Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

-AJ-

• 3 weeks later...

Funny how time changes things. 

He's gone from a guy who was viewed as considerably overpaid, to a guy some folks wanted to dump, to a guy who's had a career season. 

One year left a 6.65M though, gotta think he'll be due for a healthy raise if he can put up 30+ goals and 60+ points again next season. 

13 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Funny how time changes things. 

He's gone from a guy who was viewed as considerably overpaid, to a guy some folks wanted to dump, to a guy who's had a career season. 

One year left a 6.65M though, gotta think he'll be due for a healthy raise if he can put up 30+ goals and 60+ points again next season. 

I have suggested we need to trade him this off-season when his value is the highest but that is more to do with salary situation and Lekk being there to back fill.

Big fan of Brock and glad he got outta the funk from the last 2 years. 
Still think moving him may be the best option to get Dak, Zad and a third line centre signed. 
His contract comes up just as OEL’s penalty jumps and it is unlikely we can sign him so need to be proactive this off-season. 

At the same time PA pulls out miracles on the regular so I will trust him to handle this. 

21 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

I have suggested we need to trade him this off-season when his value is the highest but that is more to do with salary situation and Lekk being there to back fill.

Big fan of Brock and glad he got outta the funk from the last 2 years. 
Still think moving him may be the best option to get Dak, Zad and a third line centre signed. 
His contract comes up just as OEL’s penalty jumps and it is unlikely we can sign him so need to be proactive this off-season. 

At the same time PA pulls out miracles on the regular so I will trust him to handle this. 

I understand your argument, but I dunno.. 

I'd maybe consider trading him for another top six caliber player who has a lower cap hit, and who has term. 

I don't expect Lekkerimaki to step in and be able to effectively take the spot of a guy who put up 40+ goals and 70+ points, I could very well see Lekkerimaki playing in Abbotsford next season. In fact I'd prefer it if he did, I'm all for allowing Lekkerimaki and Willander to stew. I wouldn't even expect Lekkerimaki to his the 20+ goals and 50ish points Brock's usually been good for, and I think he's a very good prospect. 

If anything the Canucks need another top six player to go with Boeser, Pettersson, Miller, and Hoglander, and that's assuming Hoglander slots in as a top six player next season. Maybe Garland gets bumped up, hard to say, but I do think we need another top six talent up front. 

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

I understand your argument, but I dunno.. 

I'd maybe consider trading him for another top six caliber player who has a lower cap hit, and who has term. 

I don't expect Lekkerimaki to step in and be able to effectively take the spot of a guy who put up 40+ goals and 70+ points, I could very well see Lekkerimaki playing in Abbotsford next season. In fact I'd prefer it if he did, I'm all for allowing Lekkerimaki and Willander to stew. I wouldn't even expect Lekkerimaki to his the 20+ goals and 50ish points Brock's usually been good for, and I think he's a very good prospect. 

If anything the Canucks need another top six player to go with Boeser, Pettersson, Miller, and Hoglander, and that's assuming Hoglander slots in as a top six player next season. Maybe Garland gets bumped up, hard to say, but I do think we need another top six talent up front. 

I agree on Lekk and that generally seems where current management sits on not rushing prospects.  
I agree we need another top 6 winger and I think with our cap it needs to be Podz or some regular miracle that PA pulls off. 

I hope we can find a way to keep Brock but ultimately 1 year left, after a career year and winning the cup.  Plus probably can’t re-sign with OEL, EP and Hronek to pay when his contract is up and Hughes coming fast for another $12M contract that is well earned. 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

I agree on Lekk and that generally seems where current management sits on not rushing prospects.  
I agree we need another top 6 winger and I think with our cap it needs to be Podz or some regular miracle that PA pulls off. 

I hope we can find a way to keep Brock but ultimately 1 year left, after a career year and winning the cup.  Plus probably can’t re-sign with OEL, EP and Hronek to pay when his contract is up and Hughes coming fast for another $12M contract that is well earned. 

Podz may have yet to give but I'm not as optimistic about his being a top six player over the next season or two. I'd be happy to see him solidify himself as a solid third liner, anything else is gravy sooner than later. This isn't to say he couldn't be a top six player at some point, but it'd be quite a jump to go from having spent most of the year in the AHL to being a top six guy within a couple seasons. But hey, here's hoping he does it. 

Podz should get opportunities though, guys getting their bigger deals necessitates finding ways to integrate cost effective talent. This offseason it's Pettersson's kicking will kick in next season', maybe Hronek's too, over the next few season's it'll be Boeser, Demko, and Hughes. Cap coming off the books organically will help, but when a player's deal expires you've still got to pay to replace said player one way or another. 

That's the cost of becoming a playoff team though, cap crunches and having to pay for both individual player success and team success. Good teams bleed off talent due to the salary cap, it's just the way it goes. 

How that affects Brock is anyone's guess, but I'm inclined to believe it'd be cheaper to retain him than to try and find a similar tier player via UFA. Trades are always an option, but typically teams have to give quality to get quality. 

OK OK I’ll eat my words. He’s been a beast and consistent in the playoffs. I’m seeing poise, I’m seeing habits I haven’t seen before. I can admit that I’m a donkey from time to time.

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...