Rutherford: Canucks are not in the right 'cycle' to trade high draft picks

“It's not the cycle we're in to trade high draft picks.”

“I want to be careful with our trades,” said Rutherford. “I don't want to trade draft picks, unless they're later round picks. It's not the cycle we're in to trade high draft picks.”

That recognition of where the Canucks are currently is key and one that the previous regime seemed to struggle with, pushing just to make the playoffs instead of maximizing a window of Cup contention.

Credit:

Daniel Wagner, vancouverisawesom.com

Dec 13, 2021

• Haha 1

Or...shoulda traded all their pending UFAs for high picks.  Win the draft.  Trade Pettersson because he doesn't want to play for a loser.  Win the 2025 draft.  And then try to compete after Demko's price has gone through the roof, Hughes gets closer to the wrong side of 30, and Miller is way on the wrong side of 30.

Numerous players are having career years.  Not sure if we can fit everyone under the cap next year.  It's not crazy to go for it.  Especially considering we only gave up a late first in a so-so draft year and a prospect that could be good, but could be the next Jordan Subban.

Listen, I've been a huge critic of Allvin/Rutherford. However, it's hard to deny the amount of success he's made.

I've criticized them for not staying true to what they said. In their first season, they projected the Canucks to be just a few moves to being a playoff team. (It wasn't close; we ended up being near the bottom, up until Tocchet was hired).

They say they don't want to trade picks, but they've been trading picks a lot. They've basically repeated a lot of the gambles from the previous regime.

THAT BEING SAID, the results currently do speak for themselves. Allvin has been money with free agent signings: Blueger, Joshua, Cole, and so forth). The Canucks are first in the league. Sam Lafferty has been a fantastic pickup (even though he's cooled down).

There's a lot to like about what Allvin has done to round out what was a promising foundation left behind by Benning. One thing Benning couldn't get done, sans the Miller trade, was to make GOOD trades.

I don't know what to think about the Lindholm trade though. I think they overpaid a bit. I don't think he's necessarily better than Monahan (Monahan does have injury risk though). They basically have the same production though, but Monahan makes way less money this year.

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, PureQuickness said:

Listen, I've been a huge critic of Allvin/Rutherford. However, it's hard to deny the amount of success he's made.

I've criticized them for not staying true to what they said. In their first season, they projected the Canucks to be just a few moves to being a playoff team. (It wasn't close; we ended up being near the bottom, up until Tocchet was hired).

They say they don't want to trade picks, but they've been trading picks a lot. They've basically repeated a lot of the gambles from the previous regime.

THAT BEING SAID, the results currently do speak for themselves. Allvin has been money with free agent signings: Blueger, Joshua, Cole, and so forth). The Canucks are first in the league. Sam Lafferty has been a fantastic pickup (even though he's cooled down).

There's a lot to like about what Allvin has done to round out what was a promising foundation left behind by Benning. One thing Benning couldn't get done, sans the Miller trade, was to make GOOD trades.

I don't know what to think about the Lindholm trade though. I think they overpaid a bit. I don't think he's necessarily better than Monahan (Monahan does have injury risk though). They basically have the same production though, but Monahan makes way less money this year.

I was very critical of the direction they chose at the beginning as well.

But to equate them with Benning is a false argument.  

PA has made mistakes and brought in players that didn't fit.  What is amazing is how aware he is and how well he moves on from these mistakes.  He has also done a good job of getting pics back which is something Benning always stated he wanted to do and never did.

We haven't seen the UFA deals that are a year too long and a million too much which were Benning's best UFA deals.

At this point I am comfortable with the fact that they aren't going to take my advice, that PA is the most proactive GM in this, or any other league that I am aware of, and that where he makes mistakes he is not afraid to correct them.

We are now in a mad dash for the cup because of one great half-season.  Is that right or wrong, I don't know but am going to enjoy the ride because as a Canucks fan I realize that when this ride ends there is likely a decade of darkness ahead.

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, The King of Kings said:

“It's not the cycle we're in to trade high draft picks.”

“I want to be careful with our trades,” said Rutherford. “I don't want to trade draft picks, unless they're later round picks. It's not the cycle we're in to trade high draft picks.”

