[Proposal] Kuzmenko and Garland for a bag of pucks (or picks) to sign Nylander

Signing Nylander   

26 members have voted

1. 1. Is Nylander worth more then Kuz and Garland combined

• YES
    • NO

Kuz makes 5.5 mill Garland makes 4.95 mill = 10.45 mill

Both these players are signed for next season and Garland 1 more after that. Garland value won't be higher than it is now so this one has to be done no later then the deadline. Kuz you could ask the question do we need him we can do this now or before deadline.

Nylander can produce at a higher level then both these players can combined right now and Nylander is far more consistent then Kuz probably will ever be. Garlands role on the team can be done by some one far cheaper then 4.95 mill.

Next years lineup possibility Cap compliant using a cap of 4 million higher or 87.5 million (cap hits in brackets)

Mikheyev (4.75) EP40 ( 12 mill at as long term as we can get hopefully 5 or more years) Nylander (10.5 mill for 8 years

Hoglander (1.1) Miller (8.00) Boeser (6.650)

Joshua Blueger Lafferty ( all UFAs next season 7.00 mill split between them Lafferty would be my choice to part with if 1 has to go)

Giuseppe (.775) Suter (1.6) ___________ ( I will get back to the 12th and 13th forwards)

Hughes (7.85) Hronek (8.00 mill I hope this is the highest possible # so I went with the highest possible #)

Soucy (3.25) Mcward (.800 for 2 years seams about right)

Hirose (.7875) Tanev( 3.00 mill for 3 years. This could be any veteran right handed Dman but Tanev is a UFA this summer and I want him back so i picked him also who is better to teach the young D-men)

1 of Wolanin or Brisebois ( both have cap hits of .775) Juulsen (.775)

Demko (5.0)

________ 

For my finished line up I had Silovs as backup goalie (.800 mill @ 2years seemed right) 

Canucks already signed Amen (.825) So that leaves 0.915833 mill for a 12th forward or Amen as the 12th and sign a 13th forward. 

Of coarse cap can be allocated in many ways mine was just to show that it can be cap compliant. If you value the Backup spot then as I said Lafferty could be let go (or pick a guy) and allocate that money to the Backup and sign a cheaper guy at forward. Some one might want to put Lakkerimaki in their lineup. His cap hit is .950 so Amen might not make your line up and they could chose a .775 forward to hold the 13th forward. This shows that there would still be cap flexibility even with signing Nylander because it is no different than keeping Kuz and Garland for next season. The Best part I think is that it also forces the Canucks to bring up Hirose and Mcward and they will be surrounded by veterans and pushed by Brisebois or Wolanin and Juulsen.

Who are we trading to get Nylander, or are you thinking Toronto is going to let him walk to free agency?

If Nylander actually is available for free as a UFA, then I would have no problem trading Kuzy and Boeser to fit him in.  I’d still keep Garland for our 3rd line which is literally our best line right now.  I’d replace Boeser with Lekkerimaki.

Mikheyev     Pettersson    Nylander

Hoglander   Miller             Lekkerimaki 

Petey and Nylander would be playing beautiful music together.  And we’d have two more Swedish players on the team, which I would prefer…

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Who are we trading to get Nylander, or are you thinking Toronto is going to let him walk to free agency?

If Nylander actually is available for free as a UFA, then I would have no problem trading Kuzy and Boeser to fit him in.  I’d still keep Garland for our 3rd line which is literally our best line right now.  I’d replace Boeser with Lekkerimaki.

Petey and Nylander would be playing beautiful music together.  And we’d have two more Swedish players on the team, which I would prefer…

Signing Nylander in the July 1st was my thinking.

I was thinking the (EP40 Nylander) (Miller Boeser) 1-2 punch would be awesome

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, CanuckFanForever said:

Signing Nylander in the July 1st was my thinking.

I was thinking the (EP40 Nylander) (Miller Boeser) 1-2 punch would be awesome

We need to make room for Lekkerimaki.  If we are paying Petey 11.5 and Nylander 10.5 then we have no room for Boeser who will want 8+ on a long term deal.  Lekkerimaki can replace him.  Garland we can keep for our dominant 3rd line.

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

We need to make room for Lekkerimaki.  If we are paying Petey 11.5 and Nylander 10.5 then we have no room for Boeser who will want 8+ on a long term deal.  Lekkerimaki can replace him.  Garland we can keep for our dominant 3rd line.

