Elias Lindholm | #23 | C/W

7 hours ago, kettlevalley said:

Thinking that Lindholm might really change the second pp unit.  

If you go with PP1 of

Suter Miller Boeser

Hughes Petey 

Which has worked pretty well with Kuz sitting games. 

Then 

Lafferty Lindholm Mik

Hronek Garland

Looks a lot better.  Although I still want Hogs in there.  

I assume Lindholm also would get PK time and lighten up Petey and Miller's PK role some.  

Huh? Lindholm will be on PP1.

19 minutes ago, Mac said:

Huh? Lindholm will be on PP1.

I do think Suter is working really well on PP1 because it gives a left handed shot in the bumper position and seeing as the PP is run from the left side with Miller and Hughes it gives another option.  Having Lindholm there will just give that unit the same problem as having Kuz there.  I think trying to get a good second unit as well has merit 

On 1/31/2024 at 6:00 PM, -AJ- said:

image.png.bb773fab112a0ccad06baa235558a903.pngimage.thumb.png.4d55ac05644571082c9f87a935119d35.pngimage.thumb.png.ed0e418de5a1754adbbf73d6b619358e.png

image.thumb.png.d0303732a813136869c979121488c42a.png

Overpayment by a country mile just so Alvin can have team Sweden. Really Kuzy AND a 1st AND prospects. I dont EVER remember

watching a flames canucks game and saying WOW look at that Lidholm guy.... Ever. 

We. were. fleeced. I hate the trade and think that this player will serve no real consequence in the playoffs.. Hate all you want

i just get stronger. We. were. fleeced.

Total joke and tbh im a little surprised at the lack of reaction on this a little limp dick if you ask me. Hate the trade not excited

about the player... at. all.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

He looks like hes 1 hit from gumby away from 6 months of LTR. In fact you can quote me on that... this player will 100% get

injured during our playoff run and be out. Sorry hes from Calgary im getting cursed player Ferland vibes. 

We. Were. Fleeced.

Edited by Shirotashi
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

32 minutes ago, Shirotashi said:

Overpayment by a country mile just so Alvin can have team Sweden. Really Kuzy AND a 1st AND prospects. I dont EVER remember

watching a flames canucks game and saying WOW look at that Lidholm guy.... Ever. 

We. were. fleeced. I hate the trade and think that this player will serve no real consequence in the playoffs.. Hate all you want

Total joke and tbh im a little surprised at the lack of reaction on this a little limp dick if you ask me. Hate the trade not excited

So, if he ends up being a major contributor in a long playoff run, what would you say then... We were fleeced?

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Hogs and Podz said:

So, if he ends up being a major contributor in a long playoff run, what would you say then... We were fleeced?

Absolutely sir! This is not the missing piece to get us the cup that is hillarous. Not at all.  I don't

hate the player at all but we just got the next coming of OEL. OEL was awesome in Arizona wasn't

he? Then he gets here and is the worst player on the team. I feel like the chance for Lindholm to 

flop is quite high. 

I WANT to be wrong btw i will come onto this very page and say i was wrong IF im wrong.... but im not wrong.

I mean I would trade Elias Pettersson in a new. york. minute. So don't listen to me. 

7 hours ago, Hogs and Podz said:

I have no problem with people who dont like the trade but that member is just a turd in the pool. A quick tap of the "block" option cured that garbage

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Shirotashi said:

Not even close.

Kuzmenko had a contract at 5.5 for next season too. To dumperoo that contract costs a first and a third. Bustowitz is not an NHLer. Jurmo is not an NHLer. 
So what exactly did we give up for Lindholm? 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

12 hours ago, Shirotashi said:

Absolutely sir! This is not the missing piece to get us the cup that is hillarous. Not at all.  I don't

hate the player at all but we just got the next coming of OEL. OEL was awesome in Arizona wasn't

he? Then he gets here and is the worst player on the team. I feel like the chance for Lindholm to 

flop is quite high. 

I WANT to be wrong btw i will come onto this very page and say i was wrong IF im wrong.... but im not wrong.

I mean I would trade Elias Pettersson in a new. york. minute. So don't listen to me. 

Well big difference being, if he really does suck, we just let him go in the offseason, where as OEL was gonna be here for another 6 years.

Not at all the same as the OEKL scenario...

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

12 hours ago, Shirotashi said:

flop is quite high. 

curious, who would you trade Petey for?

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

Not even close.

Kuzmenko had a contract at 5.5 for next season too. To dumperoo that contract costs a first and a third. Bustowitz is not an NHLer. Jurmo is not an NHLer. 
So what exactly did we give up for Lindholm? 

Please sir all your doing is absolutely minimizing all our assets to make it look like we traded nothing. Kuzy is going to be a 40+ goal scorer and we all 

know it. He was young entering his prime and we traded him for a player who has upside and is good but to pay THAT much. IDK its my opinion and its 

subjective.

As to the assets you don't know what you traded in those guys, idk who can categorically state that they will never be NHL'rs a coach would 

not do that why would you? 

Then you throw in the 2nd which is conditional but we always seem to forget thats there too.

Overpayment is not dependent on if a player has success or not its the price paid at the time of the transaction and we overpaid.

We might have had to because its Calgary but wow.

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

curious, who would you trade Petey for?

oh jeeze idk if i just had to throw a trade out there it would be this dreamland trade:

Dallas trades Jamie benn to Wash for I dont care how just not tom wilson.

Then Van trades Petey to Wash for Jamie Benn Tom Wilson and a young prospect. 

Im an idiot tho so idk.

