[PGT] Diving Jets at Canucks

10 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

What’s consider putting the team on the back though? Most of the games we won handily he doesn’t get praised coz we won handily. Most of the game we lose the entire team was bad including the goalie but he’s singled out. I mean he have 10 game winner.. that’s more than the next 2 combined and only 1 less than the next 3 combined. What’s realistic expectation? He was involved in 6 of the 7 goals against Detroit in 2 games and I still see people ripping him for being trash. 

I think he needs to have those Detroit performances against a top team.  

But moreso I don’t see him taking over a game that makes me say, “holy shit” and that’s fine as long as he steps up for the playoffs. 

Even the numbers kind of tell the tale - he’s 5th in the league for points but Kucherov, MacKinnon, McDavid and Pastrnak - the guys above him - have between 7 and 23 more than him.

It’s a decent jump - while a good 6 or so guys within 2-3 points behind him.

Im not saying he’s trash at all - but he’s a step down from the best of the best and I hope his contract at least shows that.  In other words, I think MacKinnon would get 13 or so this offseason.  Petey should be a jump back from that.

(we can throw whatever shit the Leafs did out the window) 

Edited by The Duke
  • Cheers 2

17 hours ago, Hockey God said:

This was foreseeable, wasn't 4-0 as I predicted, but not surprised by the result.  Us fans can sugarcoat what they are getting, but the eye test as a more than 40 almost 50 year fan of hockey and this particular team tells me that this is an incomplete team against the best and the worst teams.  They play down to competition at times, and don't rise to the occasion against some top teams, as we have now seen against Boston and now Winnipeg.  They need a couple of leaders with heart, who play total hockey at all times, and who never take period or nights off.       

And before people say refs this and Juulson that and EP40 missing in action at times, good teams find ways to overcome this and still win.  Hell, make Tocchet a player coach, put him on the ice, and let him show the guys how they need to play.  They need that type of role model.  Hughes banging the boards in frustration or Miller yelling on the ice does not cut it, they need someone who grinds on every shift, who plays like his life is on the line, and will do anything to win.  The closest the Canucks have to that guy is behind the bench.  And I think that management knows this team doesn't have that killer instinct, which is why Phil the Thrill is getting a look.

I thought was an awesome game to watch despite the result and you need to find a way to stifle your alpha aggression.

oh, and refs this and Juulson that lmfao.

Just now, The Duke said:

But moreso I don’t see him taking over a game that makes me say, “holy shit” and that’s fine as long as he steps up for the playoffs. 

Even the numbers kind of tell the tale - he’s 5th in the league for points but Kucherov, MacKinnon, McDavid and Pastrnak - the guys above him - have between 7 and 23 more than him.

It’s a decent jump - and a good 6 or so guys within 2-3 points of him. 

Im not saying he’s trash at all - but he’s a step down from the best of the best and I hope his contract at least shows that.  In other words, I think MacKinnon would get 13 or so this offseason.  Petey should be a jump back from that.

Sure but outside of pastrnak who still plays good chunk of his minutes 5v5 with coyle Marchand mcavoy.. the rest of them plays with elite superstar 5v5

kucherov plays with stamkos point hedman

mackinnon play with rantanen makar

mcdavid play with draistial

ep play with hoglander mikheyev kuzmenko studnicka suter laffety 90% of the time 5v5.. pick any 2 combination out of the players he play with.. most of them have less points combined than any one of the linemates of the top scorers. Yes he plays with Hughes sometimes 5v5 but Hughes hronek is exclusive to miller.. like 95% of the time

we will never know what we have in EP because I don’t think he will ever have a linemate of those calibres in his career with Vancouver. Same can be said of those top scorer are playing with ep linemate are they still up there in points?

We are a big team. 
this isn’t Benning’s team anymore. 
Speed and size across the board is what PA has brought in. 
He has brought in what 2 players that aren’t big, Suter and Hronek. 
We need to stop this silliness that we need to add a goon every time we loose. Goons win fights but loose hockey games. 

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah I wouldn't want to go all in either. Like I said earlier I believe this is why you play the game though. You don't want to be a joke like last year because that's tough on everyone, but we've got a great situation to give it everything we have and try to figure out how to beat the other top teams in the league. Pretty exciting in my books. No reason we can't figure it out. We've got 27 games or so to work on it.

Yep... they are learning on the job... 

So far they've done ok, but haven't really done anything yet...

They have 1/3 of the season left to figure it out... 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Yep... they are learning on the job... 

So far they've done ok, but haven't really done anything yet...

They have 1/3 of the season left to figure it out... 

Also the hard part of the season where there is less room for error and the intensity ramps up. They should benefit from that in terms of development.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

I dunno in the last 5 years he missed 14,6,18,4,35 the first 2 might have been even more if it wasn’t a shortened season that’s a shit ton of games he missed. That have to be near the top of the league for a player that isn’t out and had a surgery 

That's really not that much. Aside from a couple major injuries this year 4, and 6 are not a lot of games missed. 14, and 18 aren't that outrageous either. In addition, in 2019 he missed 5 games due to Covid and also served a one game suspension so he only missed 8 games, not 14. For a big, physical player I find that pretty darn good. Rarely missed a game in college and played 2 full seasons in the AHL as well.

1 minute ago, CanuckDownUnder said:

Also the hard part of the season where there is less room for error and the intensity ramps up. They should benefit from that in terms of development.

