Elias Lindholm | #23 | C/W

1 hour ago, AnotherCanucksFan said:

I agree that the change of linemates that happened over the last couple of years for Lindholm is an important piece in understanding why his numbers went down. 

This is why I think Lindholm was truly the best fit out of all the trade options out there.  He is a fine complimentary player who can generate tons of offense when supported by high-end offensive talent.  We have an abundance of that here in Vancouver.  Calgary right now has none of that.  Apart from a couple of promising younger players (Sharangovich, Zary), they are relying on dudes like Kadri and Coleman, who were not brought in as the primary scoring options.

Was he performing well in Calgary?  Nah.  Did he deserve to get selected as Calgary's all-star?  Definitely not.  But even when he wasn't scoring, he played a hardnosed two-way game that opponents hated playing against.  Does that sound like a Tocchet player or what?

17 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

He's not having a great season though.  He's not a 6 million $ player

You can't base a players worth off one season. Think of it like Boeser, he was in the dumps a bit last season but came back strong this season. He was "overpaid" now, hes "under paid". The hope is you can sign a player to contract that is fair value for its entirety averaged out. 

Lindholm is for sure worth 6 million I would say much more. I think 7-7.5$ would be great for the Canucks if they can swing it. With the cap rising and our solid cap management so far it would be awesome to see Petey/Miller/Lindholm stick around for a bit. That's a SOLID 3 C's to work with. 

11 minutes ago, Leithal said:

You can't base a players worth off one season. Think of it like Boeser, he was in the dumps a bit last season but came back strong this season. He was "overpaid" now, hes "under paid". The hope is you can sign a player to contract that is fair value for its entirety averaged out. 

Lindholm is for sure worth 6 million I would say much more. I think 7-7.5$ would be great for the Canucks if they can swing it. With the cap rising and our solid cap management so far it would be awesome to see Petey/Miller/Lindholm stick around for a bit. That's a SOLID 3 C's to work with. 

It works both ways though. Kuzmenko wasn't traded like he was a 40ish goal scorer. We could have gotten the moon for him if he was in last year's form.  Not Even a full year, what a change. that's the reality.  

Edited by Pure961089

3 hours ago, Reznor said:

Considering this team will make the playoffs and given the amount of games remaining, I think there will be a good enough sample size for him to either sink or swim. He's also going to be put beside some really good players, so this is his time to shine to try to maximize his next contract. 

To me, it's a double edged sword. Yes, it does provide us with a leg-up on a backup if the Petey contracts don't work out. But if he underperforms, we wouldn't want him next year anyway. If he OVERperforms, we won't be able to afford him if Petey stays. In essence, I see little opportunity for us to retain him next year unless some extra cap moves out.

If you sign him now with one year extension, it guarantees that his salary will be the same whether its a bust or not.  If he is a bust this 2nd half without one year contract, I do not see how he can command these dollars at UFA at this price long-term and his value will go down after seeing that he couldn't do it with better players around him.   This is an unknown territory.  If he is risking and betting on himself to seeking a long term, he got to make his move now to the Final to show his worth.  If he opts a safe path on one year deal, then he will have time to build himself up even if he is a bust this 2nd half but rebounds to his usual self, he will command lots when one year extension expires  If I were him, I would try one-year deal because of one following reason: these type of players like Hughes, Miller, Pettersson will get him higher points because 2nd half consists of tougher opponents than the first half will bring so if he comes in a new season with fresh set of schedule and feast on those lesser points for higher payout contract.  There are no more easy opponents like Sharks to feast upon and he will more likely not getting this type of points producer than the Canucks on other players if he opts to sign with other team this offseason.

18 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

It works both ways though. Kuzmenko wasn't traded like he was a 40ish goal scorer. We could have gotten the moon for him if he was in last year's form.  Not Even a full year, what a change. that's the reality.  

I agree.

Kuzmenko scoring 39 and getting 5.5m seemed like a steal. Keep in mind he was unproven rookie and a one dimensional sniper. Lindholm has a far better track record and is a 200' C. Why is Elias not worth 500k more than Kuz? Especially with the Cap rising.

Edited by Leithal

25 minutes ago, Leithal said:

I agree.

Kuzmenko scoring 39 and getting 5.5m seemed like a steal. Keep in mind he was unproven rookie and a one dimensional sniper. Lindholm has a far better track record and is a 200' C. Why is Elias not worth 500k more than Kuz? Especially with the Cap rising.

Well he had a career year 2 years ago playing with talented players. He's still a very good 2 way centre and exactly what the Canucks need.  If he finds chemistry with Petey and his offence returns then absolutely. He can justifiably ask for JT Miller money.  If he's only good but not great I think 5.5 mill is fair.  If he finds his offence then you're right. 

1 hour ago, coolboarder said:

If you sign him now with one year extension, it guarantees that his salary will be the same whether its a bust or not.  If he is a bust this 2nd half without one year contract, I do not see how he can command these dollars at UFA at this price long-term and his value will go down after seeing that he couldn't do it with better players around him.   This is an unknown territory.  If he is risking and betting on himself to seeking a long term, he got to make his move now to the Final to show his worth.  If he opts a safe path on one year deal, then he will have time to build himself up even if he is a bust this 2nd half but rebounds to his usual self, he will command lots when one year extension expires  If I were him, I would try one-year deal because of one following reason: these type of players like Hughes, Miller, Pettersson will get him higher points because 2nd half consists of tougher opponents than the first half will bring so if he comes in a new season with fresh set of schedule and feast on those lesser points for higher payout contract.  There are no more easy opponents like Sharks to feast upon and he will more likely not getting this type of points producer than the Canucks on other players if he opts to sign with other team this offseason.

