Elias Lindholm | #23 | C/W

Big news!  Lindholm, at his best would be a really good add who helps the Canucks in terms of defensive play and PK and would greatly improve the depth up front.   He's a solid 2C who is very good on the dot.  Playing with good players, he's good offensively as well.

The price was high, very high if he isn't re-signed but really won't hurt the Canucks in the long term.  A low 1st round pick in a year when there is no 2nd either is not great but this is an all in move.  Brzustewicz is a nice looking prospect to give up but defense is no longer the black hole it was a couple of seasons ago.  Cap-wise, they're a little better for the remainder of the season and for next season, Lindholm is going to want a raise.  Show us what you can do kid.

The Canucks suddenly look good up front, not missing a piece or 2.

• Cheers 1

• -AJ- changed the title to Elias Lindholm | #? | C/W
1 hour ago, Crabcakes said:

Big news!  Lindholm, at his best would be a really good add who helps the Canucks in terms of defensive play and PK and would greatly improve the depth up front.   He's a solid 2C who is very good on the dot.  Playing with good players, he's good offensively as well.

The price was high, very high if he isn't re-signed but really won't hurt the Canucks in the long term.  A low 1st round pick in a year when there is no 2nd either is not great but this is an all in move.  Brzustewicz is a nice looking prospect to give up but defense is no longer the black hole it was a couple of seasons ago.  Cap-wise, they're a little better for the remainder of the season and for next season, Lindholm is going to want a raise.  Show us what you can do kid.

It's a win win for the Canucks, if they don't resign him then they've got 5.5 mill to work with in cap space.  They might need that cap space to get all the resignings they need to make. 

Edited by Pure961089
  • Like 1

Great move by PA. We get Calgary's best forward, their only all-star, and a guy who when matched with elite talent plays at their level. So, a running mate for Petey, exactly what I've been advocating for. I'm sad that we moved Kuzi, but I fear he was never going to get it here, and this ends all the drama surrounding him and Tocchet. Also, his 39-goal season was something of a career aberration. If you look at his KHL numbers, he was never a big goal scorer, he was more of a playmaker. The two D-men we moved out, Jurmo was never going to play in the NHL, and although Brzustewicz is having a breakout season in Kitchener, I remind you that Jett Woo was a ppg player his last year in Moose Jaw thanks much to his deployment on a very good PP; an accomplishment he has never come close to repeating in the A. Big numbers in Junior do not always translate to offense as a pro. Arshdeep Baines, a big-time scorer in the WHL has completely changed his game to find a role in Abby. The first-round pick we moved is more like a high 2nd round pick, so likely a depth player, because at that point in the draft, it's kind of a crap shoot as to whether you get a player who turns into a productive NHLer. Mostly I'm thrilled that we didn't part ways with any current Canucks on either team. Hogs is on pace for 20+ goals this season playing a key 4th-line role, if he earns an expanded role next year, will he threaten 30 goals? At his age, he's just getting started, and he's reportedly popular with his teammates. I could see him sliding onto L3 if we find a trading partner for Garland this coming summer. Pods is developing well in Abby and will hopefully force his way into the top six next fall. 

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

Think this is a big big win for us letting the lines round out better.

Playoffs will be more exciting then usual.

Next year so many questions but hope we can resign some and players like Podz, Karlson and Bains can take spots so the OEL buyout won't hurt us for the two bad years.

3 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

I hope resigning Lindholm doesn't cost more than $5.5 mill a year.  If we offer him 6-7 years maybe we can sign him.

2 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

I hope resigning Lindholm doesn't cost more than $5.5 mill a year.  If we offer him 6-7 years maybe we can sign him.

Probably will cost a bit more than that.

6M at least. 7M at least if he goes on a complete tear.

I am fine around 6-7M. he's a good player. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Probably will cost a bit more than that.

6M at least. 7M at least if he goes on a complete tear.

I am fine around 6-7M. he's a good player. 

He's not having a great season though.  He's not a 6 million $ player

5 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

He's not having a great season though.  He's not a 6 million $ player

Based off this year alone sure if you only look at his offense alone.

He's much much more than his point total suggests.

He is gonna be finally playing with great players again. Will be away from a shit team. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Based off this year alone sure if you only look at his offense alone.

He's much much more than his point total suggests.

He is gonna be finally playing with great players again. Will be away from a shit team. 

This is true. His offense alone is worth $5.5M, but when you add his defense, he's worth at least $6.5M now, on a down year. When he's playing better with better teammates, I think it's not unrealistic that he could command the same rate as Hronek--in the range of $7.5M.

If we do manage to re-sign Lindholm it might be a really good idea to go after Toffoli in the off-season

Lindholm had amazing chemistry last year with him and Petey did when Toffoli was here back in the day.

They would be a two-way juggernaut as a line. 

1 minute ago, -AJ- said:

This is true. His offense alone is worth $5.5M, but when you add his defense, he's worth at least $6.5M now, on a down year. When he's playing better with better teammates, I think it's not unrealistic that he could command the same rate as Hronek--in the range of $7.5M.

I think of him like Horvat goal-scoring-wise, they score in similar ways. When with great players, like Canucks PP and Barzal, Horvat produces. Lindholm produced a lot when with Tkachuk and Gaudreau. Even with Toffoli last year he had good chemistry(hence why I think maybe go after Toffoli if we sign Lindholm as Petey also has chemistry with him).

The difference between Horvat and Lindholm being Lindholm plays really well defensively and uses his body. Was 2nd and 10th in Selke voting the past 2 seasons. 

11 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I think of him like Horvat goal-scoring-wise, they score in similar ways. When with great players, like Canucks PP and Barzal, Horvat produces. Lindholm produced a lot when with Tkachuk and Gaudreau. Even with Toffoli last year he had good chemistry(hence why I think maybe go after Toffoli if we sign Lindholm as Petey also has chemistry with him).

The difference between Horvat and Lindholm being Lindholm plays really well defensively and uses his body. Was 2nd and 10th in Selke voting the past 2 seasons. 

I'm of the mind that by the end of his tenure here, Horvat was actually underrated defensively and that he was quite solid in that regard. Even still though, Lindholm is on another level defensively and when he's got his game together and has elite linemates, he's Selke-level, something Horvat's never achieved.

He's a "top line player" because Calgary is trash and have no one better. He's a great 2C on all playoff teams and no better. 29 now so hopefully in his prime for at least a couple of years here and I'm sure Tocchett will get the most out of him. I think for the price he really has to be a 20G, 60 point defensive center. He's being brought in as a 2C, not 3C. That being said we hopefully resign him to Kuzy money, no more. 5 years at 5.5M is very reasonable and I'm surprised the trade didn't have resign conditions (instead, making the conference finals?).

Of course this gives us some big options in the playoffs which is huge. When the Lotto line's together I wonder who his linemates will be - I'd try Garland or honestly Hoglander and Mikheyev with him.

Hopefully this boosts our PK too and will surely take a load of pressure off Petey and Miller.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, -AJ- said:

I'm of the mind that by the end of his tenure here, Horvat was actually underrated defensively and that he was quite solid in that regard. Even still though, Lindholm is on another level defensively and when he's got his game together and has elite linemates, he's Selke-level, something Horvat's never achieved.

IMO Horvat was average defensively. That's not a knock since he played vs good competition a lot. A lot of folks here harped on him defensively but I don't think he was bad. 

Lindholm's probably the best complete two-way C we've had since Kesler.  Definitely the best Righty C since Kes. 

• Upvote 1