[Article] Canucks: 'People should welcome and celebrate him,' says Quinn Hughes on Bo Horvat

RWJC

Canucks: 'People should welcome and celebrate him,' says Quinn Hughes on Bo Horvat

The numbers never added up for Bo Horvat.

The former Vancouver Canucks captain put up impressive stats on the ice, and the fans who lauded his contributions here were considerable. However, all that didn’t add up to a number that mattered most for satisfaction and security — a contract extension.

We all know the story.

J.T. Miller got the money and Horvat became a trade chip in a blockbuster Jan. 30 swap with the New York Islanders to address a number of concerns. It also ignited red-hot debate about what was actually going on in the room and how it may have transcended to the ice.

Especially after an elated Horvat addressed the Islanders’ home crowd following an April victory with a summation that was about frustration with Canucks management and not the fans.

“It’s been unbelievable,” he said. “It’s a lot better than Vancouver, I’ll tell you that.”

So, how should Horvat be greeted Wednesday at Rogers Arena?

“Oh, God. I’m not going to dip my toe into that basket,” Miller said Tuesday following a short practice at UBC. “Obviously, there were a lot of rumours and stuff. He was a great teammate and a really great friend and a really good person.

“No matter what happens with the response in the rink (Wednesday), we all know what kind of guy he was in the room. Dealing with you guys (media) is a big part of the market here and a lot of influence outside the rink.

“Every single day, no matter what, he was very even-keeled talking to the media and teammates. You can’t really say much more about a guy. It will be good to see him out there and we expect him to be flying.”

Horvat got career security with a mammoth eight-year, $68-million US commitment from the Islanders, but his original commitment to the Canucks was never questioned. He was purposely groomed by Henrik and Daniel Sedin to be as good off the ice as he was on it. 

A respectful small-town kid with big-city dreams, he led by example, but maybe that wasn’t good enough for some.

Horvat answered his critics with 31 goals and 54 points in just 49 games last season before being dealt. He ranks 10th in franchise scoring with 420 points (201-219) in 518 games, and was good in the faceoff circle and special teams.

Horvat never commanded the spotlight, but it always found him. Especially when he had to accentuate the positive for a team that was off the rails after an 0-5-2 start last fall.

It’s why captain Quinn Hughes has admiration for how Horvat dealt with it all. It’s easy to talk after a win, but much harder after a string of setbacks. How should that be saluted by fans?

“I think the reaction should be really good,” said Hughes. “People should welcome him and celebrate him. He put in nine really good years here. He was really solid and never complained. A leader who just put in his work and a guy you could go to, if you needed to talk to someone.

“It wasn’t always the easiest years, and he would always step right in front of it (demands). It’s easy when you’re 11-3-1.”

The Canucks rationalized the Horvat trade with the need for salary cap space to bolster the back end. They had to land a potential top-six forward, a prospect centre and add roster stiffness. And they still had to crunch daunting numbers in hopes of extending the contract of NHL leading scorer Elias Pettersson.

In the Horvat swap, they acquired winger Anthony Beauviller, prospect centre Aatu Raty, and turning a first-round pick into a package for defenceman Filip Hronek. They have gone from playoff pretenders to contenders.

The Canucks are better now. But there was thought a year ago that a mechanism to retain Horvat, even after Miller got his seven-year, $56-million extension, was not far-fetched.

A well-connected NHL industry insider provided the numbers and moves.

He reasoned a Horvat leap from $5.5 million to market value of $8 million wasn’t daunting, if there was a willingness for other moves. Miller’s extension required an additional $2.75 million to the cap. By adding $2.5 million for a Horvat extension, and give pending unrestricted free agent Andrei Kuzmenko a $2-million bump, it added up to $7.25 million.

The Canucks got $2.4 million back in dead money from Braden Holtby and Jake Virtanen, and the salary cap ceiling was expected to increase by at least $1 million next season. The bottom line is the club had to find $3.74 million to retain Horvat and address other roster priorities.

At the time, the insider believed Conor Garland or Ilya Mikheyev could easily be moved, which doesn’t fly now with the way Mikheyev has recovered from February knee surgery with six goals in 11 games.

