[Suspension] Shane Pinto suspended 41 games related to sports wagering

Shane Pinto Suspended 41 Games For Violating NHL’s Sports Wagering Rules

October 26th, 2023 at 10:12am CST • By Josh Erickson

According to reports from TSN’s Darren Dreger and Pierre LeBrun, Ottawa Senators restricted free agent center Shane Pinto is set to be suspended by the NHL “for activities related to sports wagering.” The suspension could be up to 41 games in length, reports Postmedia’s Bruce Garrioch. Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman later confirmed the 41-game penalty.

The clock on a suspension cannot start until Pinto is under contract and on the active roster. Garrioch adds that because of the looming suspension, the Senators have ended contract negotiations and “rescinded all previous offers.” That means Pinto will have to sign his qualifying offer – a one-year, $874,125 deal – to begin serving the suspension.

Friedman reports the league has not accused Pinto of wagering on NHL games but that a March 2022 memo from the league states that NHL commissioner Gary Bettman is authorized to:

“Discipline individuals determined to have engaged in improper gambling activities in any or all of the following respects: expulsion or suspension [for] a definite or indefinite period; cancelling any contract that such individual may have; and/or by imposing a fine. The League will act swiftly and aggressively in penalizing any League or Club personnel determined to have engaged in acts in violation of the NHL Gambling Policy.”

An investigation into Pinto’s behavior began over the summer but did not intensify until the past few weeks when a hearing was held with the league, Friedman says. He also believes that Pinto has not asked for a trade despite the ongoing contract negotiations because “he appreciates the organization’s secrecy about the investigation.”

Link to rest of article:

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2023/10/shane-pinto-to-be-suspended-for-violating-nhls-sports-wagering-rules.html#ref=home

3 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Well...that's a wrinkle in contract negotiations, eh?

According to the article, the Senators have rescinded their previous offers to Pinto. So yes.

Situations like this affect the integrity of the sport; I've never seen a suspension this long (except maybe Bertuzzi?) but am in full support of it.

• Cheers 1

Just now, 112 said:

According to the article, the Senators have rescinded their previous offers to Pinto. So yes.

Situations like this affect the integrity of the sport; I've never seen a suspension this long (except maybe Bertuzzi?) but am in full support of it.

I think McSorley had a similar one after his assault on Brashear if I recall, but yeah, 41 games seems to be about the maximum.

• Cheers 2

This is kind of like if in the 80s the NHL suspended Grant Fuhr after putting patches advocating (responsible) cocaine use on the jersey of every single team.

Know your limit, snort within it.  Hey see we really care...

Edited by Kevin Biestra
Because it's my hot body and I'll do what I want.

This does kinda reek of corruption. Obviously, there are rules around using insider knowledge and impact and betting, but it's hard not to see some sort of connection between the absurd amount of gambling ads and a very hard-hitting suspension related to this. Money talks.

• Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, Gurn said:

If he wasn't betting on his own team games, the league is going to look stupid; again.

NHL puts a team in the gambling capitol of North America.

NHL and teams allow a massive amount of gambling website adds-think one team even has a gambling site, uniform add.

NHL and it's broadcast partners not just allow adds, but do in game commentator promo's and adds.

Well, nobody ever accused the league of hypocrisy, amirite?  :hurhur:

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

So uh.....buy this guy on the cheap for an infusion mid season down the middle?  He's gonna be a poster boy for being persona non grata by the league and he either gets

• run out by the league
  • forced in to a reclamation story for  darling team in need like Boston or Chicago for nothing
  • ends up in a place the league doesn't care about like Arizona or Vancouver

Pinto has all the makings of a credible player and the league is absolutely up their own arse on this one without proof his gambling was actual gamesmanship in his own games.  So how much does this boy cost?

1 hour ago, 112 said:

Raffi Torres got a 41 game suspension...

Although the suspension was only 41 games it actually ended his career (much like Mcsorley.

Just now, HorvatToBaertschi said:

League shoves betting down our throats. League dishes out the biggest suspension in history because a player gambles. What the f**k.... 

Also, how is this any different than the Kane situation? 

Someone enlighten me because I'm confused.

Purely from memory: the Kane situation was a bitter ex tossing out accusations of criminal conduct she couldn't prove in divorce court, while it seems by nature of the apology, Pinto knows he did something contrary to the terms of his contract. The NHL bans all players and team associates like coaches from gambling on NHL games, but I can't find anything about sports wagering in general. Perhaps a scheme where he bet on some NBA guys games while the other guy bet on nhl games, in essence a scheme to work around the two leagues bans? I totally am just spitballing an idea for an example of how this might have gone down. I don't believe the league would step on its own tail over it without something to have been not kosher on the actions of Pinto. 

• Cheers 1