[Speculation] Steven Stamkos, disappointed by lack of extension talks, likely to play out season without new contract (again)

Here we go again.  Who remembers the last time this happened?

“To be honest, I've been disappointed in the lack of talk in that regard," Stamkos said. "It was something that I expressed at the end of last year, that I wanted to get something done before training camp started.

"There haven't been any conversations.”

“I would love to extend and play here and finish up my career here but that’s out of my hands," he added. "I can’t write a contract for myself.”

Here is the questionable press statement from GM BriseBois:

r/hockey - Julien BriseBois' full statement on the contract status of Steven Stamkos.

Is this still exciting news for Leafs fans 8 years later?

No surprise TBL haven't offered an extension. 

Tampa should move on and let Stamkos go to another team as UFA.

Stamkos will be 34 years old in February.  Spend the money on a younger player and pass the C to Hedman.

Edited by WHL rocks

If he's open to a shorter deal he'll likely get one done, if he wants a deal taking him closer to 40 Tampa would be wise to consider letting him walk despite the optics. Particularly because he won't come cheap. They won their cups, they made their finals, but it's more than likely Tampa will begin to decline as their top players age, assuming they haven't entered that phase already. 

It could be another Pittsburgh scenario, them trying to get the most out of the core while putting off the inevitable rebuild/retool. Tampa's been remarkably competitive for a long time, they're due for some tough, lean years. 

I can see him taking a 3-4 year deal and why wouldn't he?  But the issue is; if tampa brass want to overpay for role players and then crap on their captain who lead them to back to back cups so be it.  Any other team in the league would be thrilled to have PPG right shooting centre on their roster who is showing no real signs of slowing down.

44 minutes ago, Odjickwillkillyou said:

He will end up in Colorado if Landy does not have a full recovery. Could easily see him and Mac as 1/2 ala he and Point in TBL. 

Centre depth of

Mackinnon

Stamkos

Johansen

With the following on the wings.  Raantanen, Nicucshkin, Lehkonen, Drouin, Tatar.  I mean that's a very defensively solid top 9 ish especially if Landeskog can come back and Drouin can rekindle any level of magic with Mackinnon.

I don't see it happening as I don't see Stammer playing anywhere else at all but damn that'd be something to watch

Edited by Warhippy
  • Upvote 1

Can see why the GM is a bit hesitant.  But come on Stamkos is very close to a generational talent, and likely would have been if it weren't for his broken leg and a rash of injuries.    If Stamkos is expecting a term deal that's one thing, but it certainly doesn't appear that way.   Remember some saying we shouldn't re-sign the Sedins.   At 33.   Well won't get into that. 

Difference is TB is still a great team.   Their window is wider for longer.  

Don't have a problem with GMs looking five years ahead.   They've probably got a 2-3 year time table at most for one more cup run.    So why not work with Stamkos in that frame?   Offer him a 2-3 year deal. 

Edited by IBatch

17 minutes ago, Iron Fist said:

Doubt he takes a Hometown discount.  Already got 2 rings. Should be thinking about his Bank Account whole way through.  

Pretty sure his back account is pretty massive already.    TB no state taxes.   Guys loaded.   Guess we will find out won't we? 

4 hours ago, Integra250 said:

Sounds like the writing is on the wall? Toronto would love to have Stammer. I could see a Nylander trade for him. We would love to have Stammer but don't have the cap space for it.

Stamkos is too much man for the Leafs. He actually knows how to elevate in post season.

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Pretty sure his back account is pretty massive already.    TB no state taxes.   Guys loaded.   Guess we will find out won't we? 

Don’t forget, he get paid good money from sponsorships over the years, which adds on top of his contract already too. 

14 hours ago, elvis15 said:

Wild how they do this twice. I know they've had to be the most creative team in the league to keep everyone together for Cup runs, but you find a way if you really believe you want to let him retire there.

They dealt us arguably *OUR* best player and immediately won *TWO* straight cups.  They are a deep team.