[REPORT] Canucks make contract offer to Filip Hronek

5 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Or as close to 8 as he can get, which is what some folks here have been saying 

I still think 7.5-7.75 would be the sweet spot in Vancouver

Seravelli said Petey's deal started with a 12.  So by that same metric, Hronek should come in at 7.xx AAV.

• MillerTime 1

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Seravelli said Petey's deal started with a 12.  So by that same metric, Hronek should come in at 7.xx AAV.

Maybe, time will tell  wouldn't surprise me 

15 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Maybe, time will tell, wouldn't surprise me 

Before the usual suspects crow about "market value", I'm talking about his value to the Canucks........im sure he'd get a hefty number on the open market.  To  me, he's not so valuable to the team that it's worth sacrificing depth for. 

He might hit 50, but he's had a huge drop off in points in the second half and I'm sure that's what his agent is basing his demands on.  So is he first half Hronek or second half hronek?  We don't really know because he doesn't have much of a resume outside of this season to warrant a significant contract.  I'd also contend that if you played Myers with Hughes all year, he wouldn't be far off hroneks point production, easily into the 40's.

Truly a 2 year bridge deal would be the best thing for the canuckx and if he weren't willing to bet on himself for that deal, I'd be running the other way because it tells me that he knows Hughes is the vehicle of his success.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

12 hours ago, HKSR said:

That would actually be good value for us over a longer term. 

And it's like Brian Burke recognized and said last week, Hronek has been key to our blueline success this season. It started there. Burke recognizes his value to the team, the success of Hughes, and value to our blueline in general. 

Secure our top contending caliber D pairing and don't worry about it knowing our top pair is set. The real value is the success of this pairing and what they can do. And we haven't even seen the best of either Hughes or Hronek in their prime together. Also the value in Hronek's chemistry with Hughes in providing more mobility and intuition in a partner that allows him to elevate his game, which is what we've seen this season.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Exactly.  I'm glad someone as qualified as Burke sees it the way we do.  Imagine if the Blackhawks tore apart Keith and Seabrook in their prime years simply giving ALL the credit to the Norris winning Keith.  Chemistry is literally what determines value being greater than the sum of its parts, yet somehow people want to break it apart to go and try to find another guy that might or might not have chemistry with Hughes.  You can tell how many people on here look for shiny things and always think grass is greener on the other side.  The JT Miller debates were the same thing -- let's trade him away and find another centre that can do the same thing for less.  Really?  How'd that turn out.

Exactly what I've been thinking through all of this. It's nice to know others actually see it. You nailed it with the chemistry. With Hronek, there's also an intuitive aspect with his chemistry that opens up the ice for Hughes. Also Hughes isn't having to carry more than he should in a lesser, cheaper partner. Hronek freed him up to be that Norris level Dman. This top chemistry is hard to find and we're fortunate after all this time to finally have that in our top pairing. That also doesn't come cheap. Especially in a Canadian market with the tax issue. 

I've long said around here, people need to be able to recognize when we have it good and there's no need to complain. Otherwise it's just circular endless complaining. Think about how long people were complaining about the need for a young top RHD. We get one and immediately people want to get rid of him for the unknown and start the process of complaining all over again. People really should be saying, "Great! We got what we wanted. Our top pairing is set. Let's lock that up for our window and get down to business."

Rather than having to overpay in order to convince players to come here because we suck and no one wants to come here, we can now pay guys because they're good, their worth, and for the fact they've made us better into a contending team. The benefit to that is some will be willing to take a haircut in pay to be part of a winning team and something special. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Exactly what I've been thinking through all of this. It's nice to know others actually see it. You nailed it with the chemistry. With Hronek, there's also an intuitive aspect with his chemistry that opens up the ice for Hughes. Also Hughes isn't having to carry more than he should in a lesser, cheaper partner. Hronek freed him up to be that Norris level Dman. This top chemistry is hard to find and we're fortunate after all this time to finally have that in our top pairing. That also doesn't come cheap. Especially in a Canadian market with the tax issue. 

I've long said around here, people need to be able to recognize when we have it good and there's no need to complain. Otherwise it's just circular endless complaining. Think about how long people were complaining about the need for a young top RHD. We get one and immediately people want to get rid of him for the unknown and start the process of complaining all over again. People really should be saying, "Great! We got what we wanted. Our top pairing is set. Let's lock that up for our window and get down to business."

Rather than having to overpay in order to convince players to come here because we suck and no one wants to come here, we can now pay guys because they're good, their worth, and for the fact they've made us better into a contending team. The benefit to that is some will be willing to take a haircut in pay to be part of a winning team and something special. 

All great points.  The dumbest thing I've seen on here is people saying they'd be ok with $6.5M AAV for Hronek but not $7.25M.  Seriously?  $750k difference for a top pairing RHD is what would make or break value here?  ESPECIALLY when there is clear cut chemistry between Hughes and Hronek that more than makes up for a $750k difference.  And no, Hronek won't be getting $8M+.  That's a STARTING point.  That's how negotiations work.  Do people not know how to negotiate contracts?  lol!

Like you said, I rather pay market value for what we know and find value elsewhere if need be.  Hughes-Hronek is a legit elite top pair... something we've been wanting for a LONG, LONG time.  Stupidest thing would be to tear it apart in an attempt to find a cheaper fit. 

To build a legit contender, I have no problem paying market value for any of the following.  Go bargain bin shopping in the other areas if you need to.

