[Signing] Canes extend Spencer Martin

Was already mentioned in the around the NHL thread, but considering he's an alumni I figured it deserved it's own thread 

Good for him tbh, he's not a starter but he's clearly a fine backup 

• Cheers 3

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/39745693/hurricanes-g-spencer-martin-agrees-1-year-extension

Carolina Hurricanes goaltender Spencer Martin agreed to terms on a one-year, $775,000 contract extension through the 2024-25 season, the team announced Saturday.

Martin, 28, is 4-0-1 with a 1.97 goals-against average and a .922 save percentage in five games with Carolina since being claimed off waivers from the Columbus Blue Jackets on Jan. 19.

"Spencer has been an excellent addition to our team," Hurricanes general manager Don Waddell said. "He stepped right in and played well for us, and we're excited to sign him for next season."

Martin owns a 21-25-7 record with a 3.47 GAA and a .889 save percentage in 56 games (51 starts) with the Colorado Avalanche, Vancouver Canucks, Blue Jackets and Hurricanes. He was selected by the Avalanche in the third round of the 2013 NHL draft.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Miss Korea said:

No one is saying otherwise...  He's played his way onto a contract extension on a contender team - why wouldn't we be happy for him?

I am very happy about him signing.

like 2 people said he is likely a career backup, although stranger things have happened thats not likely to change... as I also mentioned.

did you just come to flame, not needed

25 minutes ago, PeteyBOI said:

dude is what 30? he already is a career backup, the writings been on the wall for 3 or 4 years

So what's wrong with being a career NHL backup? You make maybe $750K to play maybe 25 games a year or less. You get to travel the length and breadth of North America, you have great seats at every game, you have all the great food you want, you receive immediate medical attention when necessary and your only job is to hold the fort while the number one guy has a night off. Pretty good gig, I'd say.

• Cheers 4

44 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

So what's wrong with being a career NHL backup? You make maybe $750K to play maybe 25 games a year or less. You get to travel the length and breadth of North America, you have great seats at every game, you have all the great food you want, you receive immediate medical attention when necessary and your only job is to hold the fort while the number one guy has a night off. Pretty good gig, I'd say.

do you have a problem? i said nothing about that

4 hours ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/39745693/hurricanes-g-spencer-martin-agrees-1-year-extension

Carolina Hurricanes goaltender Spencer Martin agreed to terms on a one-year, $775,000 contract extension through the 2024-25 season, the team announced Saturday.

Martin, 28, is 4-0-1 with a 1.97 goals-against average and a .922 save percentage in five games with Carolina since being claimed off waivers from the Columbus Blue Jackets on Jan. 19.

"Spencer has been an excellent addition to our team," Hurricanes general manager Don Waddell said. "He stepped right in and played well for us, and we're excited to sign him for next season."

Martin owns a 21-25-7 record with a 3.47 GAA and a .889 save percentage in 56 games (51 starts) with the Colorado Avalanche, Vancouver Canucks, Blue Jackets and Hurricanes. He was selected by the Avalanche in the third round of the 2013 NHL draft.

He's fine as a back up, he just can't handle the load of a starter. Not every goalie is cut out for that.

7 minutes ago, PureQuickness said:

And what exactly are you doing in your life?

HMMM..... I SMELL BAIT...

hey. im eating taxpayers dollars collecting welfare while i recover from a brain injury i suffered during my mental illness.

what about you? i expect an answer

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, PeteyBOI said:

HMMM..... I SMELL BAIT...

hey. im eating taxpayers dollars collecting welfare while i recover from a brain injury i suffered during my mental illness.

what about you? i expect an answer

You have no right to judge someone else then.

27 minutes ago, PureQuickness said:

the only that did is you....

so ill kindly ask you to check your mirror.

some peoples kids

• Confused 1

19 minutes ago, PeteyBOI said:

the only that did is you....

so ill kindly ask you to check your mirror.

some peoples kids

This is what you wrote. This sounds pretty damn judgmental.

23 hours ago, PeteyBOI said:

dude is what 30? he already is a career backup, the writings been on the wall for 3 or 4 years

• chaos 1

20 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

He's fine as a back up, he just can't handle the load of a starter. Not every goalie is cut out for that.

23 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

23 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

No one is saying otherwise...  He's played his way onto a contract extension on a contender team - why wouldn't we be happy for him?

im not even sure why you so mad? can you explain the exact word or words or something you think im implying so i can prove you are making things up in your head?

I gave the kid a career. some people in this thread called him a 3rd string. and others even said he's not a solid backup.

care to answer with truth?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, PureQuickness said:

People on government incomes don't have a right to judge other people? Yikes.

• Confused 1

19 minutes ago, PeteyBOI said:

im not even sure why you so mad? can you explain the exact word or words or something you think im implying so i can prove you are making things up in your head?

I gave the kid a career. some people in this thread called him a 3rd string. and others even said he's not a solid backup.

care to answer with truth?

I'm not even sure why you're so hung up on this.  It's the next day.

For what it's worth, no one would think you were happy for Martin after your first post.  Sounds like you're dissing him.

• Cheers 1