Ovi watch/prediction thread.

All time career NHL goals beginning of 23/24 season:

1. Gretzky - 894
  2. Ovi - 822

Predict the date Ovi ties and beats Gretzky's record, winner gets bragging rights.

I'll go out on a limb and predict he doesn't do it, retires maybe 20-30 goals short.

To go for the record

Edited by Dumb Nuck

13 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

1. Gretzky - 864
  2. Ovi - 822

Predict the date Ovi ties and beats Gretzky's record, winner gets bragging rights.

I'll go out on a limb and predict he doesn't do it, retires maybe 20-30 goals short.

Umm....the Wayner has 894 career goals, not 864.

If he plays next year, injury free for the most part I believe he'll pass #99...he also needs a big, injury free year this year too.

27 minutes ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

Umm....the Wayner has 894 career goals, not 864.

If he plays next year, injury free for the most part I believe he'll pass #99...he also needs a big, injury free year this year too.

I must halve been Alf drunk when I posted that.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

He's off to a very slow start. 0 goals and 1 assist in 3 games. 0 SOG tonight.

I wouldn't be surprised if he only scores 20 this year and retires. I was really rooting for him, would be something to see but time is a b1thch.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

I wouldn't be surprised if he only scores 20 this year and retires. I was really rooting for him, would be something to see but time is a b1thch.

I think he'll get there. He did have 42 last year. The problem is the Caps are dreadful so not as many opportunities than before.

Though his slow start made my OV under 3.5 SOG prop bet a piece of cake. 🍺

1 hour ago, Dumb Nuck said:

1. Gretzky - 894
  2. Ovi - 822

lol OP why would anyone retire from just 70 goals of the all time record? The dude will play till 42 if he has to lol.. 

I predict he will get it towards the end of next season. March/April 2025. 

He will most likely break the record as he will simply continue to play until he does.  Washington is crap this year and they probably will need to start rebuilding soon.  So, he may need another 3 seasons to break the record.

My prediction is he will break it in March of 2025 and then retire after the season is over when his contract is up at the age of 40...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Drakrami said:

lol OP why would anyone retire from just 70 goals of the all time record? The dude will play till 42 if he has to lol.. 

I predict he will get it towards the end of next season. March/April 2025. 

Gretzky retired just 6 from 900. If his production severely drops of might take 5 or 6 years and who know if they’ll want to keep him around. Also the older you get the more prone to injuries you get, like I said, I hope he does it, I’d love to see it but I am seriously starting to have my doubts.

Edited by Dumb Nuck
  • Cheers 1

15 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He will most likely break the record as he will simply continue to play until he does.  Washington is crap this year and they probably will need to start rebuilding soon.  So, he may need another 3 seasons to break the record.

My prediction is he will break it in March of 2025 and then retire after the season is over when his contract is up at the age of 40...

Likely the case.  Unless he wants to chase the pro goal record, then he'd need another 52 to beat a 17 year old Gretzky. 

• Cheers 1

17 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

He's off to a very slow start. 0 goals and 1 assist in 3 games. 0 SOG tonight.

Don't worry.  Someone will explain how that means he's already passed Wayne.     Different "era's".   

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 1

14 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Gretzky retired just 6 from 900. If his production severely drops of might take 5 or 6 years and who know if they’ll want to keep him around. Also the older you get the more prone to injuries you get, like I said, I hope he does it, I’d love to see it but I am seriously starting to have my doubts.

Gretzky almost retired twice.   If he did the first time, his goal scoring would have been close to a goal per game.   After 9-10 years.   Then again in 92-93.   Came back and took his team to the final.    Anyways.   I'm a lot older than Ovi and he looks old as fuck for his age.   Still think he can do it.   Also thought Jagr could do it though.   Don't want to root against Ovi.   Also don't want to get flamed but for me he's the Bobby Hull of his generation.   Another guy who scored 900 pro goals...600 by 34..: and 300 after. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Gretz played in both a Wild Wild West era and a bit of a dead puck era in the mid to late 90's

Living through that era, the "dead puck" interference era started a few years before the definitive line of 94-95.   Players complained about it for several years before that.    That was another round of expansion, and NJ finding some success already.   The peak "scoring" year was actually 1981. 

