[Report] Waivers Oct 19 - MacEwen, Simek, Harkins

Senators Place Zack MacEwen On Waivers

October 19th, 2023 at 1:08pm CST • By Josh Erickson

The Ottawa Senators are waiving forward Zack MacEwen today for the purpose of assignment to AHL Belleville, Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman reports.

This is certainly not the start MacEwen, 27, envisioned for himself in Canada’s capital after signing a three-year, league-minimum salary deal this summer. Offering long-term deals to enforcers nearly always results in a waiver placement over the life of the deal, but rarely does it come just two games into that player’s tenure with the team.

link: https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2023/10/senators-place-zack-macewen-on-waivers.html#ref=home

Sharks Place Radim Simek On Waivers, Assign Nikita Ohkotyuk On Conditioning Stint

October 19th, 2023 at 1:12pm CST • By Josh Erickson

The San Jose Sharks placed defenseman Radim Simek on waivers today for the purpose of assignment to the AHL’s San Jose Barracuda, per a team release. They also loaned defense prospect Nikita Okhotyuk to the Barracuda for a conditioning stint.

San Jose placed Simek on injured reserve to open the season with a lower-body injury, but he was cleared to return today. The waiver placement is surprising, to say the least – Simek is in the final season of a four-year, $9MM extension and has been one of the more valuable shutdown defenders analytically for a Sharks team that’s struggled to keep the puck out of the net in recent seasons. It seems the team is more intent on giving opportunities to younger shutdown prospects, namely 23-year-old waiver claim Ty Emberson, who’s expected to make his NHL debut tonight against the Bruins.

Link: https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2023/10/sharks-place-radim-simek-on-waivers-assign-nikita-ohkotyuk-on-conditioning-stint.html#ref=home

Penguins Place Jansen Harkins On Waivers

October 19th, 2023 at 1:06pm CST • By Josh Erickson

The Pittsburgh Penguins have placed forward Jansen Harkins on waivers for the purpose of assignment to AHL Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman reports.

This could end an extremely short stint in Pittsburgh for the 26-year-old. He began training camp as a member of the Winnipeg Jets, who waived him at the beginning of the month, and Pittsburgh snapped him up off waivers. Just over two weeks later, he finds himself on the wire again.

link: https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2023/10/penguins-place-jansen-harkins-on-waivers.html#ref=home

12 minutes ago, Rob Eh said:

Claim MacEwan, they need more grit and size on the 4th line.

Just because MacEwan can fight doesn't mean he makes the Canucks better. I'll take both Joshua and Studnicka over him and one of them is getting scratched as soon as Blueger is healthy.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

We don't need another depth guy, particularly one with a three year contract 

a 3 year contract at league minimum is exactly the ones we need to get. 

And MacEwan's penalties are usually worth the hit, because they are the tough penalties not the tugging on a jersey or the lazy hooking calls. They are "you hurt that fellow over there and now he is scared" penalties

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Tusk said:

a 3 year contract at league minimum is exactly the ones we need to get. 

And MacEwan's penalties are usually worth the hit, because they are the tough penalties not the tugging on a jersey or the lazy hooking calls. They are "you hurt that fellow over there and now he is scared" penalties

We already have fringe bottom six players within the organization, the Canucks biggest issue is instability on defense, not which guy fits onto the fourth line. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

If we trade Garland between now and when the waiver claim needs to be put in, yep I'd pick Mac up. 

I don't see what others do in Joshua, shows up when he feels like it. I'd rather have a legit deterrent on the roster. 

They can rotate in when one of them starts to fade.  Or we can just straight goon it up on the 4th with both of them and Lafferty. I'm sure other teams would love playing that line.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

not ones that are a deterrent. There can be more than one area of need. 

I'm less convinced that face punchers present as a deterrent in the modern NHL than others, I'm more interested in players who can do more fitting into our bottom six. Particularly as leagues move further and further away from fighting. 

There seems to be this mythology that it's still a massive factor now the way it may have been as late as the early 2010's, I don't buy it. I'm not arguing that size doesn't have it's place, I'm just not all that interested in players who primary contributions are viewed as being the ability to punch the helmets of other NHL players. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Vintage 1