minutes of TOI. I thought he outplayed Meyers. I think it was early 3rd when he made a serious hit along the boards. Again RT had positive reviews for Juulson in the postgame. Commented about how much time he was spending with Foote and Gonchar. Juulson does not panic in d-zone play. His exits are pretty good and a number of nice passes. 

In the PGT I commented on how much the Vancouver d-core was being activated last night. Most noticeable was Juulson, Meyers and Cole. So much so that it seemed that this was a coaching decision. It made me wonder what the coaching was working on. Do they think the forwards attention to puck support is established enough to have defenders drive ozone entry more? As much as I think Juulson outplayed Meyers last night I was impressed by Meyers open ice skating and his ozone setups and shots. Juulson and Cole also had looks but were more conservative. My issue with Meyers is his d-zone play. On the SJ goal he did not clear the puck on a easy exit and the followup FO led to the SJ goal. In the late 3rd he skated up ice, spent + 3 minutes on a shift and then did a poor job coming back. Yes, the team had a 2 goal lead but his adventure was not warranted. Again, if this type of play is what his coaches are trying then the result is not entirely on Myers. 

Kuz might be the order of the day on talking Canucks but the d-core will have its day in January. When Soucy comes back who will sit? Soucy was almost a 

0.50 ppg d-man before his injury. Does he re-establish a 2LD which would drop Zad to 3LD. Does Cole sit or does he get a real look at 3RD with Juulson sitting. It still begs the question of whether Meyers is a legit 2RD on a CUP contending team. PA has only so much space and CAP. Does he go after a top 6 winger or a 2RD?  

My gut feeling is that Cole and Friedman will go to free agency and not be re-signed. Myers may be re-signed but not if his asking price is North of 3.5 mil. Zadorov is questionable because of how much he may want in his contract negotiations. Juulsen will be a regular on the D.

This is my projected D for next year as of this writing:

Hughes - Hronek

Soucy - Myers

Hirose - Juulsen

Brisebois - Woo

I based this on cap concerns as well as relative ability to play the positions they are slotted in. Certainly any trades can change the defensive landscape in a hurry and there is a good chance that may happen before the start of next season.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

My gut feeling is that Cole and Friedman will go to free agency and not be re-signed. Myers may be re-signed but not if his asking price is North of 3.5 mil. Zadorov is questionable because of how much he may want in his contract negotiations. Juulsen will be a regular on the D.

This is my projected D for next year as of this writing:

Hughes - Hronek

Soucy - Myers

Hirose - Juulsen

Brisebois - Woo

I based this on cap concerns as well as relative ability to play the positions they are slotted in. Certainly any trades can change the defensive landscape in a hurry and there is a good chance that may happen before the start of next season.

Well Koots your picks aren't out of line but I suggest that the run to the playoffs might put some twists into the mix. I question whether Zad or Meyers are true 2nd pairing d-men on a CUP contender.  When the Canuck offence is pumping goals in the weaknesses on the d-side get covered up to an extent the same way the goalies cover for d-zone whooppies. The spring run might tell the tale. If Meyers reverts to his classic errors he might not even be offered a contract. I have thought Zad has stabilized Meyer's game to an extent. My impression with Zad is he is all business and will pick the best option for his career. Meyers might cut Van a deal to stay. If that happens we have to wonder whether keeping him as a 3RD is worth it as he will stunt development of younger prospects by taking their TOI. 

Fun times to be a Canuck fan. 

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

I question whether Zad or Meyers are true 2nd pairing d-men on a CUP contender. 

Not sure they are as well. but there is really no one in the system ready at the moment to take that position over and bringing in that level of talent on the D would mean gutting some of the forward core to pay for them and still be cap compliant. That being said; I could see a scenario where one of Kuzy, Garland or Mikheyev are traded for that coveted #2 RD.

I don't think they will make to many changes this ongoing season esp. at the trade deadline but will be actively shopping in the off season. If for some reason the team goes off the rails between now and the trade deadline then all bets are off as to trades happening.

Edited by Kootenay Gold

13 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Not sure they are as well. but there is really no one in the system ready at the moment to take that position over and bringing in that level of talent on the D would mean gutting some of the forward core to pay for them and still be cap compliant. That being said; I could see a scenario where one of Kuzy, Garland or Mikheyev are traded for that coveted #2 RD.

I don't think they will make to many changes this ongoing season esp. at the trade deadline but will be actively shopping in the off season. If for some reason the team goes off the rails between now and the trade deadline then all bets are off as to trades happening.

No chance we trade Mik. Gnome or Missile could go though. 
New management has an actual plan. Unlike Benning. 

15 minutes ago, Alflives said:

No chance we trade Mik. Gnome or Missile could go though. 
New management has an actual plan. Unlike Benning. 

Merry Christmas Alf

Just throwing a few names out there. Not sure any of them will be moved this year.

JR & PA may stand pat till the off season and evaluate the team then based on how they do in the playoffs.

• Vintage 1

Juulsen is a depth piece on our roster except for the fact he is playing on the right side.

Hard to say what happens when Soucy is back...

