[REPORT] Canucks make contract offer to Filip Hronek

3 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I mean, the free agent market for RHD is thin. There's Tanev, who I know many fans on this board are huge on. But he's also 34 years old going on 35. If he wasn't durable when he was younger, why would he be more durable as he is getting older? 

Which only adds to Hronek’s trade value. We will get more than we got for Fat Wallet. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 3/8/2024 at 8:31 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

So Allvin has offered Hronek between $6.5-$6.75 million per year for 8 years.  I'm hoping a deal can get done at between $7-7.35 million.  Vince Dunn is at $7.35 million and is a good comparable.  

I don't believe Vince Dunn is comparible.

Dunn creates points, where Hronek is riding the success of Hughes. 

It's been proven that when Hronek is put in a position to lead, he goes quiet and becomes invisible.

I'm really hoping PA sticks to his guns and doesn't move off of 6.5. I'd be more for moving him if he wants more.

Quinn Hughes makes any partner better. 

This could also open the door to bring back Tanev for the remainder of his career. He would buy time for Willander to complete his development, if necessary.

1 hour ago, Komodo0921 said:

It's been proven that when Hronek is put in a position to lead, he goes quiet and becomes invisible.

I'm really hoping PA sticks to his guns and doesn't move off of 6.5. I'd be more for moving him if he wants more.

This could also open the door to bring back Tanev for the remainder of his career. He would buy time for Willander to complete his development, if necessary.

Hughes is a phenom. He’s going to make all the players on the ice with him better. Hronek put up similar numbers in Detroit. He’s a fantastic player, who is at the beginning of his prime. JR/PA have a number they will go to (IMHAO that’s the Devon Toews contract). If Hronek expects more then he will be traded, like Horfat Wallet, for a great return.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Have to say how surprised yet not surprised here how many people feel the Canucks should trade Hronek. Citing a fall in production or a possible ask of a perceived high caphit.

Firstly Hughes and Hronek do compliment eachother well. Not on a Marc Methot or Luke Schenn / Ethan Bear level of top pair partner to a top defenseman.

Filip Hronek can produce.

*Only 13 Canucks defensemen have ever scored more points then him in a season. 

* Only 4 Canucks defensemen have ever produced more assists in a season then he did this year.

Filip Hronek has at a point in the last half of the season injured or aggravated something upper body. He still throws the body, plays with an edge and can play physical. He perhaps coincidentally or not has not been positioned or able to let his shot rip as much.

Hronek is one of the first guys to go to bat for his team if he's on the ice. Watch when opposing players take liberties on his teammates. DeSmith last game for example, he doesn't back down.

We all know he is a good skater, can shoot the puck, distributes it well and can play special teams. Not the biggest defenseman but plays with an edge, is physical and defends well.

It would be a great value deal if Hronek signed for a longer term deal at under $ 7 million per, but as much as I'd love that as a fan so we can squeeze more returnees in from the Canucks pending UFA group its simply not realistic.

He compares statistically well in terms of age, production, points per game, toi, to name a few categories to defensemen like: - Noah Hanifin 

- Thomas Chabot 

- Vince Dunn 

These are your 7m to 8m range guys. I think if Vancouver offered $6.5m per and a deal is not done, Hronek may want $ 7.35m Hanifin numbers. Vancouver could argue Hronek is a notch down in terms of overall value than a Hanifin. Maybe a deal gets done at $ 7m per ? 

League wide Hronek was 21st in points, 29th in points per game among all defensemen. The argument for $6.5m per would put him in the mid to late thirties overall in caphit.

The cap is climbing, a 6 to 8 year deal at 7 to 8m per is where current 5m per deals look like now. 

Lastly, Filip Hronek is the top four right handed defenseman this franchise has never had. The exact very literally the player this fan base has been screaming for, for years. Of course he is no Quinn Hughes and obviously Hughes will make Hronek better, he will make any player better ( hello Schenn, Bear lol ).

Don't take Hronek for granted or try to trade him because he only nearly produced but didn't hit 50+ points or wants to be compensated for his services.

great post, I think if he wanted to take 7.3-7.5 deal would be done by now, his playoff performance I do not think has changed his value much one way or the other really...its been ok , he does look hurt 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Have to say how surprised yet not surprised here how many people feel the Canucks should trade Hronek. Citing a fall in production or a possible ask of a perceived high caphit.

