Elias Lindholm | #23 | C/W

Omg i couldnt believe it when i saw the news... we just traded for an All-star player!

i was thinking guentzel or Lindholm would be needed since Kuzmenko isnt really fitting in Tocchets system and wasnt producing. this just hit the spot the right way. A skilled right handed C that plays a two way game and can carry a 2nd line....unbelievable!!!

this makes things perfectly clear....we are really going all in....and the odds have never looked better...closest is the 2k11 one....but this team....omg...if Lindholm adapts and fits into Tocchets system....then we truly are contenders this year. unbelievable....

Pumped Up Smile GIF by The Roku Channel

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, AnotherCanucksFan said:

Can you clarify the numbers?

For example, on goals it says 12% with a red background. Does that mean his goal production is down 12% this year?

No.  These percentages are pure rankings against the rest of the league.  So out of all the current NHL players, he is in the 12th percentile of generating expected goals.  If you look at the line graph on the right of his main card, you can see his expected finishing is actually down a lot.

"The first thing you need to understand is that, like with all my player cards, all of the stats are representated as percentiles. That means that they show were a player ranks compared to his peers (forwards to forwards, defencemen to defencemen) in each category. If, for example, he scores a 97% in high-danger passes, that means he created more high-danger passes than 97% of active forwards in 2021-22."

But I'm still pretty optimistic about this.  He went from playing with Matthew Tkachuk and Johnny Gaudreau... to playing with Jonathan Huberdeau and Andrew Mangiapane.  He is going to be surrounded by all-star talent here in Vancouver and I think it'll bring out the best in him.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Was hearing he was looking for 8.5-9 million. Think he's still looking for that kinda payday?

Unless he blows the doors off for the rest of the season and playoffs, he will be moved in the off season if he is asking for that kind of money IMO. I am expecting the club might offer a longer term and a NMC if he signs for 5-6 mill

5 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

No.  These percentages are pure rankings against the rest of the league.  So out of all the current NHL players, he is in the 12th percentile of generating expected goals.  If you look at the line graph on the right of his main card, you can see his expected finishing is actually down a lot.

"The first thing you need to understand is that, like with all my player cards, all of the stats are representated as percentiles. That means that they show were a player ranks compared to his peers (forwards to forwards, defencemen to defencemen) in each category. If, for example, he scores a 97% in high-danger passes, that means he created more high-danger passes than 97% of active forwards in 2021-22."

But I'm still pretty optimistic about this.  He went from playing with Matthew Tkachuk and Johnny Gaudreau... to playing with Jonathan Huberdeau and Andrew Mangiapane.  He is going to be surrounded by all-star talent here in Vancouver and I think it'll bring out the best in him.

Has that contract turned out bad or what, 20 some odd points, a - player as well. I think getting out of Cowtown is going to do this player wonders. Elias Lindholm that it.

14 hours ago, -AJ- said:

My thoughts on Lindholm:

- Back in 2018-19, I had Lindholm as a top 3 Selke player, but he was vastly underrated IMO and finished 10th. He was my 1st place pick in 2021-22, but finished 2nd in the end. As recently as a few years ago, he was one of the best defensive forwards (while also providing offense) in the league.

- The highest average TOI for forwards on the Flames over the past two years, so has been used as an elite forward. Will be interesting to see how he does in a lighter role as the 2C here.

- 2nd in points-per-game over the past two years on the Flames at 0.74, which pro-rates to 61 points in 82 games. Trending down fairly hard in offensive production, but it's hard to determine how much of that is just playing on a bad team. I'd estimate he'll score at a 50-60 point rate on our second line.

- Mediocre -2 over the past two years

- An elite face-off ace. More face-offs taken than any other Flame in the past two years and has a 55.7% win rate

- Average size at 6'1", 202 lbs

- Average hit frequency

- Very high shot block frequency--part of what makes him an elite defensive forward

- Slightly positive takeaway-giveaway ratio

- Has worn #16 and #28 in the NHL, so unless he's gonna wear the "retired not-retired" number of Bourdon, he'll pick an entirely new number

- Fairly positive on net penalties/60. Does not take many penalties. One major over the past two years, but not sure if it was a fight.