1C

2C

1LHD

1RHD

G

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Maybe, time will tell, wouldn't surprise me 

he will 'bet on himself', he'll bet that someone will pay him a crap ton of money for a long time. No way he takes anything less than a 7 year deal imo. 

I'm hoping they can work something reasonable out, but it is what it is. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, HKSR said:

All great points.  The dumbest thing I've seen on here is people saying they'd be ok with $6.5M AAV for Hronek but not $7.25M.  Seriously?  $750k difference for a top pairing RHD is what would make or break value here?  ESPECIALLY when there is clear cut chemistry between Hughes and Hronek that more than makes up for a $750k difference.  And no, Hronek won't be getting $8M+.  That's a STARTING point.  That's how negotiations work.  Do people not know how to negotiate contracts?  lol!

Like you said, I rather pay market value for what we know and find value elsewhere if need be.  Hughes-Hronek is a legit elite top pair... something we've been wanting for a LONG, LONG time.  Stupidest thing would be to tear it apart in an attempt to find a cheaper fit. 

To build a legit contender, I have no problem paying market value for any of the following.  Go bargain bin shopping in the other areas if you need to.

1C

2C

1LHD

1RHD

G

Yep. On the same page with all of it.

What's really interesting to me as far as building a contender in what you've listed as the priorities and market value, people were saying these exact same things way back in 2013 and into our decline. Flash forward to today and people don't want to pay for those priorities, build around those priorities, now that we don't suck anymore. It's just trade everyone for cheaper unknown assets. We were always going to have to pay to be good in those positions. That's here and now.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, HKSR said:

1C

2C

1LHD

1RHD

G

When negotiating with more important positions there needs to be more flex regarding cap space and term. This isn't to say don't try and make things at least fair from the team's side, but if you're going to overpay or pay more than you'd maybe like it's better to do it with key positions such as the ones you've mentioned.

You can cheap out on depth a bit more, there's no shortage of bottom six forwards via UFA each season. A handful of top 4D usually hit UFA too. It's much harder to find top pairing guys, which is why they get paid.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

On 4/12/2024 at 12:09 PM, HKSR said:

I HIGHLY doubt it's $8M+.  I believe that's just Hronek's side setting a starting point in negotiations so there's room to actually... you know... NEGOTIATE.

It will very likely come in at $7.xx AAV.

I doubt it's $8M. That wouldn't be negotiating. That's a hard line, which is fine, his choice, but that's not negotiating.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

I doubt it's $8M. That wouldn't be negotiating. That's a hard line, which is fine, his choice, but that's not negotiating.

Benning would have said "why 8 Million when I can give you 8.25 😄"? 

Note: I'm nonsensical right now. I have a migration so I'm just replying randomly to get the stress out 

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Benning would have said "why 8 Million when I can give you 8.25 😄"? 

Note: I'm nonsensical right now. I have a migration so I'm just replying randomly to get the stress out 

Does your migration involve an ERP system? 🙂 

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Think about how long people were complaining about the need for a young top RHD

This. Sometimes we don't know what we have until we've lost it. 

It's hard to get a RHD, and Hronek, while not super young, is not that old either. He's 26, and he's a RHD with experience. So, yes, does he deserve 8M? Probably not, but none of the players get what they ask unless they're superstar players. It's obvious to me that this is a negotiation tactic. Look what happened to Markström. He wanted more money so he left for Calgary. He having success there? Signed a six year deal didn't he? He didn't look great tonight against the Canucks. 

So if Hronek wants to chase the money, then I am sure that as a premium position in hockey, Allvin and Rutherford could get a pretty decent haul for him. Could they get another young RHD? Debatable for me. It'll be hard, but not impossible. But I figure the best thing for the hockey club is to get Hronek signed long term. If I was a betting man, he probably falls around 7-7.5M over 6-7 years, maybe even the max deal of 8 years with some security. 

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Yeah, but I don't think he's that stupid to put a hard line there and not negotiate. Would mean Hronek has an inflated sense of his own game, and ego. In that case, best to look for the best offer for the guy. If the deal is going to be around 7M, then sign him up. Might be a little bit of an overpayment, but he's not taking 6M as some fans think he should. He's not worth 6M that's for sure, and he's not worth 8M. So if Hronek and his agent are decent minded people, then 7.5M is probably what he's getting. 

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Yep. On the same page with all of it.

What's really interesting to me as far as building a contender in what you've listed as the priorities and market value, people were saying these exact same things way back in 2013 and into our decline. Flash forward to today and people don't want to pay for those priorities, build around those priorities, now that we don't suck anymore. It's just trade everyone for cheaper unknown assets. We were always going to have to pay to be good in those positions. That's here and now.

Our fanbase doesn't know what it wants lol. 

• Cheers 1

Where's the guys laughing that I said there was a chance he won't make 50 points.  Ended with 48.

He's been invisible on the back 9 of the season and even moreso in the first two games of the playoffs.

I scoff at $6m at this point 

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

44 minutes ago, stawns said:

Where's the guys laughing that I said there was a chance he won't make 50 points.  Ended with 48.

He's been invisible on the back 9 of the season and even moreso in the first two games of the playoffs.

I scoff at $6m at this point 

Yeah, I’m not sold.

We should be using Hughes to bring in guys that take a discount for the opportunity to play with him. Not overpaying guys who get propped up by him.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1