[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Calgary Flames // November 16, 2023

Rubik

1 hour ago, Vancan said:

I like the way the Kings won there cups. Let the other teams kick the crap out of each other for home ice, and stuff. Come in around 7th well rested and turn it on, surprise the hell out of them.

Looking at things from a non-Kings fan the less cup wins like the Kings the better. Unless we want to see 2-1, 1-0, 3-1 wins (I am exaggerating of course but seem, as I recall, Kings won a lot of boring games in their cup run)

I know the boys were tired and this was a rough scheduling period, but these are very bad teams we're playing. Seattle and SJS up next and we're going to be exhausted but they're both dreadful teams.

I think our record is better than it should be and mainly because of our star players blowing out bad teams. We have played pretty badly in periods here and there and of course with the travel, Calgary bomb us tonight. I never expected us to win both these back to backs but it's interesting that it highlights some areas we need to work on.

Soucy out for 2 months and having 2 AHLers on defence is going to wreck this team. Hronek and Hughes got eaten alive and are going to be playing closer to 30 minutes the longer this goes on. I said it before the start of the season - management did well to get Cole and Soucy, but we're starting the season with one AHLer and one injury away from a mess, one major injury away from disaster. If one of Hughes, Hronek or Cole were to get injured (which is very possible), we're in big trouble. With Calgary selling their players and mainly their defencemen, hopefully management act sooner rather than later because this extra grind will wear down our top defencemen and it's still so early in the season.

Our offence is fine, our depth guys do come through with scoring here and their, our PP is fine, our goaltending is still elite but our defence could use some help and I do worry a bit about our PK slowly dropping down the standings.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, JayDangles said:

Well... last night I would say refs were definitely working for us. Powerplays were 6-2 and we scored 3 on the PP. So try and keep it in perspective.

From my recollection in that game, by the end things were pretty even in terms of what wasn't called on the infractions that happened. I think only 1 game this year I really noticed where we seemed to get the more favourable reffing than our opposition. I think it was the game against Dallas but I can't recall specifically. Every other game we've either been hosed, it's been basically even (like last game) or the other team just had a lesser advantage from the refs

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, TNucks1 said:

That Garland one sucked but got hit in the mouth after he got checked and on the ice and the play was still going down the other way, probably weren't looking

Garland got hit in the face after that play when he was in his own zone away from the puck. Some calgary player got their hands up and hit him with the butt end of their stick or something. It wasn't when he was down on the ice.

2 hours ago, JamesB said:

1. Disappointing to a get the loss but, realistically, after a high-energy, high-emotion OT win the night before, getting on a plane for Calgary the next day for the back end of a back-to-back is always going to be tough.  And the injuries are mounting up. Playing without Soucy, Kuzy, and Suter is a significant loss.

2. The biggest problem is losing Soucy. Friedman was a good pickup to be 7th man but playing every night is too much. And, while Juulsen can play on an emergency basis, he is just not that good and got buried in the advanced stats again tonight despite relatively protected minutes. I would let Hirose or Wolanin play. It has surprised me how the team has stuck with Juulsen. Maybe after tonight one of the other guys will get a shot, especially as the Canucks are overbalanced on the right side at present.

3. Karlsson was ok. He does not move the dial but he held his own. And the Karlsson/Hogs/Lafferty line was actually pretty good. Nice to see Hogs have another pretty good game and pick up another goal.

4. Moving Garland up the the 1st line was not a successful experiment. Petey and Garland have never had great chemistry. Garland was playing really well with Suter and Joshua. Hope those guys can play together again soon.

5. Petey and Hughes are getting worn down. Despite the early goal (Petey from Miller and Hughes), Petey and Hughes had ugly stat lines.

6. Hope the team gets some rest and comes back strong on Saturday. Really hope the Suter/Garland/Joshua line is reunited. And I think the team needs a better solution to cover for Soucy's injury than the approach they took tonight. And if Kuzy could play that would be big boost.

Bang on.

Honestly I'm surprised with our call-ups, why haven't we picked Abby's best players? Wolanin has basically lead the AHL in defenceman scoring for a year and a half and rots down there. I know Juulsen and Friedman bring more toughness but there's something to be said for his skating and puck moving ability. Bains pretty much leads the league in scoring yet we bring up Karlsson? I know we want more of a 3rd line grinder but that level of skill could be used with Kuz injured.

Our depth is really getting tested and we've barely got any major injuries. Just one top-6 forward and one bottom pairing defenceman injured. Touch wood our stars are all fine but one major injury and we're in trouble.