That recognition of where the Canucks are currently is key and one that the previous regime seemed to struggle with, pushing just to make the playoffs instead of maximizing a window of Cup contention.

Credit:

Daniel Wagner, vancouverisawesom.com

Dec 13, 2021

Amazingly insightful.

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

I was very critical of the direction they chose at the beginning as well.

But to equate them with Benning is a false argument.  

PA has made mistakes and brought in players that didn't fit.  What is amazing is how aware he is and how well he moves on from these mistakes.  He has also done a good job of getting pics back which is something Benning always stated he wanted to do and never did.

We haven't seen the UFA deals that are a year too long and a million too much which were Benning's best UFA deals.

At this point I am comfortable with the fact that they aren't going to take my advice, that PA is the most proactive GM in this, or any other league that I am aware of, and that where he makes mistakes he is not afraid to correct them.

We are now in a mad dash for the cup because of one great half-season.  Is that right or wrong, I don't know but am going to enjoy the ride because as a Canucks fan I realize that when this ride ends there is likely a decade of darkness ahead.

I'm actually not equating them at all to Benning. Whereas Benning couldn't get a trade right (exception: Miller) to save his life, or sign a decent free agent (Blueger, Joshua, and Suter are three of my favourite underappreciated players; I must admit, I had no idea they were THIS good), Allvin has really done well.

What I was saying was that Benning left behind a promising foundation. A foundation by itself is not enough, clearly. Benning floundered for years with an amazing group of players that fell in his lap, but he started out with virtually nothing. Gillis over the years had done a poor job of restocking the prospect pool. He kept draining it for playoff runs - many of which we still fondly remember - but he couldn't draft worth a damn.

Allvin in 2023 had drafted Hunter Bruz - a top prospect for us (in the 3rd round). Gillis couldn't do it in any of his five years that he was here. The amount of excuses he gets for failing at drafting is ridiculous sometimes. Allvin also has D. Pettersson (a sneaky good pick).

We should be grateful for the drafting that Benning did because if we had Gillis prior to Allvin, we'd start out nothing, just like Benning did. However, I do think Allvin would've signed better players, if Blueger and Joshua are any indication, if he had been put in the position after Gillis.

All in all, I'm just glad we are on the right track to building a team.

Edited by PureQuickness
  • Cheers 1

This could end up being the year the Canucks have more depth than they will for a very long time. When a young team emerges from a losing cycle with a strong, talented young core that looks to contend for the next 5 years I think realistically to teams of the past 30 years that have won the cup . Colorado is the last best comparison. They are still remarkably strong, but we’re a lot stronger when they went all in to win the cup before they had to deal with escalating salaries, now it’s not so easy for them to add the last complementary pieces for a long run. Tampa just doesn’t have depth anymore because they can’t afford it. 
And once they win everyone gets a big contract and the team breaks up. 
it’s almost a rule of thumb unless your Toronto who overpays everyone before they ever won anything.

20 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Lol ... we're never in the "right cycle" ... ever!

How about we go for it while we're #1 in the league ... 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRfp1H3lcVUjoCqykQ8YiB

I think some people on here took their blankets out of the dryer too soon…better put them back in! 
Hide And Seek Dog GIF by Laff

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Toyotasfan said:

This could end up being the year the Canucks have more depth than they will for a very long time. When a young team emerges from a losing cycle with a strong, talented young core that looks to contend for the next 5 years I think realistically to teams of the past 30 years that have won the cup . Colorado is the last best comparison. They are still remarkably strong, but we’re a lot stronger when they went all in to win the cup before they had to deal with escalating salaries, now it’s not so easy for them to add the last complementary pieces for a long run. Tampa just doesn’t have depth anymore because they can’t afford it. 
And once they win everyone gets a big contract and the team breaks up. 
it’s almost a rule of thumb unless your Toronto who overpays everyone before they ever won anything.

That is the fear of giving up our young prospects that is leading OHL in scoring and it might burn us but in other hand, if the trade does bring us the cup then there is no complaint because we didn't lose too many players what we have and they can slot in with some ELC contract and still fit the whole thing if the prospects are able to make the team.  It will become difficult for them to make the team in next few seasons with higher competition for a few spots that might become available which will be a good thing.