I look at cap hit a little differently. Boeser is making 6.65 that means that amount is already baked into the cap. SO Boeser's raise is only 1.35 million. 8-6.65= 1.35 and he only gets 8 mill if he can repeat what he is doing this year. If it was up to me I'd let him walk next year if his total gets to high. Lekkerimaki can play on the 3rd or forth line considering he would be a 1st year unproven player who has showed nothing in the NHL yet. 

20 minutes ago, CanuckFanForever said:

I look at cap hit a little differently. Boeser is making 6.65 that means that amount is already baked into the cap. SO Boeser's raise is only 1.35 million. 8-6.65= 1.35 and he only gets 8 mill if he can repeat what he is doing this year. If it was up to me I'd let him walk next year if his total gets to high. Lekkerimaki can play on the 3rd or forth line considering he would be a 1st year unproven player who has showed nothing in the NHL yet. 

I wouldn’t touch the 3rd line.  It’s the best line we have.  Also, Lekkerimaki isn‘t a 3rd liner.  He’s a pure goal scorer.  He will need to play with top end talent.  We don’t need Boeser if we have Nylander.  Nylander is also a 40+ goal scorer. And Lekkerimaki will replace Kuzmenko’s goals.  

Man, if we could sign Nylander for free that would allow us to trade both Boeser and Kuzmenko for assets that could fill other holes.  Another RHDman and a power forward.

Edited by Elias Pettersson

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I wouldn’t touch the 3rd line.  It’s the best line we have.  Also, Lekkerimaki isn‘t a 3rd liner.  He’s a pure goal scorer.  He will need to play with top end talent.  We don’t need Boeser if we have Nylander.  Nylander is also a 40+ goal scorer.  And Lekkerimaki will replace Kuzmenko’s goals.  

Man, if we could sign Nylander for free that would allow us to trade both Boeser and Kuzmenko for assets that could fill other holes.  Another RHDman and a power forward.

This is where we will disagree I like Boeser. Boeser is Nylander lite in my opinion. Last year and this year he has shown that even his passing skills are still developing. Plus we have probably 4 good years of Millers contract before he leaves his prime I wouldn't want to wager those years on Lekkerimaki unless he could show next year he could be a top 6 full time forward. Garland could be replaced by Lafferty or Lakkerimaki on the 3rd. Lakkerimaki could bring a greater scoring threat to that line and Blueger and Joshua can teach him how to play NHL defense. Truth is I don't know if we can keep Lafferty Garland Joshua and Blueger after this season they have played above their potential 

Edited by CanuckFanForever
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

as good as our 3rd line is... Boeser has scored more than the entire 3rd line combined....

you do realize there is a reason why our 3rd line is scoring right? they are getting weak match-ups...

use your Unagi

Hopefully Lek makes his way to North America next season so we can see if he is ready for a spot when Boeser’s contract expires and the OEL penalty balloons. 
‘We probably could have afforded Nylander if it wasn’t for the OEL penalty but don’t think we can now. Do think he is a contingency for PA if can’t sign EP. 
Nylander will end up in Anaheim. He wants to go to California and LA likely couldn’t find the room. 

Edited by DrJockitch

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

Hopefully Lek makes his way to North America next season so we can see if he is ready for a spot when Boeser’s contract expires and the OEL penalty ends. 
‘We probably could have afforded Nylander if it wasn’t for the OEL penalty but don’t think we can now. Do think he is a contingency for PA if can’t sign EP. 
Nylander will end up in Anaheim. He wants to go to California and LA likely couldn’t find the room. 

The OEL buyout doesn't end until after the 28-29 season. 

• Sad 1

The problem with the idea of trading for someone like Nylander, he's going to command a 10 million + salary. Now, you find yourself in a similar situation to Toronto and Edmonton, where you have a top heavy team cap and no flexibility to round out your roster.

The cup is won by having a well rounded team, not just a bunch of elites who get tired if you over play them.

Toronto has 40% of their cap tied up in just 3 forwards, one of which, Tavares, is no longer worth anywhere near what they are paying him. Their defense and goaltending suck and they don't have enough young assets to fill in effectively to compensate for the injuries that occur during a 82 game season, much less winning 4 best of 7 series.

We have Pettersson who is going to be 10 million +, possibly as high as 12 million, but I'm hoping that we can keep him a little lower, maybe in at 11 million.