We've been a team with great stars and minimal depth for a while. The Bo and then Hronek trades really moved our star power around to benefit our defence of course but you see top teams like Boston make trades now to solidify their depth to the point where they have top-4 defencemen playing on their bottom pairing and it really helps in times of injuries.

Sounds crazy but now would be an interesting time to either start buying (eg sell prospects for top young players who can help pad our depth) or we could go the slower route and slowly build that depth from within but sacrifice a chance to win a Cup immediately while our star players are top of the league. It's tempting to just trade away 1sts and prospects because you rarely see 3-4 players leading the entire league in scoring from the same team, but the smarter move would just be to hold fire and wait it out, with the risk that we stay good but never great for a while. There's an argument either way. I think Allvin is usually quite conservative but if our success continues, I think he'll make one buyer move before the trade deadline.

• Cheers 3

44 minutes ago, Psycho_Path said:

Garland got hit in the face after that play when he was in his own zone away from the puck. Some calgary player got their hands up and hit him with the butt end of their stick or something. It wasn't when he was down on the ice.

Ah my bad must of seen a different play 

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Bang on.

Honestly I'm surprised with our call-ups, why haven't we picked Abby's best players? Wolanin has basically lead the AHL in defenceman scoring for a year and a half and rots down there. I know Juulsen and Friedman bring more toughness but there's something to be said for his skating and puck moving ability. Bains pretty much leads the league in scoring yet we bring up Karlsson? I know we want more of a 3rd line grinder but that level of skill could be used with Kuz injured.

Our depth is really getting tested and we've barely got any major injuries. Just one top-6 forward and one bottom pairing defenceman injured. Touch wood our stars are all fine but one major injury and we're in trouble.

We've been a team with great stars and minimal depth for a while. The Bo and then Hronek trades really moved our star power around to benefit our defence of course but you see top teams like Boston make trades now to solidify their depth to the point where they have top-4 defencemen playing on their bottom pairing and it really helps in times of injuries.

Sounds crazy but now would be an interesting time to either start buying (eg sell prospects for top young players who can help pad our depth) or we could go the slower route and slowly build that depth from within but sacrifice a chance to win a Cup immediately while our star players are top of the league. It's tempting to just trade away 1sts and prospects because you rarely see 3-4 players leading the entire league in scoring from the same team, but the smarter move would just be to hold fire and wait it out, with the risk that we stay good but never great for a while. There's an argument either way. I think Allvin is usually quite conservative but if our success continues, I think he'll make one buyer move before the trade deadline.

Allvin im sure is working the phones hard to see what he can do to pry out a player who won't be a rental, but have some cost control for a couple seasons anyways.     Definitely see our first or a solid prospect and a future second at play, maybe all 3.    Thing is it's still early.   Some teams are probably already thinking about blowing things up, but waiting to closer to the deadline for sure.   

A player for player trade is also possible.    As for the call ups, Wolannin for sure could get a shot, not sure about Hirose.   Actually felt of the group, Brisbois played the best last Spring after the Schenn trade.    When we were playing with QHs and Myers only.   Yes our schedule was easier, but it did show our Abby guys were rather seemless.  Also felt the Irwin signing meant he'd get maybe 40 or so games this year ... 

It's not ideal, we are still missing a legit top four guy (Friedman isn't that).   Hopefully one of these guys will come up and play well for us.    Don't know about the rest of the CFF, but I for one don't look at this as a bad thing, playoffs for sure is a war of attrition, and finding out what we need or don't need during the regular season does provide some opportunities, both for the fringe guys to try and earn a spot, and for the GM/management/coaching staff, to determine what they need to be working on and looking for.  

Edit:  Also think Wolanin would be a worthy call-up, not sure why Juulsen is their guy (for now).    Felt he had the best camp a year ago as well.    Also think the club signed Brisbois to two years because they planned to give him his shot.   Bad luck he's injured. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 2

Think folks complaining about the team performance last night are a little over the top...

I was expecting a loss although as always hoping for a win... Got 2 points out of a bad scheduled back to back, so that was a positive on its own.

Losses happens and there will be more coming in the mail... However, its how the team responds to a loss like this...

Think the reason they keep Juulsen in the line up, is the need for some physicality on the back end. With Soucy out, there is only Cole and Myers with a size...

