Does the lack of canadians players in our roster bother you ?

DexM94

Not the easiest question.

How much that you, a canadian city, bother about the extremely poor representative number of canadians players in the team ?

Yes this team is right now at the top of the league, and that should be the main critera ; but does it steal a little part of the happy mindset if 95% of the team isnt from the country ?  

If i take a picture now, and i only show canadians players in the roster, that will ends up like this :

Forwards

L1 -- -- --

L2 -- -- --

L3 -- -- --

L4 -- -- --

Dmen

P1 -- --

P2 -- --

P3 -- Juulsen

Goaltender

S --

B --

Top Prospects 

Swede, Swede, Swede, US...

As a french guy, i would love to see some great canadian young talent to be inserted into the prospect pipeline. And i really hope Bedard would choose to come to his hometown in 2.5 years.

Is this a sensitive point or totaly irrevelant to you ? 

• Thanks 1

Has absolutely no impact on how good or bad a player is. People made a lot out of Vegas winning the Cup with a majority of Canadians and implying that they're bigger, stronger and tougher than other countries. Only 2 of the top-10 scorers in the league right now are Canadian. We're the best team in the league right now and our top players are American or Swedish.

There is the old notion that Swedish players have more skill, less size, Americans seem to have a bit of both but are more gritty and Canadians have great truculence. Obviously these are massive over-generalizations and every player is very different. I think we saw that in the last draft, seeing a lot of bigger bodies from Europe drafting quite high.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Vegas. 18 Canadians, 2 US.    Been a very, very, very long time, since i've seen a team built like that.   Florida didn't get away with their crap like they did against other teams on the way to the cup (and that was some pretty good crap too!). 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Has absolutely no impact on how good or bad a player is. People made a lot out of Vegas winning the Cup with a majority of Canadians and implying that they're bigger, stronger and tougher than other countries. Only 2 of the top-10 scorers in the league right now are Canadian. We're the best team in the league right now and our top players are American or Swedish.

There is the old notion that Swedish players have more skill, less size, Americans seem to have a bit of both but are more gritty and Canadians have great truculence. Obviously these are massive over-generalizations and every player is very different. I think we saw that in the last draft, seeing a lot of bigger bodies from Europe drafting quite high.

Let's face it the CHL plays far more games than other leagues. 68 regular season + pre-season + playoffs. A Memorial CUP winner plays around 100 games. IMO that gives Canadian players an edge. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Vegas. 18 Canadians, 2 US.    Been a very, very, very long time, since i've seen a team built like that.   Florida didn't get away with their crap like they did against other teams on the way to the cup (and that was some pretty good crap too!). 

St. Louis Blues. 2018-19.

It bothers me in the sense the team is named Canucks, and we have 5 Canadians, of which 1 is a forward, and 4 are defencemen, and Soucy is the most reliable.

But I think this is more of a reflection of the state of the NHL these days. You still have the odd Canadian superstar (Crosby, Bedard, Stamkos) But Canada seems to be lacking development of high end talent like we used to. Which is also a reflection of how expensive the sport is for families.

In the end if we win a Cup, I don't think anyone in this market would really care.

• Cheers 3

I would like to see an all Canadian pro league.  Buttman and co. can go take a hike as far as I'm concerned.  I've created a pro hockey fantasy in my head where I invented a professional league entirely within Canada.  There would be 24 teams based on 24 territories (3 in BC, 2 in AB, 7 in ON, 5 in QC, and one in each of the other provinces and one combined for the territories).  Each team would draw from players from their own territory plus a limited number of imports (say 3 a team) just for spice.  PEI and The Territories would be allowed more imports because of their low population.  That way there would be a pro team in every province, territory, and every major city in Canada, and we could all cheer for (mostly) our own hometown boys.  It wouldn't generate anywhere near the same amount of money as the NHL but I don't care about the big money and personally I think it would be more fun.  And more Canadians could earn their living by playing hockey.  But yeah, it's a fantasy and the NHL is never going to work like that.  The NHL is what it is.  I like hockey.  A lot.  I hate what the NHL has become and where it's going under Buttman's leadership (pro wrestling anyone?).  But the way it stands right now, the NHL is where one has to go to see top tier hockey.

Edited by nux_win
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, DexM94 said:

Not the easiest question.

How much that you, a canadian city, bother about the extremely poor representative number of canadians players in the team ?

Yes this team is right now at the top of the league, and that should be the main critera ; but does it steal a little part of the happy mindset if 95% of the team isnt from the country ?  

If i take a picture now, and i only show canadians players in the roster, that will ends up like this :

Forwards

L1 -- -- --

L2 -- -- --

L3 -- -- --

L4 -- -- --

Dmen

P1 -- --

P2 -- --

P3 -- Juulsen

Goaltender

S --

B --

Top Prospects 

Swede, Swede, Swede, US...

As a french guy, i would love to see some great canadian young talent to be inserted into the prospect pipeline. And i really hope Bedard would choose to come to his hometown in 2.5 years.

Is this a sensitive point or totaly irrevelant to you ? 

Myers is Canadian. He was born in Texas to Canadian parents and grew up in Canada. He is a Canadian citizen and plays for Canada internationally.

• Cheers 1

It doesn't bother me much. 

I prefer that our on-ice product is quality, rather than focusing on a Canadian player quota.

If all things were equal and we could ice a majority Canadian team, I guess I would prefer that. But I don't care enough about it that I would actually want management to factor Canadian citizenship into their personnel acquisition process.

• Cheers 1

Call me bitter, but the allure of any Canadians and winning it the Canadian way or for canada have soured on me since the majority of the nation turned against us in 2011. A win is a win now in my books. You can be from Tahiti for all I care as long as you score that SCF winning goal haha.

On a macro level I think the USA hockey program has caught up to us. We'll see more depth and talent weighted to US players and teams going into this decade

Edited by DSVII
  • Like 1

One or two decades ago I had that thought. Canadian men's teams in international play always had success. Even if our teams were subpar compared to other nations, Canadians seem to get the Gold at the Worlds, World Junior and the Olympics. That's a pretty good reason for desiring more Canadians on ones roster. Heck. I remember discussing an, "If I was a Billionare" scenario with my hockey loving mates of owning an NHL team and drafting/acquiring Canadian only hockey players and come Winter Olympic years, we send my team!      Ahhhh, but was only a dream.........That being said................

Our eyes were opened by the Summit series. All of a sudden, North America, CANADA, no longer seemed to have the monopoly on great hockey players. And NHL hockey owners wanted a piece of the pie. Why not. The NHL is the place to be for the best in the world. Scouts were sent to other countries to look for talent. Well. I'm not going to give y'all a history of the influx of Euro players. We all know about it.

In short, after my long exhale of words, It doesn't matter. We assemble a bunch of players from wherever, they play hockey for us to cheer and if we win. YAY!!!!!!!!

Go Canucks Go!!!!!!

• Vintage 1