Hockey Trade 

To Capitols - Kuzmenko

To Vancouver - Mantha 

Anthony Mantha

Right Wing -- shoots L
Born Sep 16 1994 -- Longueuil, PQ
[29 yrs. ago]
Height 6.05 -- Weight 234 [196 cm/106 kg]

Canucks add size and toughness that can slot up and down the line up and will be needed when the playoffs get really physical. 

Capitols add skill 

Both similar contracts/ salary 

Mikheyev Pettersson Suter 

Hoglander Miller Boeser

Joshua Blueger Garland 

Mantha Aman Lafferty 

• Cheers 1

Well, being up against the cap if we did trade Kuzmenko to the Capitals, we'd have to take salary back. I just can't see us keeping Mantha into next season, so it's effectively a rental. Yet, Washington gets a guy who is performing better even this season, and when on his game, is a point-a-game guy for around the same price as Mantha.

So, how about targeting Aliaksei Protas? He is having an improved year, is only 22, and is a big guy who will likely get bigger. In return, we send a prospect or two back. To me, this evens the trade:

Mantha + Protas

for

Kuzmenko, Linus Karlsson & rights to Kravtsov

• Upvote 1

Mantha would be a pretty underwhelming return. Has to be something better out there. Like the poster above said trying to squeeze Protas out makes this idea more palatable for sure. Could be a nice big bottom 6 Center. Kuzmenko has to have more value than Mantha though so adding a 2nd rounder or a player like Protas or McMichael would make this nicer. I’m still hoping something around Larsson and a late pick for Kuzmenko and Friedman 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If we are trading Kuzmenko then we either need to get a top 4 RHD back in the deal or a top 6 forward who knows how to forecheck.  I don't see how we can compete with Vegas and the others with Suter on Petey's wing...

Yeah, Suter on Petey's line is such a waste.  Wasting Kuzmenko's talent on the 4th line and wasting the talent of Petey as well.

• ThereItIs 1

Just now, Jeremy Hronek said:

Josh Anderson perhaps?   

I Like Anderson but he's been pretty bad this year.  If he can get back to his previous form then he'd be perfect on Petey's wing.  3 more years at $5.5 million.  With the cap going up it's not a crazy contract if he can get back to being a 20+ goal scorer.  I am sure he is a Rick Tocchet guy too.  He would be great on the bumper spot on the PP too.  We need a large net front presence for the PP, that is one thing we are missing...

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

11 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

Josh Anderson perhaps?   

I doubt Montreal would be interested.  Anderson is finding his game after recovering from last year's season ending surgery.  He's worked his ass off every game this year and the points are starting to come.  4g,3a,7p in his last 8 games.  He brings speed, grit and a netfront presence that's otherwise lacking with Dach out for the season. Kuzmenko is a healthy scratch again tonight and doesntvreally seem to fit the mold of the players Hughes has targeted as GM 

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I Like Anderson but he's been pretty bad this year.  If he can get back to his previous form then he'd be perfect on Petey's wing.  3 more years at $5.5 million.  With the cap going up it's not a crazy contract if he can get back to being a 20+ goal scorer.  I am sure he is a Rick Tocchet guy too.  He would be great on the bumper spot on the PP too.  We need a large net front presence for the PP, that is one thing we are missing...

Apparently, Anderson has been playing half decent but has just had extraordinarily bad luck.  

But you're right - I could see Anderson fitting into Tocchet's system while Kuzmenko thrives in Montreal's more open system.

• Cheers 1

If they trade Kuz, I hope it's for a top 6 winger with size/grit.

What about sending Kuzmenko to a place where no one cares enough about hockey to criticize the team, where the weather is warm year round, very warm, where he can play his game, eat a banana on the bench and rack up the points on the top line. 

to ARI - Kuzmenko

to VAN - Crouse

Crouse - Pettersson - Mikheyev

Hoglander - Miller - Boeser

17 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

What about sending Kuzmenko to a place where no one cares enough about hockey to criticize the team, where the weather is warm year round, very warm, where he can play his game, eat a banana on the bench and rack up the points on the top line. 

to ARI - Kuzmenko

to VAN - Crouse

Lawson Crouse is the dream.  But even Arizona isn’t that dumb…

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

to ARI - Kuzmenko

to VAN - Crouse

I doubt Crouse would want to leave, he's having a solid season next to Bjugstad and Maccelli.  He definitely is the type of player to target though, even if they're underwhelming.  Could see Owen Tippett being a fit from Philly?