What's wrong with Petey?

17 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Petey needs a legit winger to play with him. Hogs will continue to progress on Petey's line, but Suter is not a 2nd line player. Petey can't do it all under a structured system.

Podkolzin needs to step up.  I think that spot is his once he earns it.

13 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Yeah, he's gone from being a 102-point player last year to absolutely plummeting down to a 97-point pace this year. I have no idea how he's completely fallen off this year.

I really hope he can make the huge changes he needs to make in order to regain his former glory and make up some of that massive 5-point gap compared to last year.

Aye...what a bum...

Everyone in this thread is wrong.

No, Petey isn't playing well (despite his points).  No, it isn't because of his linemates (or lack thereof).  No, it isn't the contract.  No, he doesn't always play like this.

He is clearly struggling.  I've watched every game this year (except for the Minnesota debacle which I was glad to have avoided).   It's the indecision, it's the puck just rolling off his stick, it's him tripping on his own feet and he tries to think about his next move, it's the falling down every time he gets touched near the boards.

Petey appears to be prone to the effects of confidence.  He thrives when he feels confident, and it seems to kill him when things aren't going well.  And it snowballs.

When he is on his game, and feeling confident, he stickhandles around anyone and is cracking bombs top corner.  When he is not confident, he looks like this...

He just needs some things to go his way, or a fresh start (hopefully he will get that in the playoffs).  He'll be good again eventually.  Luckily, when he is "bad", he can still be a 90 point player...

2 hours ago, Saved_by_Jesus said:

No, Petey isn't playing well (despite his points).  No, it isn't because of his linemates (or lack thereof).  No, it isn't the contract.  No, he doesn't always play like this.

He is clearly struggling.  I've watched every game this year (except for the Minnesota debacle which I was glad to have avoided).   It's the indecision, it's the puck just rolling off his stick, it's him tripping on his own feet and he tries to think about his next move, it's the falling down every time he gets touched near the boards.

Petey appears to be prone to the effects of confidence.  He thrives when he feels confident, and it seems to kill him when things aren't going well.  And it snowballs.

When he is on his game, and feeling confident, he stickhandles around anyone and is cracking bombs top corner.  When he is not confident, he looks like this...

He just needs some things to go his way, or a fresh start (hopefully he will get that in the playoffs).  He'll be good again eventually.  Luckily, when he is "bad", he can still be a 90 point player...

Most people here have watched every game this year.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Jester13 said:

Petey needs a legit winger to play with him. Hogs will continue to progress on Petey's line, but Suter is not a 2nd line player. Petey can't do it all under a structured system.

This is it. Petey needs a running mate with first line finishing and the ability to produce chances as well. Lately, the deployment of wingers on his line seems piecemeal at best. At times he’s been able to drive his line but I’m almost starting to expect these lulls as you rarely sense any secondary creativity from his line mates. 

Finding an appropriate impact winger to play with our talented (though sometimes underwhelming) “franchise” center has to be at the very top of the to do list this off season.

Edited by Zimmyparttwo
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Saved_by_Jesus said:

he isn’t struggling,  he is evolving ,  his game is constantly changing ,.

Skating at first part of the season was moving away from the “Bambi” stick leg approach and edge work ,  to now where his gait has opened up,.  
His timing for hitting was something new this year as well.

Now he is becoming engaged and on target,.

We haven’t seen the best level of hockey from EP40 yet..   and that is not a bad thing,

because the growth of his game and what will be attributed physically to his prowess ..  with that shot ,     Is worth watching and witnessing now.

Just let EP , be EP.

15 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

I think this is the key point that people are getting frustrated with. We just shelled out 11.6M in cap space and now I think people, rightfully so imo, expect him to be able to create his own space. He tends to be invisible in tight checking and physical games. This is why people calling for 12M+ for Petey were crazy. Mackinnon is a 12M player and last night we saw the difference between the two.

The Canucks' PP is dreadful right now and a lot of that falls on Pettersson. He has plenty of space to work with on the PP (and Hughes!) but hasn't been getting it done and we needed it last night. But hopefully it improves at the right time (ie. playoffs). You used the Rangers game as an example but from what I remember that game was pretty open. Though he has been better statistically since signing the contract, it's the eye test that has people criticize him, imo anyway.

Maybe this is the case. I hope so. If Pettersson performs well in the playoffs then all of this goes away.

sure but again ep is not one to skate thru the other team like a mackinnon or blow past them with speed like mcdavid he doesn't have that size nor the speed. he relies on time and space but he doesn't get those time and space because he doesn't have a rantanen to draw defender away. if mackinnon is playing all by himself with say a suter mikeheyev or hogs. teams can afford to cheat a little and play closer to him or sometimes even double him up.. but they can't really do that with mackinnon coz they have to be worried about where rantanen is on the ice.. mackinnon will still be a ppg guy over a point a game.. but it's almost guaranteed without rantanen he's prolly closer to 80-85 points right now and now almost 120. it's too bad miller and ep both requires the puck to create and don't really work well together on a line.. but at least miller have a poor man version of rantanen in boeser and have the size and strength to go thru defenders while ep have to straight rely on his creativity but have no one to draw defenders away from him. ep and mackinnon simply are not the same type of players.. of coz it's easier to watch when one is big strong and fast can blow thru a team.. watch team playing mackinnon.. they don't close in on him right away and slow him down.. they give him space and let him gather speed and blow thru teams.. then look at EP as soon as he gets the puck the other team just zeros in on him

