[REPORT] Canucks make contract offer to Filip Hronek

25 minutes ago, RWJC said:

There’s also the trade route and we definitely have some pieces we could move to make that happen.

Who would be the target(s)?  Young, RHD, good cap hit, capable of playing 23min a night, available for trade, doesn't cost any of Willander, Lekerimaki, Dpetey, Raty, etc...

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Who would be the target(s)?  Young, RHD, good cap hit, capable of playing 23min a night, available for trade, doesn't cost any of Willander, Lekerimaki, Dpetey, Raty, etc...

Doesn’t necessarily have to be young, more so stable and complementary to QH. Tons of options. All depends who mgmt would have as targets. A few teams will need to shed cap space too so perhaps we can take on a couple players with one being a RHD as part of any deal. I’m just saying there are alternatives to free agency that wont necessarily or obviously present themselves at the moment.

Dont get me wrong, I’d prefer to keep Hronek. He’s good value at 7.5 and somewhat of a rare bird due to the scarcity of RHD who can play such an all around game. But he does not, imho, make or break our D corps and that’s a key area for us to invest in both efficiently and carefully. 

For 8 mill, whom do you think is more valuable to the team and important in their role…JTM or FH? 8 mill can solidify our F group with a sniper, while 8 mill can also buy you 2 excellent NHL Dmen regardless of how you divide that up 

Edited by RWJC

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Well we are a powerhouse too.  If we beat Dallas is Tanev not going to come back home?

If we beat Dallas, we're in the finals.  Can't see us not bringing back all of our top guys if we make it that far.  That includes Hronek.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Doesn’t necessarily have to be young, more so stable and complementary to QH. Tons of options. All depends who mgmt would have as targets. A few teams will need to shed cap space too so perhaps we can take on a couple players with one being a RHD as part of any deal. I’m just saying there are alternatives to free agency that wont necessarily or obviously present themselves at the moment.

Dont get me wrong, I’d prefer to keep Hronek. He’s good value at 7.5 and somewhat of a rare bird due to the scarcity of RHD who can play such an all around game. But he does not, imho, make or break our D corps and that’s a key area for us to invest in both efficiently and carefully. 

For 8 mill, whom do you think is more valuable to the team and important in their role…JTM or FH? 8 mill can solidify our F group with a sniper, while 8 mill can also buy you 2 excellent NHL Dmen regardless of how you divide that up 

Ok if Hronek won't sign unless he gets $8m+, then I'd drive him to the airport myself.  He is worth $7m to $7.5m unless he goes on a tear all of a sudden.

• Cheers 2

Just now, HKSR said:

Ok if Hronek won't sign unless he gets $8m+, then I'd drive him to the airport myself.  He is worth $7m to $7.5m unless he goes on a tear all of a sudden.

Haha, I’ll pay for the gas!

Problem is rumour that he’s gunning for 8 and arbitration might actually get him really close to that. He spends next season padding his stats alongside QH and he’s effectively priced himself out of our range. The only way we extend him for term is if one or two of our D prospects have a really good showing next year and provide case to be tried out on the roster the season after. ELCs will allows us to retain Hronek but that’s all a crapshoot. Hence why I think we have to be very careful with how this plays out. We can deal out solid depth like Garland, and underperforming guys like Mik, but they still need to replaced and for their position and usage, and with that you’re looking at 3-4 mill each in that role unless you gamble on the unproven. Team needs some guarantee of what they can expect on the 3/4 lines in order to continue successes. Hronek playing well for us may also eventually turn him into a cap casualty and if so, best we capitalize on that prior to, ya know?

• ThereItIs 1

10 minutes ago, HKSR said:

He is worth $7m to $7.5m unless he goes on a tear all of a sudden.

I’d agree during the regular season, but he has to show something during the playoffs. Not even the points, hasn’t been good defensively.

I want him to succeed but he has to be better in the next round to earn that 7 million dollars.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, HKSR said:

Assuming Tanev wants to come here instead of staying with that powerhouse Dallas team.

I honestly think Tanev coming back to Vancouver is a pipe dream regardless of how things go. He fits seamlessly with the Stars and Toronto would probably offer him more than other teams if he hit UFA. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I honestly think Tanev coming back to Vancouver is a pipe dream regardless of how things go. He fits seamlessly with the Stars and Toronto would probably offer him more than other teams if he hit UFA. 

