Notable Passings

Gurn

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/richard-roundtree-dead-shaft-1235626813/

Richard Roundtree, Suave Star of ‘Shaft,’ Dies at 81

In addition to playing the street-smart private eye, he was memorable in 'Roots,' 'Once Upon a Time … When We Were Colored' and 'Man Friday.'

Richard Roundtree

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

Richard Moll, Who Played Bull the Bailiff on ‘Night Court,’ Dies at 80

Richard Moll
Richard Moll on Galella, Ltd./Ron Galella Collection/Getty Images

Richard Moll, the fun-loving actor who portrayed the towering and tenderhearted bailiff Aristotle Nostradamus “Bull” Shannon on all nine seasons of the popular NBC sitcom Night Court during its original run, has died. He was 80.

Moll died peacefully Thursday at his home in Big Bear Lake, California, his publicist announced.

Suitable for his 6-foot-8 frame, Moll played an abominable snowman alongside Ringo Starr and Barbara Bach in the comedy feature Caveman (1981), and he was a scary, decomposing Vietnam veteran in the horror film House (1986).

Moll also did lots of voiceover work, with a regular gig as the immortal bodyguard Norman on the syndicated series Mighty Max and turns as Harvey Dent/Two-Face for three Batman cartoons.

Moll had a shaved head — he did that to play the warrior Hurok in the sci-fi film Metalstorm: The Destruction of Jared-Syn (1983) — when he auditioned for the role of Shannon on Night Court, created by Reinhold Weege.

“They said ‘Richard, the shaved head looks good. Will you shave your head for the part?” he recalled in a 2010 interview. “I said, ‘Are you kidding? I’ll shave my legs for the part. I’ll shave my armpits, I don’t care.'”

With Night Court being nominated three times for the Emmy for outstanding comedy series, Moll came up with a catchphrase — “Oooo-kay” — as he appeared on all but one of the show’s 193 episodes from 1984-92 alongside the likes of Harry Anderson, John Larroquette, Charlie Robinson and Markie Post.

Moll was not involved with the Larroquette-toplined Night Court reboot that returned to NBC for the 2022-23 season.

Charles Richard Moll was born in Pasadena on Jan. 13, 1943. His mother, Violet, was a nurse and his father, Harry, a lawyer.

A history and psychology major at the University of California at Berkeley, he graduated in 1964, then worked as a deputy probation officer in Alameda County and in ladies’ hosiery at a store in San Francisco.

He came to Los Angeles in 1968 to pursue acting but found the going tough at first. He got to play a cannibal in a Hertz commercial opposite Don Adams and then Joseph Smith in a 1977 biopic about Brigham Young before landing parts in episodes of Welcome Back, Kotter, and The Rockford Files.

In 1979, Moll was cast as a gangster in the two-part Happy Days episode “Fonzie’s Funeral,” and that led to appearances on two other Garry Marshall-created shows, Laverne & Shirley and Mork & Mindy.

He filled out his résumé with work in films including Hard Country (1981) and Ralph Bakshi’s American Pop (1981) and on such TV shows as The Misadventures of Sheriff Lobo, B.J. and the Bear, Buck Rogers in the 25th Century, T.J. Hooker, Alice and The Dukes of Hazzard before landing on Night Court.

Bull was going to be “very hard-edged,” he told People magazine in 2003, “but I think they saw something in me to make him a lot softer.” At the Manhattan Municipal Criminal Court, his character sweetly bonded with female bailiffs Selma Hacker (Selma Diamond, who died between seasons two and three), Flo Kleiner (Florence Halop, who died between seasons three and four) and Roz Russell (Marsha Warfield).

Moll also played himself in 1987 on a two-part episode of NBC’s The Facts of Life and recurred as The Drifter on the 1999-2002 Nickelodeon comedy 100 Deeds for Eddie McDowd.

He also showed up on Highlander, Babylon 5, Married … With Children and Anger Management and in the films The Flintstones (1994), But I’m a Cheerleader (1999) and Scary Movie 2 (2001).

An avid bird watcher and nature lover, Moll was married and divorced twice; his second wife, Susan, was a daughter of Milton Berle’s third and last wife, Lorna Adams. Survivors also include his children, Chloe and Mason, and his stepchildren, Cassandra and Morgan.