Firstly Hughes and Hronek do compliment eachother well. Not on a Marc Methot or Luke Schenn / Ethan Bear level of top pair partner to a top defenseman.

Filip Hronek can produce.

*Only 13 Canucks defensemen have ever scored more points then him in a season. 

* Only 4 Canucks defensemen have ever produced more assists in a season then he did this year.

Filip Hronek has at a point in the last half of the season injured or aggravated something upper body. He still throws the body, plays with an edge and can play physical. He perhaps coincidentally or not has not been positioned or able to let his shot rip as much.

Hronek is one of the first guys to go to bat for his team if he's on the ice. Watch when opposing players take liberties on his teammates. DeSmith last game for example, he doesn't back down.

We all know he is a good skater, can shoot the puck, distributes it well and can play special teams. Not the biggest defenseman but plays with an edge, is physical and defends well.

It would be a great value deal if Hronek signed for a longer term deal at under $ 7 million per, but as much as I'd love that as a fan so we can squeeze more returnees in from the Canucks pending UFA group its simply not realistic.

He compares statistically well in terms of age, production, points per game, toi, to name a few categories to defensemen like: - Noah Hanifin 

- Thomas Chabot 

- Vince Dunn 

These are your 7m to 8m range guys. I think if Vancouver offered $6.5m per and a deal is not done, Hronek may want $ 7.35m Hanifin numbers. Vancouver could argue Hronek is a notch down in terms of overall value than a Hanifin. Maybe a deal gets done at $ 7m per ? 

League wide Hronek was 21st in points, 29th in points per game among all defensemen. The argument for $6.5m per would put him in the mid to late thirties overall in caphit.

The cap is climbing, a 6 to 8 year deal at 7 to 8m per is where current 5m per deals look like now. 

Lastly, Filip Hronek is the top four right handed defenseman this franchise has never had. The exact very literally the player this fan base has been screaming for, for years. Of course he is no Quinn Hughes and obviously Hughes will make Hronek better, he will make any player better ( hello Schenn, Bear lol ).

Don't take Hronek for granted or try to trade him because he only nearly produced but didn't hit 50+ points or wants to be compensated for his services.

The only person trading Hronek will be himself or his agent. There is a structure in place to accommodate him that is fair and equitable, he will likely receive a very fair offer from mgmt by end of negotiation. If he wants more and believes he should be paid (regardless of when QH signed his deal) like the team’s number 1 D, he will not get that. Love him as a player and the fact that he absolutely stands up physically for his team, but while he brings a nice stability and balance he hasnt necessarily “upped” his game significantly despite being paired with this years likely Norris winner. His projections remain the same. Is he currently underpaid? Yes! Does he deserve to be overpaid for what he’s shown? Perhaps slightly under a linear inflationary cap model, but it can’t exceed QH value or come too close to it because he is not dynamic enough to be considered an elite Dman. He’s highly valuable because he’s steady, young and an RHD entering prime, but that doesn’t equate to being elite. I don’t think any pundit around the league would value him as elite given his metrics. That perspective has to be at the forefront because that is a large portion of what his next contract will be based on…his comparable value over term.

As much as I want to agree with you, there is a limit that has to be adhered to if we’re going to ice as competitive a team next year and hopefully, regardless of circumstance in his career, FH’s camp accepts a deal that both benefits the player and club equally. Otherwise, let someone else overpay and allow mgmt to continue to build this roster effectively like they have given the restraints and the position it was in just two years ago. Major improvement in performance and mindset. BUY IN. We will see how much FH values the opportunity a future with this club would present him with.

Edited by RWJC

3 minutes ago, RWJC said:

The only person trading Hronek will be himself or his agent. There is a structure in place to accommodate him that is fair and equitable, he will likely receive a very fair offer from mgmt by end of negotiation. If he wants more and believes he should be paid (regardless of when QH signed his deal) like the team’s number 1 D, he will not get that. Love him as a player and the fact that he absolutely stands up physically for his team, but while he brings a nice stability and balance he hasnt necessarily “upped” his game significantly despite being paired with this years likely Norris winner. His projections remain the same. Id he underpaid? Yes! Does he deserve to be overpaid for what he’s shown? Perhaps slightly under a linear inflationary cap model, but it can’t exceed QH value or come too close to it because he is not dynamic enough to be considered an elite Dman. He’s highly valuable because he’s steady, young and an RHD entering prime, but that doesn’t equate to being elite. I don’t think any pundit around the league would value him as elite given his metrics. That perspective has to be at the forefront because that is a large portion of what his next contract will be based on…his comparable value over term.

