What's wrong with Petey?

I wouldn't say most nights but, yes, he is having a pretty poor year.

It's anyone's guess why. It might be because it is a contract year, it might be the constant shuffling of line mates or maybe he's dealing with something.

The good news is it is all on him. Just as quickly as he has lost his game, he can get it back and find his game once again.

• Cheers 1

Theres nothing wrong with Pettersson lol. Hes always played like this, save for his first season. Rack up a lot of points, doesn't takeover games, ineffective/invisible for  stretches. But may be get 4 points vs Chicago or something. 

Or may be a more fair way to put it. He doesn't take his game up a notch when the team needs it. 

Edited by Drakrami
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Yeah, he's gone from being a 102-point player last year to absolutely plummeting down to a 97-point pace this year. I have no idea how he's completely fallen off this year.

I really hope he can make the huge changes he needs to make in order to regain his former glory and make up some of that massive 5-point gap compared to last year.

Does he look like a difference maker out there to you?

or perhaps get him an actual top 6 winger? every star player have a sidekick.. other teams whenever they play EP line.. just zero in on EP and you'll effectively shutdown everyone else.. Miller's line? they still have to respect boeser almost pushing 40 goals.. who are they covering on EP's line outside of EP? no one. 

2 hours ago, Drakrami said:

Theres nothing wrong with Pettersson lol. Hes always played like this, save for his first season. Rack up a lot of points, doesn't takeover games, ineffective/invisible for  stretches. But may be get 4 points vs Chicago or something. 

Or may be a more fair way to put it. He doesn't take his game up a notch when the team needs it. 

he's definitely piling it up against the chicago's and san jose of the world lmao.. he has 43 points in 36 games against teams currently in the playoff position.. and and only 36 points in 31 games against the non playoff teams.. JT miller by contrast is exactly the same 43 in 36 against the playoff teams and only caught up after the all star break when EP started to go on a slump.. the only difference between miller and EP stats is Miller padded hard against SJ Columbus ottawa anaheim with 19 points and EP only have 9.. until management decides to get a player to play with EP expect more or less the same unless he can figure out how to skate thru the entire team. they brought in lindholm to play with ep for like 2 games and then never again lol.. didn't even give that a chance to build chemistry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

or perhaps get him an actual top 6 winger? every star player have a sidekick.. other teams whenever they play EP line.. just zero in on EP and you'll effectively shutdown everyone else.. Miller's line? they still have to respect boeser almost pushing 40 goals.. who are they covering on EP's line outside of EP? no one. 

he's definitely piling it up against the chicago's and san jose of the world lmao.. he has 43 points in 36 games against teams currently in the playoff position.. and and only 36 points in 31 games against the non playoff teams.. JT miller by contrast is exactly the same 43 in 36 against the playoff teams and only caught up after the all star break when EP started to go on a slump.. the only difference between miller and EP stats is Miller padded hard against SJ Columbus ottawa anaheim with 19 points and EP only have 9.. until management decides to get a player to play with EP expect more or less the same unless he can figure out how to skate thru the entire team. they brought in lindholm to play with ep for like 2 games and then never again lol.. didn't even give that a chance to build chemistry

it's great you brought up Miller. Because I have seen quite a number of times where Miller actually muscled his way in and won us games in this season, the previous 2-3 seasons as well. Pettersson, I don't recall any notable games he carried the team. I'm not against Pettersson. Just trying to be as objective as possible speaking based on stats, and on the ice play. 

I don't know how well your stats correlate. For example, Pettersson got 6 points vs the Oilers in the first 2 games of the season when the Oilers absolutely sucked. May be it actually means Pettersson capitalizes on teams that are falling asleep and not playing well. That 6 points alone already muddles your "stat". I'd sure like to see Pettersson step it up in statement games, and we get to see that in the playoffs. 

Truth is, if Pettersson carries the team, forum posts like these would not exist. 

Edited by Drakrami
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

it's great you brought up Miller. Because I have seen quite a number of times where Miller actually muscled his way in and won us games in this season, the previous 2-3 seasons as well. Pettersson, I don't recall any notable games he carried the team. I'm not against Pettersson. Just trying to be as objective as possible speaking based on stats, and on the ice play. 