11 hours ago, IBatch said:

Remember up until this year, almost this entire site gave up on Brock (not me, but was defending a hopeless battle or so it seemed).    And can show this again, but Millers 99 point season, he was playing all over the lineup with every single dick mary and joe at some point.     So let's not go there ok.   This is a very weak argument.   Get it you want EP to play with Brock.   It's not going to happen, why?   Because Miller and Brock together, are better than EP and Brock together, otherwise the coach would have done this already right? 

Like it or not.  Right now, and since he's arrived, JT Miller is a more complete hockey player than EP.   He's scored more points.   Hit a ton more.  And under Green, Bruce and Tochett now, has been given the green light to be the man (and play against top lines).   Don't re-call JT Miller getting the boot down to the third line to "get him going" like he did with Podz and Hogs.    Yes he had a crap start to last season, that's the worst he's done so far (Miller).    EP did the year before too.    And yes, the hope is, over time he will take over the number one role, certainly getting paid to.      A lot of people questioned whether Brock even was a top six winger the past couple seasons right, the majority has wanted him off the team for years.   Endless trade threads.   And some serious hate too.

Lotto line sucked under Green his last season.   Was broken up, Miller went from an 80 point pace to 120.   Don't like this - went from Miller verus Horvat, to Miller verus EP.   We all should know by now, who the actual boss is.   And that's fine, in 1-3 years,  maybe EP can do the same thing.    Not there yet.    EP learned how to forecheck from Miller, so did Brock (their own words Millers first year).    

We are lucky to have both guys.    Pressure for sure is now in EPs court to earn his massive pay bump. 

blah blah blah you are comparing guys that's older and further along in their career. when miller arrived at 26 he's definitely not outscoring ep at 25.. nor is he a more complete player.. he was somewhat a defensive liability with some attitude the first couple years until along came tocchet.. i can easily say EP last season was more complete player than Miller in any of his season prior to this one. a player entering his prime is outscoring a player that haven't even entered his prime prior?? that's unheard of right? ep career in vancouver he have distributed more points to different players on the team than Miller and it's not even close.

4 hours ago, Bonkers said:

When DJ comes back I sure hope they put him back with Blueger/Garland. I think EP40 would benefit from playing on the wing next to Lindholm for a while. 

Maybe outside the box, but what about placing two wingers with instant chemistry to flank Petey in Joshua and Garland to get him going.

Mik - Miller - Boeser

Joshua - Petey - Garland 

Hoz - Lindy - Podz

Suter - Blueger - Lafferty

9 minutes ago, NorthWestNuck said:

Maybe outside the box, but what about placing two wingers with instant chemistry to flank Petey in Joshua and Garland to get him going.

Mik - Miller - Boeser

Joshua - Petey - Garland 

Hoz - Lindy - Podz

Suter - Blueger - Lafferty

I just fell in love with DJ/Blueger/Garland line like everyone else. Two fourth liners and a middle 6 winger all elevating each others game. No matter how I look at it, we are one top winger short in top 6 (next to Höglander and Petey). 

I've said all I have to say on Pettersson's play and his contract. At this point, my sincere and honest hope is that Pettersson will have an amazing playoffs and that the team has success. If after that, people want to tell me I'm an idiot for having doubted him, I'll be all ears.

• Cheers 1

Where are all my old enemies?  The Benning lovers who went silent once the OEL thing made everything crystal clear?  

haha anyways… been quite a while for me

team looks good.  Got to remember that no team is always going to dominate.  Even the 2011 team had their moments.  So did the 83 oilers if my childhood self remembers (4-0 islanders win cup).  I’m old obviously

they got a chance.  So much parity it’s not gonna be pretty.   Done whine and bitch about a breakdown, it’s human nature…..   you work like a dog, get to be successful, then take the opponents for granted when you got something that works.

or….  You take for granted those you love, because you love them so you can use that as a base that you can count on.  But then they get pissed and rightly so, so you focus on them.   And then to handle the world you need to take them for granted so you can focus on work etc….   Rinse repeat.  Infinity cycle.

same thing with the psychology of a team.  So you get a cycle.  Shit happens.  Colorado is on a high.   They have been low and we’re going through relatively poor play.   This year might be their year again.

Canucks:  it’s too early.  They will get into the playoffs and lose.  Hopefully not at all … but hey, very likely.  Would be good to see them past the first round. Then they will learn from it until they can really make a push….  When the players save themselves for the playoffs…. Which I don’t think is happening here ????   