Another option was to get creative with Brock Boeser, Tyler Myers and Tanner Pearson to clear cap space and acquire draft picks. The Canucks did move Pearson for back-up goalie Casey DeSmith, and their patience with Boeser has resulted in the winger icing a complete game and a dozen goals through 15 games, second best in the NHL.

bkuzma@postmedia.com

https://apple.news/Av1ms9EbgQla7YReW5UQ9UQ

• Like 1

Bo spent 8 seasons of his career on a rather dreadful team.  After the team signed Miller, it was

obvious that he was their guy.  So Bo moved on...big deal.  The return for Bo was very good for

the Canucks, so I don't see any reason to resent him.  He plays for another team now; so I wish

him the best, but will never cheer for him when playing against the Canucks.

• Cheers 3

Always liked Bo and would never boo him cause that would be classless. 

I'll say it cause somebody is going to say it eventually. 

Bo was a mediocre captain at best. The team had not push back or

even an ounce of grit to be used correctly. In his defence, that has

alot to do with coaching to. Leadership was there but lacking something

for sure.

So if i could sum it up in one word > "meh"

7 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

How much money do you spend on tickets in a year? Let fans be fans it’s their choice!

Totally agree, but if you’re a player on this roster right now knowing full well the commitment shown to the org, the fans, the city and the charities that Bo showed, and the home crowd boos the shit out of him, as a Canuck player  it’s a clear sign how fickle the fan base is and how much class some of it lacks. I think we could be better than that. Boo a guy like Messier, not a guy who gave his whole career thus far to try and entertain us and help us win.

Edited by RWJC
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

9 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

How much money do you spend on tickets in a year? Let fans be fans it’s their choice!

but to your point and on the flip side:

Bo Horvat's former Canucks teammate encourages fans to boo him: 'Shove it in his face'

Horvat returns to Vancouver to face his former team for the first time on Wednesday.

A former teammate of Bo Horvat hopes Vancouver Canucks fans give him a hard time in his return to Vancouver on Thursday night.

Jannik Hansen, Horvat’s teammate with the Canucks from 2014-15 to 2016-17, spoke in solidarity with Canucks faithful during a hit on The People’s Show on Sportsnet 650 Tuesday evening.

“I hope they give him the best of both worlds. You boo him when they touch the puck and you make the building phenomenally loud when things go your way. And then you can kind of shove it in his face, right back at him, if you will,” Hansen said.

Horvat, 28, spent the first nine years of his career with Vancouver before being traded to the New York Islanders ahead of last year's trade deadline.

While Horvat, the team's captain before his departure, was beloved during his time with the organization, he irked Canucks fans with a post-game quip he had after a win with the Islandersin April.

“It’s a lot better than Vancouver, I’ll tell you that for free,” Horvat said.

Hansen had some strong feelings about those comments.

“It was a slap in the face to Vancouver faithful, that’s for sure,” Hansen said.

Horvat, who walked back the comments a few days after initially making them, made it clear in an interview with Newsday that his remarks were not directed at Vancouver fans.

“I was just more upset how everything went down last year.”

Canucks captain Quinn Hughestold reporters after practice Tuesday that he believes Horvat should be celebrated.

“He put in nine really good years here and was really solid and never complained,” Hughes said. “He was a great leader. He put in his work and was someone that everyone could go to if they needed to talk to someone. It wasn’t always easy, but he always stepped right in front of it.”

https://apple.news/A_ZeG78bqRgu8qTmEOSgvIg

7 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Bo Horvat's former Canucks teammate encourages fans to boo him: 'Shove it in his face'

Horvat returns to Vancouver to face his former team for the first time on Wednesday.

A former teammate of Bo Horvat hopes Vancouver Canucks fans give him a hard time in his return to Vancouver on Thursday night.

Jannik Hansen, Horvat’s teammate with the Canucks from 2014-15 to 2016-17, spoke in solidarity with Canucks faithful during a hit on The People’s Show on Sportsnet 650 Tuesday evening.

“I hope they give him the best of both worlds. You boo him when they touch the puck and you make the building phenomenally loud when things go your way. And then you can kind of shove it in his face, right back at him, if you will,” Hansen said.

Horvat, 28, spent the first nine years of his career with Vancouver before being traded to the New York Islanders ahead of last year's trade deadline.

While Horvat, the team's captain before his departure, was beloved during his time with the organization, he irked Canucks fans with a post-game quip he had after a win with the Islandersin April.

“It was a slap in the face to Vancouver faithful, that’s for sure,” Hansen said.

Horvat, who walked back the comments a few days after initially making them, made it clear in an interview with Newsday that his remarks were not directed at Vancouver fans.

Canucks captain Quinn Hughestold reporters after practice Tuesday that he believes Horvat should be celebrated.