As much as I want to agree with you, there is a limit that has to be adhered to if we’re going to ice as competitive a team next year and hopefully, regardless of circumstance in his career, FH’s camp accepts a deal that both benefits the player and club equally. 

I personally believe $ 6.5m per is that number that is fair but both sides concede a little to ensure flexibility for the team moving forward.

• Like 1

Just now, Mike Vanderhoek said:

I personally believe $ 6.5m per is that number that is fair but both sides concede a little to ensure flexibility for the team moving forward.

I would love that but I think he comes in around 7-7.5 simply as cost of buying his prime UFA years over term. Hope you’re right though!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Hronek would be leaving some on the table at 7.25 x 8. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Komodo0921 said:

proven? so his career never existed in detroit? i guess he was riding the success of sneider in detroit whom he doesn't play with

• Like 1

Really comes down to does the team want a QH and Hronek top pair or a deeper d core. The playoffs so far have shown how important the four towers are. What is best for the short-term and also allows for young players to break onto the team. Feel like option 1 might be the best way forward and offer the most flexibility.

Option 1:

QH Tanev.       $7.85M.   $4.5M

Soucy Myers.    $3.25M.  $4M

Big Z Cole.         $5M.      $3M

Juulsen.              $775K

$27.5 - $29M

Plus assets received from a Hronek trade.

Or

Option 2:

QH Hronek.        $7.85M.   $7.85M

Soucy Myers.      $3.25M.  $4M

Cole Juulsen.       $3M.     $775K

Xx.                         $775K

$27 - $28.5

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

Really comes down to does the team want a QH and Hronek top pair or a deeper d core. The playoffs so far have shown how important the four towers are. What is best for the short-term and also allows for young players to break onto the team. Feel like option 1 might be the best way forward and offer the most flexibility.

Option 1:

QH Tanev.       $7.85M.   $4.5M

Soucy Myers.    $3.25M.  $4M

Big Z Cole.         $5M.      $3M

Juulsen.              $775K

$27.5 - $29M

Plus assets received from a Hronek trade.

Or

Option 2:

QH Hronek.        $7.85M.   $7.85M

Soucy Myers.      $3.25M.  $4M

Cole Juulsen.       $3M.     $775K

Xx.                         $775K

$27 - $28.5

That's an interesting point. Hughes has been taking a bit of a beating and Hronek has been mostly neutralized. It's a pairing that did work very well in the regular season but for the playoffs it might make more sense to have someone that can intimate a little when next to Hughes or at least take some pressure off.

I'm sure Hronek would be very attractive to some teams. I wonder if Boston would consider something around Brandon Carlo for Hronek?

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Diamonds said:

That's an interesting point. Hughes has been taking a bit of a beating and Hronek has been mostly neutralized. It's a pairing that did work very well in the regular season but for the playoffs it might make more sense to have someone that can intimate a little when next to Hughes or at least take some pressure off.

I'm sure Hronek would be very attractive to some teams. I wonder if Boston would consider something around Brandon Carlo for Hronek?

What about trading Hronek to Utah for picks?  Then we can sign Big Z, Dakota, Meyers and Bluger. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Leafs retain 2 per. Winger for Petey. Marner can win a couple Cups with us like Kessel did on Pittsburgh.

Still no thanks.  He has 1 year left on his deal.  Would basically be a rental and would cost us a top pair RHD?  No way.

On 4/28/2024 at 9:38 AM, Komodo0921 said:

Let me ask you this.  If signing hronek means losing Zadorov and Joshua do you do it?

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Leafs retain 2 per. Winger for Petey. Marner can win a couple Cups with us like Kessel did on Pittsburgh.

I think Marner would be best in a non-hockey mad type environment. His game is too flakey for knowledgeable fan bases. He's got go though. The relationship between Marner and TO fans is just too toxic now.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rekker said:

I think Marner would be best in a non-hockey mad type environment. His game is too flakey for knowledgeable fan bases. He's got go though. The relationship between Marner and TO fans is just too toxic now.

Utah? Maybe a three way trade. Leafs get Hronek, Utah gets Marner, and we get Crouse?