Advice please: I am taking my 13 year old son to his first Canucks game...

Advice please: I am taking my 13 year old son to his first Canucks (vs Stars) game on Saturday. He is just really, really getting into hockey this past year or two. He would absolutely love to get Hughes' autograph. Is that even a legit possibility these days?

How might one go about making that happen?

Thanks in advance!

(Side Note: I am familiar with the downtown Vancouver area, but we are from our of town.)

Edited by Drive-By Body Pierce
  • Like 4

You could go down at warm up and try with a sign asking for an autograph… or you could go really early or stay late and go to where the players drive into the arena around back and have a sign ready to go asking for an autograph. 
I feel your best bet would be going to the gate where the vehicles come and go. Might be a little more inclined to give a moment of time

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

You could go down at warm up and try with a sign asking for an autograph… or you could go really early or stay late and go to where the players drive into the arena around back and have a sign ready to go asking for an autograph. 
I feel your best bet would be going to the gate where the vehicles come and go. Might be a little more inclined to give a moment of time

Thank you!

Are you able to describe where the players enter/exit?

...and would you suggest two hours early? maybe three?

1 minute ago, Drive-By Body Pierce said:

Thank you!

Are you able to describe where the players enter/exit?

If you walk along the lower level, around the arena, you’ll see a ramp going down to some big doors. Thats where they all come and go and there very well may be other fans waiting.

my buddy got a selfie with Hughes a few weeks ago after the game as he was driving out. 
Back when I went to see the UFC, Matt Hughes went on the bus, dropped his jacket off and then walked alllllll the way up to street level beside my bro, my buddy and myself and we were in shock. We were like “y-y-you’re Matt Hughes” and he laughed and said so? He happily took a picture with us and briefly chatted. 
Its been ages since I went over to the gate, I’d strongly recommend your chances there for an autograph 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

If you walk along the lower level, around the arena, you’ll see a ramp going down to some big doors. Thats where they all come and go and there very well may be other fans waiting.

my buddy got a selfie with Hughes a few weeks ago after the game as he was driving out. 
Back when I went to see the UFC, Matt Hughes went on the bus, dropped his jacket off and then walked alllllll the way up to street level beside my bro, my buddy and myself and we were in shock. We were like “y-y-you’re Matt Hughes” and he laughed and said so? He happily took a picture with us and briefly chatted. 
Its been ages since I went over to the gate, I’d strongly recommend your chances there for an autograph 

I appreciate the info!

And, cool story!

The Majority of these players today want hundreds of dollars in private autograph signings set up by AJ Sports ect..
These athletes aren't signing for free today.. Unless you're a really young child 10 or under or a teenage girl OR have some kind of disability you stand next to a ZERO chance at getting Free auto's today.
Its a MILLION dollar industry!

Edited by Don Brodka Jr

38 minutes ago, John.Tallhouse said:

Might be better idea heading to the hotel they’re staying at and wait for them to get on the bus ? Might need some insider info but can’t be too hard to find. Dm Dan Murphy 😅

Seems a bit weird to follow them there IMO. I'd just hope you get one at the game but recognize the low chances of it happening and, as @BCNeil said, wait for a signing event.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, John.Tallhouse said:

Might be better idea heading to the hotel they’re staying at and wait for them to get on the bus ? Might need some insider info but can’t be too hard to find. Dm Dan Murphy 😅

I doubt the Canucks will be staying at a hotel. But that's a good idea for road games!

2 hours ago, BCNeil said:

It's pretty hard to get autographs at the game.

Wait till Quinn has an autograph event somewhere in the city.  

I imagine North Shore Audi has him do them there.

That would be awesome, but we live in the interior. And, my son splits his time between West Kelowna and Logan Lake.

Maybe make a sign and you might get a stick?   Either way, wouldn't focus too much on the autograph, just take him down to the glass during the warm-ups and let him soak it all in.    Parents sometimes project what they think their kids might want a bit more than they need too (we absolutely all do it).   First games are special, so get the desire to make it even more memorable.   Standing around for 1-2 hours doesn't sound like a lot of fun, especially if it's empty handed....make it early enough so your kid can see them skate out for the warm-up in a good spot and make your case .. with a sign.   A stick is cooler anyways.   Also lower bowl is important (tickets), they used to let anyone down for the warmups, not sure what they do there now.    Something to look into.   MTL and OTT can be sticky on this.     Also bring your own sharpie - throw it over the glass so they can sign the stick (once he agrees of course lol)  make a good sign that gets their attention, make it funny.   Good luck too.   Hope it's an awesome experience for you both!   Hope to hear it all worked out, some good ideas floated already too.    

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Drive-By Body Pierce said:

That would be awesome, but we live in the interior. And, my son splits his time between West Kelowna and Logan Lake.

