[GDT] Vancouver vs. Anaheim. Tuesday, November 28th, 7pt/10et. Rogers Arena. SNP, SN650 - The 'We did a thing!' Edition.

Chickenspear

1 hour ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Wait - did they send Hirose down?  Noticed he's not listed on the 'nux roster.

I would have thought if he was still up that maybe he might slot in for Friedman, who could probably use some downtime to recover from all the hits to the head.

Capfriendly have him as still one of the 23 on the active roster, and they usually are on the ball

Wouldn't surprise me though if he is, at the end of the week, as Abby are running short of defensemen.  Jett Woo left the game after a hit to the head and didn't return last game in Calgary.  Here's the Cloverdale Reporter on the incident:

A scary incident occurred in the second period when Wranglers forward Alex Gallant viciously cross checked Woo in the face. The Canucks defenceman was on the ground for several moments and went straight to the dressing room. He did not return and Gallant was assessed a five-minute major penalty and a game misconduct. It’s possible that he may receive a suspension for the attack.

Edited by Googlie
  • Confused 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

2 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Wait - did they send Hirose down?  Noticed he's not listed on the 'nux roster.

I would have thought if he was still up that maybe he might slot in for Friedman, who could probably use some downtime to recover from all the hits to the head.

Added him in. I thought he did when McWard was brought up, but I guess not. I'll trust capfriendly on this one.

Edited by Chickenspear
  • Cheers 1

The whole organization has had a couple days here to evaluate and reset anything that might have festered on all the road games (13 away 9 home).

Some healing (hopefully) for the banged up and fluish; some specific work on weaknesses, etc.

Expect Rick Tocc to have everybody tuned-up and in place for a good-old beat-down of the Quackers.

When everything is working, we can beat any team in the league; get your individual stuff down pat and then play like a well-coached team.

c19ae738730b27a65d75a59d632c6ba8.gif28340d065cb9d9abe40cbba95ad707b3.gif

Edited by Goal_thecup
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Vintage 1

20 minutes ago, Odd. said:

I’ve watched a couple of their games.

That Calgary Wranglers team is an absolute joke of a franchise. They have some of the most dirtiest group of players I’ve actually ever seen watching hockey. That Gallant puke has had 1 goal in the last 3 years of hockey. Other notable dirty fucks on that team include Bishop, Pospisil (who’s now called up), Klapka (likely will be the next call up option for Calgary), Gilbert (up with the Flames), and to a lesser extent Ben Jones. The issue is, it’s a whole committee thing and these guys spearhead that goonery shit that rubs off the team as a collective. 

It’s absolutely dogshit that the AHL continues to allow these dinosaur players to play with the sole purpose to injure guys. 4 games will not stop guys like Gallant from going out and injuring guys just because they feel the need to be “apart of the game” as they can’t provide any other kind of value. 

Johnson needs to make a move to bring in an enforcer to help protect our kids down there. It’s unbelievable in 2023 that‘s where we’re heading. The AHL is considerably lagging in terms of player safety of todays NHL.

That's what we should be doing, i.e. stockpiling possible enforcers.

This 'modern NHL' still requires a lot of pro goonery to make it through the playoffs and Win The Stanley Cup.

Just look at the shit that is happening to both our farm and the big club with no beat-downs.

Elementary math: soft teams = losers.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Odd. said:

I’ve watched a couple of their games.

That Calgary Wranglers team is an absolute joke of a franchise. They have some of the most dirtiest group of players I’ve actually ever seen watching hockey. That Gallant puke has had 1 goal in the last 3 years of hockey. Other notable dirty fucks on that team include Bishop, Pospisil (who’s now called up), Klapka (likely will be the next call up option for Calgary), Gilbert (up with the Flames), and to a lesser extent Ben Jones. The issue is, it’s a whole committee thing and these guys spearhead that goonery shit that rubs off the team as a collective. 

It’s absolutely dogshit that the AHL continues to allow these dinosaur players to play with the sole purpose to injure guys. 4 games will not stop guys like Gallant from going out and injuring guys just because they feel the need to be “apart of the game” as they can’t provide any other kind of value. 

Johnson needs to make a move to bring in an enforcer to help protect our kids down there. It’s unbelievable in 2023 that‘s where we’re heading. The AHL is considerably lagging in terms of player safety of todays NHL.

It's always been a violent game, that's the nature of it, why does there need to be less violence?  Woo got cross checked, boohoo, take a number and get him back.  

And yes, bring in more enforcers

• Cheers 1

44 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

It's always been a violent game, that's the nature of it, why does there need to be less violence?  Woo got cross checked, boohoo, take a number and get him back.  

And yes, bring in more enforcers

meatheads shouldn't be celebrated. 

The game has a number of violent infractions and their punishments right in the rule book.

You're allowed to fight; you just have to serve a major 5 minute penalty.

You're allowed to crosscheck, etc, etc.

They're in the game because they are fundamental to the game and the fans love it.

Fundamental in that without them; people would get a hurt real bad; it has evolved and the worst is gone.

The fans love it and that means revenue and revenue supports the pro game's very existence.

