[Article] Anthony Beauvillier needs a more prominent role with Canucks

RWJC

Anthony Beauvillier needs a more prominent role with Canucks

Jonathan Bailey

3 hours ago

The Vancouver Canucks’ hot start to the season has fizzled out over the last few days, and aside from defensive miscues, their lack of depth scoring has played a role in that. It’s time to get Anthony Beauvillier going again.

Beauvillier, acquired in the Bo Horvat trade from the New York Islanders, scored nine goals and 11 assists in 33 games with the Canucks last season. Over the course of an 82-game season, this pace would put him on track for a 50-point campaign, give or take.

Through five games of the 2023-24 season, Beauvillier is without a point, and has spent the bulk of his ice time with linemates Pius Suter and Dakota Joshua. This line has a 5-on-5 expected goals for percentage (xGF%) of just 37.59 percent and a below-average Corsi for percentage (CF%) of only 42 percent.

Without Joshua, Beauvillier and Suter drop to a 33.33 CF% and a 15.87 xGF%. Without Suter, Beauvillier and Joshua have a 40 CF% and a 0.00 xGF%, and Suter and Joshua together have a 18.18 CF% and a xGF% of 3.02.

Effectively, there is not one combination of these three players that is working, and they are about as threatening offensively as an old lady’s barking chihuahua.

Head coach Rick Tocchet seems to have recognized this, but Beauvillier instead finds himself demoted to the fourth line alongside Sam Lafferty and Nils Hoglander. However, this is still an upgrade for the 26-year-old.

What worked for the Canucks last season?

In 33 games last year, Beauvillier had most of his success on the Canucks’ top line alongside Andrei Kuzmenko and Elias Pettersson. Before the former Islander arrived in Vancouver, Kuzmenko and Pettersson had a CF% 52.35 and an xGF% of 56.85. After Beauvillier was implemented on that line, those numbers jumped up to 54.15 and 58.18, respectively…

link to rest of article:

https://thecanuckway.com/2023/10/23/beauvillier-needs-prominent-role-canucks/

14 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Just showcase Beau for a bit and move him out. So much salary tied up in players who are miscast/misfit with this club. 

I hope that after they're done showcasing Garland they do exactly that for Beau.  Give him line 1 time, have him go on a scoring tear and ship him out by the deadline to free up cap.  That way, with the asset acquired for trading him, we can put Mikheyev or whoever is the 3rd guy on line 1 while having freed up $4 million+ in cap.    

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

Na let his contract run out or move him if you can. We aren't in a position to be showcasing players. We need wins. Move any of Brock, Kuzz, Beau, Garland whichever gets the best return that least affects our winning. 

I’d argue we aren’t in a position to underutilize what we might have available in cap space that’s being wasted on incompatible players. 

Between Garland and Beau is 9.1 million in wasted cap!!! That’s an elite player on F or D. Not saying we have the assets to afford one, but 9.1mill provides a shit ton of options to a team looking to break into the playoffs. Thats the urgency here. We arent playing a game of attrition anymore. If we were, we wouldn’t have bought out OEL.

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, RWJC said:

I’d argue we aren’t in a position to underutilize what we might have available in cap space that’s being wasted on incompatible players. 

Between Garland and Beau is 9.1 million in wasted cap!!! That’s an elite player on F or D. Not saying we have the assets to afford one, but 9.1mill provides a shit ton of options to a team looking to break into the playoffs. Thats the urgency here. We arent playing a game of attrition anymore. If we were, we wouldn’t have bought out OEL.

Imagine a world where Benning doesn’t screw over our future by trading for OEL and Garland? 
worst trade in our history? If not, it’s pretty damned close, especially if one considers the cap world our club lives in now. BENNING! 🤢

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

Na let his contract run out or move him if you can. We aren't in a position to be showcasing players. We need wins. Move any of Brock, Kuzz, Beau, Garland whichever gets the best return that least affects our winning. 

ps - is there any chance you might go back to your CDC avatar at some point. It was one of the best. 

• Cheers 3

I wish everyone would review his junior tapes... or MP4s sorry for aging myself. I think if he was up with Miller and Brock he would get into it. I dont think he would ever gel with Petey or Kuz or Mik.... same with garlund. But there is a kind of roughness that Beauvillier would wake up with Miller and Boeser.

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

57 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Imagine a world where Benning doesn’t screw over our future by trading for OEL and Garland? 
worst trade in our history? If not, it’s pretty damned close, especially if one considers the cap world our club lives in now. BENNING! 🤢

To be fair..... We were all complaining about Eriksson for so long and that contract, OEL and Garlund gave a relief for a year or so.

