Paranormal/Metaphysics/Hauntings/Spirituality

Just thought I'd start a new thread here:  watching too much Haunting documentaries I guess.

There is a lot of visual and anecdotal evidence of "ghosts" it seems.  If the idea of a ghost exists, what is it?  Energy?  Two earthy dimensions occuring at once?  Are we ghosts to another dimension?  A literal lost soul trapped here on Earth?  (If it's literally a trapped soul, does that count as evidence as life after death?).   Do only certain people have the capacity to tap into a ghost energy?   Does negative energy (from murders/suicides/etc) literally get trapped in walls, buildings, and structures and come across as ghostly hauntings? 

I imagine with 7 billion people here on earth, there is some degree of random genetic makeups that have people more genetically wired to "tune into" different energies? 

Thoughts?

It's quantum mechanics man. Strange action at a distance. And if you trace a path through 4-dimensional space-time, it will inevitably cross over itself for an instant.

I think there's enough mystery in actual physics that I don't see a need for metaphysics. Science is awesome.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

While I’ve never seen or felt ghosts, I’ve talked to enough people who would swear they have. As long as the ghosts aren’t contributing more to global warming, etc., I think we should just let them do their thing. Although I don’t mind Ghostbuster either.. a person has to work after all. Who ya gonna call?

GIF by Ghostbusters

I actually do believe some paranormal stuff can exist. We still know so little about our own brains that what may seems like "special powers" could be a thing. We don't actually know what happens after death outside of our bodies decaying, although certain religions will tell you they know. So ghosts I could see existing. The real question would be whether or not they exist within the same context that we think of them existing?

Edited by The Lock

I believe there is a scientific explination for this but it is one of a few strange things that have happened in my life.

Right after grad my best friend moved to Australia. He planned to stay there for good.

We didnt have cell phones or internet back then. So, we talked every once in a while on the phone but not often.

I was having a vivid dream one night. I was driving. I was following a car, in the back seat was my friend. In real life we had not spoken for a few months. In the dream I was stoked because he was obviously supposed to be in Aus. He was waving to me from the other vehicle. That car crashed, bad. I panicked, pulled over, and ran to save my friend. 

When I got there he was climbing half way out of the back seat, and smiling. I was helping him out as he turned to me and said " I'm coming home!", it seemed weird, why was he yelling? and I could now hear a ringing... what did he mean he's coming home? he's right here in front of me, my dream-self thought...more ringing.. "I'm coming home man!" he said again....more ringing...

I awoke. The ringing had been my teen landline telephone that I had in my room. It was 3am. I was soo groggy. "Hello", I mumbled. "Yo man! it's me!" I heard my friend yell in that far away voice that some long distance connections can sound like. I started to try to quickly tell him about the wild dream, I wanted to tell him that he was in it and how wierd it was that he is calling. He cut me off...  "I'm coming home!" he yelled.... " I'm coming home!"

I somehow, after not speaking to him for months, had a dream about him and what he was about to say the moment he was calling me in the middle of the night.

I had not dreamed about him before, or even thought about him much at all around the time of the call.  It was not a coincidence. 

How did I 'hear' him in my dream just a few seconds before he yelled the same words to me on the phone?

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Cheers 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/28/2024 at 7:14 PM, bishopshodan said:

I believe there is a scientific explination for this but it is one of a few strange things that have happened in my life.

Right after grad my best friend moved to Australia. He planned to stay there for good.

We didnt have cell phones or internet back then. So, we talked every once in a while on the phone but not often.

I was having a vivid dream one night. I was driving. I was following a car, in the back seat was my friend. In real life we had not spoken for a few months. In the dream I was stoked because he was obviously supposed to be in Aus. He was waving to me from the other vehicle. That car crashed, bad. I panicked, pulled over, and ran to save my friend. 

When I got there he was climbing half way out of the back seat, and smiling. I was helping him out as he turned to me and said " I'm coming home!", it seemed weird, why was he yelling? and I could now hear a ringing... what did he mean he's coming home? he's right here in front of me, my dream-self thought...more ringing.. "I'm coming home man!" he said again....more ringing...

