[Re-Signing] Colorado extends Devon Toews

3 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Lou just couldn't afford these types of overpaid players you know

image.png.36b8efe32b7f6205e4ee5a867763dcb1.png

I remember it being pegged as a fair trade at the time, it didn't age well though

But everything just kinda came together for the Avs, Mac was realizing his potential and the team went supernova once Makar stepped in 

Hockey's funny that way sometimes, Avs made a lot of smart moves but they also got lucky 

2 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Toews is the prime example of a player whose underlying metrics was already elite even during his NYI days, and that the other numbers finally caught up afterwards.

image.png.5347837a5db342f8f29960c72324bc23.png

He does look happier in an Avs uniform, though.

image.png.51c478701c27d9b46e1172fcd3411a49.png

Gotta credit Sakic and the Avs for that, Lou gave up on him too quickly, once upon a time folks used to lambast Sakic as a mediocre GM

Funny how things work out

6 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Gotta credit Sakic and the Avs for that, Lou gave up on him too quickly, once upon a time folks used to lambast Sakic as a mediocre GM

It was Chris Macfarland who was behind that deal! He’s the real brains of the operation 😏

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Highstickin said:

Um .... we just beat the Stanley Cup favorites (according to 50% of the SN writers) 8-1 so I'm pretty sure that makes us the favorites to win the cup now. That's how that works right, right?! 

I think we're officially a dynasty now.

• Haha 2

That sounds like an absolute steal. He's probably worth $9M and maybe even more if you believe he's good even without Makar. He wants to win. Kudos to him for taking a massive discount over such a long deal. I regularly have him in my top 10 Norris rankings.

43 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I think it's moreso they didn't feel they needed 2 defensive LH defensemen. Ultimately they picked Pelech over Toews, who is also a great defenseman, but didn't realize that Toews had another gear offensively.

1 hour ago, ManbeastMARK said:

WAY less than market value.

Have to agree. It would have been great if the Canucks could have signed Toews at this number. Colorado did well to lock him up a year before he was due for free agency and before the cap goes up.