NHL Trade Rumors: Elvis Merzlikins Seeking Fresh Start

With Christmas comes goalie issues - or at least that's how it looks like 2023 will go out. The Edmonton Oilers aren't immune to it as Jack Campbell is the midst of a tough stretch in the AHL.

image.png.a8777a3a631150195b3231bfe3721738.png

Jack Campbell. Brad Rempel-USA TODAY Sports

© Provided by The Hockey News

Looking around the NHL the goalie landscape isn't great, particularly in Carolina. The Carolina Hurricanes put veteran goaltender Antti Raanta on waivers over the weekend.

After he cleared, they recalled a goalie from their ECHL affiliate. They followed that up with agreeing to a free agent tryout with Aaron Dell today. Pyotr Kochetkov has taken over starting duties while they wait for Frederik Andersen to get healthy.

image.png.b5173a8df138b35ab205ace5288daec0.png

Antti Raanta. James Guillory-USA TODAY Sports© Provided by The Hockey News

There is one team with three goalies at the NHL level that may move one of them soon: the Columbus Blue Jackets. Danil Tarasov, Spencer Martin and Elvis Merzlikins make up the goaltenders traveling with the team.

In the latest 32 Thoughts Podcast Elliotte Friedman reports, "I've had a couple of people on Sunday say that they can see the possibility of that, maybe both the Columbus Blue Jackets and Merzlikins feel that it's time for him to try somewhere else."

image.png.ee13124bff443a61bacc447790ef99f0.png

Elvis Merzlikins. John E. Sokolowski-USA TODAY Sports© Provided by The Hockey News

The Blue Jackets have had their fair share of drama this year, but this certainly is a wrinkle in their plans. Merzlikins is a good goalie, but if both sides agree it's best to trade him to a playoff team they have to at least listen to offers.

No matter who the player is, sometimes you reach a point where the best course of action is to move on. It seems like Merzlikins may be at that point now.

If this is the case, it seems silly for the Oilers to not go down this path. If they really need to, they could try to package another asset with Campbell to get his salary off of the balance sheet. They could also see if the Blue Jackets are willing to make that switch directly.

• Thanks 1

I'm not sure a contender looking to shore up goaltending would turn to Merzlikins for answers. Feels like a huge risk and a potential blackhole on your cap and roster. 

a 5.4mil hit for this season and the next 3 for an average starter who's been inconsistent to bad the past few seasons. I'm not sure why you would entertain the idea even. Would Columbus even consider retaining for that long?

Everyone can bounce back, sure, but I'm staying clear of that. If I were GM of a team, I'd rather take a chance on a free agent than this. 

Edited by DeltaSwede
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Devron said:

I would like to see that. He’s a good goalie. Anyone goalie in Columbus doesn’t have a chance. Demko couldn’t save that defence 

Funny before the season they looked to be one of the deeper bluelines in the league…

Werenski

Severson

Provorov 

Jiricek

Guddy

Bean

Peeke

Boqvist

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Funny before the season they looked to be one of the deeper bluelines in the league…

Werenski

Severson

Provorov 

Jiricek

Guddy

Bean

Peeke

Boqvist

I too thought they would be good. Seems like a lot of similarities to our old regime. Nothing aligned. Results end up on the ice 

6 hours ago, DeltaSwede said:

I'm not sure a contender looking to shore up goaltending would turn to Merzlikins for answers. Feels like a huge risk and a potential blackhole on your cap and roster. 

a 5.4mil hit for this season and the next 3 for an average starter who's been inconsistent to bad the past few seasons. I'm not sure why you would entertain the idea even. Would Columbus even consider retaining for that long?

Everyone can bounce back, sure, but I'm staying clear of that. If I were GM of a team, I'd rather take a chance on a free agent than this. 

I'll give you he's been inconsistent, but the only bad year he's really had is last season. He has a .909 save percentage this season, which while not stellar, still puts him ahead of goalies like Binnington, Gibson, and even Shestyorkin and Oettinger so far this season. He's not one of the top 5 goalies in the league, but he's still solid.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, DeltaSwede said:

a 5.4mil hit for this season and the next 3 for an average starter who's been inconsistent to bad the past few seasons. I'm not sure why you would entertain the idea even. 

Perfect for the Oilers. 😆 with all joking aside tho I like Elvis and believe he could do better elsewhere.

Edited by Rush

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Werenski

Severson

Provorov 

Jiricek

Guddy

Bean

Peeke

Boqvist

I swore Peeke was going to be a Norris caliper Dman. I went to a ND game before Covid, maybe 2018 or 19 and he was an absolute monster out there. I’m glad I’m not a scout. 

a small part of me still believes this and I’d love to see us acquire him so I can get on with my life. 

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, canuck73_3 said:

Draisaitl is the least of Edmonton's issues.

My guess is that @Nucker67 is suggesting that the return Edmonton could get for trading Draisaitl could fix a lot of their problems. He should easily get them a defensively sound 2nd line centerman and a top pair defenseman if he were to be traded.

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

My guess is that @Nucker67 is suggesting that the return Edmonton could get for trading Draisaitl could fix a lot of their problems. He should easily get them a defensively sound 2nd line centerman and a top pair defenseman if he were to be traded.

With Nuge locked in it could be argued they wouldn't even need a 2c back

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Draisaitl is the least of Edmonton's issues.

True enough. But to fix the other holes they have moving dr. Dive could do that. They would likely get a couple excellent (perhaps older?) roster players who would help the defensive pkay and get picks and prospects too.

IMHAO it’s similar to when we traded the Fat Wallet. The pieces we ended up with (especially Hronek) were key in our becoming a much improved club and helped our depth too. 

Edited by Alflives

3 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

They'll both leave as ufa.

Draisaitl is ufa after next season. McDavid ufa the season after that. 

McDavid probably ask for a trade when Draisaitl leaves end of next season. 

If they move McDavid for a king's ransom they'd likely be able to field a legit threat with a chance to keep Leon. If not then you already have pieces in place to make a deeper team trading Leon.

2 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

They'll both leave as ufa.

Draisaitl is ufa after next season. McDavid ufa the season after that. 

McDavid probably ask for a trade when Draisaitl leaves end of next season. 

It would be crazy to see both Alberta teams basically be undermined by their star players. 

2 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

If they move McDavid for a king's ransom they'd likely be able to field a legit threat with a chance to keep Leon. If not then you already have pieces in place to make a deeper team trading Leon.

Not too sure any club will pay a King’s random for McWhiner Baby. He’s a Loser.