[Article] Rick Tocchet's proactive roasting of the Canucks might be a coaching masterstroke

RWJC

44 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Just a heads up, we had a rule on CDC that we're looking to continue--instead of posting the entire article here on CFF, paste an excerpt for us and then link to the main article. That way we can support the writers through their sites' traffic, but still get a taste of what the article is about.

No prob, apologies wasn’t aware.
Any rules concerning X/IG posts as well or are those not a concern due to type of media platform?

Edited by RWJC

11 minutes ago, RWJC said:

No prob, apologies wasn’t aware.
Any rules concerning X/IG posts as well or are those not a concern due to type of media platform?

No problem, I figured it wasn't super obvious and we haven't been enforcing it, but I figure we may as well get it going now.

No issues with X/Twitter/IG as far as I'm aware.

• Cheers 1

Rick Tocchet is now having the same multitude of "WTF?" moments the last half-dozen Canucks' coaches have had.

I'm still pulling for Rickie Tickie Taffy to right the good ship Lollipop because he's the toughest coach we've had since AV.

RT is tough, and JR and PA seem to be stiffening the roster (although there is still a lot of work to do there).

I am desperate for a Canucks team that stands up for all that is good and glorious in the game, and beats the shit out of anybody who fucks with that.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 1

So much is being looked into the coaching staff this year and rightly so, we've had so many coaches and assistants come and go over the last few years. Tocc has said all the right things over the last 6 months, got them playing the right way etc but at the end of the day, Rick and the defensive coaches are all fairly inexperienced and don't have great track records.

I don't care about all the media talk, Rick is used to that and plays the Vancouver media very well, but the on-ice product and really our record is all that matters. He was a .500 coach with a bad Arizona team. He's got a pretty decent record with us so far.

We're still 2-1 to start the year but these next 5 games are so crucial for us. We can't start under .500 again at the 10 game mark.

Let's see if this talk fires everyone up or not but really our coaching to get the players ready hasn't been good enough for the last 2 games. Brilliant first game but we haven't looked good since then. 

We've got the pieces, Allvin has done well to make a competitive team, our injuries aren't that bad, but now it's all on coaching and in particular, getting the team fired up to play consistently. A bit of that falls on our leadership team too so all eyes on Quinn and Miller too.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

When your toughest players on the team are the coaches behind the bench, you know you have a problem.  This team is too soft.  Period.  End of conversation.  Tocchet is 100% correct.  They tried to address that in the summer, but there are still way too many soft players on the team.  Until those players are gone and replaced we are going to have this situation.

Beauvillier and Garland do not belong on a Rick Tocchet coached team.  They cannot play on the 3rd line.  I am hoping they are both gone soon.  Garland looks like he will be the first one to go.  I mean $9.1 million for these two guys is ridiculous...

Man I have been beating that drum all off-season.
Beau was one of the highest priority subtractions I thought we needed to make, in part because I rightfully didn’t think Garland’s contract was moveable. 

Garland has provided a little so far this season but Beau has shown nothing. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

6 hours ago, Jaimito said:

Starts at 9:00 Mark

Were Tocchet's comments too harsh? Really? Has this world become so emotionally fragile that a coach calling out his team is considered too harsh? Sorry but Tocchet was right on the money. The team needs to grow a set and soon. There are players like Demko, Miller and Boeser, who clearly want to bring a consistent effort, but there's a huge swath of players who shit the bed against Philly and they deserve every bit of this. Every bit. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 2

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Were Tocchet's comments too harsh? Really? Has this world become so emotionally fragile that a coach calling out his team is considered too harsh? Sorry but Tocchet was right on the money. The team needs to grow a set and soon. There are players like Demko, Miller and Boeser, who clearly want to bring a consistent effort, but there's a huge swath of players who shit the bed against Philly and they deserve every bit of this. Every bit. 

judging from the reaction to firing Boudreau, which was 100% warranted, I'd say yes. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

They don't call you Blunt for nothing Phil.

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Just a heads up, we had a rule on CDC that we're looking to continue--instead of posting the entire article here on CFF, paste an excerpt for us and then link to the main article. That way we can support the writers through their sites' traffic, but still get a taste of what the article is about.

Well, except for some stupid ones with a click-baity headline and the article turn out to be trash.  🚮 

3 minutes ago, Crimson JH said:

Well, except for some stupid ones with a click-baity headline and the article turn out to be trash.  🚮 

Indeed, hence why an excerpt is nice to help determine that. We also don't like just article links without an excerpt. The excerpt is the perfect happy medium.

8 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

When your toughest players on the team are the coaches behind the bench, you know you have a problem.  This team is too soft.  Period.  End of conversation.  Tocchet is 100% correct.  They tried to address that in the summer, but there are still way too many soft players on the team.  Until those players are gone and replaced we are going to have this situation.

Beauvillier and Garland do not belong on a Rick Tocchet coached team.  They cannot play on the 3rd line.  I am hoping they are both gone soon.  Garland looks like he will be the first one to go.  I mean $9.1 million for these two guys is ridiculous...

Well said. 

Tbh, I didn't consider Tocchet's comments to be harsh at all. I don't even think he let them have it. He was being honest and telling it like it is while all still pretty tame.

If people think this was controversial in any way ... that's a problem in itself. 

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 2

15 hours ago, moosehead said:

Canucks could very easily lost both the last 2 games.  Time for a wake-up call. 

Losing is one thing but lack of effort is not acceptable. 

It wasn't because of lack of effort. Lack of effort isn't the only determining factor in a game 

This is the Torts era all over again it seems.