“He put in nine really good years here and was really solid and never complained,” Hughes said. “He was a great leader. He put in his work and was someone that everyone could go to if they needed to talk to someone. It wasn’t always easy, but he always stepped right in front of it.”

I remember feeling badly for Bo when the management offered him RNH's $.  What a slap in the face.

Yeah, I think he was bitter when he left.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

I understand the polarization here.  

Look, he was made captain because there was no one else.  He was the first of the next era of canucks. 

Regardless, we as fans knew he would make a good captain... Maybe even a great one.  He was packaged by the PR department as such.... 'natural born leader'.  

Right from the get go, he knew he had very big shoes to fill.  Hard to follow after Hendrick and the that powerhouse era.

The team sucked... The retool was a mess early.  He had to deal with a ton of toxic media and angry fans.  I think all things considered, as a spokesman for the team, he handled almost everything with class and maturity.

On the ice... Beyond the bubble playoffs... Bo for me was vanilla.  He didn't show near enough emotion as a leader.  Turned the other cheek to much... Great at faceoffs and skilled for sure but turned out to be an average leader in the history of canuck captains.

All that being said... Pro's outweigh the cons.  Should be celebrated more than heckled.  But I understand both.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Hogs and Podz said:

Look, he was made captain because there was no one else.  He was the first of the next era of canucks. 

Regardless, we as fans knew he would make a good captain... Maybe even a great one.  He was packaged by the PR department as such.... 'natural born leader'.  

Right from the get go, he knew he had very big shoes to fill.  Hard to follow after Hendrick and the that powerhouse era.

The team sucked... The retool was a mess early.  He had to deal with a ton of toxic media and angry fans.  I think all things considered, as a spokesman for the team, he handled almost everything with class and maturity.

On the ice... Beyond the bubble playoffs... Bo for me was vanilla.  He didn't show near enough emotion as a leader.  Turned the other cheek to much... Great at faceoffs and skilled for sure but turned out to be an average leader in the history of canuck captains.

All that being said... Pro's outweigh the cons.  Should be celebrated more than heckled.  But I understand both.

honestly, this is the lasting memory I have of Bo in his last season with us. saw a 6'4 sergachev cold cocked 5'6 Garland and his instant response was to look at the ref.. not even an attempt to shove back the sucker puncher. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hogs and Podz said:

JT Miller was more of a captain than Bo ever was. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 2

1 hour ago, RWJC said:

I liked Hansen more than Bo. 

• Haha 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, 5forFighting said:

JT Miller was more of a captain than Bo ever was. 

Miller has the same temperament as Kesler... Remember that argument.  Who should be the new Captain after Luongo... Kesler or Henrik?  I think the right choice was made in that case.... Kesler was to volatile.  So is Miller. 

Doesn't mean they're not good leaders just not for captain.  Like Henrik, Horvat showed his metal if you will, through beating their opponent on the score clock.  Turn the other cheek... The difference is, Henrik had a much better support network filled with quality leadership, Kesler being one of them.  I still think Henrik was the right choice with the leaders they had to choose from.  

But... Though Henrik made a good captain, he still wasn't great.  Great was Linden, great was Smyl.  

I believe though he's a little different then Linden and Smyl.  I think Hughes has the potential of being a great Captain.  He also has a great support network in Demko, Petey, and Miller.  Time will tell, good start anyway.

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I think booing Horvat just shows how overly sensitive some Canucks fans are. So the guy made a misguided statement regarding Vancouver.

Why does anyone cling on to that and let it embitter them so much? You’d think fans would have thicker skin than that. 

You'd think Phil but dirty laundry sells right?! Always be someone around to buy it... 

28 minutes ago, Hogs and Podz said:

Miller has the same temperament as Kesler... Remember that argument.  Who should be the new Captain after Luongo... Kesler or Henrik?  I think the right choice was made in that case.... Kesler was to volatile.  So is Miller. 

Doesn't mean they're not good leaders just not for captain.  Like Henrik, Horvat showed his metal if you will, through beating their opponent on the score clock.  Turn the other cheek... The difference is, Henrik had a much better support network filled with quality leadership, Kesler being one of them.  I still think Henrik was the right choice with the leaders they had to choose from.  

But... Though Henrik made a good captain, he still wasn't great.  Great was Linden, great was Smyl.  

I believe though he's a little different then Linden and Smyl.  I think Hughes has the potential of being a great Captain.  He also has a great support network in Demko, Petey, and Miller.  Time will tell, good start anyway.

A good captain you can see a mile away, ALWAYS leads by example, holds self accountable first, then every else.

• Cheers 1