Nikita Zadorov | #91 | LD/RD

• 3 weeks later...

I just hope he is willing to exchange big dollars for term. As in 4-5 years at $5 million AAV rather than 3 years at $7 million. He did mention that at this point in his career, he's looking for term, so there's that. I really like his character, his presence and his commitment to team play. Sure, he makes a bad play now and then, but overall he is an overwhelmingly net positive. I hope he stays.

• Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Curmudgeon said:

I just hope he is willing to exchange big dollars for term. As in 4-5 years at $5 million AAV rather than 3 years at $7 million. He did mention that at this point in his career, he's looking for term, so there's that. I really like his character, his presence and his commitment to team play. Sure, he makes a bad play now and then, but overall he is an overwhelmingly net positive. I hope he stays.

No way Zadorov could ever command $7M kind of money. I'd see his max at $6M and he's honestly probably just a $4-5M player, maybe in the mid 5s on the open market.

I'd love a 3-5 year deal at $5M or less.

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Z.'s recent play made me curious to look back at the scouting reports on him before he was drafted.  Here's one small snippet of what I found.  It seems to have predicted his current and future development to a T.  We cannot let him go, because I think we are just now seeing the beginning of him becoming the dominant, all-around D man that he's always had the potential to be: 

THN Draft Preview:

If a team wants an enormous project in terms of size and development, Zadorov is it. The team drafting him will have to wait a couple years to see how good he can be in the NHL. "Even if he didn't develop one bit the next three years, he's still going to be a solid NHLer," one scout said. If he does develop, he's going to be an absolute stud."

At the risk of ridiculousness by bringing up Zdeno Chara (the towering gem and former Isles pick against whom all tall prospects are absurdly measured), the pre-draft language on Zadorov remind you of what they said about a young Chara: "Should be solid, but if he develops, man, look out."

I wonder if either Joshua or Zadorov get raised up in priority over Hronek for the contract signing, despite the fact that Hronek will be more expensive than either of them.

• Vintage 2

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

I wonder if either Joshua or Zadorov get raised up in priority over Hronek for the contract signing, despite the fact that Hronek will be more expensive than either of them.

At this juncture, I would think so. They've both proven to be better players and more valuable to the team overall. Hronek's stock has lowered considerably, and I would think that he and his agent must be aware now that $8M a year is laughable. 

2 hours ago, -AJ- said:

They should both be the priority, must get Joshua & Zadorov re-signed!! If Hronek won't agree to a reasonable deal, and at this point it should start with a 6, then deal him! 

7 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I think they really want Zadorov and Joshua back. Hronek, we have some leverage with in that he's an RFA. Even if he decided to go arbitration and get a 1 year deal, we can still trade him before it expires. It does put more pressure on us, but it can be done.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Trade Hronek to get our 1st round pick+ back, then sign Tanev to play with Hughes.  That's got to be the way we go!😎

9 minutes ago, Muscatel Marauder said:

Nikita Zadorov on the atmosphere playing in Edmonton: “It’s fun, they are good fans, diehard fans. I mean, there’s pretty much nothing else to do in that city except watch hockey…It’s been fun, I’ve only had good experiences over there for sure.”

That's a Russian nesting doll insult right there.

• ThereItIs 1

On 5/10/2024 at 1:00 AM, CaptainCanuck12 said:

Trade Hronek to get our 1st round pick+ back, then sign Tanev to play with Hughes.  That's got to be the way we go!😎

Tanev had a really solid game last night against the Avs. If Hronek is moved he would bring back a lot and is a RFA so has residual value. He is much younger than Tanev but Tanev's timeline would fit for the prospects coming up through the system. Bottom line is that the Canucks have to save CAP somewhere. It is all about the return.  

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Tanev had a really solid game last night against the Avs. If Hronek is moved he would bring back a lot and is a RFA so has residual value. He is much younger than Tanev but Tanev's timeline would fit for the prospects coming up through the system. Bottom line is that the Canucks have to save CAP somewhere. It is all about the return.  

Yeah, I also watched a bit of a bit of that Stars-Avs game the other night and Tanev was looking good. 

Would I want Tanev back on a two year contract? Depending on the amount, I don't think that such a signing would bite us in the ass but I am hesitant to get behind such a proposal. I remember Tanev bailing on the club as a UFA. I know that the two clowns (Jimbo & Weisbo) "ran out of time"  after pursuing an OEL trade. Not a big believer in trying to turn back the clock.

If Hronek is moved he would bring back a lot

This is the predominant thought when a Hronek trade is contemplated. I am not convinced that this will be the case. 

Other teams would have watched Hronek's rather pedestrian pace over the last half of the season and the playoffs. His lack of push up the ice. His deference to letting Hughes lug the bisket is quite noticeable as his go-to pass is a D-D pass over to Hughes. He has pretty much stopped using his big point shot. His play in the defensive zone can at times border on the comical. He is our weakest defender. He is also a little undersized. He wants an 8M+ contract and might get it on the open UFA market as there will probably be a few GM's willing to spend the money if it doesn't cost them any trade capital.

There has been some speculation that both Hronek and Pettersson have been playing with nagging injuries. RT has said that this is not the case.

With Hronek, I am getting some bad "Loui Eriksson" type vibes.

I wouldn't want to be saddled for eight years with some 8M dollar player that just goes through the motions while doing the "little things" all while playing on the periphery.

We have been looking for a high skill, 1st pairing defenseman to complement Hughes. I don't believe that Hronek is going to be that person. We need someone a little bigger and better at the all over game, especially defense. I am hopeful that Willander can fill that role in a couple of years. We need a stopgap player until then.

We can't re-sign all of our UFA's. Someone has to go.

My thought is to cut bait on Hronek. Trade him as soon as possible after our season ends. I am also thinking that we won't get back as much as we paid for him but that we go ahead anyway and get the best deal that we can before we have to "Qualify" him. Sometimes in business you have to manage your losses.

Also, by trading Hronek we might have cap space to re-sign Zadorov, Joshua and Lindholm!

Would probably also require other cap saving moves like letting Cole, Blueger and DeSmith leave.

Am I overreacting to what could just be a period of reflection and adjustment in play by Hronek? Maybe. But he is trending the wrong way over a fairly lengthy period. I would rather be proactive than be stuck with a 7.3M-8M+ underperforming player.

Edited by Artemus