We all know, we could be done with at least 1 upgrade on the D, but there is no money for that at the moment... and before people start to chime in, with 'poor cap management' to be the reason for that, would we have preferred to not have Hronek, Cole or Soucy (that's where the money went)? Allvin tried to offload 1 off Boeser/Garland/Beau during the summer, but couldn't, so it is, what it is... at least they've been playing well, so they do represent some value now...

Question is, do we want to move Brock or Garland for enforcement on the back end, the way they are playing just now? 

Onwards and upwards.... 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

Think folks complaining about the team performance last night are a little over the top...

I was expecting a loss although as always hoping for a win... Got 2 points out of a bad scheduled back to back, so that was a positive on its own.

Losses happens and there will be more coming in the mail... However, its how the team responds to a loss like this...

Think the reason they keep Juulsen in the line up, is the need for some physicality on the back end. With Soucy out, there is only Cole and Myers with a size...

We all know, we could be done with at least 1 upgrade on the D, but there is no money for that at the moment... and before people start to chime in, with 'poor cap management' to be the reason for that, would we have preferred to not have Hronek, Cole or Soucy (that's where the money went)? Allvin tried to offload 1 off Boeser/Garland/Beau during the summer, but couldn't, so it is, what it is... at least they've been playing well, so they do represent some value now...

Question is, do we want to move Brock or Garland for enforcement on the back end, the way they are playing just now? 

Onwards and upwards.... 

actually i would say we haven't been playing good for a while now going back to ottawa.. we laid an egg in ottawa won.. followed that up with an effort just as bad if not worse against toronto.. then played well against montreal.. wasn't particularly great against the islander in the 1st half.. then laid another egg last night. outside of the montreal game.. we have come out flat and not ready in every other game. hopefully this is not a trend and they fixes whatever the issue is soon.. and if EP is indeed dealing with injury.. rest him now with the 2 weaker opponent coming up and get him healed up.. 

10 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

actually i would say we haven't been playing good for a while now going back to ottawa.. we laid an egg in ottawa won.. followed that up with an effort just as bad if not worse against toronto.. then played well against montreal.. wasn't particularly great against the islander in the 1st half.. then laid another egg last night. outside of the montreal game.. we have come out flat and not ready in every other game. hopefully this is not a trend and they fixes whatever the issue is soon.. and if EP is indeed dealing with injury.. rest him now with the 2 weaker opponent coming up and get him healed up.. 

All elite teams go through cycles of playing very well, just okay, poorly. And the three blend into one another. 
What makes teams elite is they get points in some of the games where they’re not playing well because of their goalie, or PP.

We are clearly an elite team and will cycle upward in play soon. And rip off another long winning streak. 
kneel and bow to the empties 

• Like 3

the thing that bothers me most about last night is thats the closest we have looked to last years team all year.

Desmith has played lights out for us so far but i think he would like at least two of those goals back. Tough game on back to back nights to lose the puck in your pads. The team needed that save.

Petey despite scoring does not look good although early last night he looked better. His goal was more a result of the play made by Miller/Hughes than his shot. but he didnt miss.

I think watching Hughes last night you could see he didnt have the same jump.Playing 30 mins a game isnt going to be a recipe for success. They need better replacements for Soucy than they have right now. Myers had another good game. But that can go south in a hurry. Friedman is ok as long as he isnt asked to step up in minutes and Juulsen is clearly not the answer.

If we can get Suter, Kuzmenko back in the lineup and get our forward lines back to where they belong we will have more success.

Karlsson looked ok in his debut but not overwhelming

Some nights teams arent going to have it especially in a back to back after an emotional win the night before. If we can come out against the Squid and crush them we will all be  happy again.Its probably not realistic to think we stay at top of the conference all season. Beat the Kraken and sharks take the points and move on. Cant wait to see how we stack up against the Avs. That will be  a tell tale game for sure

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

29 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Last night it was B2B with travel and time change.

Plus they spent a week in EST zone.

Scheduled loss, players are not machines.

Would be nice to have 2 days between games now, but it is what it is.

• Cheers 2

7 hours ago, JamesB said:

1. Disappointing to a get the loss but, realistically, after a high-energy, high-emotion OT win the night before, getting on a plane for Calgary the next day for the back end of a back-to-back is always going to be tough.  And the injuries are mounting up. Playing without Soucy, Kuzy, and Suter is a significant loss.

2. The biggest problem is losing Soucy. Friedman was a good pickup to be 7th man but playing every night is too much. And, while Juulsen can play on an emergency basis, he is just not that good and got buried in the advanced stats again tonight despite relatively protected minutes. I would let Hirose or Wolanin play. It has surprised me how the team has stuck with Juulsen. Maybe after tonight one of the other guys will get a shot, especially as the Canucks are overbalanced on the right side at present.