Absolutely... good part is, with the way they've racked up points during the first 2/3 of the season, there are room for trying various things, without fear of being out of it. They need 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

No argument here, they've done a great job getting into a playoff position, but the back 9 was always going to give us the true measuring stick..........we've all been discussing these games against the top teams for months, saying how they're measuring stick games and now that theyve started off badly they suddenly don't mean as much?

"We've all been discussing"? Like you're speaking for all of us now? That's next level, even for you.

No, we haven't been focusing on JUST the stretch. This team's lined themselves up nicely anyhow....they won't be in the dogfight to get into the playoffs. That counts. As much as you may like to just focus on certain games to try to justify your stance, it just doesn't really work that way. They all matter. The fact that they've put themselves at the top of the league validates this team, even if you don't understand that and are still rubbing your hands together waiting to be right. In the meantime, you're wrong (see below):

"Started off badly"?

**Fact:....we've won 3 out of the last 4 games we've played. Don't make ridiculous statements thinking we're going to just believe you. 

**Fact: No, they didn't win all the games on the road trip, but they got points in 4 out of 5 of them.

**Fact - also known as reality.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • MillerTime 1

Definitely some missed calls, but the bottom line is, the PK wasn't very good and then the boys allowed themselves to get drawn into a situation where they were going out of their way to make a it, instead of worrying about their defensive structure first.

I'm confident the coaching staff will be drilling them on this....On to the next one.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

What I would do if I was the Canucks...and I hope they do...

This is not solely my reasoning, I heard it form some media type earlier this year.

Start playing our cards close to the chest. During our drive to the end of the season we need to focus on preparing for the playoffs, winning games is secondary other than enough for moral. 

We need to make sure we get and remain healthy. That is priority number one. When playing divisional rivials we should not expose all our tricks, perhaps hold back certain PP plays etc.. Solidify lines but also have preparations for replacements due to injury. Drop any 3 on 3 or shoot out practicing...

Essentially, forget about the presidents trophy and begin a strategic focus on winning the fricking cup.

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

What I would do if I was the Canucks...and I hope they do...

This is not solely my reasoning, I heard it form some media type earlier this year.

Start playing our cards close to the chest. During our drive to the end of the season we need to focus on preparing for the playoffs, winning games is secondary other than enough from moral. 

We need to make sure we get and remain healthy. That is priority number one. When playing divisional rivials we should not expose all our tricks, perhaps hold back certain PP plays etc.. Solidify lines but also have preparations for replacements due to injury. Drop any 3 on 3 or shoot out practicing...

Essentially, forget about the presidents trophy and begin a strategic focus on winning the fricking cup.

As I typed my last response, I added something to this effect. But changed it as my target audience probably wouldn't understand that concept. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Definitely some missed calls, but the bottom line is, the PK wasn't very good and then the boys allowed themselves to get drawn into a situation where they were going out of their way to make a it, instead of worrying about their defensive structure first.

I'm confident the coaching staff will be drilling them on this....On to the next one.

Yep, they took the bait and lost focus. 

A good reminder to self not to do so.

Cheers, thanks.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, stawns said:

That was almost two months

Jan 8th was literally 41 days ago.  I like how you rounded that up to 2 months to fit your narrative though.

Edited by HKSR
  • Cheers 1

Just now, -dlc- said:

Cheers, thanks.

I felt a bit bad for Juulsen.....he's been punching well above his weight since he became a regular and it's seems like he was trying to do a bit too much and paid for it....

He's been getting the most "credit", (along with the usual whipping boy, Myers) but honestly, there was plenty to go around. When NJ stepped up to make that hit, Garland needed to recognize what was happening, and back him up. Instead he tried to make a play with his skate and missed, giving the Jets a 2 on 1. Myers didn't play it all that well, but Connor made a very nice play....

Hronek got caught in between on Monahan's goal as well. If you watch the replay, he wasn't sure whether he should collapse to the net, or take away the path to Monahan in the slot. In the end, he did neither....

7 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

Cheers, thanks.

Noticed a lot of teams are playing this game against us lately. The Wings definitely came in with that plan.

They gotta remember the best way to beat a team is on the score sheet not in scrums. Don’t get distracted by all that other stuff. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Noticed a lot of teams are playing this game against us lately. The Wings definitely came in with that plan.

They gotta remember the best way to beat a team is on the score sheet not in scrums. Don’t get distracted by all that other stuff. 

ya but if they don't get into the scrums then people will complain this team is soft and shy away from the rough stuff after whistle etc etc.. they need to learn how to handle it especially there will be more in the playoff

Edited by wai_lai416
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Which really speaks volumes that that's their go to in trying to beat us.

Other teams give us that kind of respect....even if some of our so called fans don't.

Once they master the mental part of the game and learn that the antics are just that and to not buy into that game, it'll really help them. 

When I saw Huggy "lose it" I knew it likely wouldn't end well. They've got him.

I did love the pushback though....it's necessary. But not to get emotionally caught up in it.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

on the score sheet not in scrums. Don’t get distracted by all that other stuff. 

Joshua is a perfect microcosm of this point.

His best game of his career pointwise and he ends up hurting himself in a fight( likely)

Not saying he shouldn't have fought, but look where he is now.

Gotta stay healthy!

• Cheers 2

So we have a road trip with a b2b that involves a morning game then one at altitude. I imagine some will use that to measure an entire season with but it's really important to keep everything in context. 

Besides, we'll win.

51 minutes ago, The Duke said:

It’s a decent jump - while a good 6 or so guys within 2-3 points behind him.

I get what you're saying and I agree he's not the best in the league, he's a step down from those guys you mentioned. Detroit is a pretty good team though. I think they were something like 9-2-2 before we played them.

• Cheers 1