Are you saying sign Lindholm for one year?  You say you would do that but there is a zero percent chance a professional like Lindholm does that. Lmao.

Multiple teams will offer him 5-7 year contracts this summer if we do not. That is simply based on his very strong defensive game and the offensive numbers he has put up in the past.

GMs go nuts during free agent frenzy.  ZERO chance he signs a one year contract with anyone.

Edited by Mac
  • Vintage 1

25 minutes ago, Mac said:

Are you saying sign Lindholm for one year?  You say you would do that but there is a zero percent chance a professional like Lindholm does that. Lmao.

Multiple teams will offer him 5-7 year contracts this summer if we do not. That is simply based on his very strong defensive game and the offensive numbers he has put up in the past.

GMs go nuts during free agent frenzy.  ZERO chance he signs a one year contract with anyone.

I agree.  Agents knows GM all too well and would advice to hold on anyways.   I wouldn't want to bring him back on a long term deal anyways.

23 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

A far more balanced lineup.  Let's see how it all comes together.

Suter - Miller - Boeser

Hoglander - Lindholm - Petey (I'd like to see this)

Garland - Blueger - Joshua.

Mikheyev - Aman - Lafferty.

I would like to see Hoglander - Lindholm - Petey as well. Hoglander's forecheck and puck retrieval is one of the best on the team, he's like a bulldog out there, and can help keep pucks in the offensive zone for the other two players to work their magic. I think Lindholm gets back to being a PPG player in Vancouver.

Thinking that Lindholm might really change the second pp unit.  

If you go with PP1 of

Suter Miller Boeser

Hughes Petey 

Which has worked pretty well with Kuz sitting games. 

Then 

Lafferty Lindholm Mik

Hronek Garland

Looks a lot better.  Although I still want Hogs in there.  

I assume Lindholm also would get PK time and lighten up Petey and Miller's PK role some.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Really excited to see what Lindholm can do on the Canucks. I can't avoid feeling like this will be a perfect fit and I fully expect him and Petey having some instant chemistry.

When Petey has Miller on his wing they're usually switching spots during play and always for the draws. I'd expect the same deal with Lindholm.

Edited by DeltaSwede

1 hour ago, kettlevalley said:

If you go with PP1 of

Suter Miller Boeser

Hughes Petey 

Then 

Lafferty Lindholm Mik

Hronek Garland

I assume Lindholm also would get PK time and lighten up Petey and Miller's PK role some.  

Drop Mik from PP2 and try either Hogs, Garland or Joshua. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DeltaSwede said:

Really excited to see what Lindholm can do on the Canucks. I can't avoid feeling like this will be a perfect fit and I fully expect him and Petey having some instant chemistry.

When Petey has Miller on his wing they're usually switching spots during play and always for the draws. I'd expect the same deal with Lindholm.

We find out Tuesday. 

17 hours ago, coolboarder said:

If you sign him now with one year extension, it guarantees that his salary will be the same whether its a bust or not.  

OK, I could see that scenario. But in that case, he'd have to sign a very reasonable 1 year extension. By accounts, he was looking to sign a long-term 8.5m agreement with Calgary, but I think his recent play has made that impossible. I say 5m, 1 year. That's the deal. This gives him the opportunity to show off what he is still capable of, and set him up for his last big payday. But again, unless Petey does somehow end up leaving, I can't see the Canucks being in a position to pay him in the 8's. I still don't see a scenario here he sticks with us long-term.

17 minutes ago, Reznor said:

OK, I could see that scenario. But in that case, he'd have to sign a very reasonable 1 year extension. By accounts, he was looking to sign a long-term 8.5m agreement with Calgary, but I think his recent play has made that impossible. I say 5m, 1 year. That's the deal. This gives him the opportunity to show off what he is still capable of, and set him up for his last big payday. But again, unless Petey does somehow end up leaving, I can't see the Canucks being in a position to pay him in the 8's. I still don't see a scenario here he sticks with us long-term.

That is the risk of assessment of its own analysis on whether he would made it or not.  Look at the Canucks roster, they will help him a lot with point production.  If I were him, I'm not having a good year and I just traded to a contender and see better players than them and if I am a bust, I would want my salary to be guaranteed for one year than bet my career on this 2nd half which features tougher opponents and in term of strength of schedule it's #5 out of 32 teams, I would not want risk anything but get a guaranteed contract and worry about having a good year next season.  If I am a bust, I risk myself not being offered a long term and what I'm seeking would be disappointing at open market.  No way I'm going to switch that quick to where I was a few years ago overnight.  Chemistry takes time to develop and that is reality. That is my honest assessment on Lindholm.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, kettlevalley said:

If you go with PP1 of

Suter Miller Boeser

Hughes Petey 

Then 

Lafferty Lindholm Mik

Hronek Garland

Lindholm should definitely be on the #1 unit.

They get 75%+ of the ice time and he is the best option and he excels with good talent.