[SiGnInG] Hawks extend Foligno

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

At this rate, they may actually hit the cap floor next season...

Not hard to do if you simply overpay some of your players by a mil here or there lol

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

At this rate, they may actually hit the cap floor next season...

I can't play hockey but I'll happily take their money and run off to Robidas island..

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, Captain insano said:

They could have used that money to take on bad contracts and added draft picks and prospects….. end of the day tho foligno brings much more than just what’s on the ice, maybe they felt he was to valuable to the kids to see walk as a ufa 

I think he'll end up being their interim captain, Hawks fans seem to like him

Gotta have some sort of leadership in the room

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

26 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I think he'll end up being their interim captain, Hawks fans seem to like him

Gotta have some sort of leadership in the room

He is absolutely their next captain and Bedard's personal bodyguard.  His value to the team goes well beyond any kind of production he brings.

image.png.a4bc826f739cffb2d6b861b6549a9d4e.png

I wanted the Canucks to sign him last summer, but I thought we could get him for under $2M.  I was dead wrong about the numbers.

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

Foligno's an important piece for them. But that is a lot of money for a guy who's already 36 and really just a 3rd liner at this point.

A 3rd liner?  What are you talking about?  He's averaging over 17 minutes per game.  He plays first line with Connor Bedard. 

Coach Richardson: "Body punches only - no more broken fingers"

46 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

A 3rd liner?  What are you talking about?  He's averaging over 17 minutes per game.  He plays first line with Connor Bedard. 

Coach Richardson: "Body punches only - no more broken fingers"

He's playing top 6 minutes because Chicago literally has no one else and even still is on a 35 point pace (incidentally the same pace as Hoglander, Lafferty, and Suter).

Foligno is a strong leader, good defensively, and a very hard player to play against. But that doesn't change the fact that he's 36 now and really best suited to a 3rd line role. He also only averaged around 12:30 his last two seasons in Boston. I'd love to have a player like Foligno on the Canucks (we sort of do in Joshua) but not at $4.5M for two years when he's 36 years old.

Edit: even your WAR card says he's a 3rd liner

Edited by Diamonds

3 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

He's playing top 6 minutes because Chicago literally has no one else and even still is on a 35 point pace (incidentally the same pace as Hoglander, Lafferty, and Suter).

Foligno is a strong leader, good defensively, and a very hard player to play against. But that doesn't change the fact that he's 36 now and really best suited to a 3rd line role. He also only averaged around 12:30 his last two seasons in Boston. I'd love to have a player like Foligno on the Canucks (we sort of do in Joshua) but not at $4.5M for two years when he's 36 years old.

Well, Foligno is playing on a historically bad team that has tons of cap space to work with.  If I'm a rebuilding team, I'd have no problem overpaying veterans in the short term.

I get it.  On a great team (like Boston) he is 100% a bottom six gem.  But Chicago is truly a one-man team right now.  They need Foligno to play more and he's done a good enough to job to not only get an extension, but a raise.  I mean... he has to play with other scrubs too.  You try scoring goals with... Jason Dickinson and Joey Anderson as your linemates.  

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

It's fine to overpay a veteran while you are still rebuilidng/developing your young players. And a 2 year term isn't the same as a 4+ year term. They are expecting their next wave of prospects to come into the NHL next year or two, and they want a pro on the team to show them the ropes in this league. They overpay him because he will likely end his career without seeing the playoffs (even if the were to hold 50% of his salary and move him at the TDL 2 years from now, teams still may not budge as that's a $2.25 million cap hit for a 4th line player). His deal also set to expire the same year Bedard's ELC ends.

If the Canucks were to only overpay 1 veteran player back in 2016-2019, we would've been fine cap wise. But Benning decided to over commit on a whole list of player over 30 to 4+ year contracts.