I don't know how well your stats correlate. For example, Pettersson got 6 points vs the Oilers in the first 2 games of the season when the Oilers absolutely sucked. May be it actually means Pettersson capitalizes on teams that are falling asleep and not playing well. That 6 points alone already muddles your "stat". I'd sure like to see Pettersson step it up in statement games, and we get to see that in the playoffs. 

different style of players you'll never see EP skate thru and muscle his way thru a team.. that's not his style.. he takes over the game if he's given the space and time which he often is not since he doesn't have any linemates that requires the other team to pay attention to. 

i guess 4 points 2 goal 2 assist in 4-3 ot win against pittsburgh and 4 points 2 goal 2 assist in 6-3 win against the rangers is not good enough for you he must have gotten lucky against those team sucking too

lol EP have 7 points against oilers vs Miller have 6 points against the oilers? so if that's the case then shouldn't the same goes for miller?? it "muddle" his stats? EP shot blanks 11 time vs playoff teams vs miller's 10 times hardly any difference... so ur arguement he padded his stats against the oilers when they absolutely sucked.. they didn't suck just the first 2 games.. they sucked the first 3 games.. and the entire early season..doesn't really hold any weight. 

Edited by wai_lai416

If you are expecting a finesse skill guy to perform like a 1990's power forward you are looking for the wrong things.  Pete has been in the league long enough he knows what he needs to do for success.  Probably also playing smarter so there is something in the tank for game 83 and beyond.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, flat land fish said:

If you are expecting a finesse skill guy to perform like a 1990's power forward you are looking for the wrong things.  Pete has been in the league long enough he knows what he needs to do for success.  Probably also playing smarter so there is something in the tank for game 83 and beyond.

2 hours ago, 27 Percent said:

Does he look like a difference maker out there to you?

I hope he's actually thinking about saving himself for playoffs, as that means there's more in the tank.

He doesn't look like a difference maker or like a star who scares you when he has the puck.

I wonder if us getting shelled in the 2nd half of games is a coach's decision or if it's the players doing it on their own, because it happens a lot with us (Winnipeg was an exception).

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

different style of players you'll never see EP skate thru and muscle his way thru a team.. that's not his style.. he takes over the game IF he's given the space and time which he often is not since he doesn't have any linemates that requires the other team to pay attention to.

I think this is the key point that people are getting frustrated with. We just shelled out 11.6M in cap space and now I think people, rightfully so imo, expect him to be able to create his own space. He tends to be invisible in tight checking and physical games. This is why people calling for 12M+ for Petey were crazy. Mackinnon is a 12M player and last night we saw the difference between the two.

The Canucks' PP is dreadful right now and a lot of that falls on Pettersson. He has plenty of space to work with on the PP (and Hughes!) but hasn't been getting it done and we needed it last night. But hopefully it improves at the right time (ie. playoffs). You used the Rangers game as an example but from what I remember that game was pretty open. Though he has been better statistically since signing the contract, it's the eye test that has people criticize him, imo anyway.

33 minutes ago, flat land fish said:

Maybe this is the case. I hope so. If Pettersson performs well in the playoffs then all of this goes away.

5 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

Remember up until this year, almost this entire site gave up on Brock (not me, but was defending a hopeless battle or so it seemed).    And can show this again, but Millers 99 point season, he was playing all over the lineup with every single dick mary and joe at some point.     So let's not go there ok.   This is a very weak argument.   Get it you want EP to play with Brock.   It's not going to happen, why?   Because Miller and Brock together, are better than EP and Brock together, otherwise the coach would have done this already right? 

Like it or not.  Right now, and since he's arrived, JT Miller is a more complete hockey player than EP.   He's scored more points.   Hit a ton more.  And under Green, Bruce and Tochett now, has been given the green light to be the man (and play against top lines).   Don't re-call JT Miller getting the boot down to the third line to "get him going" like he did with Podz and Hogs.    Yes he had a crap start to last season, that's the worst he's done so far (Miller).    EP did the year before too.    And yes, the hope is, over time he will take over the number one role, certainly getting paid to.      A lot of people questioned whether Brock even was a top six winger the past couple seasons right, the majority has wanted him off the team for years.   Endless trade threads.   And some serious hate too.

Lotto line sucked under Green his last season.   Was broken up, Miller went from an 80 point pace to 120.   Don't like this - went from Miller verus Horvat, to Miller verus EP.   We all should know by now, who the actual boss is.   And that's fine, in 1-3 years,  maybe EP can do the same thing.    Not there yet.    EP learned how to forecheck from Miller, so did Brock (their own words Millers first year).    

We are lucky to have both guys.    Pressure for sure is now in EPs court to earn his massive pay bump. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Comox Blaster said:

Interesting to try and put Joshua on his line when he returns.  Would mean changing up the checking line??  Thoughts.

Might be what the doctor ordered.