- Highest PK usage of any Flame forward over the past two years. Strong results on PK1 as well, so both high usage and high efficacy.

- 2nd highest PP usage of any Flame forward over the past years, so he plays a huge role on both special teams. PP results are the best of any regular Flame forward, but not overly impressive in general. Still good though.

- CORSI of 52.0% over past two years, along with an OZ% of 52.7%. This indicates roughly average puck possession numbers, though this could be argued as particularly impressive given his high takeaways and shot blocks. That said, the CORSI is only measured at 5v5, so blocks and takeaways on the PK, where he's played a major role, aren't considered.

- His personal PDO over the past two years is 98.9, so we'll have to fix that up 😉

- 0/4 career in shootout

- Turned 29 in December

- Pending UFA

In summary, we're getting a guy who's been called on to do everything in Calgary, so we're basically taking their top forward. That said, he's been slipping offensively a little over the past two years; however, remains at a solid 2nd line level. His defense also continues to be very strong and reliable. It will be interesting to see how he performs in a lesser role in Vancouver and if they choose to re-sign him or not. He will almost certain get a raise over his current 4.85M to something well over $6M--maybe even approaching $7M depending on how he finishes out the season.

In 2021-22 season he scored a career high of 42 goals centering two play driving wingers and he became the finisher on the line between Gaudreau and Tkachuk. He is an opportunistic scorer, scoring off the rush and in close.

Like you said, he had to be the go to guy once both left while heavy lifting everything else. I wonder if playing alongside play drivers in Petey or Miller and a reduced role will allow him to flourish again offensively. One underrated thing that he has developed in his game that goes unnoticed is that he has a very pesky side to his game.

He has ability to agitate his opponents and get under their skin. Im excited what he can do to add to this team with his two way game. It really gives us that piece we need to compete with some heavy star powered teams in the Avs, Oilers, Knights, and Jets.

• Upvote 2

I wouldn't mind for one year extension to show what he got for us at a reasonable cap hit.  It is like show me you belongs kind of deal with NMC. It is not his past history but what he has done currently.  If he is a bust, don't sign him, simple.

1 minute ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Elliotte Friedman stating on Jeff Marek's show that Elias Lindholm will wear number 23.

He will also spot a Canucks patch at the All-star game.

Alex Edler or Michael Jordan tribute?

1 minute ago, coolboarder said:

I wouldn't mind for one year extension to show what he got for us at a reasonable cap hit.  It is like show me you belongs kind of deal with NMC. It is not his past history but what he has done currently.  If he is a bust, don't sign him, simple.

Wouldn’t be the worst thing for both sides honestly.

At his current pace he’s probably not gonna get the contract he was hoping for. Taking a 1 year let’s him boost those stats playing with Petey and he can still get one last big contract with the cap going up.

For the Canucks they get more time to evaluate and at the very least another season of him to help this team compete.

• -AJ- changed the title to Elias Lindholm | #23 | C/W
9 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Interesting. So Boeser back with Miller on the "2nd line"?

The way I see it is it's great to have two number one lines. That's not sarcasm, just the way I see it. Though admitted, 

Something tells me we haven't seen the end of 649.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, DeNiro said:

At his current pace he’s probably not gonna get the contract he was hoping for. Taking a 1 year let’s him boost those stats playing with Petey and he can still get one last big contract with the cap going up.

Considering this team will make the playoffs and given the amount of games remaining, I think there will be a good enough sample size for him to either sink or swim. He's also going to be put beside some really good players, so this is his time to shine to try to maximize his next contract. 

To me, it's a double edged sword. Yes, it does provide us with a leg-up on a backup if the Petey contracts don't work out. But if he underperforms, we wouldn't want him next year anyway. If he OVERperforms, we won't be able to afford him if Petey stays. In essence, I see little opportunity for us to retain him next year unless some extra cap moves out.

11 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

I agree that the change of linemates that happened over the last couple of years for Lindholm is an important piece in understanding why his numbers went down. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1