• Sad 2
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Highlander,

Season one- episode one.

His voice, and size made it hard to not recognize him.

Loved his work on Night Court.-The episode where he just picks up that wrestler dude, and moves him over a few feet was great.

Really liked that show, great writing, and everybody got to do the funny parts   

RIP big fella.

• Like 1

'Friends' Star Matthew Perry Dead at 54 ... After Apparent Drowning

10/28/2023 5:10 PM PT
Matthew Perry Through The Years  

Matthew Perry -- one of the stars of 'Friends' -- has died ... TMZ has learned.

Law enforcement sources tell us the actor was found Saturday at an L.A.-area home ... where we're told he appears to have drowned. Our sources say first-responders rushed over on a call for cardiac arrest. It's unclear where exactly on the grounds this happened.

Our sources say he was found in a jacuzzi at the home ... and we're told there were no drugs found at the scene. We're also told there is no foul play involved.

Perry is most famous for his role as Chandler Bing on the hit '90s sitcom, which ran for 10 seasons ... and with him in all 234 episodes. His character was a fan fave, as was performance -- mannerisms and lines of which have gone on to be recreated and spoofed by fans all over the world. One comes to mind, in particular ... "Could (blank) BE more .."

While 'Friends' was his biggest claim to fame ... MP had starred/guest starred in countless other TV shows over the years -- such as 'Boys Will Be Boys,' 'Growing Pains,' 'Silver Spoons,' 'Charles in Charge,' 'Sydney,' 'Beverly Hills, 90210,' 'Home Free,' 'Ally McBeal,' 'The West Wing,' 'Scrubs,' 'Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip,' 'Go On,' 'The Odd Couple' and more.

He had also acted in a handful of memorable films (mostly comedy) ... like 'Fools Rush In,' 'The Whole Nine Yards,' 'Three to Tango,' 'The Kid,' '17 Again,' 'Getting In,' and many others. He's been off the scene more recently ... not having acted since a TV mini series in 2017.

While his onscreen persona was affable and upbeat, Matthew suffered mightily behind the scenes -- notably, from his addiction to drugs and alcohol ... pain killers, specifically. He was hooked on Vicodin for years -- even while on 'Friends' -- and had been in and out of rehab.

Matthew opened up about this painful chapter of his life in a memoir he put out last year -- where he detailed the struggles he had ... including his clear weight-loss/gain on the show.

During his press run for his book ... Matthew did a number of interviews where he got incredibly emotional -- including one with Diane Sawyer, where he detailed his story.

daa22c5dd4624e159f49286948e10edc_md.jpg

While Perry appeared to be clean and sober a year ago, the year prior -- when he and the other cast members were plugging the 'Friends' reunion show -- drew concern from fans ... as they felt he appeared unwell, at times slurring his words and looking a bit out of it.

On top of his substance use ... Matthew also dealt with health issues, some of which were serious and required hospitalizations. One such incident stemmed from a gastrointestinal perforation -- which forced him to undergo emergency surgery ... but he luckily recovered.

Matthew never married, but he was briefly engaged to Molly Hurwitz a couple years ago ... which came to an end after only 6 months. Before that, he'd been linked to Lizzy Caplan.

He was 54 years old.

RIP

• Sad 8

Just now, nuckin_futz said:

Law enforcement sources tell us the actor was found Saturday at an L.A.-area home ... where we're told he appears to have drowned. Our sources say first-responders rushed over on a call for cardiac arrest. It's unclear where exactly on the grounds this happened.

Our sources say he was found in a jacuzzi at the home ... and we're told there were no drugs found at the scene. We're also told there is no foul play involved.

Perry is most famous for his role as Chandler Bing on the hit '90s sitcom, which ran for 10 seasons ... and with him in all 234 episodes. His character was a fan fave, as was performance -- mannerisms and lines of which have gone on to be recreated and spoofed by fans all over the world. One comes to mind, in particular ... "Could (blank) BE more .."

