Contract dilemma this summer

This summer looks to be one of the busiest this off season for our front office. 
Our RFA:

*Pettersson
*Hronek

Our UFA: 

*Joshua

*Bluegar

*Lafferty

*Myers

*Zadorav

*Cole

*Desmith 

Lots of key pieces at every position. 
Players that I think will be poached by other teams include Joshua, Bluegar, Zadorav, Desmith due to their play this season and they’re looking at raises which we may not have money to retain all of them. I think we re-sign at least 2 of these 4. 

I think the Canucks are unlikely to sign Lafferty, Myers, Cole.

Is anyone else concerned with the number of key UFA/RFA we have? We’ve been awfully quiet in getting contracts signed and the more the season plays on the more some of these players are playing themselves out of our price range. What do you think the hold up is? Front office waiting for the big domino’s in Petey and Hronek to fall first or is the front office waiting to see how this team does till the end of the season/playoffs? 

• ThereItIs 1

In a manner of speaking... this season has not gone the way management probably expected.  As such, any attempts to re-sign players has probably been put on hold until they can better assess where this team is at. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, CanuckMan said:

Is anyone else concerned with the number of key UFA/RFA we have? We’ve been awfully quiet in getting contracts signed and the more the season plays on the more some of these players are playing themselves out of our price range. What do you think the hold up is? Front office waiting for the big domino’s in Petey and Hronek to fall first or is the front office waiting to see how this team does till the end of the season/playoffs? 

There is a pecking order, starting w EP.  The lack of progress tho might be a bit frustrating for Allvin.  

Nonetheless, turnover is a natural part of success. Players dont often get the chance to cash in and their careers are finite.  So Canucks likely lose a handful of their pending free agents.  

I just hope Bluegar loves it here and gets re-signed.  I like what Joshua has shown this year too but I often wonder how disciplined he is once he cashes in.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, CanuckMan said:

This summer looks to be one of the busiest this off season for our front office. 
Our RFA:

*Pettersson
*Hronek

Our UFA: 

*Joshua

*Bluegar

*Lafferty

*Myers

*Zadorav

*Cole

*Desmith 

Players that I think will be poached by other teams include Joshua, Bluegar, Zadorav, Desmith due to their play this season and they’re looking at raises which we may not have money to retain all of them. I think we re-sign at least 2 of these 4. 

We have a great club with the best core in the league. We are winning the Cup this spring. That’s what matters. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Why do you think Lafferty is gone? 

No particular reason to be honest but be just seems the most expendable out of that group. Toch seems to like Joshua/Bluegar I think he’d hate to lose those 2 over Lafferty 

• Cheers 2

My take:

Hold off on these 3:
-Myers 6M
-Cole 3M
-Friedman 775,000
(almost 9.75M)
(Trade Mik 4.75)

Total  14.5M

Petie +4M
Zad +1M
Josh +1.4M
Blu +1M
Sam +1M

(renegotiate)

-Cole for 2M
-Myer's for 2.75M

Total 13.15M

(Add Wolanin)

(If we keep Mik we lose Myers)

I'm not in favor of trading Kuz

We may have to sacrifice Mik for two of the GarLine and Sammy

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CanuckMan said:

No particular reason to be honest but be just seems the most expendable out of that group. Toch seems to like Joshua/Bluegar I think he’d hate to lose those 2 over Lafferty 

Cheers...

I think Tocchet likes Laffy too...

he his with a vengence and are brilliant on the forecheck...

And at $1.1M he may be affordable on his next contract. 
I think they'll struggle to find money for Joshuas next contract. Especially if they plan on keeping Zad. 
They can only afford so many higher payed bottom 6 fwds and bottom 4 pairing dmen, with Peteys and Hroneks next contracts + cap penalties. 

6 hours ago, CanuckMan said:

Our RFA:

*Pettersson
*Hronek

Our UFA: 

*Joshua

*Bluegar

*Lafferty

*Myers

*Zadorav

*Cole

*Desmith 

Yea. I'm concerned but at the same time, to coin a phrase....it is what it is. Ain't nuttin' y'all can do 'bout it. 

- I think Management is gonna work on our RFA's Petey and Hronek  (Does Hronek have a nick name? Uhhh....erm..........Horny?!?!?!??😉😀. Yes. I'm joking!) for sure. To me that's a given.

- I'd like for them to try and keep Daks and Bluegar. You know; with Garly to keep that 3rd line together. Their chemistry will endure the test of time. Or at least for as long as they're Canucks!

Everyone else mentioned above more than likely, as far as management sees it, are are somewhat expendable.  Yea. Even Zads and DeSmith

All of Zadorav, Desmith, Lafferty, Myers, Cole; because of how they played thus far this season and probably the rest of the season. (Playoffs included.) These guys are  valuable trade chips that can net us players that can compliment our core and future projected NHL prospects (D-Petey, Willander, Leks, Karlsson, Baines, Podz, Silovs....) for strong contention for the next few years.