Kuzmenko is struggling, but I thought he's been looking better the last couple of games he played. Jury is still out on whether he will be able to become the 200 foot game guy that NHL success is built around or if he will remain a one dimensional guy who is just good in the offensive zone.

Garland, although points haven't been rolling in, has been playing a REALLY effective game for us and is a big part of why our 3rd line is clicking so well. Over the last few games, the 3rd line is what has been making the team go and has probably been our most effective line. I partially attribute this to the fact that Canucks, like Vegas, have played more games than most of the other teams in the league and exhaustion has been catching up with our top 6. Our 3rd line, is fresher and has been playing at a much higher energy level than the rest of the team.

Personally, I'd let this lineup ride out January and then evaluate what the team really needs to go deep into the playoffs. I've said before that I don't think this is a Stanley Cup team, but after bringing in Zadorov, I think we are actually closer to that and that there is a good chance that we could be ready to challenge for the cup before the end of the season. We now have 3 balanced lines and our 4th line has been improving. It will be interesting to see where we are once we get Soucy back, that will tell us more than anything about how we look as a team.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

The problem with the idea of trading for someone like Nylander, he's going to command a 10 million + salary. Now, you find yourself in a similar situation to Toronto and Edmonton, where you have a top heavy team cap and no flexibility to round out your roster.

The cup is won by having a well rounded team, not just a bunch of elites who get tired if you over play them.

Toronto has 40% of their cap tied up in just 3 forwards, one of which, Tavares, is no longer worth anywhere near what they are paying him. Their defense and goaltending suck and they don't have enough young assets to fill in effectively to compensate for the injuries that occur during a 82 game season, much less winning 4 best of 7 series.

We have Pettersson who is going to be 10 million +, possibly as high as 12 million, but I'm hoping that we can keep him a little lower, maybe in at 11 million.

Kuzmenko is struggling, but I thought he's been looking better the last couple of games he played. Jury is still out on whether he will be able to become the 200 foot game guy that NHL success is built around or if he will remain a one dimensional guy who is just good in the offensive zone.

Garland, although points haven't been rolling in, has been playing a REALLY effective game for us and is a big part of why our 3rd line is clicking so well. Over the last few games, the 3rd line is what has been making the team go and has probably been our most effective line. I partially attribute this to the fact that Canucks, like Vegas, have played more games than most of the other teams in the league and exhaustion has been catching up with our top 6. Our 3rd line, is fresher and has been playing at a much higher energy level than the rest of the team.

Personally, I'd let this lineup ride out January and then evaluate what the team really needs to go deep into the playoffs. I've said before that I don't think this is a Stanley Cup team, but after bringing in Zadorov, I think we are actually closer to that and that there is a good chance that we could be ready to challenge for the cup before the end of the season. We now have 3 balanced lines and our 4th line has been improving. It will be interesting to see where we are once we get Soucy back, that will tell us more than anything about how we look as a team.

I think there is a big difference in paying 3 players 11 plus per year (Tor) when the cap was below 80 mill a year (when those contract where signed) compared to when the cap is going to be roughly 87-88 million next year. As the cap grows we can easily see teams having 2-3 players in the 10+ million range. The Canucks could easily have EP 40 and Nylander above 10 mill. With Hughes joining them in 4 years when the Cap is well into the 90 million range.

Right now we see 15 guys give or take with salaries above 10 million expect it to double in the next few years as the cap goes up

4 minutes ago, snowman955 said:

Just NO . We need to sign our own. Our Nucks need the term and rewards  they deserve. 

Let the Laffs suffer from cap compliance.

You realize this is not a trade this would be a July 1st signing. The Canucks would just trade Kuz and Garland for picks prior so we could sign Nylander

3 minutes ago, CanuckFanForever said:

You realize this is not a trade this would be a July 1st signing. The Canucks would just trade Kuz and Garland for picks prior so we could sign Nylander

As we have known for a while, EP40 needs to be final. The fact that OEL cap is growing. Fix  that and take care of what we have first. Before inheriting a non Tochett type.

I am merely looking to improve the future and no be forced to the cap.

