'If you want to fight, just ask me': Maple Leafs' Reaves wants Xhekaj rematch

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/if-you-want-to-fight-just-ask-me-maple-leafs-reaves-wants-xhekaj-rematch/

TORONTO — Fans of heavyweight hockey tilts, circle March 9 on your calendar.

Ryan Reaves wants a rematch with Arber Xhekaj

"Yeah. I don't like getting jumped," the Toronto Maple Leafs winger said Friday.

"I don't know if I've ever really jumped anybody. If you want to fight, just ask me. I'm always around. You know where to find me."

• ThereItIs 2

More from the link you provided:

"I don't know if he (pushed me into the net) on purpose to end it or what. I don't know. Once I kinda stood up and he ended grabbing me, he just kind of tried pushing me for the rest of the way," Reaves said.

"So, I felt like it was on purpose. But we got (the Canadiens) two more times. I'm sure something might happen. I don't want to go out like that."

9 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

You can bet your bottom dollar Bettman and others will be at Canadiens-Leafs games. Reminds me a bit of Moore with the Canucks in 2004.

Except Xhekaj is likely to answer the bell.  My money's on them dropping the mitts in the first period and it being over.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Except Xhekaj is likely to answer the bell.  My money's on them dropping the mitts in the first period and it being over.

A good clean fight would be the best outcome here for sure and probably quite likely since both players are generally willing combatants. I still think the NHL brass will be a bit nervous though.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I don't think it merits league attention at all. 

I would say that any time a player says something to the effect of "circle the next time we play each other because we're gonna have fisticuffs", the League is paying attention.

• Vintage 1

25 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

Why even talk about it.

Sad players doing that as Reaves could just wait till they play again and then ask him.That would take class but going to the media shows he has little.

I don't mind it one bit. The personalities of hockey players are as bland as a bag of flour - the league could use a little publicized taunting. 

The league needs more players like Reaves. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Goal_thecup said:

More from the link you provided:

"I don't know if he (pushed me into the net) on purpose to end it or what. I don't know. Once I kinda stood up and he ended grabbing me, he just kind of tried pushing me for the rest of the way," Reaves said.

"So, I felt like it was on purpose. But we got (the Canadiens) two more times. I'm sure something might happen. I don't want to go out like that."

image.png.561a4d8494588680ccadc75acde3a629.png

200w.webp?cid=ecf05e47xhtlsozagfkrjjn7t6

Edited by 6of1_halfdozenofother

8 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Reaves is a hard-nosed clean player.  He would never jump a guy the way that gutless kid just did.

https://streamable.com/cud4

This guy needs to get hired straight into the Department of Player Safety

Lol Calling Xhekaj gutless. Kid is pure heart. Reeves threw a dirty hit on Guhle and Xhekaj respo ded according 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I would say that any time a player says something to the effect of "circle the next time we play each other because we're gonna have fisticuffs", the League is paying attention.

They allow fighting to occur in the game, but don't want the players alluding to it.......That sounds like Bettman's NHL.

3 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

Lol Calling Xhekaj gutless. Kid is pure heart. Reeves threw a dirty hit on Guhle and Xhekaj respo ded according 

1 minute ago, Canuck Surfer said:

LOL

Did I miss something?  I thought both Xhkaj & Reaves dropped their gloves to start that fight.  If anything Reaves had his off first...

season 10 episode 22 GIF

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

They allow fighting to occur in the game, but don't want the players alluding to it.......That sounds like Bettman's NHL.

Probably worried about it boiling over to more than just a fight. I don't think he'd bother attending for just a fight.

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

What else would happen? Reaves shivs him between periods?

I mean, they evidently thought the same in 2004, but then old Crow told Bert to jump Moore and the rest is history. In fact, I'm pretty sure Moore did fight (with Cooke I think?) in that game, but the cheapshot still happened. The situation isn't really the same, so I wouldn't expect anything unless Xhekaj suddenly decides he doesn't fight anymore and Reaves gets frustrated. A blowout of a game could also create frustrations that might make things blow up.

38 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

LOL

Did I miss something?  I thought both Xhkaj & Reaves dropped their gloves to start that fight.  If anything Reaves had his off first...

It ended up being a 2 on 1 with the net getting involved 

image.png.eaf7781cf0523e6923d9f69c5085bd49.png

Edited by AlwaysACanuckFan
  • Haha 1