3. Karlsson was ok. He does not move the dial but he held his own. And the Karlsson/Hogs/Lafferty line was actually pretty good. Nice to see Hogs have another pretty good game and pick up another goal.

4. Moving Garland up the the 1st line was not a successful experiment. Petey and Garland have never had great chemistry. Garland was playing really well with Suter and Joshua. Hope those guys can play together again soon.

5. Petey and Hughes are getting worn down. Despite the early goal (Petey from Miller and Hughes), Petey and Hughes had ugly stat lines.

6. Hope the team gets some rest and comes back strong on Saturday. Really hope the Suter/Garland/Joshua line is reunited. And I think the team needs a better solution to cover for Soucy's injury than the approach they took tonight. And if Kuzy could play that would be big boost.

Nice summary. IMHO RT has to give more TOI to the bottom 6 and PA has to give NHL games to his Abby standouts as the season evolves. For a first game I thought Karlsson held his own. I continue being impressed by Blueger and Joshua. Garland perplexes me as his puck possession stands out but his ppg does not climb. 

Injuries will happen. I am more of a fan seeing how prospects develop and them having a shot like Karlsson. It raises the professionalism within the org as players see opportunity. PA can sit on Garland and Beau and wait for opportunity in moving them. Both are decent enough but likely need more TOI to bounce their numbers up. Not likely to get that in Vancouver so my hope is they are moved on any uptick in their performance. 

• Cheers 2

6 hours ago, TNucks1 said:

Yeah, really happy with the nucks start, after almost a decade of small hopes it's good times watching hockey again, was one of the tocchett doubters but been great so far

Yea. It's been fun thus far hasn't it. Good times!

6 hours ago, Kragar said:

I wasn't sure about Tocchett either, but he didn't take long to win me over.

I watch almost every game, even in the dark years, but I'm far more interested in the rest of the league now than in prior years, knowing our boys can measure up on a given day.  Hockey is a lot more fun this year!

I knew nothing about RT as a coach when we got him. Only that he was an assistant with the Pens and head coach in Arizona. But didn't follow him in either of those stints. Hell. I didn't even know he was an analyst on an American hockey network! That being said, I'm liking what he's done for us thus far. Also the Foote/Gonchar coaching acquisition was brilliant as well.

Truth be told, I'm a Canucks fanboy through and through. In the old days if I couldn't watch a game live, I'd tape it on the ol' VHS to watch later after work. Of course now I PVR the games to watch later. Difference between now and then is that others watch the game live or get updates on their mobiles, which I don't do. My co-workers know that I PVR games so they don't tell me stuff. But occasionally they let slip. But in that event, so what. I'm such a fanboy I still will watch the game afterwards!

I'm more interested in the rest of the league post All Star Week. Trade deadline looms, playoff standing, etc. Especially if our 'Nucks are involved. Otherwise I just want them to beat the Flames, Coilers, Laffs and Habs!

5 hours ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Tired team, they gotta be better. No excuses. Oh well. On to the next one. With our hot start we can afford giving up some points to a bad team.

This is the consensus thus far it seems. Ya' can't win 'em all. Especially when travel factors in on a back to back. It happens. As you mention, we have provided ourselves a cushion with our good start. However, we mustn't get into a major multi game losing streak.

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

Onwards and upwards.... 

Well....The comments may seem over the top, but they're warranted I guess. I mean, we are passionate regarding our 'Nucks, aren't we.

Agree with you on the reasoning of Juuls call up. Hirose is up as well isn't he? I'm sure they'll place whatever call up player as needed regarding our opponent and such. I mean, I thought I'd see Bains before Linus, but perhaps Linus deserved a look see.  I though he did alright.

I'm sure we'll see Hirose, Wolanin, Bains and whoever at some point. The injury bug can happen at any time and honestly I believe the interest in the call ups are at an all time high with our organization.

I'm sure Management is gonna make a move. I'm guessing they're gonna wait for now, as there seems to be no interest at this time in what they're offering back. (AB and CG) As mentioned earlier, Bear is an option, but they still need to move out some cap. And even then, we'd still need another BIG MAN on our D!

• Cheers 3

After seeing the clip of Rick's post game, I do agree with him though.

Have to find a way to play tired (angles, etc.). Hopefully they'll take that lesson away as they're learning how to win but also have to learn how to not lose. If that makes sense.

• Cheers 1