• Haha 2

Reading my past comments, especially about EP40 whom i love, I think I came off a bit too nasty.

Sometimes, I give out too little sugar with my proclamations. I think the world of Lindholm's skill 

set just dont know anything about the guy. I am also VERY cautious of trades from Calgary.

• Cheers 2

On 2/2/2024 at 8:16 PM, Hogs and Podz said:

The Canucks were "fleeced" according to the fans when Miller was brought in. I wouldn't trust the knee-jerk reactions.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2024 at 6:22 PM, -AJ- said:

My thoughts on Lindholm:

- Back in 2018-19, I had Lindholm as a top 3 Selke player, but he was vastly underrated IMO and finished 10th. He was my 1st place pick in 2021-22, but finished 2nd in the end. As recently as a few years ago, he was one of the best defensive forwards (while also providing offense) in the league.

- The highest average TOI for forwards on the Flames over the past two years, so has been used as an elite forward. Will be interesting to see how he does in a lighter role as the 2C here.

Very good summary. 

I would make the following points.

1. His shooting percentage is very low this year in addition to a low PDO. That is almost certainly due largely to bad luck, so we can expect positive regression to the mean on the Canucks. 

2. He has been doing a lot of heavy lifting for the Flames. He will have a lighter load with the Canucks and will have a weaker quality of opposition. (He won't be playing against the top D pairing every night.) 

3. He has a lot of incentive to play as hard as possible to set himself up for a big payday. It is more true of Lindholm than for most UFAs as this year has been kind of a down year. A good final third of the season could make a big difference to his next contract.  Contracts are always about "what have you done lately".  Of course, everyone wants to play well and to win but financial incentives do matter.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

Lindholm has been massively under-rated for a long time, dropped a 40G, PPG season playing with super-stars on his wing but apart from that has been a consistent 25-27G, 60-70P good two-way center who can kill penalties and play the wing. That's a prototypical Tocchet/JR/PA-type player really. Now ironically he's been massively over-rated. We certainly over-paid to get him because we wanted him over everyone else, he ticks all our boxes and we get him earlier than the TDL. We probably ended up over-paying by a 4th + Jurmo to be honest. He's probably just worth Kuzmenko + 1st + Hunter. I'll take the over-payment to get him in early but if we let him walk without re-signing him that is a joke of a haul for a 50-60 game rental.

He's had a dreadful year with Calgary, 1 goal in 20-something games is pretty laughable. It's hard to say if that's a product of his bad team or vice-versa but playing in a Bo/Kesler-like 2nd line role will suit him very well, especially if he's going to get time playing with Petey which might unlock that Gaudreau-era Lindholm which would be massive for us.

Overpayment and over-rated right now but he could be huge for us regardless. We cannot give up that much of a haul and let Lindholm walk to some random team for 7-8M though, that'll be embarassing on PA's behalf. There was a silly stat flying around that since coming into the league, Kuzmenko and Lindholm have basically scored the same amount of goals and points too.

Right now Calgary has won the trade but we have a chance to win it if Lindholm gets back to his older ways (even 25G 60P point pace) and of course re-sign him.

21 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Lindholm has been massively under-rated for a long time, dropped a 40G, PPG season playing with super-stars on his wing but apart from that has been a consistent 25-27G, 60-70P good two-way center who can kill penalties and play the wing. That's a prototypical Tocchet/JR/PA-type player really. Now ironically he's been massively over-rated. We certainly over-paid to get him because we wanted him over everyone else, he ticks all our boxes and we get him earlier than the TDL. We probably ended up over-paying by a 4th + Jurmo to be honest. He's probably just worth Kuzmenko + 1st + Hunter. I'll take the over-payment to get him in early but if we let him walk without re-signing him that is a joke of a haul for a 50-60 game rental.

He's had a dreadful year with Calgary, 1 goal in 20-something games is pretty laughable. It's hard to say if that's a product of his bad team or vice-versa but playing in a Bo/Kesler-like 2nd line role will suit him very well, especially if he's going to get time playing with Petey which might unlock that Gaudreau-era Lindholm which would be massive for us.

Overpayment and over-rated right now but he could be huge for us regardless. We cannot give up that much of a haul and let Lindholm walk to some random team for 7-8M though, that'll be embarassing on PA's behalf. There was a silly stat flying around that since coming into the league, Kuzmenko and Lindholm have basically scored the same amount of goals and points too.

Right now Calgary has won the trade but we have a chance to win it if Lindholm gets back to his older ways (even 25G 60P point pace) and of course re-sign him.

Dumping Kuz cost a first. To dump Kuz (and his extra year) should have cost more. Cowpies got fleeced. 

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, JamesB said:

Very good summary. 

I would make the following points.

1. His shooting percentage is very low this year in addition to a low PDO. That is almost certainly due largely to bad luck, so we can expect positive regression to the mean on the Canucks. 

2. He has been doing a lot of heavy lifting for the Flames. He will have a lighter load with the Canucks and will have a weaker quality of opposition. (He won't be playing against the top D pairing every night.) 

3. He has a lot of incentive to play as hard as possible to set himself up for a big payday. It is more true of Lindholm than for most UFAs as this year has been kind of a down year. A good final third of the season could make a big difference to his next contract.  Contracts are always about "what have you done lately".  Of course, everyone wants to play well and to win but financial incentives do matter.

He also brings more push back in the top 6 than what Kuz did. We all know how physical CUP play is and having Lindholm will help. Miller-Lindholm-Joshua-Lafferty down thru the lineups combined with a big d-core. Looks good. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1