[proposal] Duclair over there

Anthony Duclair, 50% retained for

Nils Aman, 2025 4th round pick 

Duclair could be a nice cheap fit with Miller, and bring some needed extra grit to that line. He's motivated in a contract year, he's still only 28, he's proven to be a good scorer and can muck it up a bit. Moves Suter down to the bottom 6 again where he's been great. 

Duclair-Miller-Boeser

Hogie-Petey-Lindholm

I was disappointed that we didn't chase Duclair when he was a UFA.

I'd rather not give up center depth in Aman, what about Karlsson (wait, we've seen that program before) to the Sharks with a 4th and maybe a 7th in 2026 for Duclair with 50% retention?

• Vintage 1

Just now, VegasCanuck said:

I was disappointed that we didn't chase Duclair when he was a UFA.

I'd rather not give up center depth in Aman, what about Karlsson (wait, we've seen that program before) to the Sharks with a 4th and maybe a 7th in 2026 for Duclair with 50% retention?

that works too. Just seems to me like there could be a good fit there with Milsy, and it shouldn't be a high cost deal. Also leaves room to upgrade elsewhere if something bigger comes along. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

SJ only has 1 retention slot available this season.  Wasting it on Duclair for such an underwhelming return seems pretty unlikely 

Montreal not playing today?

What makes you think that they want multiple year retention?

11 minutes ago, Pears said:

Duclair would be a good cheap fit on the second line, but I think they'd want a little more than your package. A 3rd and a B grade prospect might be enough. 

That could work. I don't think GM's will be paying much for him so maybe we can sneak in another decent player.

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

Montreal not playing today?

What makes you think that they want multiple year retention?

What makes you think they want to waste a retention slot for a 4th and an underwhelming prospect 

56 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

That could work. I don't think GM's will be paying much for him so maybe we can sneak in another decent player.

He doesn't cost much because he's not worth much.  You get what you pay for and Duclair isn't a high value player.  He is top six or nothing - he's already been scratched a couple times this year.

Just now, Miss Korea said:

He doesn't cost much because he's not worth much.  You get what you pay for and Duclair isn't a high value player.  He is top six or nothing - he's already been scratched a couple times this year.

Right, it's a low cost bet.

• Upvote 1

When Duclair's on, he's a good player who could definitely help on the Miller/Boesser line.  Can score a bit and has a decent motor.  He's making 3m so we're almost able to fit him in. If there's retention, it won't be much.  Don't know what the cost would be but he's a way more realistic target than Tuch or Crouse. 

• Vintage 1

21 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I like Duclair a lot.  I'd rather someone with a bit more size and snarl in the top 6, but if he's cheap then I won't complain.

He might not be the guy you'd look for to bring energy but he's always played bigger than his size. 

6 minutes ago, Pears said:

He might not be the guy you'd look for to bring energy but he's always played bigger than his size. 

He'll definitely stand up for himself and is a hell of a lot cheaper than what the guys I'd prefer would cost, if they're even available.

On 2/18/2024 at 6:48 PM, Bob Long said:

Right, it's a low cost bet.

He needs to be top 6 on a team that has great offensive production, which SJ clearly fails at.

2 seasons ago, he had 74-31-27-58 while playing in the Panthers top 6.

He might be a good linemate for (Duclair)  Petey  Lindholm as he needs a playmaker to

be a successful goalscorer.   Hogs moves over to Miller's line.

My only concern with Duclair is, but for his final season with the Panthers, he doesn't

seem to up his game for the playoffs.

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

He needs to be top 6 on a team that has great offensive production, which SJ clearly fails at.

2 seasons ago, he had 74-31-27-58 while playing in the Panthers top 6.

He might be a good linemate for (Duclair)  Petey  Lindholm as he needs a playmaker to

be a successful goalscorer.   Hogs moves over to Miller's line.

sure thats fine too. I love Hogs on the bottom 6, it elevates that group and gives him better matchups. 

3 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

My only concern with Duclair is, but for his final season with the Panthers, he doesn't

seem to up his game for the playoffs.

I guess for me, he's shown that he's capable. 

But like I said, its a low cost bet. 

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

sure thats fine too. I love Hogs on the bottom 6, it elevates that group and gives him better matchups. 

I guess for me, he's shown that he's capable. 

But like I said, its a low cost bet. 

If Hogs moves to the bottom 6, either Miller's or Petey's is once again lacking an appropriate

LW.  I really don't want them going into the playoffs with Di Gi or Mik on the wing.

I suppose there's always a chance that Kessel will make the leap, or Bains can add some

offensive talent to the bottom 6.  If either player is successful, then Hogs could return

to the top 6.

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

If Hogs moves to the bottom 6, either Miller's or Petey's is once again lacking an appropriate

LW.  I really don't want them going into the playoffs with Di Gi or Mik on the wing.

I suppose there's always a chance that Kessel will make the leap, or Bains can add some

offensive talent to the bottom 6.  If either player is successful, then Hogs could return

to the top 6.

it gives us some options too. Rotating around Duclair, Hogs, Mik, Bains might help to give us a different look if needed for a given shift. 

• Cheers 1