[Signing] Nikolai Khabibulin with Torpedo Nizhny Novgorod (KHL)

I almost forgot he was alive.

“A former Stanley Cup Champion has decided he has little more left in the tank.

It was announced on Wednesday that goaltender Nikolai Khabibulin is signing with Torpedo Nizhny Novgorod of the Kontinental Hockey League. 

Khabibulin, 50, signed on to be the team’s third goaltender for the remainder of the season, joining former New York Ranger prospect Adam Huska, and former American Hockey League netminder Ivan Kulbakov.

The Russian-born netminder has not played in a professional game since Nov. 16, 2013, while as a member of the Chicago Blackhawks. He will be turning 51 next month.

Khabibulin spent 18 years in the NHL, playing for the Winnipeg Jets (who became the Phoenix Coyotes), Tampa Bay Lightning, Blackhawks and Edmonton Oilers. In 799 games, he posted a 333-334-97 record with a 2.72 goals-against average, .907 save percentage, and 46 shutouts. Khabibulin was also to the Western All-Star team four times.

He posted a 39-31 record in the playoffs, registering a 2.40 GAA and .917 SV%, with six more shutouts.

Khabibulin is most remembered for backstopping the Lightning to their first Stanley Cup in 2004 (though many in Calgary dispute that fact). He was also a member of the Unified Team that captured gold at the 1992 Winter Olympics, having won World Juniors gold earlier in the year. The former Long Beach Ice Dog also earned a bronze medal with Russia in Salt Lake City in 2002.

This will be the first time the “Bulin Wall” has been on a Russian pro team since playing with Ak Bars Kazan during the 2004-05 lockout.

Torpedo is currently third in the Bobrov Division, 28 points behind first-place Spartak Moscow. Spartak made news recently after signing 40-year-old Ilya Kovalchuk, who scored his first goal in two years in his debut with the team on Christmas Eve.”

Baffling. He probably won't play more than a couple games, but I find it hard to believe that a guy so long removed from pro hockey and 50 years old is your best option. Probably a PR move more than anything else.

• Cheers 1

It's amazing that he's still playing, and I hope his team somehow gets an exhibition game against Kladno of the Czech Extraliga, and that he could have a penalty shot against Jagr.  That might be the oldest penalty shot shooter and goalie combo in history (Bulin Wall is 50, Jagr is 51).

19 minutes ago, CaptainCanuck12 said:

What kind of shape can he be in?  Mark my words, within his first game or two, he'll be straining either his right khabi or his left bulin!

Was coming here to post this!  Still one of my favourite sports news lines.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

3 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

It's amazing that he's still playing, and I hope his team somehow gets an exhibition game against Kladno of the Czech Extraliga, and that he could have a penalty shot against Jagr.  That might be the oldest penalty shot shooter and goalie combo in history (Bulin Wall is 50, Jagr is 51).

No way Jagr considers this given his views on the orcs.

23 minutes ago, Down By the River said:

I learned on one of the TSN broadcasts that Jorian Donovan of Canada' WJC team is the son of Shean Donovan (cue Taylor's "they call him mellow yellow"). 

That's right, Saffron, he heard about some gravesites @Down By the River, a place where no body goes.

This ain't no party; this ain't no disco; this ain't no foolin' around.

We're gettin' the playoffs, we're winnin' in the playoffs, We Are Winning The Stanley Cup!

Eel lect trick ell ban ann ah, goan to be the latest craze,

Eel lect trick ell Ban Anna,  No!  Ban All The Trolls

1 Warning and Bam!  That's It!  No more foolin' 'roun'!!

Eel Lect Trick ell Ban Hammer!

thor-arriving-lightning-ban-hammer-kkp5s

New Spinning Vibrator!  "It's just like it ever was," she said, "same as it ever was, same as it ever was".

This is not my beautiful house, this is not my beautiful wife, this is an Eel Leck Trick Ell Ban Anna (eater).

banana-eating-funny-drill-2h53uuaxw33vw2

Edited by Goal_thecup

2 hours ago, Goal_thecup said:

That's right, Saffron, he heard about some gravesites @Down By the River, a place where no body goes.

This ain't no party; this ain't no disco; this ain't no foolin' around.

We're gettin' the playoffs, we're winnin' in the playoffs, We Are Winning The Stanley Cup!

Eel lect trick ell ban ann ah, goan to be the latest craze,

Eel lect trick ell Ban Anna,  No!  Ban All The Trolls

1 Warning and Bam!  That's It!  No more foolin' 'roun'!!

Eel Lect Trick ell Ban Hammer!

thor-arriving-lightning-ban-hammer-kkp5s

New Spinning Vibrator!  "It's just like it ever was," she said, "same as it ever was, same as it ever was".

This is not my beautiful house, this is not my beautiful wife, this is an Eel Leck Trick Ell Ban Anna (eater).

banana-eating-funny-drill-2h53uuaxw33vw2

200w.gif.0d8c6bc805b313f78fb8b1f4cbd03c2d.gif

Many Canucks connections with the topic points below:

According to a press release from Torpedo HC Igor Larionov on signing Khabibulin, he has done a lot of work to get into game shape for the latter part of the season and into the playoffs:

image.thumb.png.a78c31dfa6e30b387a1b3e2a25c93cc7.png

Similarly to the one-time-Canuck, Mike McKenna, I would love to see what equipment Khabibulin will be wearing. I wonder if he will lean on Bauer to recreate his Cup-winning Bauer Vapor set-up in the Torepdo colours. 

image.thumb.png.fd608e61334c10859d1297c708c1e876.png

16 hours ago, RakuRaku said:

Kinda ewwww?? If I were an 18 year old boy, I wouldn't feel comfortable with a 50 year old in my shower room...

at least it's not in Chicago.....

too soon?

• Huggy Bear 1