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Enforcers are not meatheads.  If that's what you believe, you need to actually learn more about them.    There for sure is a difference between a goon (meathead) and an enforcer.  Parros and Grimson have law degrees I think both from Princeton.   Both made decided they wanted the NHL life that fit their role.    Williams,  Semenko, Probert, Domi could all play a checking role, and provide more than just dropping the gloves.  Go watch Tom Wilson and what he did to NYR and Panarin.   Then  imagine if he did that to EP instead, full pick up and body slamming to the ice, a guy half his size really.   Bully.  Then mocking the team in the box and on the way.

To me not much different then an adult doing the same thing to a ten year old.  Still rubs me the wrong way and I'm only a Canuck fan.    There for sure is a place for actual enforcers in this league and always will be.   Maybe educate yourself.   

Every group has them.   Even this group.   Without that social ability, the ability to protect and call things out and take the pain/burden, groups don't work.   Most gravitate to the military or law enforcement.    Every office likely has one, and if they don't it's a bad office.   Doesn't have to be the boss doing it either.    They are also leaders in their own way.    And usually loved by their peer group for their sacrifice's. 

Edit:  The league failed big time on protecting those who were employed to protect.    It really all started with the instigator penalty.  By creating that,  instead of things getting resolved right then and there on the ice,  staged fights and enforcer versus enforcer became all the rage.   And things went awol from there.   Funny thing is, the team that should be penalized, for instigating, is acts like Tom Wilson, and hundreds of others over the years.  Hand  slashing, a big code violation, became so bad after the death of the enforcer, that a lot of stars were black and blue from the hands to their elbows.  Crosby included.   And also participated, nearly severed Methot's finger with a vicious slash of his own.    Don't be so naive to think maybe the league had it right and lost it.   They for sure did. 

The leagues never going to enforce properly, although they've done maybe an ok job of it (they did identify hand slashes were so out of hand, and made that a primary focus to reign it in...know that wasn't an issue before though either).   For sure i'm worried about someone taking excessive liberties on our players come post season.   There is a reason why TB paid an entire draft class for Jeannott.   Marroon used to fill that role for him.   There is also a reason why those guys are traded around like hockey cards before the TDL.    They are valued.    Don't be surprised, if they make a comeback either.    

Now legal hits are reasons to fight which is also a bit of a joke.   But it does show players are still willing.   

if you choose to punch and be punched for a living, I don't care if you're a Mensa member, you're a meathead. 

• Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 1

16 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Enforcers are not meatheads.  If that's what you believe, you need to actually learn more about them.    There for sure is a difference between a goon (meathead) and an enforcer.  Parros and Grimson have law degrees I think both from Princeton.   Both made decided they wanted the NHL life that fit their role.    Williams,  Semenko, Probert, Domi could all play a checking role, and provide more than just dropping the gloves.  Go watch Tom Wilson and what he did to NYR and Panarin.   Then  imagine if he did that to EP instead, full pick up and body slamming to the ice, a guy half his size really.   Bully.  Then mocking the team in the box and on the way.

To me not much different then an adult doing the same thing to a ten year old.  Still rubs me the wrong way and I'm only a Canuck fan.    There for sure is a place for actual enforcers in this league and always will be.   Maybe educate yourself.   

Every group has them.   Even this group.   Without that social ability, the ability to protect and call things out and take the pain/burden, groups don't work.   Most gravitate to the military or law enforcement.    Every office likely has one, and if they don't it's a bad office.   Doesn't have to be the boss doing it either.    They are also leaders in their own way.    And usually loved by their peer group for their sacrifice's. 

Edit:  The league failed big time on protecting those who were employed to protect.    It really all started with the instigator penalty.  By creating that,  instead of things getting resolved right then and there on the ice,  staged fights and enforcer versus enforcer became all the rage.   And things went awol from there.   Funny thing is, the team that should be penalized, for instigating, is acts like Tom Wilson, and hundreds of others over the years.  Hand  slashing, a big code violation, became so bad after the death of the enforcer, that a lot of stars were black and blue from the hands to their elbows.  Crosby included.   And also participated, nearly severed Methot's finger with a vicious slash of his own.    Don't be so naive to think maybe the league had it right and lost it.   They for sure did. 

The leagues never going to enforce properly, although they've done maybe an ok job of it.    For sure i'm worried about someone taking excessive liberties on our players come post season.   There is a reason why TB paid an entire draft class for Jeannott.   Marroon used to fill that role for him.   There is also a reason why those guys are traded around like hockey cards before the TDL.     

As someone who took on that role through junior, and enjoyed it very much and was quite good at it, my personal opinion is that a "deterrent" doesn't really deter anything, it just provides some entertainment value.

That's not to say I didn't enjoy exacting a little revenge or that my teammates didn't appreciate it it, but it never prevented anything from happening really.  And given the severe head trauma most of these guys suffered in their career, it's probably best that it's left to history.  Truthfully, the league is a far better deterrent than a player ever was anyway.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, tas said:

if you choose to punch and be punched for a living, I don't care if you're a Mensa member, you're a meathead. 

Sure.   How many of those guys enjoyed actually fighting?   Not many.  Domi was one I can think of, and Tony Twist who was a meathead.    Domi would have made the league without fighting much.   He didn't fight much when he joined, remember his WNP days.   It grew on him.   Was a ferocious forechecker that was a little wrecking ball every shift.