I awoke. The ringing had been my teen landline telephone that I had in my room. It was 3am. I was soo groggy. "Hello", I mumbled. "Yo man! it's me!" I heard my friend yell in that far away voice that some long distance connections can sound like. I started to try to quickly tell him about the wild dream, I wanted to tell him that he was in it and how wierd it was that he is calling. He cut me off...  "I'm coming home!" he yelled.... " I'm coming home!"

I somehow, after not speaking to him for months, had a dream about him and what he was about to say the moment he was calling me in the middle of the night.

I had not dreamed about him before, or even thought about him much at all around the time of the call.  It was not a coincidence. 

How did I 'hear' him in my dream just a few seconds before he yelled the same words to me on the phone?

You probably won't agree with my answer, because it is premised on this anecdote rather than science: When i nod off for a moment watching a show or something with my wife, she will wake me up often just telling me to go to bed if i am gonna fall asleep...but several times I nod off for what she says is a moment, and in that moment I have like an 8 hour long dream. So rich in detail and travel and stuff happening that I can relate to my wife when she wakes me up, and she says "what are you talking about, you only feel asleep like a minute ago!

So my take on your story is this. You talk to your Aussie buddy via your teen line in your room, they have their own numbers back in the day so the main phones wouldn't ring, to catch up those not familiar with land lines. A few months goes by and you have not heard from your friend, and then at 3am your teen line rings: you are asleep and your subconscious is trying to decide if you need to be awake for this noisey event of the phone ringing at 3am. Maybe someone was in an accident and it is an emergency, maybe it is your friend who wouldn't necessarily be mindful of the timezone difference between Aus and Here. In a few seconds your brain cobbles together 'car accident' and 'that aussie guy' and why would he call at this hour? Something exciting maybe: oh he is coming home. Thus your dream. Then waking and taking the call and your subconscious was right!

that is how I view it anyways. I don't believe in ghosts, and more to it, for the original poster asking questions about it: if there are 7 or 8 billion of us now, how many lived in all of history? Did our ancestors who were not modern humans get to have ghosts too or just the prototypical human as we have been for 190,000 years? Do animals get to have 'ghosts' too? If so that is another trillion or so possible ghosts..you  get where I am heading I am sure: if ghosts are real, and if every living evolving creature leaves a ghost upon its demise, we would be so oversaturated with ghosts on earth that even the least paranormally active person would never get a moments rest from the cacaphony of spooky interactions. Therefore ghosts do not exist; what may exist is something you can't explain in the moment you experience it. Shrug.

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Optimist Prime said:

You probably won't agree with my answer, because it is premised on this anecdote rather than science: When i nod off for a moment watching a show or something with my wife, she will wake me up often just telling me to go to bed if i am gonna fall asleep...but several times I nod off for what she says is a moment, and in that moment I have like an 8 hour long dream. So rich in detail and travel and stuff happening that I can relate to my wife when she wakes me up, and she says "what are you talking about, you only feel asleep like a minute ago!

So my take on your story is this. You talk to your Aussie buddy via your teen line in your room, they have their own numbers back in the day so the main phones wouldn't ring, to catch up those not familiar with land lines. A few months goes by and you have not heard from your friend, and then at 3am your teen line rings: you are asleep and your subconscious is trying to decide if you need to be awake for this noisey event of the phone ringing at 3am. Maybe someone was in an accident and it is an emergency, maybe it is your friend who wouldn't necessarily be mindful of the timezone difference between Aus and Here. In a few seconds your brain cobbles together 'car accident' and 'that aussie guy' and why would he call at this hour? Something exciting maybe: oh he is coming home. Thus your dream. Then waking and taking the call and your subconscious was right!

that is how I view it anyways. I don't believe in ghosts, and more to it, for the original poster asking questions about it: if there are 7 or 8 billion of us now, how many lived in all of history? Did our ancestors who were not modern humans get to have ghosts too or just the prototypical human as we have been for 190,000 years? Do animals get to have 'ghosts' too? If so that is another trillion or so possible ghosts..you  get where I am heading I am sure: if ghosts are real, and if every living evolving creature leaves a ghost upon its demise, we would be so oversaturated with ghosts on earth that even the least paranormally active person would never get a moments rest from the cacaphony of spooky interactions. Therefore ghosts do not exist; what may exist is something you can't explain in the moment you experience it. Shrug.