While 'Friends' was his biggest claim to fame ... MP had starred/guest starred in countless other TV shows over the years -- such as 'Boys Will Be Boys,' 'Growing Pains,' 'Silver Spoons,' 'Charles in Charge,' 'Sydney,' 'Beverly Hills, 90210,' 'Home Free,' 'Ally McBeal,' 'The West Wing,' 'Scrubs,' 'Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip,' 'Go On,' 'The Odd Couple' and more.

He had also acted in a handful of memorable films (mostly comedy) ... like 'Fools Rush In,' 'The Whole Nine Yards,' 'Three to Tango,' 'The Kid,' '17 Again,' 'Getting In,' and many others. He's been off the scene more recently ... not having acted since a TV mini series in 2017.

While his onscreen persona was affable and upbeat, Matthew suffered mightily behind the scenes -- notably, from his addiction to drugs and alcohol ... pain killers, specifically. He was hooked on Vicodin for years -- even while on 'Friends' -- and had been in and out of rehab.

Matthew opened up about this painful chapter of his life in a memoir he put out last year -- where he detailed the struggles he had ... including his clear weight-loss/gain on the show.

During his press run for his book ... Matthew did a number of interviews where he got incredibly emotional -- including one with Diane Sawyer, where he detailed his story.

While Perry appeared to be clean and sober a year ago, the year prior -- when he and the other cast members were plugging the 'Friends' reunion show -- drew concern from fans ... as they felt he appeared unwell, at times slurring his words and looking a bit out of it.

On top of his substance use ... Matthew also dealt with health issues, some of which were serious and required hospitalizations. One such incident stemmed from a gastrointestinal perforation -- which forced him to undergo emergency surgery ... but he luckily recovered.

Matthew never married, but he was briefly engaged to Molly Hurwitz a couple years ago ... which came to an end after only 6 months. Before that, he'd been linked to Lizzy Caplan.

He was 54 years old.

RIP

Jesus 54, that's a tragedy. Wow. 

• Sad 3
  • Huggy Bear 1

32 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

He was 54 years old.

RIP

RIP Miss Chanandler Bong. 

image.gif.c539d9a1749c3498761333c6cba5efd7.gif

• Sad 1

I remember going to work the day after the first episode aired and asking people if they watched this new show called "friends".  Everyone said no and looked at me like, "why would I watch a show with that name".  A few weeks later, it was a nationwide smash hit among NBC's Thursday night lineup (Biggest TV programming block of the 80's & 90's).  It goes without saying that I was in love with all 3 women, especially Jennifer Aniston of course.

• Huggy Bear 1

6 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

Now I feel old even though he’s so much older than myself. Now I get to watch the people I grew up knowing and watching pass away. 

Damn you time! 

Started for me when I was 14.

I was playing footy with a kid I grew up with, he was accidentally killed on the field.

The kid who hit only meant to rough him up.

That kid took his life a few years later.

Lost track of people I know who have taken their lives.

Now cancer and the sins of the past/ present are catching up with people I know.

• Sad 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

https://sports.yahoo.com/coaching-legend-bob-knight-famous-for-both-victories-and-outbursts-dies-at-83-223223902.html

Coaching legend Bob Knight, famous for both victories and outbursts, dies at 83

Bob Knight died at his Bloomington, Indiana, home on Wednesday after a lengthy illness

image.png.52d26ee87b7b8cfaf0cc7614bbf0ece0.png

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Former First Lady Rosalynn Carter has passed away at age 96:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/rosalynn-carter-outspoken-former-first-lady-dead-at-96/ar-AA1kcayc?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=c7e0df585f1e46d6a21f4bb0db18475e&ei=66

Very surprised that Jimmy outlived her. He's 99. What makes that even more amazing is that when he was in the Navy, he received what was considered a dangerous level of radiation. Click the link below to see how he and his team prevented a nuclear disaster.....in Canada:

https://www.military.com/history/how-jimmy-carter-saved-canadian-nuclear-reactor-after-meltdown.html

• Sad 2
  • Vintage 1

27 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Former First Lady Rosalynn Carter has passed away at age 96:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/rosalynn-carter-outspoken-former-first-lady-dead-at-96/ar-AA1kcayc?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=c7e0df585f1e46d6a21f4bb0db18475e&ei=66

Very surprised that Jimmy outlived her. He's 99. What makes that even more amazing is that when he was in the Navy, he received what was considered a dangerous level of radiation. Click the link below to see how he and his team prevented a nuclear disaster.....in Canada:

https://www.military.com/history/how-jimmy-carter-saved-canadian-nuclear-reactor-after-meltdown.html

Ya, I'm surprised that Jimmy outlived her as he has been receiving at home hospice care for most of the year.  When that was announced, I fully expected it at some point for him.

