[Report] Elvis Merzļikins Requests Trade Amid Diminishing Role

Elvis Merzļikins Requests Trade Amid Diminishing Role

January 15th, 2024 at 7:57pm CST • By Gabriel Foley

Columbus Blue Jackets goaltender Elvis Merzļikins told the media after Monday’s game that he has requested a trade away from the team. Monday marks the first game that Merzļikins has played since December 29th – spending the last six games as either a backup or healthy scratch. He made 21 saves en route to a 4-3 shootout victory.

Merzļikins has become the third goaltender on Columbus’ depth chart, with Daniil Tarasov and Spencer Martin both receiving starts over Merzļikins. The Blue Jackets haven’t proven any more successful with the goalie changes, going 1-3-2 in the games Merzļikins sat out. It’s led Columbus to a dismal 13-21-9 start to the season, a record that ranks them 28th in the NHL.

This trade request could mark the end of what has been a heartwarming story for Merzļikins in Columbus. The 29-year-old became just the third Latvian goaltender to be drafted into the NHL when the Blue Jackets took him in the third round of the 2014 NHL Draft – the same round that saw Warren Foegele, Ilya Sorokin, and Brayden Point be selected. Of the two Latvians to be selected before Merzļikins, only one had played significant NHL time: 568-game veteran Artūrs Irbe. Merzļikins, who has played in 173 games since his NHL debut in 2019-20, now ranks second in games played among Latvian netminders behind only Irbe – surpassing undrafted netminder Pēteris Skudra, the only other to play in more than 100 games.

Columbus has allowed more goals than any team other than the San Jose Sharks this season – but despite it, Merzļikins has still found a way to have a productive year, setting an 8-8-6 record and .906 save percentage through 24 games. He’s back to maintaining a save percentage over .900, a feat he managed in each of his first three seasons but lost with a .876 save percentage in 30 games last year. Merzļikins’ rebound back to form sets him up to be an attractive trade option for teams in need of goaltending help but without the assets to acquire a top name like John Gibson or Jacob Markstrom. But any recipient would need to have cap space, as Merzlikins carries a $5.4MM cap hit over the next four seasons, making him the 11th-most expensive goaltender in the league. There’s also the question of what Columbus would want in return for a goaltender who has become the fifth-most frequent in club history. Regardless, this move brings an exciting spark to the looming March 8th Trade Deadline.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2024/01/elvis-merzlikins-requests-trade-amid-diminishing-role.html#ref=home

Lol sounds like he has a monster-sized desire to get out of Columbus.
‘I’m pulling the monster out of me’: Merzlikins sounds off on trade request after beating Canucks - CanucksArmy

With his stat line and with how many number 1's are struggling around the league with similar totals, I'm not sure if other teams would readily take a swing at him taking over their crease.  Of course playing behind Columbus likely doesn't help, but some other teams are already set in terms of a current starter (BOS/ FLA/ TOR/ TB/ NYR/ PHI/ NYI/ maybe NJ with Daws/ PIT/ WSH with Lindgren/ most of the Pacific, maybe besides ANA/ most of the Central besides maybe MIN and CHI) so unless he's down to join a platoon like in DET/ MTL/ BUF/ MIN, trying to overtake his former teammate in Korpisalo in OTT or take over for Raanta in Carolina, I'm not sure what new opportunities and expanded role he'd get.

Maybe Carolina trades Raanta for him?

Edited by Phil_314

1 hour ago, PureQuickness said:

We don't have room for him, otherwise he'd be a great mentor for our very own Silovs.

Silovs beat him out for starter at the world's. Elvis don't want that smoke!

Edited by Coryberg
  • Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

Lol sounds like he has a monster-sized desire to get out of Columbus.
‘I’m pulling the monster out of me’: Merzlikins sounds off on trade request after beating Canucks - CanucksArmy

With his stat line and with how many number 1's are struggling around the league with similar totals, I'm not sure if other teams would readily take a swing at him taking over their crease.  Of course playing behind Columbus likely doesn't help, but some other teams are already set in terms of a current starter (BOS/ FLA/ TOR/ TB/ NYR/ PHI/ NYI/ maybe NJ with Daws/ PIT/ WSH with Lindgren/ most of the Pacific, maybe besides ANA/ most of the Central besides maybe MIN and CHI) so unless he's down to join a platoon like in DET/ MTL/ BUF/ MIN, trying to overtake his former teammate in Korpisalo in OTT or take over for Raanta in Carolina, I'm not sure what new opportunities and expanded role he'd get.

Maybe Carolina trades Raanta for him?

Why? Didn't he just win the cup with them yesterday?

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Why? Didn't he just win the cup with them yesterday?

Yup lol, he was living out his own Hall of Fame induction, Ring of Honor, statue raised, jersey retirement... the whole shebang!