Cole is not getting any younger so he may sit as injury/maintenance relief spot duty.

My pipe dream is to get Willander onto the roster somehow.

Hughes Hronek

Zadorov Myers

Soucy Juulsen

Cole

For now...

Edited by canuck73
  • Cheers 1

51 minutes ago, canuck73 said:

Juulsen is a depth piece on our roster except for the fact he is playing on the right side.

Hard to say what happens when Soucy is back...

Cole is not getting any younger so he may sit as injury/maintenance relief spot duty.

My pipe dream is to get Willander onto the roster somehow.

Hughes Hronek

Zadorov Myers

Soucy Juulsen

Cole

For now...

no way Cole comes out of the line-up Cole is a legit no.4 d man in this league this year

Soucy, Zads and to an extent Cole are no. 4/5 guys

Myers is a good no. 6

Juulsen is an ok no. 6/7

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, canucks curse said:

no way Cole comes out of the line-up Cole is a legit no.4 d man in this league this year

Soucy, Zads and to an extent Cole are no. 4/5 guys

Myers is a good no. 6

Juulsen is an ok no. 6/7

Just looking at ice time Myers plays top 4 minutes so it would tell me the coaches do not agree with your assessment. Same applies for soucy... he has not played top 4 minutes so far in his career. Both zad and Cole are up and down. Cole is good defensively but does not offer much offensively so he will get pushed down the depth charts if we add more depth on d.

6 hours ago, canuck73 said:

Just looking at ice time Myers plays top 4 minutes so it would tell me the coaches do not agree with your assessment. Same applies for soucy... he has not played top 4 minutes so far in his career. Both zad and Cole are up and down. Cole is good defensively but does not offer much offensively so he will get pushed down the depth charts if we add more depth on d.

To be fair, although Juulsen makes some savvy plays, his offense is no better than Cole's. 1 assist in 24 games.

5 hours ago, -AJ- said:

To be fair, although Juulsen makes some savvy plays, his offense is no better than Cole's. 1 assist in 24 games.

I think the ask on Juulson has been to play a solid d-side game. His TOI usually at 15 and a number of PK shifts. His passes out of the d-zone have been generally good. As I mentioned earlier RT was activating the d-core more than I have seen before against SJ. I assume this was deliberate and if so what did they want to see? 

4 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I think the ask on Juulson has been to play a solid d-side game. His TOI usually at 15 and a number of PK shifts. His passes out of the d-zone have been generally good. As I mentioned earlier RT was activating the d-core more than I have seen before against SJ. I assume this was deliberate and if so what did they want to see? 

Agreed, I just wonder what his edge over Cole is then. Is he better defensively than Cole? He's not likely better offensively, maybe aside from good zone exit passes, which don't usually lead to points, but do contribute to offense. In the end, his best trait when compared to Cole might be that he's a natural RD who's a RHD, which we know Tocchet prefers.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

Agreed, I just wonder what his edge over Cole is then. Is he better defensively than Cole? He's not likely better offensively, maybe aside from good zone exit passes, which don't usually lead to points, but do contribute to offense. In the end, his best trait when compared to Cole might be that he's a natural RD who's a RHD, which we know Tocchet prefers.

I think the biggest factor will be the difference in Cap hit between Cole and Juulsen. Juulsen is a much cheaper option in what is likely going to be a tight Cap squeeze next year. I am also expecting that Woo will probably make the team for the very same reason. The Canucks need some of these players on Cap friendly contracts to fill expected holes in the roster. Both Zadorov and Myers are questionable for next year. It will come down to how much they are asking vs how much the Canucks are willing to pay.

28 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I think the biggest factor will be the difference in Cap hit between Cole and Juulsen. Juulsen is a much cheaper option in what is likely going to be a tight Cap squeeze next year. I am also expecting that Woo will probably make the team for the very same reason. The Canucks need some of these players on Cap friendly contracts to fill expected holes in the roster. Both Zadorov and Myers are questionable for next year. It will come down to how much they are asking vs how much the Canucks are willing to pay.

For next year, yes, that is a great point, but I wonder what we will do this year when Soucy is back. Does Cole/Soucy beat out Juulsen for the last spot making him the 7D?

36 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

For next year, yes, that is a great point, but I wonder what we will do this year when Soucy is back. Does Cole/Soucy beat out Juulsen for the last spot making him the 7D?

I think Cole / Juulsen will be in or out of the lineup depending on who they are playing at least until the injury bug hits the team. IMO, that also helps keep both fresh and ready to go when needed.

Edited by Kootenay Gold
  • Cheers 3

16 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Assuming no other injuries the proof will be on the ice. The experience alone with a Cole/Soucy pairing would be hard to turn down. I have been a big Juulson fan since October and the reps he has gotten to date has shown a steady improvement in his game. IMHO Tocc has to have a look at his options when Soucy returns. I can see Juulson sitting because of that evaluation. If he sits I think he continues to work with Foote and Gonchar in prep for coming back in if needed or even possibly beating Cole out. The dog days are coming fast. 

• Like 1