Love your thought about it. Very smart. Thank you for your reply.

That could make sense. The only thing that feels twilight zone still for me is the way and what he said on the phone, It sounded just like the dream. Identical

I hear you about dreams ....I suffer from sleep paralysis, had it so bad when I was young they called it night terrors, by the time I was a young adult I thought I was maybe a bit cray cray. Then I heard it was an actual condition, discoved mary jane and havent had to deal with it too much since my 20's. It's very scary.

On ghosts....i wish they were a thing..could you imagine? I would be happy for the rest of my life.

Seeing a ghost means there is something after death. That's kinda a big worry or at least question about life, isnt it?...the whole dying part..

2 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Love your thought about it. Very smart. Thank you for your reply.

That could make sense. The only thing that feels twilight zone still for me is the way and what he said on the phone, It sounded just like the dream. Identical

I hear you about dreams ....I suffer from sleep paralysis, had it so bad when I was young they called it night terrors, by the time I was a young adult I thought I was maybe a bit cray cray. Then I heard it was an actual condition, discoved mary jane and havent had to deal with it too much since my 20's. It's very scary.

On ghosts....i wish they were a thing..could you imagine? I would be happy for the rest of my life.

Seeing a ghost means there is something after death. That's kinda a big worry or at least question about life, isnt it?...the whole dying part..

Only the physical body passes. I did a session with a medium who did sessions on the side for friends and family. Her day job was working for Pink Floyd in the video department. After meditating she could communicate with the passed. In the session she communicated with people I knew who had passed and she passed on messages, that there was absolutely no way she could of known about me or them as I was just a friend of her sister and she never met the people who passed. Even down to the name of my recently passed friends dog that he had when I first met him 30+ years ago. I had forgotten all about the dog. That was just one example. She had me sold. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

• 2 weeks later...

I remember a unusual happening in Coles Book store in a small mall: I was 15 or so at the time.  I was looking at a book about Wican - an "old TV stereotypical" lady came up to me and said, "beware, there's power in that book".  I put it down, looked behind me, and she was gone.  I quickly walked through the store (maybe 2000 sq feet) and she was nowhere to be seen.

Or, maybe my teenage body wasn't really that fast at all   lol

The Ancient Babylonians used to write about ghosts.  As did the Ancient Greeks after them and the ancient Romans after them.

I only have 2 personal stories from when I was young, 3 if we're counting dreams, but I can plausibly explain away all of them enough to form doubt.  

As for whether I believe in them or not, I won't ever say definitively no.  I prefer to stay open minded about most things.

Although it makes me sad to think that there may be such a thing as intelligent ghosts.  I do believe in an afterlife and I would rather not spend it as a spirit stuck here.  I would have to pity any soul that found him or herself in such a predicament.

On 2/12/2024 at 9:01 PM, Spur1 said:

Only the physical body passes. I did a session with a medium who did sessions on the side for friends and family. Her day job was working for Pink Floyd in the video department. After meditating she could communicate with the passed. In the session she communicated with people I knew who had passed and she passed on messages, that there was absolutely no way she could of known about me or them as I was just a friend of her sister and she never met the people who passed. Even down to the name of my recently passed friends dog that he had when I first met him 30+ years ago. I had forgotten all about the dog. That was just one example. She had me sold. 

was the dogs name ..." i am getting SSSS (looks at your facial ques) ssssomething like a hard consonent KKK (checks again) Ttt... J (your eye twinkles) Jerry? (your pupils dilate) Jerry? Was the dogs name Jerry?"

and you go off amazed at the insight. 

16 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

The Ancient Babylonians used to write about ghosts.  As did the Ancient Greeks after them and the ancient Romans after them.

I only have 2 personal stories from when I was young, 3 if we're counting dreams, but I can plausibly explain away all of them enough to form doubt.  