3 hours ago, CanuckFanForever said:

I think there is a big difference in paying 3 players 11 plus per year (Tor) when the cap was below 80 mill a year (when those contract where signed) compared to when the cap is going to be roughly 87-88 million next year. As the cap grows we can easily see teams having 2-3 players in the 10+ million range. The Canucks could easily have EP 40 and Nylander above 10 mill. With Hughes joining them in 4 years when the Cap is well into the 90 million range.

Right now we see 15 guys give or take with salaries above 10 million expect it to double in the next few years as the cap goes up

You need the lower paid depth guys who are really capable of eating up minutes, to go really deep in the playoffs. Also need to consider what Hronek is going to need to be extended as well.

I've built scenarios, if you subtracted Kuzmenko and Garland then added 2 more guys in the 11 - 12 million range, it gets REALLY tight.

26 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

LOL William Nylander becomes an unrestricted free agent and only signs for $10.5M AAV?  That's the same salary as Jonathan Huberdeau.  That's less than John Tavares.  HAHAHA

Yeah I think that's what Nylander gets. 

1st he is 28 on a 7 year max deal with any other team that puts him 34 years old on the last year of that deal I don't think teams will think his worth is going to hold at 10.5 at 33 or 34 years of age. So I suspect higher $ values in the first 2-3 years and 9 mill in his 6th and 8 mill in his 7th for an average of 10.5 million cap hit.

2nd, I think a lot of people don't realize that Nylander has never hit 100pts. He is on pace for 118 this year. He has hit 40 goals just once and is on pace for 41 this year. I think most GMs will see him as a sub par 100 pt player in the right situation and a 35 goal score with the capability to hit 40. 

3rd only on the Leafs do I believe that Nylander will get more then 10.5 and I really don't think the Leafs can afford to do it I see the Leafs going hard on fixing their defense and goaltending. My prediction is that the Leafs sign Nylander if they go deep in the playoffs and Nylander contributes to that success 

Just now, VegasCanuck said:

You need the lower paid depth guys who are really capable of eating up minutes, to go really deep in the playoffs. Also need to consider what Hronek is going to need to be extended as well.

I've built scenarios, if you subtracted Kuzmenko and Garland then added 2 more guys in the 11 - 12 million range, it gets REALLY tight.

My post address this and gives Joshua Blueger and Lafferty raises. 

I address Hronek in the original post as well.

Honestly I don't see the value of the 4-5 million dollar player in this league. Unless it is a defenseman 

Your top 6 should be your highest paid or on a ELC or bridge deal and your bottom 6 should make less then 3 mill each with your 11th 112th and 13th forwards under a mill.

14 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

My roster a little more clearer 

Mikheyev (4.75) EP40 ( 12 mill at 5 or more years) Nylander (10.5 mill for 7 years)

Joshua (2.5) Blueger (2.5) Lafferty (2.00) 

Giuseppe (.775) Suter (1.6) _________ ( pick a guy with a cap hit @ .915 or less)

Amen (.825)

Hughes (7.85) Hronek (8.00 mill I hope this is the highest possible # so I went with the highest possible #)

Hirose (.7875) Tanev( 3.00 mill for 3 years).

(1 of) Wolanin or Brisebois ( both have cap hits of .775) Juulsen (.775)

Demko (5.0)

Silovs (.800 2 years)

This Roster is cap complaint if the salary cap is 87.5 million next year

2 minutes ago, CanuckFanForever said:

My roster a little more clearer 

Mikheyev (4.75) EP40 ( 12 mill at 5 or more years) Nylander (10.5 mill for 7 years)

Joshua (2.5) Blueger (2.5) Lafferty (2.00) 

Giuseppe (.775) Suter (1.6) _________ ( pick a guy with a cap hit @ .915 or less)

Amen (.825)

Hirose (.7875) Tanev( 3.00 mill for 3 years).

(1 of) Wolanin or Brisebois ( both have cap hits of .775) Juulsen (.775)

Demko (5.0)

Silovs (.800 2 years)

This Roster is cap complaint if the salary cap is 87.5 million next year

Have you checked this with CapFriendly.com and accounted for 2.3+ in OEL cap penalty for next season?

I'm going to try building out your roster there and see if we can make it work....just as an experiment.

Edited by VegasCanuck

15 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Have you checked this with CapFriendly.com and accounted for 2.3+ in OEL cap penalty for next season?

I'm going to try building out your roster there and see if we can make it work....just as an experiment.

when you look at it in capfriendly does it not look like a Stanley Cup winning team