I'd like for us to keep Zads and DeSmith for sure. why not. They'd figure in that future for sure. And for the short term for some crazy reason, I like Cole's vet presence with us. He's a great interview and seems to have a grasp of how the game 's played. Can always have that kind of guy around the locker room. 

4 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

In a manner of speaking... this season has not gone the way management probably expected.  As such, any attempts to re-sign players has probably been put on hold until they can better assess where this team is at. 

How so?!?!?!?? As in, they didn't expect to to be this good?

Yea. After this season and after how things looks in the playoffs, they'll make adjustments as needed. I'm confident that they'll keep it real.

Go Canucks Go!!!!!

Edited by Sativika

Yup, in other words, let's see who performs in the playoffs. 

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 2

Yes.  And the post season matters.   Don't see why they should be in a rush.  

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Your reply came in while I was posting ^^

Feel the same way.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Maybe we should get a room?

The OP is right though, Allvins going to be a busy man this off season (and before too I think).    If anything, believe he's going to be working on a Kuzmenko change.    That's another horse to beat.    Not  worrying about what he's going to do anymore.   That Beau and Zadarov thing, plus the Horvat and Hronek thing, and all the players he brought in to fill out the roster last summer makes it a lot easier as a fan.    

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

The OP is right though, Allvins going to be a busy man this off season (and before too I think).    If anything, believe he's going to be working on a Kuzmenko change.    That's another horse to beat.    Not  worrying about what he's going to do anymore.   That Beau and Zadarov thing, plus the Horvat and Hronek thing, and all the players he brought in to fill out the roster last summer makes it a lot easier as a fan.    

I only stay in Fairmonts hahaha

If Kuz is moved for a cheaper replacement, we might be able to keep most of our guys.  That's assuming Petey is happy taking $12m AAV.  Gonna have to run a spreadsheet later today lol

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple of extensions in the next 10 days, Teddy and Z.

I think some of the decisions made will take into account who we have ready to make the jump from the AHL. Bains and Podz for sure and maybe Karlsson. Wingers such as Joshua and Lafferty I suspect will be gone for these cheaper replacements. We really don't have anyone on D who is ready to make the jump beyond depth. 

Hoglander Miller Boeser

Kuzmenko Pete Mikheyev

Bains Suter Garland

Podkolzin Aman Karlsson

Raty/PDG

Hughes    Tanev

Soucy       Hronek

Zadorov   Myers

Wolanin Juulson

As good as Blueger has been centring that thirst line, Suter was also doing great there prior to his injury. I suspect he could slide into that line if we let go Blueger.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AK-19 said:

I think some of the decisions made will take into account who we have ready to make the jump from the AHL. Bains and Podz for sure and maybe Karlsson. Wingers such as Joshua and Lafferty I suspect will be gone for these cheaper replacements. We really don't have anyone on D who is ready to make the jump beyond depth. 

Hoglander Miller Boeser

Kuzmenko Pete Mikheyev

Bains Suter Garland

Podkolzin Aman Karlsson

Raty/PDG

Hughes    Tanev

Soucy       Hronek

Zadorov   Myers

Wolanin Juulson

As good as Blueger has been centring that thirst line, Suter was also doing great there prior to his injury. I suspect he could slide into that line if we let go Blueger.

Watching Podz this year developing in Abby and we can see he could play Joshua’s minutes 5 on 5. He’s a heavy player and is learning how to fight too. Bains looks good too, but not as heavy to play against. But both will likely be on the big club for our Cup run this spring and then full time next year. 

• Cheers 1

There's not much dilemma. Myers will be gone, Cole likely gone (unless we don't pick up a Tanev or similar UFA, or trade this summer)... And hate to break it to folks but Garland is likely out as well to help cover raises, upgrade D etc.

Hoglander replaces Garland on the third line, most everyone else is back (plus new RHD) and you backfill with some mix of Podz/Bains/Karlsson at F.

Everybody can just calm the hell down, management's got this.

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

18 minutes ago, aGENT said:

There's not much dilemma. Myers will be gone, Cole likely gone (unless we don't pick up a Tanev or similar UFA, or trade this summer)... And hate to break it to folks but Garland is likely out as well to help cover raises, upgrade D etc.

Hoglander replaces Garland on the third line, most everyone else is back (plus new RHD) and you backfill with some mix of Podz/Bains/Karlsson at F.

Yep, cap isn't as bad as it's been. It's nearly "unraveled" as JR says.

• Cheers 1

It fees good to say this, but I trust management completely that they will make the right decisions and negotiate good deals. If the UFAs are asking for too much I expect them to let them go and find fitting replacements in FA. Changes will come but it's nice to have a management group that is more than qualified to make them.  

• Cheers 3

25 minutes ago, aGENT said:

You'd expect one of Garland, Mikheyev and Kuzmenko to be traded in the off-season. Also think they have the depth to let the lower end UFAs go if they are asking for too much or they run out of room. We're actually in a great position to improve over the off-season with more shrewd moves from Allvin

• Cheers 1