As for Gretzky, he blew out his shoulder around 86-87.   And then his lower back in the early 90's.    It's not like he never took a hit.   In 92-93 it was solemn reverence when a story came out he'd considered retirement with his back.   

Know this won't be popular, but see Ovi as Dave Anderchyuk plus.   The plus is for sure he's more skilled, but also has longevity, and spent all his career post lockout.   I'm glad folks have got to see greatness though.   Ovi is absolutely great.  Gretzky however, didn't feast on the PP.   72 shorties.   And yes i'd love it if Ovi and Gretzky were on the same line it would be sick.   Gretzky and Mario are another level though. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

I do hope that this “putin’s hockey player “

never breaks the Great one record and will be punished for his open support of the mass murderer.

Sorry to say that, but it is not just my opinion, most of Ukrainian hockey fans feel the same.

I do not care how great a player Ovi is, but he is rotten inside.

• Like 1

On 10/19/2023 at 2:54 PM, Silent Man said:

I do hope that this “putin’s hockey player “

never breaks the Great one record and will be punished for his open support of the mass murderer.

Sorry to say that, but it is not just my opinion, most of Ukrainian hockey fans feel the same.

I do not care how great a player Ovi is, but he is rotten inside.

Eer so what about Canada and US support for Israel who retaliating and killing a bunch of civilian in the process? 

10 hours ago, Ds4quality said:

How many times does he play the Canucks because there's like 10 in 2 games, or so it would seem

2x

I saw him on the street the other day, he looked old but then he kinda does.

I went to about 5 caps games over the past 2 seasons and he really just skates between centre-ice and the faceoff circle. The shot is still dangerous so i think he'll still get a bunch soon but if he's shot is there then he'll score. May be easier if the team sucks as less push to worry about defence.

Edited by OldFaithfulcap
c

On 10/19/2023 at 1:11 PM, IBatch said:

Living through that era, the "dead puck" interference era started a few years before the definitive line of 94-95.   Players complained about it for several years before that.    That was another round of expansion, and NJ finding some success already.   The peak "scoring" year was actually 1981. 

As for Gretzky, he blew out his shoulder around 86-87.   And then his lower back in the early 90's.    It's not like he never took a hit.   In 92-93 it was solemn reverence when a story came out he'd considered retirement with his back.   

Know this won't be popular, but see Ovi as Dave Anderchyuk plus.   The plus is for sure he's more skilled, but also has longevity, and spent all his career post lockout.   I'm glad folks have got to see greatness though.   Ovi is absolutely great.  Gretzky however, didn't feast on the PP.   72 shorties.   And yes i'd love it if Ovi and Gretzky were on the same line it would be sick.   Gretzky and Mario are another level though. 

Mike Bossy was the greatest goal scorer ever, and it's not even close.  573 goals in 752 games, 0.76 GPG is insane for a 10-year period.  If Bossy played until he was 38 he easily gets 900 goals.  In comparison, if you take Ovi's first 760 games over his first 10 seasons, he scored 475 goals.  That's almost 100 goals less.  He's at 0.62 GPG.  

Mind you, if you take Gretzky's first 774 games over 10 seasons, he scored 637 goals, so he's at 0.82 GPG.  So, Gretzky has even better numbers than Bossy.  Even Pavel is at 0.62 GPG for his career, which is 437 goals in 702 games.  So he is equal to Ovi.  Bure was much more exciting to watch than Ovi as well and had more 60 goal seasons as well.  Bure is another guy that if he played until he was 38, he could have had 800 goals.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Mike Bossy was the greatest goal scorer ever, and it's not even close.  573 goals in 752 games, 0.76 GPG is insane for a 10-year period.  If Bossy played until he was 38 he easily gets 900 goals.  In comparison, if you take Ovi's first 760 games over his first 10 seasons, he scored 475 goals.  That's almost 100 goals less.  He's at 0.62 GPG.  

Mind you, if you take Gretzky's first 774 games over 10 seasons, he scored 637 goals, so he's at 0.82 GPG.  So, Gretzky has even better numbers than Bossy.  Even Pavel is at 0.62 GPG for his career, which is 437 goals in 702 games.  So he is equal to Ovi.  Bure was much more exciting to watch than Ovi as well and had more 60 goal seasons as well.  Bure is another guy that if he played until he was 38, he could have had 800 goals.

Era adjusted I think OV is still #1