As for whether I believe in them or not, I won't ever say definitively no.  I prefer to stay open minded about most things.

Although it makes me sad to think that there may be such a thing as intelligent ghosts.  I do believe in an afterlife and I would rather not spend it as a spirit stuck here.  I would have to pity any soul that found him or herself in such a predicament.

One of the closest things to a ghost I ever saw was my gran, multiple times.... but she was still alive.

That makes sense, right?

We lived in an huge old farm house in England when I was little. My dad used to say it was 300 years old, my dad used to also exaggerate but it was fricking old. 

As I have mentioned I am an olymipic level dreamer. I have quite a few strange stories about that, maybe will tell more as this thread goes on.

So, my bedroom was a long creaky hallway away from my parents room. I would often have bad dreams which would inspire me to head to my parents bed for the rest of the night. 

Here's the weird thing...in the darkness, on the regular, I would see my gran standing in the hallway. I remember the first few times slowly approaching, wondering why she would be standing in the dark saying nothing. She lived next door, it was the middle of the night, what was she doing? When I got really close , she would dissipate...

I got so used to it that I would kinda just duck and run through the vision. I cleary remember ghost gran trying to hug me as I passed right through her. 

Never happened after we moved to Canada. As I got older, I thought maybe she was out on lucid/astral walkabout while she slept. Maybe that my young dream filled mind could 'see' her.

• Cheers 2

And here is my one simple..maybe...ghost story.

Not too long ago I lived near mountain view cemetery. I used to go for my runs there. It is beautiful, has been in movies.

One time I was locked out of my house, so as I waited for my wife to come home I went for a walk around the graveyard. Speaking of movies, this night was perfect. It was getting dark and the fog had rolled in. It looked like scence from classic horror flicks. I am a confident dude, I dont get spooked, so I smiled as walked through this amazing environment. Many people used to walk their dogs thier dogs there too. A mid-size dog came trotting towards me from out of the fog, I thought...'hmm, off leash, where is the dumb owner?'...He was about 10 ft away, I started to lean forward and said something like ' hey, fella'...he striaght up disappeared...kinda just became fog...I am not kidding, I remember saying out loud " damn. ghost". There was nobody around, no dog, no owner. And thats the story.

I had actaully forgotten about it. My eyes, the fog, playing tricks on me?  It was kinda cute. 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Optimist Prime said:

was the dogs name ..." i am getting SSSS (looks at your facial ques) ssssomething like a hard consonent KKK (checks again) Ttt... J (your eye twinkles) Jerry? (your pupils dilate) Jerry? Was the dogs name Jerry?"

and you go off amazed at the insight. 

Not how it went down. There were no questions asked by her. 

1 hour ago, Spur1 said:

Not how it went down. There were no questions asked by her. 

shrug, just a guess. Could she replicate it say on video tape with a random subject I provide? I don't think so or we would have evidence of the things she claims to be able to do. Currently we have zero evidence of the things psychics claim to be able to do.

5 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

And here is my one simple..maybe...ghost story.

Not too long ago I lived near mountain view cemetery. I used to go for my runs there. It is beautiful, has been in movies.

One time I was locked out of my house, so as I waited for my wife to come home I went for a walk around the graveyard. Speaking of movies, this night was perfect. It was getting dark and the fog had rolled in. It looked like scence from classic horror flicks. I am a confident dude, I dont get spooked, so I smiled as walked through this amazing environment. Many people used to walk their dogs thier dogs there too. A mid-size dog came trotting towards me from out of the fog, I thought...'hmm, off leash, where is the dumb owner?'...He was about 10 ft away, I started to lean forward and said something like ' hey, fella'...he striaght up disappeared...kinda just became fog...I am not kidding, I remember saying out loud " damn. ghost". There was nobody around, no dog, no owner. And thats the story.

I had actaully forgotten about it. My eyes, the fog, playing tricks on me?  It was kinda cute. 

I hope you really did see what you think you saw, it would be awesome. I've been in the room three different times when someone died, didn't see or feel anything. 

• Cheers 1