Someone who passed away recently but not widely acknowledge in the media.

Mark Goddard Dead: 'Lost in Space' Actor Dies at 87 (people.com)

Mark Goddard, best known for his roles in Lost in Space and General Hospital, has died. He was 87. 

In a statement shared to Facebook page, Goddard's wife Evelyn Pezzulich revealed that the actor had been diagnosed with pulmonary fibrosis and died Tuesday in Hingham, Massachusetts while under hospice care.

"I’m so sorry to tell you that my wonderful husband passed away on October 10th,” she began. “Several days after celebrating his 87th birthday [on July 24], he was hospitalized with pneumonia. We were hopeful when he was transferred to a rehabilitation center, but then doctors discovered he was in the final stages of pulmonary fibrosis for which there is no cure."

"He received excellent care at the beautiful Pat Roche Hospice Home and was able to die peacefully and with dignity,” Pezzulich continued. “His children and I had the chance to express our love and say our goodbyes. I’ll never know how I deserved to spend 33 years with such a loving, gentle, handsome man who made me laugh so often."

Editorial use only. No book cover usage. Mandatory Credit: Photo by Moviestore/Shutterstock (1582593a) Lost In Space , Mark Goddard, June Lockhart, Guy Williams, Billy Mumy, Angela Cartwright, Jonathan Harris, Marta Kristen Film and Television
Mark Goddard in 'Lost in Space'. 

MOVIESTORE/SHUTTERSTOCK

In the comments section, Goddard’s Lost in Space costar, Billy Mumy, recalled his final interaction with the late actor and their touching last words.

"R.I.P. to Mark Goddard,” he wrote. “A truly beloved friend and brother to me for 59 years. I knew this was coming for the past few months. Shortly after a great phone chat he and I had on his 87th birthday in late July, I became aware that I would most likely never see or speak with him again. The last words we exchanged were 'I love you.'"

“Mark was a truly fine actor. Naturally gifted as well as trained. I know he sometimes felt constricted by the campy frame that 'LIS' [Lost in Space] constrained him within, but he also embraced and loved it,” he continued.

Goddard became a household name with his iconic role as Major Don West in the intergalactic show. The series, which aired from 1965 to 1968, followed the fantastic adventures of the Robinson family, space colonists aboard the Jupiter 2 piloted by Goddard’s character.

Per The Hollywood Reporter, Goddard recalled seeing himself in his silver lamé spacesuit for the first time in his 2008 memoir To Space and Back, writing: "I took a deep breath, took a second look at the image of a wrapped-aluminum baked potato and said to myself, ‘How the hell did this happen?'"

Mark Goddard who plays Maj. Don West, right, and Billy Mumy who plays Will Robinson on LOST IN SPACE. Image dated August 5, 1965
Mark Goddard as Maj. Don West in 'Lost in Space'. 

CBS/GETTY

In a 1998 feature adaptation of the series, Major Don West was portrayed by Matt LeBlanc and later taken on by Ignacio Serricchio in Netflix’s 2018 reboot. 

Following his time on Lost in Space, Goddard also appeared on General Hospital as Derek Barrington over the span of 11 episodes from 1985 to 1986.

Other credits of his include One Life to Live, The Doctors, The Detectives, Johnny Ringo and Blue Detective, according to his IMDb page.

Never miss a story — sign up for PEOPLE's free daily newsletter to stay up-to-date on the best of what PEOPLE has to offer, from juicy celebrity news to compelling human interest stories.

Besides his wife, Evelyn, Goddard is survived by his producer daughter, Melissa Goddard.

Edited by Beans
  • Upvote 1