Even though you think you are ready, you never are.  Until you don’t care if you are ready or not, then you have a chance at winning

• Like 1

On 3/15/2024 at 3:29 AM, wai_lai416 said:

blah blah blah you are comparing guys that's older and further along in their career. when miller arrived at 26 he's definitely not outscoring ep at 25.. nor is he a more complete player.. he was somewhat a defensive liability with some attitude the first couple years until along came tocchet.. i can easily say EP last season was more complete player than Miller in any of his season prior to this one. a player entering his prime is outscoring a player that haven't even entered his prime prior?? that's unheard of right? ep career in vancouver he have distributed more points to different players on the team than Miller and it's not even close.

Miller played with everyone and the kitchen sink his 99 point season.    Blendered both by Bruce and by Green.    Yes his regular, has mostly been Brock though, 3 coaches now prefer that.    So not sure where "not even close" comes from.    Saying that he's been the most complete hockey player since he's arrived, and the top scorer, well one of them is subjective, the other a fact.     Agree EP is younger, just entering his peak prime years and should anywhere over the next 1-3 seasons (said this a lot too), take over as this teams number one center.    That's the whole point having both these guys.    Locking down those two roles is pretty important for any team with cup aspirations.     Miller is better at face offs, forechecking (as mentioned, both Brock and EP publicly thanked him for helping them with this part of the game), and hitting.     Doesn't tend to get into "slumps" in the same way.    EP had a fantastic season last year,  and things looked more or less the same to start this year ... past that every year he's had his struggles.  

Fully expect EP to end up passing Hank as this teams all-time leading scorer.   Aside from Bure and Linden, haven't seen anyone else come into this league and move up the lineup so quickly.    QHs too.  

Miller's 99 point year, the most i've seen an individual player, put a team on his shoulders and say let's go...in a long time.    And sure he had help.    Only Miller and Garland were really doing much of anything under Green.   Under Bruce, Miller was on a 120 point pace.  Last season was probably his worst, especially  the start.     EP outshone him for sure.  

This year, under Tochett, Miller's line has been tasked to go head to head at home, to play against the best in the world.    And during the brief Lotto line re-enactment,  Miller was taking the face-offs.     

Both guys can have positive outcomes if they aren't on the scoreboard.   In different ways.   If Millers line doesn't score, and isn't scored against the Mckinnon's, McDavids, Kucherov's of the league that's fine.    He's actually one of the best fantasy league players out there, ones that count hits, blocks, shots on net too.   

Will stand by it, so far, Miller has been the best overall player since he's arrived.    Nobody was expecting him to be a top ten scorer, let alone center when we traded for him.     Yet he became one.    

As for Brock, prior to this year, there were many on this site that completely gave up on him, and felt he was a black hole, an anchor.   

Here's Millers Green/Bruce season.   Part of the point of this article, was saying the best lines in hockey all play well over 400 minutes together.    This year, EP was given 3rd line minutes for a stretch of games to try and "get him going".  

The Lotto line was simply bad and did need to be broken up.   EP got time with everyone.    There is a dialogue now that he should get some time with Brock.   Find that hilarious given how much he apparently was holding Miller back.     This also showed that Miller was more effective than Horvat.   Who was traded the following year.   Don't know why people were on the trade Miller train (but get that someone needed to go to).   There are some on here that hate being wrong, and still want that I swear.   We are toast if he goes down in the playoffs.     Haven't seen EP put the team on his back or inspire in the same way, last year was a mess, he was a bright light for sure.    Hope for the future. 

Miller went to the All-Star game and came back and kept at it.   Sucks that some of that got wasted.    A hat trick against MIN for example.    EPs slump hasn't helped.   JT's just kept at it, as usual. 

IMG_1700.png

As a curiousity, only one line played more then 200 minutes together.    And EP/Horvat/Brock definitely didn't bring it. 

JT Millers on a 105 point pace, 40ish goal pace.   Hits, good face off guy, and is considered a power forward.    Deserves some recognition.     Also has close to 50 more assists then EP as a Canuck, since he arrived,  is that's not distributing scoring, i'm not sure what is.    9th most points as a center, since he arrived, ahead of Brayden Point ... EPs 15th.    Only 19 points behind Crosby who's 5th.     And let's be real, those were some bad/mediocre  teams.    EP for sure had a great season last year.   And sure he will in the future, but stand by that I believe,   JT Millers been the better overall player, since he arrived (more consistent anyways, and yet again going to get Hart votes)..   Fully expect them to switch roles in the future.   As soon as next year.   If the coach plays you head to head against the best lines ... and you still come out ahead.    That's something special.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

EP needs to take a page from the Sedins.

get stronger.   Sedins were noticeably better once their core strength etc improved and weren’t as easy to push off the puck.

EP needs to do the same.  I’m sure he has been given this advice - after all the Sedins are coaches for the team.    It will come.   And then he won’t be falling down and out muscled so often.  Aka he will make his own space - like the Sedins used to do (ok they weren’t bull dogs but relatively..::: hopefully that all makes some sense)

• Like 1