55 minutes ago, RWJC said:

I agree. I feel the same on Brock Kuzz. Especially when you consider the return Kuzz may garner  and simply moving Brock + Garland + Beau into more favorable deployment. Cash in on Kuzz while we can. Why give away a quality player for free or worse pay. Can Brock score 30-35 in Kuzz spot? if you're answer is yes then the path is clear when you can trade one for a return and the other you can't. I like our PP's potential I like that garland gets us a ton of PP's he may not play on them but he's one of the best in the league at putting us up a man. 

• Cheers 2

When Beauvillier first arrived after the Horvat trade, he had a bump in play due to being freed up from the defensive system the Islanders played and because he was trying to impress his new team.  As time went on his production fell off.

This year, we find the Canucks playing a more defensively responsible system and Beau is playing mostly along side Suter on a defensive line.  While he has no points this season, he is also not giving up very much at +/- 0.  He seems to be settling in as a 13 minute player.

While he's holding down a spot on this version of the Canucks, players are very difficult to move due to cap constraints.  He's not really a liability but isn't the best fit on the team either.   I expect the best way to deal with his 4.125M cap hit is to just let him go to free agency at year end.  That way, they won't be forced to take back any cap

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RWJC said:

Just showcase Beau for a bit and move him out. So much salary tied up in players who are miscast/misfit with this club. 

2 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

I hope that after they're done showcasing Garland they do exactly that for Beau.  Give him line 1 time, have him go on a scoring tear and ship him out by the deadline to free up cap.  That way, with the asset acquired for trading him, we can put Mikheyev or whoever is the 3rd guy on line 1 while having freed up $4 million+ in cap.    

2 hours ago, Hammertime said:

Hammertime is correct.  I will expand on his point even further.

Conor Garland isn't being showcased anywhere.  He has a very unique skillset that's been underutilized here in Vancouver.  His playmaking ability is excellent.  If he gets bumped up to the second line, it's because he has what it takes to belong there.  On the other hand, Anthony Beauvillier has looked completely ineffective for over a full year now.  His struggles go back to his New York days.  If you really want to pump his trade value, you are doing so at the expense of wins.

Beauvilier is a pretty smart player with playmaking ability and more of a dangler then a grinder. He is more suited for a top 6 role but in this lineup he doesnt have a fit on that top 6. if theres a possibility he can change into a bottom 6 grinder there would be a different option for him. right now hes a bit out of place...which is a bit of a shame coz i like him.

Well, duh. Of course he had his best play when he was with Pettersson and Kuzmenko - who wouldn't? And Lafferty has done more than him on the 3rd so it's up to Beauvillier to get himself off the 4th line. From there, he's got a hard sell to push anyone out of the top six apart from Tocchet mixing up the lines mid-game, and that's only if he's the guy in the bottom six showing he might add a spark.

• Upvote 3

Frankly, if I'm blunt, he needs a new team. It was painfully obvious to me when he first started that he was getting pretty lucky and benefitted from linemates. That became even more obvious when he went cold as soon as he was taken off the top lines. Unless he's getting premier minutes, he's a fringe scorer, and I'd rather give that to a more well-rounded player.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Frankly, if I'm blunt, he needs a new team. It was painfully obvious to me when he first started that he was getting pretty lucky and benefitted from linemates. That became even more obvious when he went cold as soon as he was taken off the top lines. Unless he's getting premier minutes, he's a fringe scorer, and I'd rather give that to a more well-rounded player.

It became obvious to me when he was mic'd up for a game. It may have been more nuanced than I read it, but he was trying to guide Kuzmenko on something and Petey answered him back with a deadpan half-joke. 

Something about that typical Petey delivery felt like he'd had enough of him.

And then pretty quick he was demoted off that line.

6 hours ago, -AJ- said:

That's why Lou wanted him gone too. Seems like a nice guy but just not a regular top 6 on most teams.

7 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

Hammertime is correct.  I will expand on his point even further.

Conor Garland isn't being showcased anywhere.  He has a very unique skillset that's been underutilized here in Vancouver.  His playmaking ability is excellent.  If he gets bumped up to the second line, it's because he has what it takes to belong there.  On the other hand, Anthony Beauvillier has looked completely ineffective for over a full year now.  His struggles go back to his New York days.  If you really want to pump his trade value, you are doing so at the expense of wins.

garland is not an excellent playmaker by any stretch.. he think of himself as one though and takes the puck and holds on to it way too long spinning his way along the board until he's easily pushed down and loses the puck.. he's been what's killing EP/kuz line.. and most of EP's 5v5 points.. is when he's not playing with garland. beauvillier was producing when he was with EP but i guess he got lazy defensively or something and tocchet took him off and he started to not produce again and tocchet never gave him a sniff on EP's line ever again not even in the preseason. now that mikehyev is back there's almost 0 chance he'll get to play there unless an injury. he's just gonna rot away 4.1mil cap space. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1