(Proposal) Second Line

With less than two months (March 9) from the trade deadline. Our second line has not performed compared to the other three lines. In the last road trip (7 games) they were the only line not to score.

The Lotto line is working so well that it would be hard to break them up while they are doing great.

Kuzmenko needs to start producing. If the Canucks trade him now, they would be selling low. Hence my thoughts of actually not trading him but help him to succeed (with different players... not only how he is utilized).

He and the second line were utilized mostly in the offensive zone but still were insufficient in tallying points. 

Suter has been productive on other lines but not on this one. A change of wingers might help this line (again, while no trades have been done). 

My proposal is, while no trades are being done yet, to recall one of Podkolzin, Bains or Karlsson.

Podkolzin has been performing well in Abbotsford (4pts in the last 5 games). He has 20pts in 27 games this season. He would add some grit to that second line. He is tenacious on the forecheck. A trial of Podkolzin, Suter and Kuzmenko would be worthwhile. 

Bains has had 33pts in 32 games and has been defensively responsible. He plays the power play and penalty kill. He even has a shorthanded goal. He has earned the right to be called up for an audition. What better time to do an audition than 2 months before the trade deadline and with the Canucks in first place?

Karlsson is the least sexy trial. Hindsight tells me that should've had some time in the Columbus game. He has 24pts in 26 games.

Trying one of these guys now would allow the management group to assess what they have and know whether a big trade or small trades are required moving forward. It just guves them time to not make a hasty decision.

At the end of the day, I totally tryst whatever moves Allvin will make. He hasn't given me any reason to doubt his moves.

• Thanks 1

Columbus has around $6 in cap space, and a plethora of Cs

Fantilli - off the table

Johnson - off the table

Jenner (currently on IR)

Roslovic

Kuraly

Texier

Sillinger

I think Voronkov might also play C.

Seems to me Columbus could be a good trade partner. Any chance Roslovic or Sillinger can be had?

I would not be surprised to see Bains or Podkolzin get a couple of looks in the Orca jersey before the end of this season.  I am not sure if they will get thrown into a 2nd line position right away.  Tocchet does not strike me as the risk-taking type of coach.  Because that is what this is - throwing two AHLers into a top six position on a top-tier team is indeed a risk.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nucker67 said:

Fantilli - off the table

Johnson - off the table

Jenner (currently on IR)

Roslovic

Kuraly

Texier

Sillinger

Seems to me Columbus could be a good trade partner. Any chance Roslovic or Sillinger can be had?

Are those guys needle movers? Are they cheap? Would Columbus trade 'em?

32 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

I would not be surprised to see Bains or Podkolzin get a couple of looks in the Orca jersey before the end of this season.  I am not sure if they will get thrown into a 2nd line position right away.  Tocchet does not strike me as the risk-taking type of coach.  Because that is what this is - throwing two AHLers into a top six position on a top-tier team is indeed a risk.

That'd be cool. Nothing against Pods, but a look see of Bains would be cool. Like a couple of games at least!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

If Podkolzin or Bains come up certainly they will be put on the 4th line and Hoglander would move up to the 2nd line.  If Kuzmenko is traded that could be a scenario...

9 hours ago, Nucker67 said:

Fantilli - off the table

Johnson - off the table

Jenner (currently on IR)

Roslovic

Kuraly

Texier

Sillinger

Man, that isn't alot of cap space to be honest.  I mean a Big Mac is $8 now...   😊

• Haha 3

On 1/17/2024 at 5:02 PM, Nucker67 said:

Fantilli - off the table

Johnson - off the table

Jenner (currently on IR)

Roslovic

Kuraly

Texier

Sillinger

IMHO the Nuxs should try and grab Boone Jenner and Sean Kuraly. Both character guys with size and experience. 

It's been widely discussed with regards to acquiring Jenner, however Kuraly would be a value add.

Jenner fits our cap structure as well as a timeline for contention (3 years.)