"Free the Skate": The Canucks can and should choose the flying skate as its playoff home jersey

Playoff home jersey  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Playoff home jersey?

As much as I'd support anything Skate jersey related, for this one I'd have to say - unless they also bring back the white or (better yet) the yellow "home" Skate jerseys, having different jerseys and logos for home vs. away during the playoffs is kind of sketch.

Edited by 6of1_halfdozenofother
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

As much as I'd support anything Skate jersey related, for this one I'd have to say - unless they also bring back the white or (better yet) the yellow "home" Skate jerseys, having different jerseys and logos for home vs. away during the playoffs is kind of sketch.

And yet there are teams who have done it.  Not just colour scheme, but different logos.  Carolina did it.  Minnesota did it.  Washington did it.  Beyond that, people like the skate more anyways.

56 minutes ago, Jim McMahon said:

It would be nice if they re branded. But we all know how cheap the Aquilinis are. 

They don't even have to re-brand yet.  They've just been rocking the orca logo at center ice during flying skate games.  If we don't go deep, oh well.  It was a fun experiment.  But if we go deep... suddenly things can change.  The skate will have a new meaning to younger fans.  Aquilini will have brought in so much revenue off ticket/merch sales, he will have tons of cash to spend on a full re-brand.  Younger fans will love it.  OLDER fans will love it even more.

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

And yet there are teams who have done it.  Not just colour scheme, but different logos.  Carolina did it.  Minnesota did it.  Washington did it.  Beyond that, people like the skate more anyways.

They don't even have to re-brand yet.  They've just been rocking the orca logo at center ice during flying skate games.  If we don't go deep, oh well.  It was a fun experiment.  But if we go deep... suddenly things can change.  The skate will have a new meaning to younger fans.  Aquilini will have brought in so much revenue off ticket/merch sales, he will have tons of cash to spend on a full re-brand.  Younger fans will love it.  OLDER fans will love it even more.

The new seats coming in this summer will be black not blue.  Maybe there is something to that.  Everything else can be repainted and changed.  It’s not inconceivable that we change to the black red and yellow with the skate.  It could happen.  It would be a marketing bonanza actually.  

They could also incorporate the orca into the new jersey to keep it as a second logo, or they could add the stick and rink.  I think they would make some minor changes to the black jersey and then incorporate a white jersey as well.

The stick and rink could become the 3rd jersey like the one we had last year so then potentially the orca is gone forever…

EDIT:  I was thinking that Abby would also need to be changed I think.  Or not.  

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Vintage 2

18 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The new seats coming in this summer will be black not blue.  Maybe there is something to that.  Everything else can be repainted and changed.  It’s not inconceivable that we change to the black red and yellow with the skate.  It could happen.  It would be a marketing bonanza actually.  

They could also incorporate the orca into the new jersey to keep it as a second logo, or they could add the stick and rink.  I think they would make some minor changes to the black jersey and then incorporate a white jersey as well.

The stick and rink could become the 3rd jersey like the one we had last year so then potentially the orca is gone forever…

I mean, Utica changed its colours when they switched to the Devils.  The only thing they'd have to do is the jerseys, which is completely fine.  As for paint and stuff, I'm not sore the arena is even blue.  Hell... Rogers Arena definitely isn't blue!

• Cheers 1

58 minutes ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

I believe the correct terminology is down hill skate.

I mentioned this before on the old site, but the orientation of the skate is perfectly fine and anatomically correct.  If the skate were pointing its tip upwards, that would mean the skater is likely soon to be (if not already) flat on their ass.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

And yet there are teams who have done it.  Not just colour scheme, but different logos.  Carolina did it.  Minnesota did it.  Washington did it.

Doesn't make it any less sketch. :classic_laugh:

Maybe I'm just too sentimental, but I'd like to see them bring back the home yellows for a game.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I'm in the minority, but I'm team Orca.

Me too. I love the Skate don't get me wrong, but the blue Orca's will always be my favourite. A sea of blue in the playoffs goes so hard. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Pears said:

Me too. I love the Skate don't get me wrong, but the blue Orca's will always be my favourite. A sea of blue in the playoffs goes so hard. 

Usually it's the white towels that stick out

• Cheers 2

not unless they rebrand the ice and images around the stadium... most of the other teams alternative at the very least have the same logo.. or don't have a logo in some cases.. the canucks have a completely different logo the vibe in the arena is just different.. going into a home game with fans wearing different logo jerseys etc.. just doesn't feel right..and for those that were born outside of the skate jersey period.. they have like 0 attachment to that logo/jersey

2 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I'm in the minority, but I'm team Orca.

Think part of that, is enjoy what you grow up with.    The Aqua's actually grew up with the Skate.   Wasn't them who made the swap, that was Seattle's management group.     Hope it's the skate, for both sentimental reasons, and because it just looks boss, anyone who wears it looks great.     Seeing the "road" whites again, given they were our home uniforms, would be something a decade ago, would never think possible.     

If they intend to, or are thinking of doing this, the timing actually makes sense.   It's the first post Sedin era core' entering their primes.    The Orca would forever be remembered, for the an extended period,  success, based around the WCE era, and especially the Sedins.       

Wouldn't want a completely new look, already have a divisive enough fanbase in that regard, although it's not nearly as divisive as it was even a year ago.   Seeing the Skate back, at first it was just fun, now it's starting to work its way into the teams feel.   Tochett and the Skate, just looked right.    And fans who never got to see it, have warmed up to it a lot.   Yes there are Skate era fans, that prefer the Orca, that's fine too. 

Don't need or want to kill the Orca, or retire it either.   There is room for both.    For sure i'd be over the moon if they announced a change for the post season.    They'd surely do it justice.  

Orca would be forever immortalized and   linked to 3 guys and who have their banners hanging and numbers retired.    Keep fin.    

Don't think they have the balls.  Though ... If Tochett asks and that's what the players themselves want (Miller has hinted), hope they get the balls and go for it.    Tochett and Allvin have created something pretty special.   It would be a major win for the majority of the fanbase, to bring it back.    Can keep fin, put the Orca on the back burner .... they basically killed the skate.   Wouldn't want the same pain created back then, to happen to fans of the Orca.   And really, it's the team that can bring the holy grail back to Vancouver, this time as a statuesque trophy in comparison, that should become the permanent jersey.   Orca, Skate, SIR, V ... our jersey history is, rich, diverse, just like Vancouver and BC. 

Making the change, would signal the end of an era, and a start of a new one. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The way to do it, maybe is a clean break, but keep Fin.  And have the Orca immortalized somewhere in the arena.   From a merchandising viewpoint,  making a clean break will boost sales.    And create interest in the Orca over time.    After a decade or maybe more, then start pumping the Orca again slowly.    As a 3rd jersey.   By then the nostalgia for that will have grown somewhat.    Maybe 20 years even.    Seeing the ice painted with the Skate again for the first time in 25 or so years ... wouldn't that be something? 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

I'm team flying skate / plate of spaghetti all the way and I prefer the stick in rink over the Orca.  But I don't mind the Orca, despite it being #3 on the list.  Basically introduced to bring in the Messier era and stamp out the Linden era in one fell swoop...and then they stuck with it anyway.  At least it started to work properly when they basically used the stick in rink colors for it.

The team went to the finals twice in 15 or 20 years with the flying skate...and then once ever in 35ish years with everything else combined.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1