Can you leave time in your traveling to get to the rink before they practice?

I haven't been there for years, but somebody here on CFF would know if you could hang around and chat somebody up, you know maybe find a good spot.

You may also have to take what you can get rather than have a set player in mind.

Another angle is to find out where they usually hang out on game days both before and after the games.

If you're respectful, you may find them approachable, but its touchy and they deserve their privacy.

If you are going to try the restaurant angle, get there well before you expect the players, and establish rapport with staff, place your orders, etc.

And don't jump up right away when they come in; you can notice them, but let them get seated and start enjoying themselves.

The longer you can wait the better.  Don't do it if you're not sure you can be tactful.

(Course it won't work in bars with a 13 year old.)

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Maybe make a sign and you might get a stick?   Either way, wouldn't focus too much on the autograph, just take him down to the glass during the warm-ups and let him soak it all in.    Parents sometimes project what they think their kids might want a bit more than they need too (we absolutely all do it).   First games are special, so get the desire to make it even more memorable.   Standing around for 1-2 hours doesn't sound like a lot of fun, especially if it's empty handed....make it early enough so your kid can see them skate out for the warm-up in a good spot and make your case .. with a sign.   A stick is cooler anyways.   Also lower bowl is important (tickets), they used to let anyone down for the warmups, not sure what they do there now.    Something to look into.   MTL and OTT can be sticky on this.     Also bring your own sharpie - throw it over the glass so they can sign the stick (once he agrees of course lol)  make a good sign that gets their attention, make it funny.   Good luck too.   Hope it's an awesome experience for you both!   Hope to hear it all worked out, some good ideas floated already too.    

Thanks for the tips!

He has been to quite a few WHL games, and a couple from the Young Stars tournaments, so he does have an idea of what to expect. I think he is willing to put in the time waiting for the potential chance, even if coming up empty.

He wants to go early, be at warm ups if possible, and is willing to wait after if nothing has come from the first two. And, I am leaving it entirely up to him. We really have nothing else planned and are staying in easy walking distance.

26 minutes ago, Goal_thecup said:

Can you leave time in your traveling to get to the rink before they practice?

I haven't been there for years, but somebody here on CFF would know if you could hang around and chat somebody up, you know maybe find a good spot.

You may also have to take what you can get rather than have a set player in mind.

Another angle is to find out where they usually hang out on game days both before and after the games.

If you're respectful, you may find them approachable, but its touchy and they deserve their privacy.

If you are going to try the restaurant angle, get there well before you expect the players, and establish rapport with staff, place your orders, etc.

And don't jump up right away when they come in; you can notice them, but let them get seated and start enjoying themselves.

The longer you can wait the better.  Don't do it if you're not sure you can be tactful.

(Course it won't work in bars with a 13 year old.)

Thank you! I appreciate it!

When and where would practice be? We are leaving West Kelowna in the morning on Saturday and have a hotel for the night.

• Cheers 2

23 hours ago, Don Brodka Jr said:

The Majority of these players today want hundreds of dollars in private autograph signings set up by AJ Sports ect..
These athletes aren't signing for free today.. Unless you're a really young child 10 or under or a teenage girl OR have some kind of disability you stand next to a ZERO chance at getting Free auto's today.
Its a MILLION dollar industry!

Oh give me a break you see guys signing stuff non-stop at practices and such and they're not charging. Sometimes sure.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 1

Have fun everyone! If you get there early you can go right down to the glass and if you're near the bench, maybe. A sign may work but it's more likely to get a puck (which is awesome for kids too).

My friend took his daughter to her first game last year...her favourite player was Quinn and she had a small sign. She ended up getting a signed stick from him and was on the big screen. It was a huge moment for her (so cute, she got super emotional).

You can try the driveway on the way in/out too...many people wait there. 

Best of luck!!

• Like 1

On 11/3/2023 at 9:52 AM, JoGuitar said:

We’re taking our 6-year-old son to his first game against Dallas on Saturday as well! Also in from Kelowna. Enjoy the game and hope you get that autograph.

As a very long time STH holder I got to know the routine at GM Place pretty well and the best way is to go around to Gate 16 (On Pat Quinn Way) right after the game.  It's the entrance for VIP's, Handicap folks and other special guest.    There is a receptionist and a couple of security guard by the East elevator and if you absolutely plead & beg they might let you walk straight ahead where the player tunnel is where there is a roped off area parrallel to the exit hallway where ALL the players come out of the drssing room and sign "some" autographs.  It's extremely hard to get in but if you say your from out of town, swam across the 7 seas, fought sharks off (and hate Edmonton) to get there and you're with a kid and they put on a puppy face they might have sympathy and let you in.  They usually have about 30-40 people allowed down there mostly VIP's and Level 200 Booth guest only but they do let in the odd couple of folks.