Why would you want him back beyond nostalgia?  He’s one of the 50 oldest D-men in the league and he’s in the 25 percentile for closing gaps in the league…. Meaning 3/4 of the Defensemen in the league close gaps quicker than him. Father Time catches up to us all and if you want to win, he’s not the best option available to help us do that…

Just now, Northern_Nuck said:

Why would you want him back beyond nostalgia?  He’s one of the 50 oldest D-men in the league and he’s in the 25 percentile for closing gaps in the league…. Meaning 3/4 of the Defensemen in the league close gaps quicker than him. Father Time catches up to us all and if you want to win, he’s not the best option available to help us do that…

Because he's a top tier defensive D despite his age, one who'd make a good RD stopgap til Willander is ready. If he wasn't viewed as valuable a contender in Dallas would have never ponied up for him. 

But I agree, I believe sentiment is also a large driver for some folks wanting him back. 

I don't think he plays for the Canucks again though, which is fine, we still have our memories of him as a Canuck. If we could go back in time and retain him we probably would, but sometimes things just don't work out. 

15 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Well we are a powerhouse too.  If we beat Dallas is Tanev not going to come back home?

We haven't played game 1 of round 2, let's pump the brakes on us beating Tanev...if they get by Colorado that is.

Our series should be long, I hope we can compete and slow the Coilers top guys down. Wish we had a healthy Demko and #40 was doing his thing (think EP will do well vs Coilers)

I don't see enough from Hronek to pay him 7m personally, we could sign someone for less to be effective with Quinn. But that is just me, I was really hoping Zadorov and Hronek would be a solid 2nd pair of I would put Zadorov with Hughes to protect him if anyone hacks or goes after him.

Splitting up Hughes Hronek would lead to a more balanced D group imo and lets see Hronek produce some offense on his own and earn that new contract showing he can lead his D pairing not be a ride along with Hughes

• Confused 1

Based on age alone, I think we want to keep Hronek over Tanev.  Not to mention Hronek's physicality which is key for the playoffs.  I just don't see him as a $7M/yr player and Zadorov stands out as a difference-maker more than Hronek to me.  Am I the only one?

• Cheers 1

21 hours ago, RWJC said:

There’s also the trade route and we definitely have some pieces we could move to make that happen.

So give up assets instead of keeping a guy that is clearly a known and a fit, that makes little sense to me.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

So give up assets instead of keeping a guy that is clearly a known and a fit, that makes little sense to me.

It all depends on his $ ask.

What, are you going to give him 10mill just because he’s known and a fit? Cmon

Edited by RWJC

5 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Based on age alone, I think we want to keep Hronek over Tanev.  Not to mention Hronek's physicality which is key for the playoffs.  I just don't see him as a $7M/yr player and Zadorov stands out as a difference-maker more than Hronek to me.  Am I the only one?

Hronek is the far superior player if compared to zadorov. Hronek is Devon Toews level and will get a similar deal. Big Z will go to the highest bidder on July 1. That won’t be us. 

23 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Hronek is the far superior player if compared to zadorov. Hronek is Devon Toews level and will get a similar deal. Big Z will go to the highest bidder on July 1. That won’t be us. 

Zadorov isn’t going anywhere.  He is staying in Vancouver…

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Two different players who bring two different styles of game. We need both. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

We do need both.  How I'm not sure.  Management is looking VERY good right now though with Joshua, Lindholm and the big Z really shining in these playoffs so far.  So many years of seeing trade deadline pick-ups (or somewhat earlier) just not work out.  Lindholm and Z are made for the playoffs.

• Vintage 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

We do need both.  How I'm not sure.  Management is looking VERY good right now though with Joshua, Lindholm and the big Z really shining in these playoffs so far.  So many years of seeing trade deadline pick-ups (or somewhat earlier) just not work out.  Lindholm and Z are made for the playoffs.

Off the top of my head and I’m a bit drunk so apologies if this is (very likely) incorrect…

Say bye bye to:

Mik (4.75 +M-NTC)

Cole (3.0)

Blueger (1.95)

Lafferty (1.15)

DeSmith (1.8)

Myers (6.0)

Friedman (0.775)

——————————-

Thats 19.425mill out.

Add to active NHL roster cap:

EP extension (4.25)

Hronek extension (3.35 if @ 7.75per)

Joshua extension (2.925 if @ 3.75 per)

Silovs extension (0.46 if @ 1.25 per)

Podz (1.0)

Aman (0.825)

OEL buyout (2.2)

Lindholm extension (3.15 if @ 8 per)

Zadorov extension (1.0 if @ 4.75 per)

————————————-

19.16 back in.

leaves us 300K under cap with Aman, Podz, Juulsen and Silovs in full time slots but to replace the outbound positions we are left with 300K and still require 1 more F (if we run with 13F on one way contracts) and 3 more D (if we run with 8D on one way contracts) and this is obviously not going to cut it. ELC’s are not enough to satisfy needs. 

