(Discussion)Andersson, Rasmus

If we think Andersson is the Top4 RHD we need for a deep Cup run, what price would you like to pay or what price Calgary realisticly want?

He has no NTC etc in his contract.

I want to surrender 2024 1st and 2025 1st + Garland to balance the cap (+ Noah Juulsen if Calgary want a 7/8 D man.)  for Andersson + Calgary 2024 3rd.

I don't want to part way of Tom Willander nor Jonathan Lekkerimaki

image.thumb.png.9f5419ae51e279ad200b84367b1ce4c4.png

image.thumb.png.4249bc48b9474ed47f279802a7ecc252.png

I like it. And if I were Calgary I'd do the deal with both Juulsen + another mid-round pick. Who would you send back to balance cap though? Tyler Myers 25% retained? Calgary then gets out of the cap liability by the end of the year and gains cap space for their rebuild and we get two more years of cost-controlled Andersson. Can resign Myers for cheap during the offseason. 

This is not the type of trade that gets done in the middle of a season.  It's not entirely out of the imagination that something like this might happen, but it usually happens in the summer.

By the way.... Andersson was a Vancouver pick that we traded away for Sven Bärtschi.  It should go down as one of the many lopsided trades in history that went against us.

7 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

This is not the type of trade that gets done in the middle of a season.  It's not entirely out of the imagination that something like this might happen, but it usually happens in the summer.

By the way.... Andersson was a Vancouver pick that we traded away for Sven Bärtschi.  It should go down as one of the many lopsided trades in history that went against us.

from those years pathetic record of draft history, I doubt we will pick him.

• Like 1

He did lose his powerplay spot to Hanifin and Weegar, though he's still the top-pair RHD.  If they are ready to move on from him and we're done on our end with our guy I would attempt to dangle Kuzmenko to them.  Flames are bottom 5 in goals for, so maybe they would be open to take on a winger with scoring upside?  Unless they're tanking or having a fire sale I doubt they would take Myers, and we probably won't want to move any other defender.      

1 hour ago, Phil_314 said:

He did lose his powerplay spot to Hanifin and Weegar, though he's still the top-pair RHD.  If they are ready to move on from him and we're done on our end with our guy I would attempt to dangle Kuzmenko to them.  Flames are bottom 5 in goals for, so maybe they would be open to take on a winger with scoring upside?  Unless they're tanking or having a fire sale I doubt they would take Myers, and we probably won't want to move any other defender.      

If Andersson is available, that's when you give up something you don't necessarily want to and acquire him.  Hunter and Willander are fantastic prospects, but what we want is one of those 2 to turn into Andersson.  So giving up 1 of them for Andersson makes sense.  

He'd be a good get but if he were actually available there would be several teams lining up to try and trade for him and I think Calgary would prefer to trade him elsewhere. They didn't even want to give us Zadorov, we were just the only team poking around who could take on his entire hit. 

Like @Miss Korea said, he seems like more likely to go in offseason trade. 

I also think that of all of him, Hanifin, and Tanev that he's probably the guy Calgary would try to keep. Him and Weegar are the only D they have signed beyond this season, if they aim to stay competitive, and I think they will, they're much better off keeping him than taking what'd probably be middling Vancouver picks imo. 

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

If Andersson is available, that's when you give up something you don't necessarily want to and acquire him.  Hunter and Willander are fantastic prospects, but what we want is one of those 2 to turn into Andersson.  So giving up 1 of them for Andersson makes sense.  

Agree to disagree, I think it's too early to go mortgaging off the future for a win-now piece, if other win-now pieces we have could possibly already be enough value to acquire him.  In a down season for Andersson, I wonder if Kuzmenko, Woo and a pick could be enough to entice them to let him go if they already have an in-house replacement.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

25 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Agree to disagree, I think it's too early to go mortgaging off the future for a win-now piece, if other win-now pieces we have could possibly already be enough value to acquire him.  In a down season for Andersson, I wonder if Kuzmenko, Woo and a pick could be enough to entice them to let him go if they already have an in-house replacement.

Yup. Allvin isn’t going to trade our first. His MO seems to acquire picks in one deal and then use those as capital to bring in the piece he wants. So he could move Kuz for a high pick and top prospect and then use that to get Anderson. 

I can see Allvin moving Kuzmenko for a defenceman, but not until summer and it probably won’t be Andersson. 

Having said that, I’d probably do that deal, depending on Andersson’s cap hit.

I doubt anyone wants Garland, much less Calgary. We are probably stuck with him, unless he’s bought out and I hope he’s not, for cap reasons. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Snoop Hogg said:

I can see Allvin moving Kuzmenko for a defenceman, but not until summer and it probably won’t be Andersson. 

Having said that, I’d probably do that deal, depending on Andersson’s cap hit.

I doubt anyone wants Garland, much less Calgary. We are probably stuck with him, unless he’s bought out and I hope he’s not, for cap reasons. 

I was going to suggest the same thing and I agree it's not a trade that would likely happen before summer and I think Anderson would likely need to ask for a trade for the Flames to consider moving him. But, since speculation is generally what we do on this board, how about:

To Vancouver:

Rasmus Andersson

2026 6th round pick

to Calgary:

Kuzmenko with 1 million retained (balance the cap hit) (assuming he'd waive to go to Calgary)

McDonough

Juulsen

2025 2nd round pick

2026 4th round pick

That gives Calgary another RD to fill in till the end of the year, improves their top 6 offensive (Kuzmenko probably fits better in theirs right now), gives them a prospect who can shoot the puck but who will likely struggle to find a spot in Canucks, plus a couple of draft picks.

Again, this trade only happens IF Andersson requests a trade, which I don't believe he is near doing.

If we were to assume that Kuzmenko would waive to go to Calgary, what might be more realistic for this season would be:

To Vancouver:

Tanev

2024 2nd round pick

To Calgary

Kuzmenko

Juulsen

2025 6th round pick

I'm actually not that big on moving out Juulsen although he'd be a logical addition. I think he is improving every game with Foote and Gonchar guidance and that he's picking his hits better. He's becoming a really good bottom pairing D and may be a really good replacement for Myers next season at a much better rate.

20 hours ago, Tank said:

what price would you like to pay or what price Calgary realisticly want?

I don't want to part way of Tom Willander nor Jonathan Lekkerimaki

I think you just answered your own question as to why this would probably never go down.  

On top of that, I'm not sure if Calgary will have the option of going into rebuild mode with Huberdeau, Weegar, and Kadri all signed long term.  

Huberdeau and Kadri will be difficult to move and so I'm not sure if rebuilding would be an option for them.

Also, with Tanev and possibly Hanafin on their way out at some point, Calgary is going to need to hang on to some defenseman.

I don't see why Calgary would give us Andersson.  

1 hour ago, Tank said:

for rental, PA probably won't do it. if re-sign, the number probably too big to us.

I think there's a world we can make him fit. He probably wants 7-8M, Hronek the same. Hopefully having Hughes at just under 8M means no one on the team defence earns more than him, so we'd be lucky if we tie up Hanifin for 7M, Hronek for 7.5M. Petey gets his 11.5M.

We re-sign Cole to a one year, 1.5-2M deal.

Let Myers walk.

Zadorov gets 4M.

Lafferty and Blueger get similar deals, Joshua the same.

So essentially, down 1M on Cole, up 3M on Hronek, up 2M on Kuzmenko (for Hanifin), down 6M with Myers, up 4M for Petey. Cap goes up 1M, OEL buyout up 2M.

Leaves us 3M over the cap.

Flip Garland at the cost of likely a pick or prospect and sign a 2M UFA winger.