Add back final year of Poolman’s 2.5 LTIR and we have 2.8 to spend.

we can do it, but to do it effectively and still balance roster (another top 6 F for EP’s line) we will have to lose a Garland or similar and spread the $ savings.  😞

going to be an interesting summer.

So for those claiming we absolutely need Hronek, look at the above and realize that we may also have to deal out Hronek (if he’s too pricey) and use the majority of that cap savings on the D spread and potentially have an even stronger team next season from the get go with both Lindholm, Zaddy in the fold and another 10.55mill to spend on fortifying. It’s a tough call. Love Hronek but this is why I say we have to be cautious with that deal because it could cost us a UFA BB6 who will be seeking another raise after next season.

Aside from our high value players playing up to par, having solid, productive and reliable depth is what will keep us a playoff contender. Any player in the playoffs right now would probably say the same thing, imho.

Edited by RWJC

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, RWJC said:

It all depends on his $ ask.

What, are you going to give him 10mill just because he’s known and a fit? Cmon

Hes not getting anywhere near 10 anywhere, so that point is moot. 

Edited by canuck73_3

44 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Hes not getting anywhere near 10 anywhere, so that point is moot. 

i was being sarcastic.

if you read further down the posts I laid out where I think *?* we might be heading towards with regard to Hronek, his extension, and the rest of the team. What the your thoughts on that because to me it illustrates the bind we could be in soon.

18 hours ago, RWJC said:

Off the top of my head and I’m a bit drunk so apologies if this is (very likely) incorrect…

Say bye bye to:

Mik (4.75 +M-NTC)

Cole (3.0)

Blueger (1.95)

Lafferty (1.15)

DeSmith (1.8)

Myers (6.0)

Friedman (0.775)

——————————-

Thats 19.425mill out.

EP extension (4.25)

Podz (1.0)

Aman (0.825)

OEL buyout (2.2)

————————————-

19.16 back in.

leaves us 300K under cap with Aman, Podz, Juulsen and Silovs in full time slots but to replace the outbound positions we are left with 300K and still require 1 more F (if we run with 13F on one way contracts) and 3 more D (if we run with 8D on one way contracts) and this is obviously not going to cut it. ELC’s are not enough to satisfy needs. 

we can do it, but to do it effectively and still balance roster (another top 6 F for EP’s line) we will have to lose a Garland or similar and spread the $ savings.  😞

So for those claiming we absolutely need Hronek, look at the above and realize that we may also have to deal out Hronek (if he’s too pricey) and use the majority of that cap savings on the D spread and potentially have an even stronger team next season from the get go with both Lindholm, Zaddy in the fold and another 10.55mill to spend on fortifying. It’s a tough call. Love Hronek but this is why I say we have to be cautious with that deal because it could cost us a UFA BB6 who will be seeking another raise after next season.

Aside from our high value players playing up to par, having solid, productive and reliable depth is what will keep us a playoff contender. Any player in the playoffs right now would probably say the same thing, imho.

That's amazing work while a few drinks in lol!  I don't think anyone wants to lose Garland, and at this point people would like to see Myers back in on a cheaper deal too.   Silovs coming in as back-up will help.  That aside, I think they'd need Lindholm and Hronek to come in at $6.5-7M/yr.  Zadorov at $4.75M/yr is looking like money well spent and I would think they could get Joshua for a tad lower than $3.75M/yr.  Moving Mik would be huge and losing Cole seems like a no-brainer.  Despite his miscues this past game, he's been good in my eyes, so will be sad to see him go.  Juulsen will have to find another gear again next season.

• Cheers 2

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, RWJC said:

Say bye bye to:

Mik (4.75 +M-NTC)

Cole (3.0)

Blueger (1.95)

Lafferty (1.15)

DeSmith (1.8)

Myers (6.0)

Friedman (0.775)

——————————-

Thats 19.425mill out.

EP extension (4.25)

Podz (1.0)

Aman (0.825)

OEL buyout (2.2)

————————————-

19.16 back in.

I think management can get creative and offer Lindholm a 1 yr show me deal @ $6 mill base and $2 mill  performance bonus ( $8 mill total) It would give Lindhom a chance to rebuild his value with $6 mill cap hit and the $ 2mill in bonuses would roll over to the following year when the cap will rise.

Edited by fuzzy